Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

I joined about an hour ago Lit and I've read it all already. It's not s entertaining as Colin on here though.

• Options

Been following the fun on FB sub-3. Synopsis is that a 33 year old guy, https://themarathonmarcus.wordpress.com, who just finished his 12th marathon in New York with a time of 3:59:11 and has a PB of 3:35:03 got called out for being on the sub-3 group. I can see both sides of the argument, but the bottom line is that he is a twat and deserves to be called out.

16 for me yesterday. My Gamin trace says 13 miles at 7:18 pace but it died and the last 3 were a bit of a death march but as I gave blood on Thursday I a not too concerned.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a bunch of elitist fannies being a right bunch of condescending bastads to me.

I mean the sub 3 thread....not us lot image

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Sounds like a bunch of elitist fannies being a right bunch of condescending bastards to me.

Disagree. There are two parts to elitist: the first part is the selection criteria and the second part is that those selected are in some way superior. The sub-3 group is a self-support group for people who want to run sub-3 and it makes sense to have it filtered of irrelevant material.

• Options

I agree that he has called out a guy with definite narcissistic tendencies, who is posting far too much of himself (and his photos!) on the group, but the wording of his original post was always going to cause a storm of abuse, given its designed for support! Still, livened up an otherwise very dull evening!

• Options

My first read of the sub 3 group. The guy that got called out was about 50% of the posts I could see and he does appear to be a twat. Posting lots of stupid photos of himself and some links to crap I'd never read.

The guy that called him out was absolutely right to do so but the trouble is the way he went about it. He seems to be a bit of a twat too that is a bit too please with himself to have run sub 3 and obviously feels that he's earned the right to join the group by doing do. 

Like you Bus I love things like this, have you read any of the threads with angry Colin on?

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

My oh my it was cold out there this morning.  About -5 or so I think.  Jesus.

So - achieved my year's goal on Saturday by running 17:27 @ Aberdeen Parkrun to secure my third distance at gold standard for the club.  Pretty delighted with that overall but it was a bit weird on Saturday as it was almost business like.  I had to go and run 3:30 kilometres x 5 in a row and that's pretty much what I did.  I entertained a bit of a race near the end as I was closing on the guy in first for the last couple of kms and my pace had slipped probably by about a second with 1k to go so ran something like 3:26 for the last one.  I got within 3 seconds of the "winner" and reckon I could have taken him if I'd gone all in but all I was really interested in was sub 17:30.  That guy ran 35:2x at the same 10k as me last week, so was pretty pleased to be even giving him a scare over 5k...

Didn't run yesterday and 13 this morning @ 7:15s.  Baltic.

Don't think I'll have any more road races this year, so here's a list of what I've done just for fun.

1500m - 4:44 (first go at the distance)

3000m - 10:05 (first go at the distance)

3k - 9:57 (PB from the 3000 above)

5000m - 17:44

5k (parkrun) - 17:27 (PB from last year was 17:58)

10k - 36:11 (PB from last year was 37:41)

HM - 82:40 (PB from last year was 83:49)

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Where is angry Colin?  I need some entertainment at lunchtime.

• Options

I reckon we could bait him by starting a thread on immigrants and relate it to running somehow.

Cracking PB CC it's been a good year. HM looks soft now image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice one CC,you're really on the up at the mo. And i'm guessing that parkrun isn't one of the 5 or so out of 500 that are fast either. Never really got into parkruns myself, don't get em image

PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Sounds like a bunch of elitist fannies being a right bunch of condescending bastards to me.

Disagree. There are two parts to elitist: the first part is the selection criteria and the second part is that those selected are in some way superior. The sub-3 group is a self-support group for people who want to run sub-3 and it makes sense to have it filtered of irrelevant material.

surely the guy easily meets the "wants to run sub 3" part.image Just because he's nowhere near and you're excluding him.

But yes, it's much more fun watching other people scuffle

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Is that the same Colin who refuses to use any part of the underground rail network on account to the threat to his omnipotence from bombers and other assorted terrorists?

