Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

bus, same sort of thing happened to me on Friday. Did a late afternoon run at about rush hour and went down Winchbottom. For non-locals, that is a single track road with passing places that is used at times to miss a big queue on the A404. General selection of people passed, and majority slowed or stopped to let me pass, others not so good, but one plonker passed by at high speed about 10 m away from a passing place. Didn't give it a much of a thought until I got to the end (about 1/2 mile further on) of the road and noticed that he was stuck at the junction waiting for a clearing in the traffic to turn right. Had some fun standing in front of his car and "discussing" his behaviour. He couldn't do much inside his car, far too busy a road, and he stepped out but wasn't fast enough to get around to the front before I had made space and not fast enough to get back in before I closed up same space. 

SG, as bus says, great routes through West Wycombe estate behind Adams Park but you do need a map. Loads of tracks, many private, so you need to be sure you are on a public path and not a shooting alley.
    I detect something untoward in this comment.
    Come on Phil, did you deck the guy, or simply shut the door of his car on his leg as he was getting back in?

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hmm, not sure you'd find much more than anecdotal evidence to support the hypothesis that it's women drivers doing all the damage to cyclists Ric! In fact, most insurance companies would be quick to point out the opposite...the overwhelmingly vast majority of injury accidents to non-motorised users (ie pedestrians and cyclists) are caused by young males.

I wasn't aiming for 7:25s today - just came out as that. As I say, it was dead flat, and after a week's "rest" the legs weren't exactly taxed to do that pace, and neither did I feel like I was pushing the pace.

Gonna be even colder tomorrow - a quick and dirty return to Winter by the look of things, so just been busy digging out warm gloves and stuff that I'd put away for the Spring for the ride to work!
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Good news re the running Bus.

Pete - That's one more driver that will hopefully be more careful in future, or two if you count SG now.

I had to laugh at your knick knack comment Ric  :D

Good Strava segment hunting CC, I am sure they were both accidental too ;)

I seemed to have got caught up in all the marathon excitement and have entered Abingdon. It is only 4 weeks after the Ironman, so it could go either way.

It has also dawned on me that I have entered 3 marathons this year if you count the IM one. Not sure what I am thinking.
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Holy shit, it was cold out there this morning.  Wind, hailstones, snow, rain.  Perfect conditions for doing speedwork on the track...  4x 500m off 5 min recoveries.  Supposed to be near max. on the reps hence the big recoveries, but the splits weren't great due to the ridiculous wind on the back straight mainly!  1:30 / 1:36 / 1:38 / 1:40.  I've not done much speedwork recently, but that's a good bit slower than last time which was I think 1:29 / 1:34 / 1:34 / 1:36.  The conditions were atrocious this morning though.  Really bad.  So, I'll take it.  Although a 1:40 500m is slower than 3k PB pace!!  Nevermind.  My fingers still haven't properly warmed up and I finished over 90 minutes ago.  I didn't even bother with the cool down laps, just got straight inside...

Yeah - Reg, totally accidental with the segment hunting.  Honest ;)

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, relax!
    The women driver stuff was a joke. I'm fully aware of the insurance implications.

Of course you weren't aiming for 7:25's. But if you apply a level of force, you get a number.
    In this case, you took advantage of fresh legs and applied the usual effort. Result!

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
     :) Reg, i'm always careful. If i see some daft cyclist on a 60 zone country lane i immediately think "Oh dear" and give them tonneloads of space and a very wide berth. Then think "they must be a mentalist" for the next 5mins.

Reg, 3 marathons, after a long injury spell. Who could think that was unwise ;)

And Bus, what are you on about, Ric has pointed out that100% of the accidents in the 2 mentioned were caused by women, so surely that 100% can be applied to every accident ever? ;)

Away from 200s for sesh 5 today.
    6x800 off 90 (though sesh allowed 2mins), 2x400 off60secs, 2x200 off 30.

