Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Nice 5k there matt: I'm getting nervous about the coming week and 3 5ks which are all counting ones so hope the plan to get race fit by racing has worked out.

Tomorrow Last Friday of the Month in Hyde Park with the recently removed Samir.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Iron if it isn't going to be on any super-steep grass or mud, and you don't mind getting wet feet, then you could do a lot worse than the Inov-8 295s. Although the grip is good, its more of a trail shoe than an all ot fell shoe, but the cushioning is better.  I always use these for hill walking and find them very comfortable. You can also pick up some of the previous model ones for around £40 if you are lucky enough to have the right size feet!

Just holding back from my lunchtime run as there is a torretial hail and lighning storm going on!

Good luck tomorrow Philip!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Dean, if you lined up fresh and ran a one off 400m. What do you think you might get?

My sources define 52 seconds as the mark of an athlete possessing natural speed.

Mind you, reading between the lines I got the impression the writer/coach wouldn't bother with any runner who couldn't do it.

as a young man was under 52 with clear space but nowadays  52/53 ish maybe 54 ..difficult to judge.

• Options

Thanks Bus. Would they be man enough for some of the TVXC stuff too, or that horrendously muddy field from Higginson Park in Marlow to the Thames path?

PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Nice 5k there matt: I'm getting nervous about the coming week and 3 5ks which are all counting ones so hope the plan to get race fit by racing has worked out.

Tomorrow Last Friday of the Month in Hyde Park with the recently removed Samir.

Good luck Phil. I've been out of the loop; what happened to our hero Samir?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

They are fairly good in mud on the flat, but not when its mud on a steep slope! The drier TVXC stuff would be fine.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I have some la sportivas. Cheap as chips at about £35 and never had a problem with them. Everybody seems to swear by Inov8 or Solomon then start complaining when they're on their arses or they've fell to bits. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sub 52 seconds! yikes!

Even a 54 is fast enough.

A tad of added endurance and the sub 4 '1500m' is in range.

Training for me today was 10 minutes on the bike. Mainly a test of fitness shown by speed of recovery.

Method is quite simple, gradually wind the effort up until the HR hits 90% of current maximum (177bpm), then stop and see what shows after just one minute.

Result: HR hits 161bpm, one minute later its 89bpm. That'll do. Doing anymore wouldn't achieve anything.

I'll try another set of half miles tomorrow. Fresh.

Just found this piece of information:

Recovery Heart Rates

Physically fit people’s heart rate  time is faster than less fit people’s recovery time because their cardiovascular systems “are more efficient and adapt more quickly” to vigorous exercise, according to a Federal Aviation Administration report. You can calculate your fitness by taking your pulse during your exercise and one minute after your exercise. Your recovery rate number is the difference between the two heart rates divided by 10. It’s four if your exercise heart rate is 120 and your recovery heart rate is 80. Your physical condition is outstanding if your recovery rate number is above six, excellent if your recovery rate number is between four and six, good if the number is three to four, fair if the number is two to three, and poor if the number is less than two.

That makes me a 7.2. Whey hey.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Deanooooooo sub 2 get in there! So early in the season too! You must be sharp as an axe already! Don't worry about Christleton, you can always do Cappenhurst later which is quick or do a track 5K.

Nice report Bus, strong running. You often mention your decent are tricky and you lose places. Is there a way to improve this? I can't imagine running downhill is a pleasurable training session!

Matt, back in the game! Just as well you didn't;t slog out that 10K till the end (and end up crippled like me!).  You can stay out of the fells a while longer yet mate.

Lots of good training too, some seriously good running here at the moment.

I'm enjoying a 5 day break to rest and then next week I'll start easy running for a week. I might even have a focused training plan for once! image A autumn marathon is looking less and less likely. The 10/5K bucket list need some work first.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Stevie drop the Mara, leave it to when you are old image

tonight session was a bridge session, between Tuesdays race and the counties on Sunday designed to be hard but not killer.  4*400 at 1500m pace and 4*200 at 800 pace Or slightly faster. Off 2 min recs and 5min between the set.  No wind but was bucketing down, they came out:

62.4,  61.9,  62.6,  62.9

28.3,  28.3,  28.1,  27.6

happy with these.image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I could do with any of those Dean. 

As a pb over the distance.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Only way to improve downhill speed it is to get up to some decent, technical hills and train on them! (that or have the bit of my brain removed that senses fear image). Minimum 3 hour drive for me....

Good plan having 5 days off and then focusing.

Those 400s in particular are damn quick Dean!!

Matt - are they the La Sportiva XC's? I had a couple of pairs of those - absolutely loved them. They fit like a glove and the grip was just as good as my mudclaws.  Not much cushioning though for use on a variety of surface and the only other downside was the uppers started to split in less than 100 miles on both pairs. Nothing wrong with the shoes, but all depends on how the flex point of your foot interacts with the design I reckon. It's made worse by running in the wet all the time. For example, my last pair of Roclites lasted nearly 600 miles, but this pair, which have been constantly wet/muddy, have started to split at just over 200.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've avoided having the 'uppers' splitting on my second pair of Fellcross by applying a good quantity of water proofing agent. Along with vaseline and WD 40.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey - would have thought that combination would have melted em image. May be something I should try....

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The main thing Bus, is to prevent dirt particles getting into the structure and material of the shoe. Its that which gradually levers the shoe apart.

Ok then. Back in the house, fed and watered after a session.

6 (six) x 0.5 miles (inspired by Phil actually)

2:52, 2:51, 2:48, 2:47, 2:46, 2:53 in that order.

According to the Garmin, I started the first effort at 6:48 and finished the last at 7:14, so the recovery is in there, somewhere.

