Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Or undertake to do 10% of a Proclaimers song (both bits)....

mind you "pretty stupid and pointless" is what the vast majority of the population think about any of the distances we do!

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    A bit of rain here today and bloody cold but no snow thankfully. One of the 'features' of Tunbridge Wells are the brick pavements. Whilst they look very nice, they're a complete death trap in the cold - slippy as a ice rink. Nearly arse over tit a couple of times but managed to stay upright.

The forecast for tomorrow though is crap so I got out for my long run today instead - progressive 2hr 15min job. 30 mins @ 7.15, 30 mins @ 6.55, 30 mins @ 6.40, 30 mins @ 6.25, 15 mins @ 7.15. 20 miles done on the button and double helping of beef stew for dinner. WIN
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

1 hour 45 easy in the plan for me today.  Got the dates wrong with the XC race - it's next Sunday.

New routine/agreement with Mrs CC82 starts today.  My Sunday long run will finish at a supermarket and we'll meet there for the weekly shop...  Closest supermarket is about 12 miles away, there's one about 18 miles and I think the other must be about 16 miles and all 3 are at the other end of the old railway line so should be able to fit long runs around that.

1:45 should come out at about 13.5-14 miles maybe a bit less.  Either way - longest run for quite some time.  In fact just looked back at my stats and I didn't do anything longer than HM in 2014 - 24 August 2013 I ran a 17.5 mile hill race so today will be my longest run since then.  I did a 20 miler on 4 August 2013 which is the one and only time I've ran a full 20 miles without having to stop...

Oh - and it sounds bloody windy out there!  If the wind is blowing the same direction it normally does it should generally be a tailwind most of the way image

• Options
    Ha ha sounds like a win all round there Jonas!! Had a bit if snow yesterday morning but berkhamsted looked pretty snowy as I got the train later into London. Before that was interesting...decided to pop out at 8 ish to do a few hills on the field close to me. I'm a bit weary as you get a few rogue dogs out and it's worse the earlier in the day as their owners hope no one is about.

So..trundle over there and just as I'm getting near I see this youngish German shepherd dog racing towards me and launches himself at me. The owner comes over and isn't that apologetic until I show him my claw scrape marks on my chest and through the nipple (lovely) and on my leg! I calm down and the owner is actually ok as he runs and cycles, but he has been down to the police with him before as he has had a go at someone else before! I said I will report him if I see it not muzzled next time. It's frustrating as every time you try and find somewhere off road to run, there's always bastard dogs about. Not happy! Long run today from Woburn to the in laws in Bedford. Good 15 or so, glady doesn't look too icy.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not nice Simon. Sounds like the thing needs gloves rather than a muzzle though!  Amazing that he's already let the thing attack someone and been to the police and still lets it loose!

CC82 - nice compromise! Not sure what any fellow shoppers with a sense of smell might think though image

Johnas - quality long run that.

Off for my LSR in a mo. Looks like it'll be squelchy rather than crispy and I can't say I'm hugely enthused about i after a really bad night's sleep. 

• Options

That'll be long slow then .... ?

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    13.7 miles done. Waiting for my wife (always late...). 7:45 average pace - really easy apart from final 25 mins or so which was into a right baa stars of a headwind...!! 45.49 for the week.

EDIT: that was an interesting autocorrect. I'll just leave it there.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Some great long runs today and yesterday chaps, especially Johnas. Snowed overnight here again so I had a cracking out and back run on the canal this morning. Lots of trail sections to the part i ran but covered in compacted snow. Came out at 6.34 for the 14.

Hope the weather wasn't too much of a factor for Robs half.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Simon, I had to stop 4 times for dogs today. Owners let them run up to me or start chasing me and you can never be sure if they're after my chicken legs for dinner.
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    The thing with dogs and their owners is that the ones that are allowed to run up to you are probably friendly, hence the owner not keeping them close on the lead. But when I run towards a dog it always runs straight at me meaning there's almost a collision and I have to stop or slow down or do a quick shimmy to get past. I was doing reps on the old railway line last week and I passed the same guy walking his dog 3 times. He was pretty good at putting the dog on the lead when he saw me coming but when I ran passed them from the back the bloody dog lunged at me (in a friendly way) very last minute and there was nearly a pile up. I could tell the guy was getting pissed off at me (he probably couldn't understand why I was running back and forth along the same stretch of path) so I carried on a bit further and did a couple of reps out of his way and to avoid me or the dog getting hurt!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

some epic long runs, well done people.

sheepishly short long run for me today, just the 10 to round a 47mile week up. Pretty much a 75% level week with no quality, just to get back into the swing of things post last week's terrible output when ill.