"Technically" my 5k zone is 1.18 lapping, although that would give an amazing 5k time in the low 16s probably, and my all time pb of 16.53 is 5.26 pace, which is 1.21 lapping.

Darn windy for a good 60-80metre stretch, a couple felt like pure trudgeration.
    Anyway, fairly decent result
    Reps starting with

I think every time i do this session i slightly underestimate it, and think 1.18x2 will be comfy, forgetting that it's much easier to smash 200&400s, but 800s are a different animal.
    Especially when i'm clearly already working above the zones i've ever achieved, and especially when wind kicks in!

A good sign of working at the right intensity for me, is getting that feel of "i'm gonna need a number 2", but it not happening, fading at the end of the rep, disappearing in recovery, and then kicking in towards the end of the next rep, and repeat, without said number 2 happening!
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    SG - that's a really good session that one!  Just looking at those 800s alone is tiring me out.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ta CC, it's a strange thought pattern of "do my legs feel a little tired", "is the wind rucking this session", "should i be hitting 1.18 (2.36), but then you break it down as above, and it seems right on track.

May goes a little like this, with the 3 weekends signed up, and the 2 midweeks "likely"

5miler
    Midweek 5k
    3mile relay leg
    Midweek 5k

I'm also wrestling with chucking something in next Mon/Tue, but probably should leave it at 5 races in a month, after less than that in 4months!!
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

That looks like a lot of racing to me!

I was trying to plan out my training for the coming 6 or 7 weeks and it's difficult to work out what's best to do with races in there, particularly when a couple of them are midweek.  I.e. if there's a 10k race on a Tuesday evening, do you try to put in a long one at some point in the 7-10 days leading up to it?  Well, normally, I would just say no, but when there are races in fairly quick succession and maybe only 10 days between races, it's tricky!

I'm planning to do this:

Sun 14 May - fairly flat road 10k

Sat 27 May - off-road hilly 10k

Tu 6 Jun - flat road 10k

W 14 Jun - track 10,000m

Su 25 Jun - road 5k (there's an HM I'm toying with but don't think I'll have enough time to do longer stuff in amongst those races to justify it)

I'm just going to train right through the hilly 10k, but I want to hit the others pretty fresh and give myself a good shot at racing well on each of them.  14 May is just coming round very quickly, otherwise I might have ditched the idea of one of the other 10k races.  I've signed up and paid for the 2 in May, so I'm doing them!  (Having paid for and not run 3 races earlier in the year due to injury!!).

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Josh Griffiths - an excellent marathon performance without question and well done to him.  However, the way it’s been portrayed (“member of the public beats elites”) is bizarre, as if he did a couple of training runs, rocked up in football shorts and casually ran sub-2:15, as opposed to being an established top club runner, which is what he is.  In that sense, he really isn’t any different to some of the Brits who were on the elite start.  Anyway, I suppose that story doesn’t scream ‘human interest’.

All good stuff with the other bloke helping someone across the line.  However, is that not a DQ in the letter of the rules?  That would be my main thought, aside from sacrificing my own race.

Don’t cross Ric when he’s gardening for you.  I would fear coming down in the morning and finding obscenities scrawled on my lawn in weedkiller.

Nice tempo Reg.

A story to get the blood boiling there Bus.  How many four-letter words did you use to him?

Good work on the sub20 Pete

Yes, marathon times are all over the shop.   I’ve given up trying to second guess them.  You kind of think you understand the reasons, but then Andy Stay  runs 2:37, despite being built like a brick shithouse.

Away in Germany over the weekend.  Did a bit of running but not enough.  Far too much on my plate at the moment, and running is suffering.

• Options

Good new Pete! Idiot drivers all over the place. Decent weekend, went to the Hatfield parkrun as the missus was doing her tourism thing - then up to Bedford with the 10 x 3 mins along the embankment, better than last 2 times.

