Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    I had my work Christmas do last night and I got absolutely battered. Went to bed about 4:30, got up at 6:30 to take my daughter to nursery and then ran 8.5 miles to work like an absolute hero. I spent lunch time sleeping on a small bench in the toilet/shower. Starting to feel a bit more human now. Supposed to be going out to dinner with my wife later  :s
  • Options

You are far too old for those sort of shenanigans Reginald ;-)

• Options
    7 today on the Thames Path near Cookham and it is just muddy and slippery and generally not nice. I have 11 planned for Sunday near Hurley but then that may be it for the winter. The path used to be OK for most the winter, don't know what has changed but it seems to get bad really quick and early and stays that way. Have to head up for the hills a la Reg but maybe not as silly as his birthday run: Strava says he basically ran up everything steep he could and then back down steep: not an inch of flat en route. 
  • Options
    Phil, that's a run I do when I am just going to do a run for pure pleasure and I don't care about the training benefit. I will run it hard one day.

I am in a reasonable week with 39 miles racked up so far and a good chance I'll do a double digit run tomorrow, maybe an 11 miler to keep Bus happy.

Did 10 today with Parkrun in the middle, it was a touch icy but at least the field was frozen so was nice and firm. Did 17:31 for 2nd and I was reasonably happy with that as it felt more akin to 10k effort.

5k seems like a young man's game though.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice enough one Reg.

Seems all too easy to drift down to 10k effort in 5ks.

Little bit borderline coldy, which probably is the time of year to get a little run down, dark, bad weather etc. OFF today, then will see how much I increase the week's 46miles so far tomorrow...

One more week at work, then off until the 8th Jan, so will have to get a few social runs and possibly the odd random race. Must be something wacky either the 31st Dec/1st Jan.
    Did look at triple header parkrun combos, but they tell me only 2 can count now, even in the unlikely event that you could find 3 that sync.

It seems that there used to be an easy 9/10/11am treble starting from Bushy, but they cut that out as being too fun, and now the 11am is 9am.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Good pr effort Reg, especially if it was only 10k pace. If 5k is a young man's game no wonder I can't get that elusive sub 18 on a parkrun! Went to Bushy today, mainly to show my daughter what a big 'race' is all about and a 1 lap course. Went pretty well for both of us; she smashed her pb again with 26'13 and I did 18'28 for my first ever Bushy top 20 (18th) and top age grade of over 1000 runners. 

SG, I think Paul Sinton-Hewitt is quite fussy with his parkrun rules and gave an edict only 2 to count. If you can drive Kingston to Crane in 10 mins you could have a go at those 2 10am and 10.30am with Bushy first at 9am. In reality think you'd be a few mins late for Crane even if all went exactly to plan and you did Kingston in about 18. Wonder if anyone has ever done a treble in reality?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pete, Chris B at Datchet did the 3 in 2012/13, check his PO10 out. That was when it was a 9/10/11am mix though, so they clearly "fussied up" after that.

Having not done a parkrun for around a year, it's a bit strange of me even talking of doing one, let alone a haul, but we'll see!

Nice turn out at Bushy for you and young un

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Decent effort there Reg on the 5k and that 4am/6am get up is outstanding work! :-D
    Is bushy as fast as people say Pete or is it a case of it being well stacked that produces the decent times. Congrats on the age grading. 

Took part in a fell relay in West Yorkshire today. Couple of decent sessions during the week and my legs were a bit ruined on Friday so just did 4 miles. Didn't want to ease off as I don't think it benefits me much either. I seem to run like a cart horse with no miles in my legs. 
    It was a pairs relay and I was on leg 1 with a 33 10k 2.34 marathon mate so a good pairing. We had some snow again a day or so ago and freezing since so I was expecting the conditions to be a bit tricky but little did I know! 

There an hour before at 8.30 and had a massive space on the road to park my van. Perfect. Had a scout around to see who we was up against but its a pretty friendly low key event. Then I notices two decent lads from Wharfedale and Ian Holmes and Vic Wilkinson. Fuck! I thought, that's me getting chicked. He's just a phenomenon even as a v50 and she's probably the best mountain runner GB has ever had. Both multiple british fell champs. Both got there own wiki page so can't be bad! She's run 3.09 round the 3 peaks and recently came 3rd and finished seconds behind a 53 min 10 mile GB mountain runner at a 16 mile fell race. Can't wait for this I thought, i run on the canal and the treadmill! :-D

We tucked in early doors and all ran as 3 pairs. All chatting away every now and then and it all felt comfortable. Thorn bushes, a few bogs, stiles to negotiate and frozen cobbles and so e road sections. We then dropped down a really steep road section and my mate went to the front and he started to string it out a little about 4 miles in. Felt bloody great and thought we having these lot today then the shit hit the fan. 

