Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The vest thing is an absolute disgrace!

The only thing is though, if the guy has a mid 15 pb, and he's running mid 16 or slower himself, surely he's out for a tempo himself! Unless it's a tough course, or he's lost time.

Still decent day's work though.

I'm the other end of the scale. Beating people, and then hearing their pb is miles slower image

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

Defo do the mile, Bus.

I reckon you pace it by running as fast as you can for 1 mile? Bit like you paced Wokingham HM image

Oi! Technically, I'm still 3:0 up on Po10 against you for Wokingham image

Cheers Dean - useful advice. Nice casual PR PB too image

Touche image

Nice PR Dean, I didn't realise there was a V40 record or any age group records for that matter. Upon looking at Woodley. my last run was only 3 seconds off the record. That could be mine.

• Options

SG - i think the course is hilly for a 5k (but mountain goats like bus or matt would probably call it flat!) and lots of traffic passing back markers up hill. i think only 5 people have gone sub 16mins on it and we have guys in our club who are 14.20 - 14.40 types who "only" got 15.30 ish on it.    

Reg - i think there are age records for every 5yr grouping from 11 yrs old.  i had no idea until it was in the parkrun facebook message when i broke it previously but i would put my money on you finding 4 secs now you know.

• Options
    Frimley 27:15 (19'07)

Reading 27:20 (19'22 but 18'51 excluding ones at Dinton winter course)

Woodley 27:31 (18'54)

Wycombe 28:03 (19'28 but only done once and very wet that day)

B'stoke 28:05 (19'05)

M'head 29:23 (19'00)

Gadebridge 30:07 (SG special, never done it!)

S Oxhey 30:09 (ditto)

Bracknell 30:51 (19'10)

It's all down to the demographic. Frimley, Reading and Woodley have a good depth at the sharp end. Bracknell is bottom heavy.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Even better than Dean. I expect i'd come along and have a tale of how it's Mount Everestimage

Funny the old 5 year slots in parkruns. A little scary seeing 35-39 on the records, but I have a clean sweep of 1st in that category so far! 

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Pete, i'm sure you once said you don't ever go flat out in parkruns, yet now are saying you always do your best on the day image

You do seem to have a very narrow range though, about 15secs from Woodley that a few have told me is very fast, to Basingstoke, which a few have said is a hard course! I reckon if you did Gadesbridge or Oxhey you'd probably only be within 15 too image

SG, it's a bit of both; I don't treat them like I would a Battersea 5k or go easy the day before, but once I get there and start I'm pretty much running the fastest I can on the day. I think your conclusion is right that there is not that much between my average times. That's because its only 5k and many of the courses are pretty similar in overall speed having off road parts, the odd hill and some tarmac stretches. Its only a the extremes you get big differences like Dulwich and Fulham being very fast and Alice Holt and (taking the times and Simon's word for it) Tring very slow. I also agree with Iron's comment about the variation in numbers at the sharp and blunt(?) ends. Bracknell is packed with slow "runners", some of the 1 minute walk 1 minute run variety!   

BTW I've done Dean's one a few times too up in Stoke as my sister lives there and that's not an easy course, git of a hill to do twice even if it is tarmac. Makes the mid 16 time when not even going 100% for it even more impressive.

• Options

I think you just get a polarisation of times. If I am looking for a fast 5k I will go to a fast course. Hence I wont go to Bracknell. I might go to Bracknell to do a tempo run though. This exaggerates the difference, hence I'd disagree that 'it's all down to demographic'.

All this PR talk has got me tempted to do one this weekend. Maybe a V40 record attempt, Bracknell looks soft at 18:14. Must be a slow course.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Reg - you need to get the V40 record at Woodley while you can.  I turn 40 next year...

• Options

Yes, good incentive. 

It was only recently you turned 39 so I have plenty of time to break it. Also plenty of time to bring it down to something more challenging for you image

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Dachs - you turn 40 next year.  Go and humour me...  When did you start running?  And how fast (or slow) were you when you were my age? (34)

EDIT:  I just looked at your Po10 which was the obvious thing to do...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

CC, some of the super vets on here were also track pimps as kids, which probably should be factored in. As opposed to footballers like me who realised that bar scoring goals, it was the running bits they preferred!

Another parkrun comment (what has happened to me!), is that I saw there's some Indian fella, possibly about 132 years old, who has a wava of 178% or so.

That's what sends wava into complete pointless territory for me, as i thought the whole point was that 100% was world record equivalent.

8mile single today, felt a little knackered and hip a little achey, but usual sub 7. Be glad to rest up for 24hours now.

