Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, there must be something about Cabbage Patch marshals which tends to zero.

My brush with these items was coming along the Thames towpath towards the end of the '10', at the point we turn right up on to the main road.

In the old days we would never have been off the main road at anytime which was why it was such a fast course.

On this day, and for me a new course. As I approached the marshal alone, he stepped to one side and for all the world directed me straight ahead. Wrong! he was stepping aside to have a natter with some other twat.

I went straight on and he went ape. I came back and as I passed, politely told him to do his 'f..ing' job.

He didn't think that was funny.

To be fair, most of us don't tend to spend as much time checking out the finish stretch as we do finding the start. I imagine that serial winners of races always check out the finish.

🙂

• Options

Especially if you've raced it before image

No excuse for that sort of marshaling on a race like the CP10, which is very high profile and costs a bomb to enter, but I can forgive this one which is as low key as it gets and was £3 to enter image.  Can't quite understand why the marshal wasn't at the junction, but I should have been looking out for the sawdust arrows I guess....

Just worked it out though - I did an extra 0.25M image

What a twat! How could I have not have realised they weren't going to finish the race actually IN the pub! To be fair, its not easy to think straight when you are running at sub 6 and starting to panic!

• Options

In my marshalling experience, you can repeatedly shout 'TURN RIGHT' while pointing to the right and standing behind a flour arrow pointing right and deliberately blocking the only path that does not lead to the right, and people will still try and monster past you and then swear at you when you have to call them back.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

From the earlier report.

It was now just a salvage job as I lapsed into a pace not much faster than a tempo job but with a lot less pain.

Wrong word. This is meant to be more pain.

On the marshal and 'which direction to go? front'. What works best of all is a massive day-glo arrow on an stand, fixed at about eye level. 

An addition to the news about George Michael, or rather the subject of the news in an historical sense. It's one area where my advanced years has an advantage; if I can call it an advantage?

At 56 years of age I remember Wham the day they appeared on TOtP. What I was doing when Dave Bowie was singing Starman. And Michael Jackson when he was a 12 year old with the Jackson Five.

Other stuff like watching Coe and Ovett on the TV at their peak. And other stuff on the TV which would be banned today.

It's strange being around when these people arrived and somewhat disconcerting when they go. Especially when it appears before their time

It's the media age. We're going to get a lot more headlines like today.

And in keeping with what old geezers like me do of a morning. Today I went and ran 12 miles averaging 7:45's with well over 500 feet of climbing.

This is the best long (ish) run since - can't remember. Felt good.

I did a couple of longer runs back in February, but they half killed me despite being of a slower pace.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

erm, thanks guys image

8 today, legs felt the same as pre yesterday as in a little knackered, but as usual, a little too fast at 6.45

Need to hold out until Saturday for my rest day, as Wycombe have an away game at Cheltenham Friday night, meaning sat would be good to just lay about and relax, so will probably just go for 6&4 wed and fri, and 8 Thur.
    Could no doubt have taken an extra day off due to 2 races in 3 days, with a 10 in between, but we'll carry on for now.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

almost forgot the key bit, back to work for 3 days coming up. first time in 10 years I've got this period in! But then first week of Jan off, the worst week of the year as everyone is miserable as sin! So aint all bad

• Options

8 for me too today. Hills and mud....also felt knackered, but still enjoyed it. I'm back to work tomorrow too image but only for 2 days, then LFOTM and my last race of the year. Last ditch attempt at a single PB for 2016 too (if I can lay off the mince pies!)

• Options

Well done yesterday, SG! Good to pin a number on! And well done SC, also!

Come and say hello on Friday, Bus (and anyone else for that matter). SG managed to spot me a couple of years ago without too much difficulty. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

have a good race chaps. Will definitely try and get to one of these again. Just the slight awkwardness of it being a working day lunchtime! But normally have some holiday to mess around with, or at a stretch might even be doable as a half day working before and after as per the Ealing mile!

• Options
    Good long run Bus and Ric, sounds like it's all going well. Good parkrunning PeteM.

So the Aylesbury 5k. Decent 15 min warm up with my mate and great to be able to use the Spoons type pub for changing. So did a few strides and had an eye out to see if I could spot SG- and he was there near the start, bit thinner than his picture. Quick chat then we were off.

So kept it steady around the tight first loop and settled into 4th after about 1k. Knew it was Owain Jones out in front, didn't know the name of the Chiltern guy at the time. 3.00 dead at 1k and 6.40 after. At halfway didn't feel amazing, perhaps gone out too fast, but 9.40 at 3k made me think I was Ok. However starting to feel increasingly heavy legged despite now being in third. So came through the uphill part and into the flat and downhill part of the town centre hoping that the finish would be coming quickly! Stumbled into the finish in 16.27, so sub 16.30 is ok on that course, can take 20 secs off that course if it were flag.

Had a nice chat and warm down with SG and a drink in the pub with him also. Shame I only got a bottle of wine for third, seeing as 1st got a voucher for fifty quid,

But all in all another good morning out.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Simon, and you did well if 20secs is your fast course to this course reduction.

I was 29secs down on a solo time trial at Upton Court (17.20) and like to think a BP or Dulwich might give a 17 or just under. Clearly i need to recover the "pushing it" part to my races, rather than "this'll do hard".

Freezing cold today, quite glad neither of my two 5ks were in this cold, as it might have been a bit dodgy hanging around in a vest beforehand.
    6 done and dusted, next to empty office, with little to do! Sort of great, sort of rubbish!

• Options

Nice one Simon - cracking time on that course.

Aley - will you be wearing a pink carnation? image

Easy lunchtime run for me today. Hope the pavements will have de-frosted by then - looked pretty treacherous in places this morning!