My partner signalled his hand to the right as the route left a cart track and up towards the fells but it was sheet ice and he made the turn at the last second as he nearly missed it. His left foot sort of slipped with his right just about to plant so when it did his foot was at 2pm but his lower leg went to 10pm. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

He's an anaesthetist at the local hospital and the farmhouse he fell next too was a doctor so as he's pulling his own leg straight we got an ambulance on the way. 
    4th team was miles back so we sent them through to forsworn the organisers. Turns out a nurse from another team knew his so she went with him to the hospital. He's ended up with a triple break of his ankle/lower leg and its the first time I've seen the floppy foot with the bone pushing against the skin and I can't get the whole scenario out of my head. Even more gutted for him as he was off to Burma with his wife and 2 kids on Tuesday to spend 3 weeks over there for Xmas. Messaged him this afternoon as he was on about cancelling. 

After he'd gone I thought we'd have a jog back but it ended up a race again! I sat in again until the road section then pushed on so barring the stop it was the fastest leg of the day. No consolation but nice to feel as though I ran well.
    ran back for my van at the end for a 15 mile morning and pooled 4 out tonight. Long run tomorrow! 
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    That sounds horrendous for your mate there Matt and for you to have to witness. Mega impressive you were able to carry on and produce a decent run in the circs; I'd have bottled it and gone home like most would.

Bushy is a really fast course as it is just so flat with few turns (but more than it used to have before they changed the course a couple of years ago). Bit icy in places yesterday so not at it's fastest. Always decent pace at the front end too as regularly gets a field of around 1200!
  • Options
    Nice running Matt, sounds pretty horrific, I am the sort to look away when something like that happens. I would have carried on running too, if only to get it out of my head.

I had a look at Bushy Park and Mo Farah is only the 27th fastest with 15:05.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dreadful outcome there Matt. Presumably that sort of thing has more chance of happening at these hard core type events though! Makes you realise we take our nice smooth roads for granted 99% of the year!

Reg - that is insane standard. I'll have to tick that one off at some stage.

Woke up feeling right old coldy, so took an extra 30mins just lounging around.

Only had 46 on the clock this week, but forced myself out thinking "just do 4miles and see"

First mile 7.30 but was ok, so eventually got it up to 11 miles, and the average up to 7.06

57 isn't too bad a total after a long drive last Sunday, and more importantly a mix of snow/ice and borderline cold.

Sort of seeing out the time to the end of 2017 now, not much speed stuff for a while, due to the xc race and this week as above.

Will need to get amongst some stuff in early 2018.

Southern12 stage relay date is out, seems to be a Sunday for some reason, and moved to MK.

• Options
    PeteM said:
    top age grade of over 1000 runners. 

Good result there. I had a look as I normally end up top two or three but end up behind old women with ridiculously high age gradings. Seems you managed to avoid appearances from the 90% and over club.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Choose your day Philip; the grannies don't like icy mornings!
  • Options
    Good work in the parkruns Pete and Reg. Reg - haven't seen an 11M on Strava today? Please don' tell me you finished on 39M :-)

That sounds horrific Matt and not surprising it is stuck in your head. I hope he heals quickly and can run properly on it again when he does. Small consolation that it happened where it did and he had people to help around him. 

I ran yesterday. Only 12M but it was still hard work with plenty of ice around and my legs were telling me they need a break! Bit of shame though as it ended up being my lowest mileage week, since July, with 40M. Like SG, I've got a bit of a cold today, and am a veritable snot factory. Can't quite wotk out weather I'm going down with it properly or whether that is just a result of having a pretend Christmas day at my Brother in Law's yesterday. It involved a fair amount of eating, drinking and being merry!
  • Options
    Just finished my Run, Bus. Just over 11 miles in fact to hit just over 50. That's the first time over 50 since March 2016.