Completely empty plan for rest of week. Might do a track sesh, might do a parkrun, might do both, or might do neither!

Probably not ideal if i was striving for pbs, but for the current situation, perfect really.

• Options

Suck it up whilst you can boys, I'm 40 the year after Dachs; plenty of time to work on my running image

• Options

SG, the WAVA tables are infrequently updated and (IMHO) are generally inaccurate in the less populated areas, so less data for older runners and less data for females vs males.

parkrun is pretty much 50.50 male and female but look at any parkrun, so I pick Maidenhead as an example as you recently did this, and look at the top 10 age graded results, For Maidenhead, there are 8 ladies and 2 gents (including our own PeteM in at 9th place) and the 8 ladies are 5 vets, 2 senior and 1 junior, the 2 gents are both vets. Why is there such a bias towards ladies and old ones in particular?

• Options

Maybe that's who lives in Maidenhead? St Andrews has 6 men and 4 women, and at least one of each is a junior. There's an old bloke first on 91.06 and a little girl next on 90.64.

Edit: blimey, I'm barely clinging to a top 50 spot (having scrolled down a LOT...); need to try a bit harder!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm still rocking a top 9 at South Oxhey from its 87 events...and that's a high standard race image

The beauty of parkruns and who might turn up is seen in the last 4 races there

Talk about changeable... the 2 17s are that dutch geezer V45-49

He's had a nice intro to parkruns, done 4, 4x1sts

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Why is there such a bias towards ladies and old ones in particular?

The bias in St Andrews if you go further down the list might be towards speedy juniors, but part of the explanation is that if you are in a junior or a vet age category, you can be in the rankings several times, each time you change age group and get a high WAVA score. At my 'old' home parkrun, Beeston, two of the older ladies in the top 10 are in fact the same one.

• Options

If we are discussing Maidenhead, perhaps there is a WAVA bias towards scumbags?

Woodley has Dachs 9th, Pete 20th & I'm down in 39th image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

As someone who worked in Maidenhead, I can confirm Lit's theory that it is full of old people.

CC82 wrote (see)

Dachs - you turn 40 next year.  Go and humour me...  When did you start running?  And how fast (or slow) were you when you were my age? (34)

Potted history:

• mediocre club runner from 13-18, mainly XC but some track.  Gave up at 18 when I went to uni and discovered a more rewarding lifestyle
    • 14 years of nowt
    • Took up recreational jogging to lose a bit of weight (I was never fat per se, but a bit round around the edges) once a week aged 32/33
    • Entered a few races in 2011 aged 33/34, still only jogging once a week, dipped under 40 minutes for 10K
    • Started properly training at end of 2011 aged 34.
    • PBs by the time I turned 35 were 34:19 for 10K, 1:17:23 for half (I think)
  • Options
    CC82 wrote (see)

cc - i hadnt even started jogging at that point and would be at least another 4or so yrs before i trained.  so you have plenty of time on your hands.   at 34 i was about to retire from hockey and was over 14 stone , thanks to a combined pizza and corona diet (apparently the lime slice in the beer doesnt count as 1 of the 5 a day).  though even at that weight i was still fast in a 30m sprint.

when i was 37/38 ish i did a half in 93 mins

the following yr a 5k in 18.28 & 10k in 35.34.

• Options

..Anyway enough of Parkrun for a bit. Fecking joggers image. SG - Yes Tring is slow, like a xc course basically.

*sucks air through teeth*....Well you see a few of these good vets have run before as kids you know - gives them such a massive advantage when they are older image. Obviously it doesn't really, but I was jokingly arguing that Dean & the Invicta Kent guy in the 1500's at Watford had an advantage. Fair play to Les Newell - still getting faster with no running background. Bit miffed I didn't join a club when I was younger, but my Dad only started in 1984 and I didn't really think about joining a club too - loved my footie too much! Joined Herne Hill in 2000.

So Luton last night 8 x 1k. Set up was basically all the way round the outside of  2 end to end rugger pitches and then half again. First one 3.12 then mainly 3.07/3.08's with a 3.05 at the end. 90 secs recovery. Felt pretty good and legs felt strong. All good.

• Options

sounds like you have the advantage simon,  i joined a club in 2011, you have 11 years on me ...what have you been doing mate image  strong session last night as always (you seem to smash out 1k reps with ease).  i did 8*800 with longer recovery and wasnt as quick as yours.

• Options

I started running Jan 2010, did 5k, 10k & HM in the first year then joined a club in Oct 2010. On the first 10k run with them I thought I was going to die.

