Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hey - us old men and our puns have their plaice.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    You're just making a rod for your own back there Bus.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    cod it's plaice, for the halibut, blah blah yawnsville
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I can't say I was hooked on the 200m reps chat
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    200m reps chat gets everyone hot. Fact.

ps Bus, you didn't answer, was it your influence that got Marlow on PO10 after years of stubborn refusal?
    Or did they notice that 99% of "races that aren't put on by rotary clubs" are on there
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Keeping it reel...

Not sure about Marlow and Po10 SG - I did nag them plenty about it!

• Options
    Good running at Marlow Bus, have you ever looked into the wretching problem as it seems to trouble you alot?

Another top session that Ric, good to get it out of the way early doors as well! My sessions are set by a coach who coach's a fair few of us including Scott E. Always a mix of distances/paces in sessions. Guy used to be a 30:29 10km runner before getting injured

May have been a damp squid of a game for you SG but as an Arsenal fan I rather enjoyed it ;)

Great report as usual SG, can't be long till some PB's are in order. Was confused by the result from Will Langley. I used to run with him back in the day at Wycombe Phoenix and he used to be alot faster.

Just the 30mins yesterday, worrying pain/tightness at top of calf. Will see how it is on this evenings run and speak to coach about it if no better. Luckily he's also a physio

• Options
    If what I smelt on Sunday morning as I passed by the fisherman is anything to go by, they weren't sitting on the river bank but floating a few inches higher.

SG, 
    Rob McHarg is a fairly decent V50 runner, and did 3:52 for 1,500 so has a turn of speed you may not have.
  • Options

SG - Didn't you have a word with my mate Chris? finished just behind you. 50 odd second PB! Obviously been telling him he's got really soft PB's :)

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

These fish puns are floundering.

Right, that is the one and only pun I will ever do on this thread.

Excellent 1500 Scott, beat my PB there you cheeky rascal.

Scott P, looks like a good session there.  I will be hopefully getting over for a couple of Watford 3000s, not sure when though.  Can’t be arsed chasing 1500 times this year though.

Speedy season opener Simon, sure you’ll be back under 9 in no time.

Good to see Red Wang easing himself back into running.  Wish I’d gone out and nicked all his Strava segment records whilst he was injured.

Bus, solid run at Marlow.  It’s dispiriting when you can see that target disappearing, but well toughed out.  Surely you ought to now be able to retch without breaking stride?

Ric, you don’t eat within 5 hours of a race?  What happened to the start line tuna bagel?

SG, firstly, I was disappointed that parking was dealt with in a throwaway couple of words.  Where did you park?  Did you have the right change?  Were there any difficulties finding spaces, and did you have to encounter that annoying moment when you think there’s a space but actually it’s a small car parked further into the space than you expected?  We need to know.

Otherwise, congrats on the performance and the team prize.  Very decent indeed.  Time to add the 1.2 miles for a 10K?  Nice of the Dashers to let the new boy hold the trophy.

PMJ, Wojek has run Shinfield 10K a couple of times in 35ish, so it’s a name I recognise.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    So, race report for me.

The race?  Why it’s none other than the Woodley 10K.  For those who aren’t entirely familiar with all the tedious autobiographical details, this is the race that got me back into running.  Once I realised there was a 10K that started and finished just outside my front door, I thought I might as well try to get back into some sort of shape so that maybe I could run it one day.  Stuff led to stuff and now here I am writing a long old race report for a bunch of other emaciated running geeks on a website.

As this is my local race, I’ve been aching to win it.  It was where I first broke 35 back in 2012, but since then I’ve had a succession of poor performances, including when I attempted it twice shortly after VLM.  A couple of second places were the best I could do, but it is my backyard and I must win it.  For this reason, I was nervous.  Checking the start list did not reveal anyone who ought to be beating me, so this is surely my chance.

So, target 1, non-negotiable – the win.  Target 2 – maybe sub 32.  It is a regular training course, so I know I can run fast on it.

From the gun, I lead off like a blue-arsed fly.  I know that the principal competition have marathons in their legs, so let’s see how they fancy this pace.  To my surprise, a 3:05 first km has not dissuaded one of the recent marathoners from giving chase.  Balls, I’d rather hoped to have shaken them off.  Settle into a more manageable pace and try to get rid a little more patiently.  I know I have a few metres gap, which indicates to me that this isn’t comfortable for the chaser, otherwise he’d be on my shoulder.

Splits are hovering around the 5:08-5:12 mark, and as we get through 2 miles the footsteps behind become a little fainter.  Keep pushing.  On pace for sub 32, I hit 5K in a fraction under 16.  But it’s tough.  I take a cup of water at the water station and chuck it over my head.  However, I have failed to take account of the dynamics of the situation, and it all splatters on the ground about 2 metres behind me.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Second half is all about stretching out the lead and soon the applause for chasing runners fades into inaudibility.  Surely it’s in the bag now?  But the pace is also slightly slipping.  I go through 5m unchallenged in 25:59, and I am certain I’ve got this sewn up.  From here, the pace falls off a cliff.  It doesn’t feel like it at the time, but any hope of a low 32 is lost in the last mile.  It’s into a headwind, but it isn’t a massively windy day.  Usually I’d at least expected to have brought it home.  Maybe the pressure of the win is off and I just let it slip.  The perils of racing on very familiar routes suddenly come into play – the race route follows the road, but I veer off to the left to follow the footpath as I always do on training runs, which does a right angle instead of a gentle curve and adds 15m (or 3 seconds) on.  Ooops.  Just as well I’m not about to run 31:58.

