Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    An advert for the free train keeps appearing on my facebook, Phil. I can’t get my head round it. Just seems so excessive. But do see a surprisingly large number wearing them. 

I go for a Flipbelt. All elasticated so it sits flush to the body rather than bouncing like a belt. Works well. Although having used it almost literally every day for four years (and washed it less than once every couple of months 😆) it is probably time for a new one.

Strangely, I had a night out that almost completely covered all the previous stories. We watched Liverpool win the European Cup in a bar, then went to BZR for triples for singles, then went to Rock City. Messy night. Those were the days. Although I hope to never repeat them.

Got out this afternoon for an unexpectedly buggy free recovery run. Had time to play with, so explored a rolling route around the racecourse. 9.2M at 8:30 pace. Really nice to see something different, take it very easy and just chill. 
  • Options
    Sorequads said:
    An advert for the free train keeps appearing on my facebook, Phil. I can’t get my head round it. Just seems so excessive. But do see a surprisingly large number wearing them. 

I go for a Flipbelt. All elasticated so it sits flush to the body rather than bouncing like a belt. Works well. Although having used it almost literally every day for four years (and washed it less than once every couple of months 😆) it is probably time for a new one.

Strangely, I had a night out that almost completely covered all the previous stories. We watched Liverpool win the European Cup in a bar, then went to BZR for triples for singles, then went to Rock City. Messy night. Those were the days. Although I hope to never repeat them.

Got out this afternoon for an unexpectedly buggy free recovery run. Had time to play with, so explored a rolling route around the racecourse. 9.2M at 8:30 pace. Really nice to see something different, take it very easy and just chill. 
    I see a lot of people out with CamelBaks and don't have a clue why. I do a couple of hours easily and have no desire to take on water or electrolyte or whatever. It isn't hot outside so I assume it has to be another of these "experience things" I'm too old to understand. 

Don't get me started on my student days at Cambridge, what a lark we had!

Should have seen the fuss my gyp made when I left a pheasant to hang for two weeks in my bathroom after hitting the poor bugger with a military Landie practising driving off-road late one night without any lights on.

Then there was the time when a car got suspended under a bridge but for legal reasons, I'd like to make it absolutely clear that it had nothing to do with me. Yes, I had an HGV license and, yes, I had access to a mobile crane but I spent the night cooking and serving up the aforementioned pheasant with many witnesses. A fine bottle of port afterwards if I remember correctly. 
  • Options
    I suppose a week won't kill you Bus but I think the chances of catching a virus running past someone are next to zero. In my experience when my wife gets a cold or vice versa, it's maybe only 1 in 4 times that we both get it, if that's the rate for someone you directly exchange fluids with, then unless you're mixing up your run with a bit of molestation, it's got to be a vanishingly small risk :-)

• Options
    Bus - I'd be outside (but probably not telling anyone). It's a tough one for sure but where you run will be zero risk.

I'm with SQ with the flipbelt crowd, they are pretty good. They do make my shorts ride up though, so when I'm wearing short shorts, it looks like I'm wearing budgie smugglers.

Stupidest thing we did in Rock City was play 'who can stay inside the longest' when the fire alarm was going off. Utter tools.

Glute/hip still causing me issues. Really can't work out what it is. Hurts most when I'm asleep at night. Doesn't really cause me any trouble on the bike so just going to not run for a couple of days and stick to that.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    So what is it about a pint of Shipstones that make us into marathon runners in our latter lives.  Another one whose Uni days were in Nottingham, where I met my wife, and whose younger brother also went to Nottingham and met his wife there (both of who are now runners!) Both marriages and 6 children later with thanks to the great Brian Clough, as I choose Nottingham as I was a Forest fan in those days.

I hit a Wava of 86.7 in 2017, chasing Joe around Valencia, think VLM have it about right with the category "Fast Good for Age".

Good to see people out and about, my 2021 running has started with easy 8 milers (home-schooling!)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That "Good for age" business we all know applies primarily for London access.
    Does it apply for any other races? I think the Great North Run used to have a hidden GFA entry too and very possibly the London half? Anywhere else?

Joe - have you been doing anything unusual (by your standard obvs - a lot of your stuff is unusual to the norms ;) ).  Last tight back and hip I had followed lots of offroad hills and using trail shoes for longer than ideal on the road.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    4x1mile progressive on the track for me today then. 90sec recoveries.

Nothing too heroic - just a steady progression from slower than HMP zone down to around 10k pace

Pretty much went to plan

6.09 - 5.59 - 5.50 - 5.43

So cold on that first rep so I had to put gloves on for the second on onwards. Gloves on reps! And two layers! Incredible scenes.