Quick 7 miles Sunday am before the train to London for the marathon...well sadly IK didn't look great at 14 where we saw him, but it just got worse and he ended up with 2.23..he was happy that he managed to snare Chris Thompson on the line. Shame, but there you go etc etc..started on the tinnies at 10.30, had 8 pints, got waved at by Wills and Kate as we were standing outside the pub!!?? had doner and chips on the way home. Yay!

7 miles and 20 x 25m lengths in the pool yesterday. In the 'fast' lane..but the swimming club types doing 2 length intervals next to me. Went past me like I was drowning. Unreal.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs, what happened to you? Since you went all big time you've become a  right heartless bastad :) The old you would have been crying a river over both those stories
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Don’t cross Ric when he’s gardening for you.  I would fear coming down in the morning and finding obscenities scrawled on my lawn in weedkiller.

No, I don't go that far. That's because I have the option of leaving the awkward sods in the lurch to be cleaned out by cowboys. Anyway, my lawn kill method is, would be a balloon filled up with glysophate lobbed over the fence.
    I have done something similar though.
    There was once some old bag who lived across the green from me. She was always a pain in the arse. One day she really excelled herself, so in the dead of night I spread weed and feed on area of the green for all to see.
    For about a year there was the word 'COW' growing bright green among the weeds in four foot high letters.

Running easy this morning, the splits went 8:13, 8:12, 7:54, 7:36 and 7:23.
    The last mile I leaned into a bit. That was because I had a couple of fast bits to do after.
    Not much on that score. I settled for a couple of 40 second bursts at around 5:40 pace. Good enough. It was freezing!

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Might let you off then Ric ;-)

Cracking session that SG!!! What's the 5k end of June then?  I much prefer your outlook to cyclists on roads they have every right to be on than the "oh, look cyclists on a quiet rural road. They must be bastards what with their two wheels and their jolly joie de vivre, so I'd better go even faster and overtake as recklessly as possible" approach!

CC - good session, and the faster pace will come back soon enough.

Simon - sounds like a fun day out!

All of them Dachs, all of them!

Weird old weather - freezing on the bike this morning!

Not much danger of going too fast tonight - heading out with two ladies from the work "jogging club" for a 5k tonight along the canal.

Hoping to get back to proper running tomorrow if the knee is OK.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Bus, who said anything about June? June is another month entirely! That was the May catalogue!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    oops! That was me reading everything too quick and your races merged into CC's!

Anyhoo - ran tonight and the work jogging club consisted of me! One lady bailed out as she'd forgotten her kit and the other one took one look at the snow and thought better of it! Sooo, slightly further and slightly faster than planned, but the knee held up OK.... 5.2M, with some strides thrown in to the last mile to bring the average down to 7:15. Happy enough with that at the mo. Will add some hills tomorrow.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
     Bus.

One run out from an injury and you're already ramping up the intensity.
    Twice you've done that this year, and twice you've come unstuck.

What are you playing at?

🙂

• Options

Runners enthusiasm again - we'll never learn! Need to sort my running calendar out for the summer really.

only 10 x 600 last night at Luton rugby club. As usual the dark cloud came over before the start, making the first half a rainy/sleety mess. Managed to take them down from 1.48 to 1.45 for the last few. Bollock cold though.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's no time to lose Ric, Bus isn't getting any younger :)

Right, Wednesday 10, 6.47 pace, right mash up of a few of my local work routes into one.

I'm pretty sure when I moved from an 8 to the full 10 midweeker about 3months back now, THAT was when i started feeling pretty good again. It's such a key run of the week, hard session on the Tue, and then this consolidates it.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    ps Ric, it's a funny thing with exertion and recovery isn't it. We're not all made equal.

One young guy i know did Manchester marathon 3 weeks ago, and then raced a 10miler, parkrun and 5mile over 4 days last weekend, seemingly to no ill effect.
    Some peeps are lucky that they seem to be able to need next to zero recovery, and still pump out race after race, in and around what they'd have been able to do anyway.

