Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Dachs, there is a wine 26.2mile -  the marathon du Medoc. 

Kill or cure Matt!

So 20m tempo today at 10km pace after 20m warmup. Used season's best for 10km pace which was 4:21/km. It felt like hard work, especially with the wind. Slightly annoying to find out the route was mostly downhill, though normalised pace was right on the button, with actual pace 4:17 so 6:54/min in old pence. 

Stomach tender afterwards. Can't believe I used to do these week in week out faster and longer. 

Rest day tomorrow. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

40 miles! image

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

20mins Ric. 20 minutes.

• Options

Ah, I was thinking metres image

(M = mile, m = metre, min = minutes - this is the sort of thing that buggered the Mars lander image)

Parkrun this morning - first one for ages. We started off at what felt like a steady pace, and I kept with a group of 3, feeling like I wasn't pushing too hard. After the first mile I tried to push on and leave the group, but a lady runner kept with me and then overtook me. I managed to stay with her for the next mile or so, even briefly overtaking her on the steps, but in the closing 3/4M she pulled ahead by a fair way and I couldn't go any quicker without retching. She looked comfortable and nearly caught a young lad who just pipped her to the finish. So, 3rd place and 18:11 helped by being paced for me - pretty pleased, as I wasn't expecting much under 19 today. I didn't think I was in good form, the course is pretty slippery in places with lots of grass and I had fish and chips and a fair amount of beer last night! 18:12 is currently my best time on that course, so it may be a course pb - will see what the official time comes out as!

• Options

Miles in legs = slow legs. Did the same parkrun as bus and didn't feel tired but just didn't have any speed in the legs. Looking at the log, it shows today ends a 7 day run of 66 miles as I did the long run on Sunday. Splits are very even and average pace 6:20 (19:39) so all is fine in terms of speed needed for next year's marathon.

• Options

Not surprising Philip! Forgot to stop my GPS when I got in the car after our warm down, so briefly had a best 0.5M of 1:31 going uphill on Strava! Now deleted!

Wish I'd managed to keep with the 2nd placed runner - she just dipped inside 18 mins (17:57), which is something I've been aiming for for a long time!

Hey ho, official time of 18:11 is still the best time on that course for me so mustn't grumble!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice turnouts chaps. Can't knock a course pb Bus. Especially one you've raced a fair few times now.

I actually woke at 8.30, but then enjoyed some more sleep until about 11.30. Definitely holiday time mode now. Off for the next 16 days, so will have to set up with the pair of you for some runs, certainly a Marlow route course, either half or the offroader for sure.

Invitation for a run extended to anyone on here too...tho realistically probably more to the southern lot!  Maybe a bit of Lookout action if someone more Berkshire based find that an easier place. Love that place and haven't run there for years now.

Off for an easy 5 now, and then a day of TV Footy watching. Beautiful.

• Options

Nice Parkrunning Bus/Philip, pretty quick girl you were up against.

Personally I decided against the Parkrun, sore throat arrived and it's XC tomorrow. Shame as I felt like PB was possible, and I normally can't do them as I'd be cycling with the club. I think the sensible advice is starting to seep into my stubborn head.

I'd be up for a run of any distance/terrain if I happen to be around, I am Berkshire, but can do Marlow no problem. I've enjoyed getting lost in the lookout a few times too.

• Options
    I like the lookout too. I'm not racing XC tomorrow as I was to get out on the bike.

M vs m vs mile confusion caused by laziness on tablet. Autocorrect not helping.

Nice parkrunning people.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the idea of you doing 20miles at your 10k pace was quite chucklesome!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Run tomorrow should take me into the 70's for the week. Pleasantly surprised how quickly the repeatable double digit runs have come about.

Only factor seems to be, 'don't push the pace'. Quite tempting in places mind. When I feel oxygen debt emerging, I ease off.

Despite the hills, the road runs are at around 7:30 av, and the XC around 8:15's.

Weight is coming off. Dropped from 131lb's to 125lb's in six weeks. Darn sight easier not carrying that lot.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Good parkrunning today bus and Philip. And some tasty training iron and ric.

simon , I thought you went sub 4.10 over 1500 this summer?

did a hilly, tempo Xc type session this morning.  3 of my least favourite wordsimage but the session went well. 5 laps (just under a mile each) off 60 sec rec.   came out ave 5.35 mile pace.  Factoring in the hills I'm happy with that.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the parkruns fellas. Bus, I don't think she'd have minded if you let out a big wretch as you closed in on her.