The HR monitor was showing under 120 bpm before the start of each run, and it was a bit cold so didn't feel like hanging around.

🙂

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)

6 (six) x 0.5 miles (inspired by Phil actually)

Actually half miles are credited to bus, I do the minibus which is shorter at 800m.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Philip. Good reps Ric.

Bit sluggish last night and this morning, but not surprising. Run home tonight, but day off tomorrow before LSR Sunday. The old back ache has reared its very ugly head a bit, but often does after lots of downhilling pummeling the spine. Hopefully it'll calm down in the next day or so with a few Ibuprofen.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Wow Matt, speedy stuff indeed!  Great to see you back amongst the PBs after some disappointing 10Ks.  I'm sure you can push on from here.

Good reps Dean and Ric

• Options

OK, lunchtime, Last Friday of the Month 5k round Hyde Park. A week early due to some dudes who can't really run and need to swim and cycle beforehand to justify their existence. 3 miles jog out as a warm up and get to the bandstand just after 12 noon for a 12:30 start so enough time to chin wag with runners from all sides of the capital and beyond.

Line up at the start about 3 rows back, 3-2-1 and go! Little bit of jostling but settled in and first km in 3:30 which is about right. Into the second km and suddenly a group come past me and the legs feel as though all the speed and springiness has gone out of them. 2nd km in 3:39 and the pattern continued with a 3:43, 3;50 and saved a bit of dignity with a 3:41 last km for 18:25.

Can't really say I'm either happy nor sad. The whole 5k was at about the same pace as the 800 reps I did on Wednesday so in one way I am happy that I can do 5k non-stop as fast as I can do reps but in another way I am thinking I should be doing faster reps to get the leg speed up. Looking back, I did 18:24 on the same course last year for my first outing so today was comparable. I was 2nd V45 and ahead of all the V50s but behind a very fast V60, Dave Cox, some may know him.

The wind was strong in paces and certainly didn't help.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Still an ok result Phil. For many runners, a single sub six minute mile would be a dream time, let alone three of them, and some.

At Staines I mentioned a period when I ran several races on consecutive weeks (12). That was an attempt to get race fit through racing. It worked, but that didn't mean I could go any faster.

In the end the performances went flat, and the racing simply became routine effort. 

I sort of lost interest after that.

🙂

• Options

Well done Phil good to replicate rep pace in a race

I did Christleton 5k not good at reports but suffice to say went off fast 3.01 1st k settled in 2nd lost it a bit 3k (3.18) then went for it 4/5th k finishing off with a 3.03K came 1st v45 in 15.45 absolutely chuffed image

Great to see Stevie thanks for the support 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great run Rob. Not surprised you're pleased. 15:45 has a nice look about it. Apart from the relatively slow 3rd k, average 5:00 minute miling.

Wish I could go faster based on my own fitness readings.

10 minutes on the bike this morning where I wound up the effort until my HR hit 164bpm. Hit the stopwatch and one minute later the HR was down to 80bpm.

So that's an 8.2.

Once again, nothing else needed to be done.

Reminds of a session which Peter Coe had set for his 'athlete'. It was 30 x 200m in 30seconds off a short recovery (30secs). Incidently, this was the benchmark session that he deemed that a world class 1500m runner should able to manage prior to the races.

What happened was that Seb was knocking them off in 27 seconds. Coe senior called the session off after 20, saying that doing anymore wouldn't achieve anything but added fatigue, his athlete had already proved the point.

How many runners can make a decision like that, to cut a session because its going so well. If I said about 1 out of 100, I'd say that's being generous.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

outstanding Rob, I saw the result last night and thought you would be buzzing. a big pb!

a lot of good performances last night, lee went well too!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Rob image

Good outing yesterday too Philip. Wonder what happened to Samir....

• Options

Good pace there rob, enjoy being chuffed.

Bus, Samir was there, just not racing.

• Options

Nice one Rob.

Well done Phil and an interesting comparison on pace vs 800s. I'll head up to Hyde Park one day. It's a shame that those tri guys need to swim a mile and cycle 25mi as a warm up before their 29min 10k image

It is well documented that you are faster than I. I was doing 800s off 2:54 before my last 5 km PB in Dec.

FIRST* would have you doing 800s off 2:43 (erring on the 18:30 rather than 18:20) and McMillan at 2:47 to 2:55.

*Which I now fully agree will break people.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Fookin 'eck Rob! Awesome mate. Congrats on a big PB!
  • Options
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

It is well documented that you are faster than I. I was doing 800s off 2:54 before my last 5 km PB in Dec.

Just looked and I was doing them at 2;50 last June but I'll take doing them slowly over not doing them at all due to injury. Anyhow, it is all about doing what you enjoy: just look at Rob and Dean fighting it out at the sharp end and yet however bad  I felt yesterday was, I was still second in my age group (18 V45 in total), and 27th out of a field of 220 so there were almost 200 slower out.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

And I imagine that the standard was higher. You have to be keen to make the line for a Friday race. 27th from 220.

Staines: 5th from 556. So around 99% were slower.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Great running RobT, looks like there's more to come off that with a solid 3rd Km! 

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Just looked and I was doing them at 2;50 last June but I'll take doing them slowly over not doing them at all due to injury. Anyhow, it is all about doing what you enjoy: just look at Rob and Dean fighting it out at the sharp end and yet however bad  I felt yesterday was, I was still second in my age group (18 V45 in total), and 27th out of a field of 220 so there were almost 200 slower out.

I do agree with this, and it wasn't criticism in any way, shape or form. I think Ric summed it up well too - LFOTM is pretty serious.

Just back from a very easy hour on the TT bike, again capped by HR. It's strange to ride that bike slowly. An afternoon at Legoland now beckons image