As for dogs, I've had many times I've had to stop dead while some owner spends ages trying to get their dog under control leaping round playing silly beggars.

Only time I can remember offering some "advice" was when my tolerance was rock bottom at the end of a 20min or so session sprinting diagonals of a footy pitch, when some dog got right in my grill near the end.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I like dogs, but they are stupid and come in three types - those that want to bite you, those that want to play with you or those that ignore you. The ones that want to play are the worst as that's when their stupidity comes in, with the favourite game being to run right in front of you!

Mind you, quite a few have even stupider owners! Don't even get me started (again!) on those ridiculous long leads!!

Philip - should have been called a LVSR today! VERY slow! Combination of mud and tired legs, but also a weird pain on the top of my big toe joint. Caused by new shoes yesterday I think, but kept coming on with enough pain to make me shriek and have to hop. I tried removing the lace from the pressure point, but it came back, and at the furthest point from home I seriously thought I was going to have to stop and call the Mrs as it hurt so much However, at this point I had to run through some deep, very cold puddles and the foot stopped hurting, and so long as I soaked it every couple of miles it was OK to get round in the end! So 15M done in a tortuous 2:15 to make 55 for the week - very hilly week too with just shy of 5000 ft of climbing.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Great - just had a Strava message that an obscure 1.3M segment record in Aylesbury I got last week has just been beaten. My pace was 6:17, so I could easily have improved it a bit. The pace of the guy who took it is an unassailable (by me!) 5:20!!! He is Ian Kimpton and has a 65 min half and several sub 15 parkruns to his name. Shouldn't be allowed....

• Options

Bus, if you are in enough pain to make you 'shriek' you just shouldn't be running.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I know Lit - I was going to bale out at the nearest road if it carried on, but luckily the cold water sorted it out, so I presume it was some sort of inflammation just catching on the shoe every now and again. Certainly nothing permanent

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

That's a great long run Johnas, things really looking up.

Unfortunate mishap there Simon, did you smear yourself in gravy before you headed out?

Bus, you never cease to find new sources of pain. Interesting remedy with the puddles though.

Good running also CC82, Matt.

Back to Thames Valley League XC for me today. Has all my cross country training work this winter paid off? Has it f**k. Lost contact with the leader early by struggling to get past the chasing group on narrow paths, then lost 2nd place towards the end of the first of two laps. Held 3rd, but I was some way behind them. I expected to lose to the winner, but not the other one. Still haven't ever finished better than 3rd in this league.

Starting to think I have a mental block with TVXC. My runs in the much more competitive Hampshire League have been solid at least, but not in these. Disappointing.

On the other hand, maybe having run 72 miles in the 6 days preceding the race didn't help.

• Options

Did see you as I headed out for my WU. 3rd is nothing to be sniffed at. Our admin guy today said that Graham had quite a lead on 2nd place.

Similar day at TVXC here (bar the positions). Don't seem to be able to 'give' whilst racing any more, though I did contest and lose a sprint finish. My memory plays tricks on me and I recall the finish being steeper and don't remember that other hill at all!

I think I need to line up further back and take the first half easier, before battering the second rather than record yet another fecking positive split. I always seem to find myself in a gap with no-one around. When someone did come along and try to pass we battled along for a few km pushing the pace. I think we were both guilty of overtaking and slowing repeatedly.

Anyhow, sub 100 for the first time this season, so a positive outcome nonetheless.

Likely marshalling at the next one as it is on home turf.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Don't feel too bad Dachs, it was 3rd after all, not 103rd!

Interesting course at Lightwater isn't it, superbly varied. Although to be honest I don't like 2 lappers when the lap is so long, and the stretch from the river seems to take forever to see you back.

Bus, a new niggle!  Did you say you averaged 47miles a week last year, you've upped that a chunk these last few weeks, and also doing hard steep offroaders too Has the load caused it do you reckon?