Whereas another guy i know seemed to be absolutely smashing his training,   doing 18-22milers at a very decent lick, but then absolutely discombobulated in the race itself.
    Seems a lotto which camp people fall into.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    None of us are SG, but definitely not much time to loose! (or gambling to loose too much depending on your pov!). Nice start to Wednesday that. "Only" 10 x 600 Simon? Slacker ;-)

Hardly ramping up though Ric - it was the same easyish pace as Monday, just with half a dozen strides thrown in at the end, none of which were much more than MP, and all less than 40 seconds. Today will also just be a single run, all at an easy pace, but just introducing a few hills into the mix. Partly to see how the knee reacts, but mainly 'cos I'm working at home and there's nowhere flat to run from here! If I get any pain on the downhills, I'll stop and limit my runs to the flat for another week.

Certainly didn't ramp it up after the last injury in Feb - it took 4 weeks to get back to anything approaching normality, then another 3 weeks of managing the load before Fleet Half. The latest knee problem might well also be the same ITB as the hip, but this time came from a mix of not stretching and rolling whilst doing a large amount of descending. Easy to see after the event and managing this balance is one of the issues of getting older I guess!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    What are you playing at with that Bus? 
    Lose/Loose is one of those spelling errors that should be instantly punished with a 30min lecture from Ric.
  • Options

Bus - shorter than the usual we get from him, perhaps the rain helped in our favour this time! IK popped down and we probed him with questions about his Marathon nightmare (well 2.23!), just one of those things, no injury or anything. Hope yours stays ok now

Talking about marathons last night, we all prefer autumn marathons for training in the summer and when they are. After you finish it sets you up for a good xc season, whereas a spring one can muck up a track season

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon, any idea what the entry qualification is onto the "elite" start?
    Would be interesting to find that out, and see why the Swansea guy who caused all the hype didn't get on. 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I could get all analytical, but instead I'll take the easy way out and quote Steve Ovett's coach, the late Harry Wilson. 

It's results that count.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sorry SG - unfourgivable grammartickle errer that won! Most upsetting for all concerned!

Thanks Simon.

I agree Ric, and am aware I'm treading a fine line, but you know me - I always tend to go on feel rather than perceived wisdom. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Anyway, my lunchtime run today was fine (bloody freezing though!). Added a couple of downhills, but made sure these were done relaxed and gingerly (so much so that average pace went down on both!). Quads and hamstrings are a wee bit tight from cycling, but sure that will ease.

7M average pace 8:25 and nothing niggling post run, so finger's crossed - not taking it for granted just yet!

Reg - forgot to say before about your Ironman-Marathon double. It's a tall order, but I reckon if anyone can do them that close together and still do them justice it'd be you.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, now that's what I call a sensible easy pace. Do the same three days back to back and you'll begin to notice something unusual.
    Dare I say you may detect an ability to run through a brick wall. Rather than feel as if you have ;).

Just had a check on the start list for the Staines 10k. From the top ten of last year. Four aren't in it, and all the rest have been; from evidence gleaned from PO10, compromised in some way.

No pressure SG. But you're going to win.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Quite an awkward format on that entry list! But I'm not actually showing on it myself, so bound to be others in the same boat (transfers).

We'd have a decent shot at the team prize, but then with this mob, i'll have to run well to get into the team! There's at least 2 of our super vets in that list, guys I've lost to many a time, some of our relay gang, and that's just from our club!

So i'm gonna stop looking now as I can FEEL that stress adrenaline already!

Getting round in a similar pace per mile to the 5miler the week before would be a decent aim I think.

And you're ignoring that when Bus quotes 8.25 pace, that'll include hills that are pretty severe, and offroad no doubt ;)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Bus good to hear the comeback commences, I want at least a couple of road trip or 2 with you and Phil this summer. Any old iron, as long as it's no longer than 10k :)

Single run Weds always feel so long. And I always start questioning my job and moving etc, in a way I don't do with doubles! Too busy recovering probably!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Even I was top 10 at Staines last year (though little chance of a repeat). Got to be podium possibility for you SG.