Prob wise skipping your Parkrun Andrew. Good luck at the XC.

Nice session too Dean.

Still hit and miss with my foot, some days it has felt 95% fine and ran with no problems, others its constantly there. Decided to dig my spikes out and go for a run on the mud in the wind and rain. I was hoping the soft boggy playing fields would help and they did. Couldn't feel it. A mile warm up and down then I decided to just run to feel, keeping a honest effort and without looking at my watch and averaged a shade over 6min mile pace for 6 miles.

Just been to watch the podium 5k. First 4 were sub 15! I've not seen the results but I think the lad what won in 14.5x was a lad I beat by 10 seconds or so in August at Capenhurst 5k. If it was him he also ran 31.3x at Leeds. I'm not jealous one bit, honest. Both of them big PBs too. Might be mistaken identity though.
  • Options

Just dropping in to note an unconfirmed sighting of Samir H yesterday at the Met League in Uxbridge...! Tracksuit top under his vest with gloves - was a frosty 10c degrees!

• Options
    LSH88 wrote (see)

Just dropping in to note an unconfirmed sighting of Samir H yesterday at the Met League in Uxbridge...! Tracksuit top under his vest with gloves - was a frosty 10c degrees!

Seems to be true: he is in the results: 56th in a field of 383 and 29:47 cf the winner (who is U20) 26:16. Seems he also did the Perivale 5 and came second which is a good result beating people like Ben Martin-Dye but the time of 27:29 isn't too hot and again he lost to a U23 by over a minute. Hard to say with Samir: he is fast but he is young so the strength of youth masks a lot.

• Options

Tracky top UNDER a vest? Weird - sounds like Samir image

28th would be good for me for a run - not TOO early though image

Matt - shows what is coming up for you in 2015 then! I'm sure she'd have loved the sound of me retching - as she accelerated away!

Dean - nice casual 5:35s for hilly XC reps! You make it sound easy!

Big mile week that Ric. Just off for my LSR in a bit - aiming for 14 to make 52 for the week (whihc will give 5x 50+ out of the last 6 weeks) before easing down over Christmas and then ramping up to (hopefully!) a few 60+ in Jan in prep for Wokingham Half.

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

28th would be good for me for a run - not TOO early though image

28th fine for me too. Definitely no plans to do it at SG normal Sunday start time. I'll throw out an idea, maybe meet at the Royal Oak in Marlow http://www.royaloakmarlow.co.uk which is about 400m from the start/finish of the Marlow Half and do something which looks a bit like 13 or 14 at steady pace (no faster than 7:30, maybe closer to 7:45) and then if afterwards we happened to drift in for a pint it wouldn't be the end of the world.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just back in from 12 miles XC to make 72 miles for the week. Nothing planned as regards pace but considering the course and conditions, felt 8:30's would be ok as an easy result. Numbers didn't add up and averaged 8:15's.

72 miles does sound a lot, but then again, I'm not accumulating fatigue from one day to the next. I might feel something the day after a 'tough' one. But I'm not going to add to it.

🙂

• Options

Good mileage Ric, good sessions Dean/Matt.

I am driving back from Pembs on the 28th, so will have to give it a miss.

XC today at Broadmoor Hospital, the Reading AC speedsters guesting at the front, including, if I'm not mistaken, a certain Jonny D? 

I started ok but it felt like a struggle, I sheltered behind my Nemesis for a couple of miles but after the first proper hill I just felt awful. Nothing in the legs, maybe something to do with the sore throat and swollen glands in my neck. Don't know if this effects performance but I'd like to attribute it to something.

I gradually faded and finished behind several chaps I'd only beaten up to now. Even had a stitch for a mile or so which is unusual. Think I was about 11th, but first really disappointing run since I laboured round the Wargrave 10k in the summer.

Also felt like running round again as I was leaving, like I'd left something out there, very strange.

Takes me to 36 miles for the week, plus a 40k bike ride, not really enough at this stage. I may do an easy 4m this evening to get to 40.

• Options

Phil - putting aside his lofty ambitions, that was quite a respectable run yesterday! Although some way off sub 2 hour marathon standards

• Options

Nice one Ric - a lot quicker than my long run in what sounds similar conditions.