Just as well he stays away. I mean, if he was such a target, there's no telling the amount of collateral damage which could be inflicted upon the innocent people of London.

Though as Dirty Harry said, "Innocent of what?

Meanwhile there's running and racing.

Well done to all weekend racers. Still surprised the Bus managed to race at all considering the damage inflicted by stamping on, ???? what?

Was it one of these?

/members/images/493151/Gallery/jacks.png

Today I did another small hill session.

Wu of a mile or so and then 8 x 200m up a 7 - 8m average climb.

Managed the job in trainers averaging 5:40 min mile pace. Hr topped at 173 bpm.

No niggles to speak of at all.

I'm having a rest day because of that.

🙂

• Options

Not as sharp as those Ric. Not exactly sure what it was - small cube of metal. The heel has, well, healed though still slightly sore first thing until I've moved about on it. The resultant calf was more the worry, but it held up - just! I membered I had calf socks in my draw and have left them on since yesterday - they do seem to be working. Good work on the hill reps btw.

CC - very well done on the new PB image

Must find this angry Colin bloke then!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

SG - I have no idea where Aberdeen sits in relation to other Parkrun but it's the fastest Parkrun course I've been on in that it is pretty much flat.  The wind is normally an almighty pain in the ass as it's on the beachfront but there was barely any wind on Saturday for a change - so pretty fast course on paper at least.  The other side of it is though that there aren't loads of folk running sub 18 every week there.  It gets the odd outlier performance when a really fast guy turns up and runs a 15:xx but that's pretty uncommon.  I've ran it 6 times from 19:34 down to 17:27 and always been top 10 - 10th, 7th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd.

• Options

Hi All

The sub 3 thing sunds good, but I've got enough with 'I am or used to be a runner group. Thought you meant the sub 3 thread on here - shame we can't poach PP and Padams for this thread. Thread loyalties I suppose image

Hoping niggles for Reg and ML84 clear up. ML - Your club was discussed in the pub Saturday by our resident Herne Hill Burnley fan as one of the best clubs in the area. Decent runs from Bus and CC82. Always ear about the mythical 'Herbert's hole' from an LBAC member who always runs it.

So, London Champs. Love this race, quieter and more chilled out than the southern and better conditions. Its a strange course of 2k,2k,3k,3k laps. Conditions were great underfoot and felt better than last week. Went off steady amd due to the smaller field, generally had my place in the 3rd lap - in the last lap I was pretty isolated. Felt ok though and was closer to the guys who walloped me last week. Still a good 30 secs slower than Jim Cooper of Harrow and Martin Shore of THH. I know Jim will be at the southern masters, so getting a medal this year will be a very tall order. Hey ho, I'm at the top of the age range now.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i take it back then CC, no extra dibs for you image

Simon, we don't want any more super star fasties on here thank you image

Seems there's a simple solution to the headfone tedium, the ipod in-ear ones i've had the whole time! Was heavy rain and wind at lunch, knew that'd be a killer to the over ear ones, trialled it, they stayed in, so will keep using them for at least the short runs for now!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

is this Colin, the Mcloughlin (or something close) guy with the yellow square as his icon?

One of those guys who never ever mentions running, yet hangs around on a running forum?

• Options

Yes Mclaughlin I think.

I had a bit of fun with him on this one http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/effect-of-weight-loss-on-times/341361-4.html

He doesn't seem to like me much.

Nice reps Ric.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers Reg, I felt like I was powering along.

I've got some of those Bose noise cancelling things. Long haul flights to NZ, they made all the difference. Currently gathering dust. Don't listen to music one month to the next.

As for Harrow AC. Two days ago, an email from me to them went:

Please accept my resignation.

I see the results from the SEAA  London XC champs are finally up.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/lette.jpg

🙂

• Options
    Tell me about it. Not that there were many people running either. Classic SEAA
  • Options

Who'd have thought there'd be a "Laugh" in McLaughlin image. Seems a right piece of work!!

Still seems like a good bit of work Simon!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes Bus, the guy's a joke for sure.

🙂

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Who'd have thought there'd be a "Laugh" in McLaughlin image. Seems a right piece of work!!