Bought a bike in 2011 to cross-train. Then learnt to swim again. I think that was my downfall. Proper running PBs dried up after Dec 2013 apart from last year's soft HM PB on a previous soft PB.

• Options

My first 10k was at Shinfield, must have been around 2006, I thought the KM markers were miles. That was the hardest 4k of my life.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've said it before (the past) no doubt, so I'll mention today's effort based on the younger Brownlee's blown up performance instead.

If you've seen the footage so to speak, did anyone notice that despite blowing up, JB was still able to bounce along like a rubber ball. In fact he was bouncing about all over the place. There's a clue to speed there.

In the Olympic final, if you slow the recording down, you can see the runners just bouncing as if on springs.

So with that in mind, I went out for a five miler and just aimed to jog along on my toes. First mile 7:46 so good off stone cold start. Next 7:01. That's a surprise, didn't seem that fast. Imagined a 7:15 for the next but it was 6:46, then another 6:40 something and finally a 6:33!

I was only hoping for an average in the 7:30's. Hmm.

Last night I went to the track to have a look at the coaching situation...

No!

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

for some reason I have an image of you on tippy toes looking round shouting "chase me" and "i'm free" image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

as for the Brownlee's, very nice story, look after your brother etc, gorgeous, enough to make doves weep.

But..a few people were already questioning their teamwork beforehand, surely physically hauling someone along and dumping them over the finish line isn't really acceptable at the top level!?

Where do you draw the line? Would it have been ok if it was someone from the crowd/some medical person? Course it wouldn't have,

ps, I did say it was lovely, so allow the gentle question...

• Options

Just natural Yorkshire grit coming in to play image. Probably allowed in tri - after all, they get a bike to sit down on, and a wet suit to help em float image

First ever track race tonight - the mile. I'm really glad I did it in the end - thoroughly enjoyed it, and it's a rare treat feeling like racing again ten minutes after! As a bonus I even managed to do part of my warm up with Cooray!

As for the race itself, I was actually a bit nervous beforehand for a change. There was a mix of runners, from 10 year old kids to old blokes and everything in between - can't remember how many. I didn't know what to expect, but put 5:25 as my expected time on the entry sheet, but secretly hoped for sub 5:20, given I know I can knock out 1:20 400s when on form, so should be easy, right?

Anyway, first 400 and I'm just behind 5th place in 1:17. Slightly quick, but not too uncomfortable. Second lap, I must have eased up, as I went through 800m in 2:42, so slipped behind target. Lap 3 felt suitable hard, and I missed the lap time. Still in 5th, but a bit of a gap ahead.  Lap 4, I actually managed to pick up the pace a little and despite not managing to catch the guy in 5th put in a reasonable sprint for the line to finish in 5:25.5. As I didn't vomit, I can only assume I didn't race hard enough image. The biggest loss of time was in the 2nd lap I reckon, so lessons learnt for next time - and I'll definitely do another! It was also a wee bit breezy, so I'll claim a second or two for that image

I stayed to watch the first few laps of the 10,000. Cooray was lapping people after 2 laps, making it look easy and way, way in front when I left, including a few 32 min guys!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Bus, did my first mile race in Battersea in July and though finishing in 5'20 found it harder than any other race all year. Was gasping for breath at the end and coughing the rest of the night. So the fact you inadvertently took the 2nd lap conservatively and also finished feeling relatively ok means you could surely do a bit faster. Well done anyway and I'm sure you could beat my time if you try the Battersea one next year.

Why "no" to coaching Ric?; you must have more experience than anybody

• Options

I'm sure I could take few seconds off next time, but dipping below your 5:20 might prove a step too far. That time shows you can take the pain Pete, and I'm guessing that's the key to middle distance track races!!! It certainly felt bloody hard crossing the line, but I was surprised how recovery seemed to be quite quick afterwards. If the steeplechase hadn't been so long after i might have been tempted image

• Options

Top work Bus.

Re Triathlon, considering we do the cycling and swimming on top of what you runners do, I reckon it's fair to give us a wetsuit and a saddle image.

I stayed up to watch that Brownlees triathlon. Glad I did, it was hilarious live. In Tri you are allowed help form fellow competitors but not supporters/marshalls. I'm not sure it will catch on though.

I went to track tonight and it was a bit fragmented. We did lots of drills on the agility ladder and jumping back and forth over discs and stuff. The running was short and low in volume.

Worked out as 7 x 100 & 3 x 300! I carried on and did another 300 & 400.

100s were 16-18secs (lane 3)

300s were 58,52,51,52 (Think the first was a watch error)

400 was 68

We were told to pace them all the same around 5k pace which would have been too easy.