So not the time or the conditions to be trying to boot on too hard I dare say but satisfied with that.
    Only a 7miler today - so 45miles Monday to Friday. 
    Having a small one tomorrow and then the usual 13 or so Sunday could hit the 60 threshold but as long as you're covering the sessions and the long run a few miles lower than usual isn't a disaster by any means.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hopefully a couple of days of not running will sort it out Joe.

And yes, totally agree with you and Reg - almost zero risk of contracting covid running outside, especially where I go! If I thought I could sneak out without anyone noticing I would!  

I'm not really bothered about a few days without running so much, but more that it's my only release valve currently from being stuck 24/7 in a house full of people who are fed up with each other that is also my office! 
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Bus; Could you maybe compromise on just going out for walks for that time? No real risk of accident or injury then and even easier to ensure distancing. I've found them surprisingly enjoyable over the last year when I've not been able, or not wanted, to run.

SG: Wokingham Half, Reading 10k and Bath Half all have GFA entries and all are a) not that hard to meet the times required (at least for v50's as my times sufficed for all of them!) and b) free places, not just guaranteed entries. Would be keen to hear of any more like that. 

Took a little break from running myself as was losing the enjoyment and it was so cold the last few days. Back today with a 14k off roader so that's a start. Felt quite warm but must be relative to the last couple of days being freezing on the bike.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    That's quite a few there Pete. Although looking at Wokingham's they've binned it for 2021 and will re-introduce for 2022.
    An autumn Wokingham wouldn't quite feel right would it.

Do you remember what times they required Pete?
    I'd imagine V40 would still need a fairly strong sub 1.15 and then probably V50 starts becoming 1.25 etc?
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I don't know the v40 ones, but Reg would prob know the Reading one as he took advantage of it!  V50 for Reading 10k was quite easy I think, maybe 40 mins.

The v50 was 1'25 for W'ham and I think the same for Bath. I know Bus was trying for the v50 W'ham one, but his qualifying time was pre v50 days so not sure if that was accepted. You may be impacted by that rule, so better get some good times in after you turn v40 so you qualify for these (all assuming races come back by then of course!). 
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately not Pete. Things are VERY black and white with my daughter and wife. The NHS letter says no one in the household should leave the house, and no amount of logical discussion about relative risk or that the advice is aimed at the lowest common denominator for people who have no common sense will hold any water!

If it gets extended, then I might have to push back, but the classic line from my daughter last night was "if mum dies of Covid just so you could go for a stupid run then I will never, ever forgive you". It'd be just my luck that someone in our house catches it entirely unconnected with what I do, but who get the blame?!   

I'd wait until they were all asleep except my daughter goes to bed about 2 am :smile:
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - I'm a bit of a rule/structure follower..so I don't want to encourage you...but have you not pointed out to your daughter that you're a bit of a face on the local scene and that the lads on the forum have certain expectations of your running?

That might sway her   :D 

Good point Pete - I dare say i'd have to put off any "GFA" aspirations until a few further dips into vet categories and hope I don't drop off an absolute almighty cliff :)

As "GFA" for London marathon I dare say would be pretty doable whatever age - but for shorter races I doubt they could risk saying sub 1.20 for HM as they'd be flooded with V40s who could do that!
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    lol; I do empathize Bus, especially having a teen her that never understands the meaning of bedtime. As others said then best to just take it on the chin for a few days; by then the family will probably have changed tune and want their pent up Bus out on the road again!
  • Options
    Just an idea Bus but why not isolate yourself in the Lake District on your own for two weeks!
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

SQ - Messy night in Rock city?

My 'leaving' night out was pretty messy. Did a line of optics, got carried out of RC by a bouncer..got my old man outside on the street (facepalm.)

Got home and sat on the sofa in the garden, in the rain, being sick.

Off early the next day for Stoke - Bournemouth. A tinnie on the train at 9am..what a life (as a borderline alcoholic)..

Just checked the dates - 6/7 Sep 1998.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    This is reminding me of the legendary "Ten Pint Challenge" in my first lot of uni days. It took place at the Heat Hospital bar and was aimed at student doctors.   Me and my halls buddies decided to take the challenge on one Friday evening so I lined my stomache with fast too much mashed potatoes and sprinted (well, what passed for a sprint in those days!) the last quarter mile to the bar to get there on time. The bar had ten varieties of lager, ale and cider on tap and the challenge was simple - a pint of each from left to right. If you puked, you had to start again....

Being young and stupid, despite being out of breath and full of mash potato, I downed the first pint - Guiness - in one.  So, immediately broke the second of the two rules and had to start again!   