14 miles and about 1800ft at 8:41 pace. Target for this route is always sub 8:30 pace, so still a bit to go, but 5 mins faster than when I did it two weeks ago. I deliberately held the pace down in the first half, with the second half much quicker - the last muddy mile was actually 7:26 pace, so happy I wasn't too fatigued. Leg a bit sore at times still though.

Sounds a good plan Philip - I'd be happy with that. If you wanted an off-road alternative, we could meet up at Hughenden Church and do a nice circular 13/14 from there (or start at the Harrow in Hughenden valley if a pint was in order?)

• Options
    LSH88 wrote (see)

Phil - putting aside his lofty ambitions, that was quite a respectable run yesterday! Although some way off sub 2 hour marathon standards

I don't think the XC was anywhere near as he has shown elsewhere.

The Bus wrote (see)
    Sounds a good plan Philip - I'd be happy with that. If you wanted an off-road alternative, we could meet up at Hughenden Church and do a nice circular 13/14 from there (or start at the Harrow in Hughenden valley if a pint was in order?)

bus, if it is just you and I, then the Harrow is a good plan. I just offered up Marlow to try and include those who live out Reading side.

• Options

Too far and too fast for me Phil, but thanks anyhow.

Good racing Samir, Matt & Andrew. That is some mileage Ric.

Hour on the bike today, enough for the week. Off to Swinley tomorrow on the MTB, which will count as a couple of hours bike speedwork. Yesterday's rest day involved an exam and a practical assessment. Subject to the exam marking I am now a Level1 Triathlon Coach with my club's junior section.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Unlucky Andrew, still a decent outcome in a good series for you.

Had my first look at some of the results this year. certainly does look a little light at the front. It can go like that though. 2 years ago, I did 3 races and was 3rd to 6th, and without any drop off the next year, 4 races, 1x6th and 3x 10/11th.

The Datchet boys alone have lost 3 real front end finishers, Tom's long gone, Chris usually injured, and now Alex off to Belgrave. Some of the other top dogs seem to just do the odd race, Dachs, a TVT chap whose name I've forgotten, Crispy isn't under Reading anymore etc.

However, that 2nd place was still terrific Andrew...I still dine out on a 3rd two years ago, a real dream race, where I even rudely almost overtook Graham, instead settling for a 1second difference in the final reckoning. He'd done a gruelling long run the day before, which I had to find out from someone else, as he's never one for excuses, which is super unusual for runners!

Your nemesis Craggs is quite an interesting case. Had a look on his PO10, and he has a real standout 15.20 5k track result. Also has a 16.43 parkrun. However the rest is all under my pbs, so not sure what the crack is there.

For one thing, surely he must have gone through his 3k pb within that 15.20 5k!?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

apologies for that "make it about me" post above...I guess I can feel the desire to race again rising...

although with this gem from Phil, maybe I best not as it won't be good enough image

PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    LSH88 wrote (see)

27:29 isn't too hot

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

72miles Ric? Bit tasty.

Bus/Phil, probably off to Shrewsbury on the Sunday, so was going to offer a Saturday longrun! But I see you're both sorted now!

Likely I might have a 10-12 Wednesday though if either are around?

Dachs, you around for any shared run action next 2 weeks?

As for me, this week's basket, has been 6x1/2mile at 5.20 pace average, 4miles HMP at 5.46 average, and 2 12milers at sub 7 pace.
    It's been a good week.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

although with this gem from Phil, maybe I best not as it won't be good enough image

PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    LSH88 wrote (see)

Just dropping in to note an unconfirmed sighting of Samir H

27:29 isn't too hot

Yep, every man and his dog has gone sub 27:30 for 5 miles. I remember when I did so, seemed a big marker as it was closer to 5 minutes a mile than 6 minutes a mile and in those days 5 miles was the shortest recognised race for road runners: none of these easy 5k and 3k stuff.

• Options

SG, 10-12 this Wednesday as in Christmas Eve?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

25-30 years ago was a different age Phil. That was the days 31mins for 10k would only get you 475th out of 500 in the Cock N Biscuits village 10k.

Very likely Phil, though need to confirm on the distance, but most likely!

• Options

SG - no need to apologise, your post made interesting reading. I guess the TVT chap is Rich K. He raced the first two, but he's had some injury problems I think.

It wasn't light at the front today, that's for sure, with the Reading AC ringers along for the ride!