• Options
    Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Good parkrunning Pete and Reg. I've always liked the sound of doing Bushy, but it's a bit of a trek from Cornwall :)

Matt, I can't imagine witnessing that, let alone how the chap must have felt! Like Bus said, at least it happened where there were people to help him.

Scott, I hope Lucas is doing okay!

Had a pretty good week getting the running in, after finished last week with two runs totalling 8.3mi.
    Continued to alternate running days at the beginning of the week, with a 5.5mi at 7:58/mi and 85.2%HR on Tues, 6.3mi at 8:31/mi and 76.2%HR on Thurs, 6.3mi at 8:24/mi and 76.2%HR Sat.
    Foot feeling pretty good throughout, so followed up yesterday with a 'long' run today, first double digit run in 10 weeks! 10.5mi at 8:50/mi for 76.2%HR, felt a real slog towards the end with quite a large uphill finish, but really pleased to get this one in. Plan is to do roughly the same next week, maybe tip just over 30mi.
  • Options
    Broken ankle Matt. May I wish your friend a speedy recovery. Shame about the trip to Burma though.

Slight sun burn to one shoulder right now, but that's about all.

Running and cycling going ok. I could do more, but other people are involved.

Another couple of weeks and I'll be back in the UK. I view the winter conditions in a different way now that I don't have to be anywhere soon.
  • Options
    Australia have just won the Ashes.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Matt, that sounds like some crazy-ass shit.  Must admit, I struggle to understand how a pairs relay works, presumably you aren't tied together like a three-legged race?  Probably just as well you weren't, by the sound of it.  Hope your clubmate can recover from this, it sounds like the kind of thing that rule people out of running permanently.

Good icy parkrun Reg, and nice age grade work Pete.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Berkshire County Championships yesterday, in Reading.  A variant of the course we use for the Hampshire League fixture, but increased from 9-ish K to 12K.  Simple aim – get in the top 9 to make the Berkshire team, and retain my masters title.

For most of my XC races this season, I’m training through, so not reducing my mileage or sessions in the week leading up to it, but wanted a good run here so I did have a bit of a taper this week.

Since everyone misconstrues my description of XC courses on here for their own purposes, let me describe the course for you.  Bit around a playing field (smooth, pretty firm, odd patch of mild mud), zigzag up and down a short but steep hill, muddy trail through the woods, steep descent into a squishfest, back to the playing fields, which is sticky as it’s where the water running off the hill pools, then onto firmish playing fields again.  Little small lap of the playing field, 2 laps of the above and then another lap minus the bit in the woods.  Sort of a middling XC course in terms of trickiness.

Bit of a stampede at the start.  Senior and juniors are all running together but the juniors will only do 8K, so it’s very difficult to know where you are in the field.  After it settles down a bit, I find I’m in a group of 4 or so, with two Reading AC (one of whom is a junior) and one Newbury.  I’ve never to my knowledge beaten the other two seniors in this group, but probably both are a bit off previous form.  Calls from spectators say that we are 9th-12th, but how many juniors are ahead?  Who knows.  I do know one V35 is ahead, a former clubmate, now Reading AC, who’s been well ahead in the Hampshire League so far, and who I have little hope of beating this season, so looks like the masters title is gone.

Feeling pretty dodgy throughout the first bit of the race, maybe a TGI Fridays and a curry the day before was a mistake – or maybe it was the five glasses of coke.  Don’t drink much fizzy drink these days, now I remember why.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Second big lap now, and positions in our group are chopping and changing, but there doesn’t seem to be much pressure from behind, so I’m in the mix to make the team at any rate.  There is a WSEH vest and a vest I don’t recognise (turns out to be Wycombe Phoenix) ahead, and they are coming back to us.  WSEH is coming back faster than the other one, so I lead the charge to pull him back.  Manage to sneak ahead of him, but he’s one of those annoying types that seems to be dying on his feet until you overtake then somehow manages to stay with you.  Me and this WSEH guy now have a small gap to those behind, as I seem to have found a second wind from somewhere.  As we near the end of lap 2, he puts in a massive effort to pull away, so clearly he’s a junior.  Sure enough, he peels off into the finish funnel as does the Reading AC junior behind, and there’s one already there.  I summon whatever mental acuity I can come up with to establish that I must currently be 7th in the senior race.