• Options

No, Bus, although the orange vest as per picture left is now almost pink rather than orange! Will race in this, and to warm up (which will be much needed if it is as cold as it is here today) I will be wearing a top that should indicate who I am! 

Well done SC: doesn't sound the quickest of courses. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You'll spot him Bus. Good luck chaps, hope it warms a little!

Aylesbury results out, 17.49 as thought, and 8th position.

7th did 17.11! So 38secs ahead, no wonder i wasn't going to bust a gut to catch up! But when you beat the people you should beat, it can go down as a decent turnout. It'd take a fast course for me to better 17.11, and thatchap is probably a mid 16s guy

Charlie May in 6th too, so the quality stretched way down from Simon and the super quick front 2.

Look at the pbs the front runners have and what they did at Aylesbury and i think that says it all.

• Options

You've got to factor what they might have eaten and drunk on Christmas day as well as the course.

I'm guessing Simon didn't hold back on the turkey and ale image

• Options
    Funnily enough, probably about my normal Xmas day drinks wise, couple of glasses of red and a couple of beers. So didn't go mad tbh, but I usually do the Poole 'round the lakes' 10k if I'm down at my mums, so always do a Boxing Day race. I suppose that way I've never got that pissed on Xmas day.

Did go down the pub Boxing Day afternoon though, to curse at Sky Sports news as Chelsea's goals went in. Had about 6/7 so bit delicate yesterday. Down at my folks now so done the usual 15-16 miler past the uni, past Mecca (the Vitality stadium), down to the beach and back up through the gardens. Buggered now like.

Incidentally Lily Partridge did 33.24 for third this year at Poole. That would have been a struggle!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, i doubt at least 6 of the 7 ahead of me were exactly overdoing it   image

• Options

You disappoint me Simon image

I didn't really overdo it Christmas day, but still felt a bit bloated and lardy before the Boxing Day race!

Easy five at lunch today  - didn't exactly feel easy though!

• Options

Bugger - I've just been given a free entry to the Richmond 10k in March, but it's the same day as the Fleet Half! Gives me something of a quandary that...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

For a man of your tightwadderation, there's no decision to be made imageimageimage

• Options

Yeah, but, the 10k is multi-terrain and hilly, so kinda neither here nor there. It also starts at 8am!!!  Fleet is probably the only chance of a decent half next year, so even with my tight waddery I'm in a dilemma image

• Options

Aley - just realised, the LFOTM is on a revised course because of the Winter Wonderland thing. Do you know if it is as quick as the standard one? ta!

• Options

I've done both and have to say that for me there seems little difference! When I do the standard one I seem to get put in the B race, even though my last three times have been quicker than the 22 minute cut off point. The advantage for me of the two lap revised course is that it is a straight race, so hopefully more people to pick off, whereas I tend to get quite isolated in the B race. The other advantage is that it is less affected by the wind, which can interfere on the far side of the Serpentine; to counter that Friday's course is hillier! Little in it I suspect, and looking at past results it is difficult to draw a conclusion! 

I note that SG ran 17:26 in May 2015 on the course we will run, if that's any guide! We had to do the alternative course that day in pretty grim weather as the world triathlon champs were being set up for the next day. Glad it was that course as the wind would have been an even bigger factor than it was.

I'd do Fleet, by the way! I have done the Richmond 10k and was underwhelmed. One of my athletes was first lady and got a pathetic medal whilst her mum won her age group and got nothing. Unless it was a different Richmond 10k as there seem to be a lot of them!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The other bit of balance to that May 2015 LFOTM 5k time, is just 4 day earlier i'd done a 16.59 at BP.

That's one swing over 4 days!

But looking back it's very easy to forget the conditions as Aley mentions. Although it's also likely that the sub 17 took off that tiny top end that you can find when seeking a special time, and not just a good hard race

I have heard from others that the "other" route is the faster one. Will have to get back one month it's run to see!

• Options

Hmm, not liking the word "hillier" especially as its forecast to be perfectly still on Fridayimage

Hey ho, what will be, will be! Many silly little dogs on stoopid long leads on the course???

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I was going to say look on the bright side, it's an opportunity to get another "slot" on the PO10...

got my 4th one, to go along with 1m, parkrun and 5m.

But then obviously you've done a 5k already at BP.

next year might be a good bit of fun to see who can rack up the most different slots on there.
    (you see how the aims have subtly changed away from getting pbs to just turning up at stuff these days image)

• Options

Hyde Park is not as flat as it looks on the map! 

Friday's course: http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/lfotm5k_course.html

After the flat start it goes uphill until about the half a mile mark. There is another short hill at 2k which hits you on the second lap with perhaps half a mile to go.

The above is the one you did in May, SG.

The summer course starts at the bandstand and heads in the opposite direction towards Queen Elizabeth gate, sharp left up Broad Walk and then at some point down to the left back on to Serpentine Road. There is then an anti-clockwise loop of the Serpentine, finishing back at the bandstand. A couple of short sharp climbs in the last mile. And it always seems to be wind against on the way back from the Marlborough Gate. Well that's my excuse anyway.

• Options

Checking out an OS map, it looks like you cross the 5m contour line 4 times on each line, whihc would be roughly 40m or 120 feet. Not exactly hilly, but still far more climbing than Battersea, but you do get partial compensation by having the same downhill I guess!

Might be losing interest now given the whole point was a pb attempt, especially as I seem to be developing a stinking cold!

We'll see - still kinda fancy a London race anyway....

• Options
    Still a potential pb course! Decent standard field helps. One of my friends ran 15:02 on it a couple of years ago.
  • Options

Mebbe - will probably still give it a whirl if this lurgy subsides!