Oddly, I still remember dancing violently to the Pogues bottle of Pils in hand at the uni nightclub several hours later, primarily fo a legendary diving catch of someone else's dropped bottle, without spilling any of mine :smiley:

Reg - I did think of that some weeks back, but caught out by the total lockdown before I could book somewhere (and I need to buy a car!).
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You got your old chap out on the street SC?!  :*
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't wanna do that on a day like today :smile:
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Well, after a vey delayed start, caused by accidentally nearly blinding myself in my one good eye by getting drain cleaning fluid on my contact lens (it's a long and stupid story!) I finally managed to get out for my LSR in mostly beautiful sunshine today. 14M, just shy of 2000ft, to make 50M and 6100ft in 5 days!  Now for a few days rest :smile:

As for the eye, it was a pretty scary for a while and touch and go whether to go to A&E, but was OK after a lot of washing and OK on my run. A bit sore now, and vision isn't quite 100% so will need to monitor.  Not really fancying an unnecessary trip to hospital just now though!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Rare little saturday run out today. Just to make up for missing a few miles due to the single outings rule.
    Little 4miler half in the woods job. Usual sensation of the first 1/4 mile feeling like I've never run before but became more enjoyable :)

49 for the week - Usual 13 or so tomorrow. Normal week then.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    (how odd that after so long without a post me and Bus both post at 5.46 :) )
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps glad you don't have a "silly" injury to rival thorngate of last year :)
  • Options
    Sounds unpleasant Bus, I was going to make a draining pun gag about it but I’d be worried you’d reply with one of your even cornea jokes.

Cold bike ride today, just over two hours. Looks like it’s going get a little warmer next few days thankfully. Seems weird to me that nobody seems to correlate this cold snap with the rise in infections, instead they are obsessed with a variant that’s been around for about five months. 
  • Options
    Reg Wand said:
    Seems weird to me that nobody seems to correlate this cold snap with the rise in infections, instead they are obsessed with a variant that’s been around for about five months. 
    At least I can now say that if some maniac was outside on the loose with a rifle killing 600 people a day you'd get a lot more people staying indoors.

We will next get a bout of "breaking the barrier" news, so just over 80k now, when we "break the hundred thousand deaths" will there be calls for (more) heads to roll?
  • Options
    Not sure why they keep a death toll, never done it before. It strikes me that lockdowns are like a new religion, it clearly doesn’t work but because people are so scared of dying they believe in it anyway. Maybe it’s to offer some delusional sense of control.  Anyway, must  go for a run. 
  • Options
    Very slow muddy off-road job for me today, 13.1 miles and a bit of a tight hammy.

A couple of months back I passed some young lass who seemed to be going at a reasonable clip so Strava stalked her and followed. Saw she did a 20 mile session at 6:03 pace today, upon further investigation looks like she did 2:33 at London Elite Marathon this year. I know a decent runner when I see one.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The level of runner who probably has a legit 15sec diffo between her HM and M paces rather than the theoretical one I work to :)

15 for me - although i'd set out for a 13.

Ha a route in mind and wanted to revisit that "dunking" bit on the Thames now the water has gone and see how that drop looks normally and how close it is to the actual river.
    Plus have an explore up a new footpath I'd seen on the map from Little Marlow to "Up high" near Flackwell type area.

Strangely pacy start - at around 7 dead for a couple of miles rather than the usual easing in and a good paced first half.
    Then realised the mud was exceptionally sticky and deep on the Thames Path so quickly aborted that after about 50metres :)  (Who knew flooding would lead to loads of mud ;) )

Followed the simple looking straight up route until...it seemed to turn right and come down - which I didn't want after a trudge up. Then took another turn and before you know it I didn't have a clue where I was and emerged by the Crooked Billet with 12miles on the clock  - and miles away.
    Eventually seeing a 15 home for 7.29 pace all in with 4x8+ min miling in there.

64mile week in the end meaning that 4 yesterday wasn't needed for the 60 - but never hurts.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Who’s the fast lass Reg? I’m guessing she’s only going to get quicker (or injured) & become at least a minor celebrity with form like that.
    Classic navigational misadventures SG 😆 No harm in doing some 8:xx or a couple of bonus miles.
    Good luck with the isolation Bus. Plenty of time for some serious S&C/flexibility work. Hope the eye’s OK.
    17 hilly miles for me averaging 8:13 with three 9:xx in there but also a 6:52 - all variation gradient/terrain related: mostly stuck to the roads but started & finished on muddy/icy trails. 
    (Not)Parkrun yesterday at my local hilly trail one: 20:55 which is just over a minute slower than my course PB from March but I had only finished a hilly 10M at 8:45pm Friday so not really enough recovery to get the legs flowing freely.
    79M & over 8,500ft this week 😎