Had an offer whether I'm interested in being a marathon mentor. It is rewarding and interesting coaching and all of that side,  and coaching Lit, and adapting P&D's schedule does work quite well...but mentoring is about having been there, and I haven't!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, this is the bit I miss about not racing, the going over the details later image

That main hill will always stick in the mind as it's about 5mins in, and goes up a long way. And has those odd ledges near the top.

It's that second hill that's much shorter, but because of that a bit steeper, the grassy bank, perhaps 3/5 of the way into the lap that surprises

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I walked a couple of steps at the top of that twatting hill. That was a low point. Then I saw that 4th was gaining, and I have never come close to losing to him, so I had to push myself on.

If I run like that at the inter counties I will be brutally exposed.

Yes, I know lots of people would love to be 3rd, but when you've beaten everyone present on the roads several times, some by big margins, you can't help but judge yourself by those standards.

Besides, if I didn't beat myself up after races, I'd probably still be on a 35 minute 10k. Its what drives me.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yes, true, but on the other hand, you've turned up on the casual, and comfortably got a 3rd.

When you do those road races you've had a systematic build up.

If that's your worst race this year I think you'll be delighted image

Graham's a funny runner. Has superb pedigree, and I wonder what he'd be capable of if he trained like some of you guys on here.
    As it stands,I don't think he's done what he's capable of on the road for years now, since a 1hr 11 half a few years back.

But these MT events, he knows like the back of his hand, and his style, and knowledge of the course generally fuse to great effect,

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Do you normally beat the guy in 2nd at XC Dachs? Shows your pedigree when you've had a 'bad' run and still come 3rd.

It's a completely different beast to the roads as you know. A clubmate of mine today ran 71.50 for a half and the lad he beat in 2nd has better PBs at every other distance on the roads and took about 2 minutes out of him over less than 6 miles at XC last week. Just goes to show that anything can happen on the day.

SG, have you scheduled any races in yet?
  • Options

Nice XC runs Dachs & Iron, good long running everyone else. I was going to cycle to XC again but had to take the little one to swimming. Plus I hated being their last week not being able to run.

I find it can be fun trying to deal with dogs. I have played through scenarios in my head as I am out running where I have fought dogs poked my fingers in their eyes and strangled them, and generally kicked the shit out of them. I then suddenly realise what I am thinking about and wonder briefly if this is normal?

50 mins on the Wattbike this afternoon, boring, boring, boring. Physio tomorrow.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, love the arm warmers by the way image

Matt, this little ill period has put things back a little, but I hope to have a turnout in the next few weeks. Just a short outing, just to remember what that race intensity is like.

Looking back, my race record is even more shocking than I realised, nothing bar parkruns since March! Time does fly.

• Options

I just don't get dogs. It's the 21st century FFS. 

Ran across a small footbridge near where we live and I saw a woman bending down to her dog, assuming naively she was holding it until I went past. No, she was letting it off the lead. "it won't bite" she said as it barrelled towards me. Told her to keep her dangerous animal on a lead. 

HR went through the roof!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

"he's just playing"

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Andrew, definitely not just you. Haha. I was mentally volleying the dogs today.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

"he's never done that before" is another good one! 

Don't worry SG, the pain today isn't a running injury, but caused by a wearing a new pair of shoes yesterday. It'll be gone  before I know it as well. One of those annoying things that just happens sometimes, but nothing to do with training load (which is only slightly up on the last couple of months anyway). 

Dachs, your last line says why it was 3rd not 2nd! Still a bloody good result though! 

Nice racing Iron as well.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Dachs, the guy in 2nd was one of ours (Windle Valley); if its any consolation he's only 30 and still newish to running and improving at a rate of knots (though last year's performances don't really show it as he was injured for a lot of it). He said afterwards it was his best xc run ever and seemed really pleased with it. 39th myself, happy with that as a V50 and thought the course was just how an xc should be after last week's mudbath at Tadley.

• Options

Cheers Bus! I've had a couple of those niggles and they're a bugger!

True Dachs - that's one of the things we've all got here; a desire to improve. There is a cut off point somewhere it's quicker to walk than run, but I know what you mean. Used my arms an awful lot more this week than last.

I did jump over a dog at Woodley parkrun once. And in France whilst dashing back to the coach to get a ferry.