I  assume it is pronounce m cock lan

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I always wonder if some of these guys used to be really good runners and now are in their older days, are a bit bored by the running stuff, so instead chat more about every day things.

As if they're just absolute casuals, why use a running forum, why not use any other general type one?

Anyway, following last week's sessions, i fancied moving the 800s to 1ks, so today was

6x1k off 90secs vaguely at "10k pace". 
    Using Last week's 1.22 a lap, that'd give 3.25 benchmark.

So a bit of a similar vibe to the 8x800s, in that I eased in, and then things went up a gear.  At this pace, the in ear phones fell out every so often, but not too bad.

Little bit rainy, little bit windy, but still get a lot of satisfaction from completing these sort of sessions. Breathy, but can I say it's any different to how it used to be? That's impossible to judge now.

Meant to be off to Newport this evo for a Wycombe away, but am hoping it gets called off... it's the worst pitch in the league, which also has rugby played on it (a guarantee to make a crap pitch worse), and the weather there has been horrific...

just hope it's called off before midday as i've booked a half day just for this! Best case, called off before 1pm, worst case, still not decided when setting off, and called off when there, or it's started!!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Nice reps SG.  Very nice. image

Why don't you just not go to the football instead of waiting for it to be called off...?  I mean, it sounds like you really don't want to go, so why go??

8 miles this morning for me, came out at 7:26 average.  Pretty tired for some reason today.  Maybe the lack of sleep is catching up a bit but I could not be arsed this morning.  I'm normally not feeling tired on the drive into work, but I was this morning.  Not helped by a random road closure and ridiculous diversion adding 10-15 mins on.  Got to the office and whilst sitting on the toilet pre-run, I could barely be bothered to even stand up.  The weather was horrible, etc. etc.  But got up and got on with it.  Supposed to be 7:15-7:21 pace but the effort to get it down to that after a slow first couple of miles (with big hill) at about 7:50s just wasn't there.  First run like that for a while.  Hopefully just a one-off, "hangover" type run after eventually getting my gold standard at the weekend (and I did run 13 miles yesterday morning!).

• Options

Doh - wonder why you were a wee bit tired then CC image Nice to get that image of you on the bog too!

Great reps SG!

Tired legs this morning. We have officially returned to the season of mud!!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If conditions are fine, i'll be up for it. I think it's just that risk it'll be a washout. However, it's all arranged and seems like it's all on unless a monster downpour comes!

Some runs you just have to suck up CC, so well done seeing it through, Sometimes there';s that "after the lord mayor's show" aspect.  I could quite often feel that on the Wed medium long   run. You've done your hard work on the Tue, and got up for it, so it feels like the work is done, so even an easier paced run feels harder in a way!

I think the run i used to find the least motivation for,  was when i used to do saturday doubles. You'd get back from the footy game, and the last thing you could be assed doing was a little run. Needless to say i've long cut that one out.

• Options

Respect for getting it done CC - I felt like that last week, but then the news of the AFD girls gave me the oompf to get out there and do it. Respect if you go to Newport away too SG! Good reps btw.

SEAA finally got their stuff together, was 33rd in the end on Saturday. Halved the time I was behind some of the guys from the week before, so going in the right direction.

• Options

Nice reps SG, I have nothing with which to make it pale this week. Just an easy 7.5 at lunch. I'm hoping to up my mileage from this week so will probably introduce the run commute again. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Run and cycle for me today. 

The run was only a steady/easy job but took a diversion onto a running track to do some research on stride length/cadence/speed.

Apart from the 290/300 strides to do the 1/4 mile, I was confused by the Garmin showing 5:55 min ml pace. I was thinking 6:30's max. Had to scroll a couple of times to realise I really was doing 5:55's.

Handyimage!

🙂

• Options

Nice!

Double today, so run home through the woods in the dark. Only to slip up on a wet wooden step in my back garden hidden under wet leaves. I landed on the sharp edge of the step but luckily my spine broke the fall! Nothing serious, but bloody painful and swollen up the size of an apple.