So, one smaller lap to go, and the good news is that I reckon Wycombe ahead has overcooked it, and is coming back to me.  Grit my teeth and decide I must catch this Buckinghamshire interloper.  I get to him, and move into 6th, and open up a gap.   There’s a Reading AC lad ahead, but it’s too much ground to make up. Just a few more corners now.  Wary of fast finishers, it’s got to be a long strike for home over 500 or so metres.  Really push now, and it seems to be having the desired effect.  Last corner though and I can hear Wycombe coming back.  No, no, no!  Not today!  Strike again, and manage to hold him off for 6th, to get back in the team and equal last year’s placing. 43:29 for the 12K.  Forgot to bring a watch, but others tell me the distance is pretty much accurate.

Lots of good points.  Managed to win the masters title again, due to the V35 ahead having entered as a senior in order to count to a senior team, which is a bit of a hollow victory really, but there we go.  Second masters team.  Beat a couple who I’d never beaten before, and much closer to those ahead than I have been this season.

Things definitely starting to look up, and I expect to get stronger.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one dachs...plenty positives there! Sounds a fast course like woodley ;)

Although i hear there's a bit of a stewards enquiry over team placings with the datchet boys given third but reckoning they should have won?
  • Options

Nice one Dachs - strong result, with a promise of more to come, and a cracking report to boot!

Good news Matthew - getting back on it!

6M this morning. Nearly all the ice gone, but pretty squelchy underfoot. Similar home tonight, and hoping the fog doesn't come down before I'm home - I bloody hate running in the fog after dark!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Certainly looks that way SG.

Fucking Datchet.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Not quite the silliest race result affecting Datchet this year.
    That was when Mr Lee crossed the line 2nd at Beaconsfield, yet inexplicably must have done it on chip time, and awarded him 3rd!
  • Options

Interesting stuff. Christ ML84 - that made me feel a bit sicker than I currently am! Not surprised it freaked you out a bit. Good PR Pete and very solid xc by the sounds of that Dachs. So I'm actually in work, but feeling rough - not sure my weekend's antics helped much (although not up to Reg standards!!)

Work do Friday night - only had 5 pints but woke up with a bit of a headache. But to be allowed to do the South of Thames Senior in Aldershot later, I had to get up early as the missus wanted to do the Harrow Pk PR this weekend. Not a bad course, been to loads of different courses in the last few months. None of the miserable locals we found at Gladstone Pk! So I was dropped off after and made my way to Aldershot. So this ended up being 6.8 miles instead of the standard 7.5 mile 'Senior' course, but very popular this year with around 300 entrants. Its basically the Surrey League mob plus Tonbridge, Brighton, Portsmouth occasionally too. Few smaller local clubs. Still feeling a bit rough I det off quite conservatively, running with PhilPub for the first lap (will add photo after). If anyone has walked to the relays at Aldershot before, there are som playing fields near the main road and that was where it started. You do a firm field, couple of sapping fields, then some nice trail like running in the woods that makes up the remainder of the lap. Would be a very good place for a Hampshire league I would have thought......

• Options

..so started moving through a bit on the second lap, got a bit worried I had overcooked it! on the last lap I realised I had Mark Symes relatively close (he is a 2.02 800m runner and was in the 1500m final in Denmark), and Dachs said that he had beaten him in the last Hants league. So I made sure I had enough to stay ahead of him. I was also about 100m behind Ben P - my nemesis from Oxford all the way round the last lap but couldn't make any inroads. Finished 36th though, solid enough.

So all back to Waterloo for a few pints - only had another 5 pints as I had the Bedford & County xmas handicap the next morning. But I woke up yesterday morning feeling pretty sick, although I hadn't puked or anything. The handicap is along the embankment to the town bridge and back. Supposed to be 5k, but it's about 150m short and the idea is not to et the wooden spoon. Went off with my mate Ollie and I was amazed I didn't puke or get a stitch and managed to catch Rebecca Murray too (GB International) and ended up with 15.57, which was better than I thought. 

However felt REALLY rough when I finished and basically spent the rest of the afternoon in bed, then on sofa. So no Herne Hill pub crawl tonight, even though I dragged myself to work.

• Options
    Great work Dachs and Simon.

I like reading the detailed reports of such things. Saves me having to run them myself.

Dachs, epic result after a curry. My experience of running after an Indian meal is that it's a sure fire way of getting (another) personal worst.

Simon, I'm still trying to work out if you run well because of your beer intake or in spite of it.
  • Options
    Both I think Ric! Must get that photo up