Into the park, round some twisty bits, and take the win with a limp celebration in 32:38, 30s ahead of second place.

So, clearly delighted to get this particular monkey off my back.  Bit disappointed with the time though, and mystified as to how I lost so much in the final mile.  Only slightly quicker than the 10K point at the Wokingham Half in the end, when it had seemed even at 5 miles that a low 32 was on.  I was convinced I was in much better shape than that, and it’s a bit of a concern ahead of chasing a fairly ambitious time at the Highgate 10,000.  Still, shall do a couple more sessions and see what comes out there before it’s panic stations.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Dachs, i did take about 5mins deciding  on the exact location to leave my car, despite the whole road being empty. I am definitely becoming more anxious about nothing with age!
    And yes, I have a 10k this weekend! 5miles felt plenty yesterday, but you set off at a pace you believe you can generally hold, so not much odds really.
    But a 5k tomorrow which I'm looking forward to the shortitude of.

Cracking win by the way. It's madness with your times you haven't done it before.

Simon, i bottled a close battle with a guy in front, but didn't "feel" anyone too close behind in fairness.

Philip, if he was truly doing 12 x31/32 off 30secs I dare say he'd be posting 5ks well under 17. Clearly he was an absolute don at peak, and still exceptional at his age!

just a last word about headfones man at yesterday's race. Apparently he was a  superstar 800 guy in his youth.
    His manager quoted me 1:44, but a quick check of the all time 800s, and that'd be about 10-15th!
    So i dare say he meant 1.54!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done yesterday Dachs! You will run faster in company so I would't worry about the track 10k.

SGI assume that the 1:44 guy was this guy...
    http://thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=1068

He used to train with my club from time to time when he was in his early 20s. Talent! Sydney Olympics and Manchester Commonwealth Games.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Headphones man has an impressive track record.

Nice run at Woodley Dachs, I remember hating that race last year. Isn't the last mile a bit uphill, I faded badly at that point.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep just found that out for certain!!

WOW.
    12th fastest 800 in British history! Commonwealth games etc.

Decent scalp ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs, almost missed the report! Hardly long old son! Emaciated indeed, we're all hunky legends on here! 30seconds is a decent margin, but it always feels very quick when you finish seeing how quickly people come home.

One of those awkward bits of racing is listening to how far on it is before a marshal encourages someone behind you!
    Yesterday there was a lot of "go on Simon" and "well run Sean". And i was thinking, blimmin heck they must be close. Then they gradually fade a little.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    etc being world champs & Olympic games!

BTW Dachs I am not too precious about the Strava CRs, help yourself. I am starting to collect the much more coveted KOMs  :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe I actually missed the Olympic games bit. 2000!
    No wonder he sees a little outing at the Marlow 5 as a headfones doss around :)
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Hello - been out of here for a while with life/work being a bit manic again...  Still plodding away and hoping to be in some sort of shape for 10k race on Sunday...  We'll see how it goes!

SG - beating an Olympian is so 2013 for me.  I beat Victoria Pendleton and she's a gold medallist.  (I beat her at running, but it still counts).

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    while we're bragging about records against Olympians 
    AthletesPeter Mannion V55M Windle Valley RunnersPaula Radcliffe V40W Bedford & County
    Add Athlete ID

EventMeetingVenueDatePeter MannionPaula Radcliffe5MNational Lottery Anniversary Run 5London Olympic Park21 Jul 1331:0315632:27291 (19)
    Win-Loss-TiePeter MannionPaula RadcliffePeter Mannion-1-0-0Paula Radcliffe
    0-1-0  (ok she was 90% crocked at the time :D)

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Lol - entertaining stuff! Great win Dachs, even better report, but both pail inot insignificance to the quality of your pun. Once you get to V40 you'll be back punning again!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pete, was that not the race she was massively pregnant? :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, do you really not eat 5hours before a race?! Must be starving!

Bus, can't believe you got that bit In your photo mixed up! That "wall" Is so recognisable in the last mile, where you go round bends and it's still not the end in sight!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I think I snuck a pun in unnoticed.

I'm having deja vu with the Olympians

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nah you didn't, we just ignored it, like we'd ignore a kid shouting "poopee"
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Cheeky bugger SG; most definitely not; her kids were born much before 2013.

Crazy race btw and don't ever do it unless you want to jostle for space with fellow runners for the full 5 miles. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

:) sorry Pete. I'm either mistaking her for someone else, or time really does fly!

Got clipped yesterday which was a bit of a surprise in a fairly stretched field.

Although that's the luxury of where us guys tend to finish.

Someone pointed out the incredible queue for medals/goody bags midpack!

And there was me thinking "this is one heck of a walk to the stuff" after.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, believe or not, most people never eat on an empty stomach. They simply top up when their stomach starts to rumble. If they held off for 15 minutes, that false starvation phase passes.
    After that it can be hours and hours before real hunger kicks in.

Staines will be a race on empty job. Damned if I'm going to eat just because I don't like the idea of feeling hungry.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Plenty of people seem to be able to do their long runs, and parkruns and stuff without food.

Not me, i'm too pansy for any of that stuff :)