Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

In Abingdon Marathon 2006, somewhere about the 20M mark I think, the Marshalls tried to stop runners and make them wait for the ped crossing, having been told to by the police! You can imagine runners responses at that point!  Course has been amended to remove that bit now.

Conversely, at the end of the Tour of Britain this year, just after the riders had passed on the last loop, marshals were trying to stop the spectators cross the road to get to the finish area, citing "'elf and safety". This was after all the riders were gone and weren't coming back - the biggest health and safety risk was that the marshals would get mullered by the crowd! They eventually let us go...

Dachs wrote (see)

SG would run faster if he wasn't always sporting big old baggy shorts like the footballer he is at heart.

It's the black socks with road shoes that is unforgivable image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Cheeky frigs.

If you look closely (but not too closelyimage ), you'll see they are short shorts but with cycling shorts underneath image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ps ric, lovely summary.ive put my name down as a potential...will see if we can muster 17runners and support.

Used to go to Norfolk as a kid for hols. Wells next the sea, but loads of trips.i notice one leg starts from wells.

Worst leg has to be awaiting the 20mile runner..through the night.

Be very interested to hear how they plan it all.especially stayovers,getting to legs and what you do in between and after!!

Also hope it doesn't clash with big footy games...like tonights terrific win

Whoooioooop
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    You need a vest like I wore to my last race SG, don't know how to post pictures but it's a bright bugger. It'd go well with them baggy shorts.

Had a go at x training last night which is bloody boring. Spinning tonight and in the morning and then the physio thurs evening. Looking very doubtful that I'll be doing the 12 stage but fingers crossed.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, worst leg is the one that starts playing up 11 miles into the 20 miler.image.

Yes waiting around. With the RNR, one aspect is timing the start of your leg with the incoming runner.

In my first RNR, I arrived, expecting my predicted start to be more or less correct, only to find our team was operating over two hours behind schedule, so some hanging around involved.

But mainly the event may have been on for several hours before you even have to leave home for Norfolk. I mean, the event lasts so long that some early leg runners are already home before you have even left, if that makes any sense.

Obviously, not everyone ends up at the finish. But more satisfying that way. Just have to ensure you don't fall asleep at the wheel afterwards.

Getting 17 runners is one problem many clubs have, but a few ringers and second claimers helps things along. Getting an entry to the race itself is a bit of a lottery, there's a spring loaded demand. 

Note: Take your own cooking gear for a fry up. The organisers know how to maximise profits with starving runners. The fry up they laid on worked out as £1 per small item. £1 for a tomato or a mushroom.ffs. Even had security ensuring no one took an extra bit. Only downside of the weekend.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt, sorry, on my phone at the game last night, so missed you have a potential injury brewing. Needless to say, I hope that disappears.

And if you want to see baggy shorts, you should have seen what I rolled up to the Marlow half in years ago. Ridiculously baggy, like the type some fat American kid would skateboard in.

Ric, I was never too interested in the Greenbelt relay, even though one of the legs starts from about 5miles away. But will definitely do a lot of reading ontheir site for this one.

You make a good point about the actual race entry. I remember now there was something about whether we actually got accepted. I expect there's a lot of pressure to pick the right teams, who won't fall apart and ruin their lovely event for starters!

Our club are very game though, and have a lot of members, so I expect we will get 17 together. What sort of level we're dealing with is obviously a different question, so they'd really have to make sure we get the predicted timings a lot better than the guys before you!

We had a 2mile relay the other year, where I was coming in to finish, and saw our final leg runner and had to scream at him to get to the finish! image

Does bring back memories of other relays where your team is sorted well, and you look at some poor other guy, laundering his breeks to finish well, only to find no next runner is anywhere to be seen, completely ruining any effort he's put in!

Right, 12miler on the agenda shortly. We're back in the proper stuff after a couple of recovery days.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

It's the black socks with road shoes that is unforgivable image

I think a childhood of being told off for wearing white socks that were likely to get muddied up has long put me off.

That and the fact I've long since lost my "racing" socks.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Obviously, not everyone ends up at the finish. But more satisfying that way. Just have to ensure you don't fall asleep at the wheel afterwards.

this made me think of one certain runner in our team. We'd do a 5-6 leg relay, and the guy who does the first leg has always buggered off home by the time it finishes, whether we're in with a chance of winning or not.

I don't get that.at all.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

There's nothing wrong with black race socks.  You just need to pair them with a suitably eye-catching pair of non-baggy shorts to divert attention.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/16737360008_4bb074a62c.jpg

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I tend to wear black socks if I do a fell/off road or Xc race. It's hard enough keeping the white ones white at road races.

Foot feels a lot better today but I'm going to resist temptation to try a run til Friday.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I just run in the first pair I find and let the wife deal with the fall out image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

size with socks is the key, not colour!

My word that's a well defined leg PP

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

right...there are well defined rules to stuff like this.

black socks only acceptable doing XC/fell type event 

White socks for track and road

It is acceptable in certain occasions to bend these rules if you are colour matching/clashing with spikes/trainers/vests etc

Breaking these simple rules angers the PB gods and a life of plateau and burn outs will become you.  Be warned everyone image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

When I were a lad, par for the course for cross country was no socks. Not sure I'd be able to get away with that now.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dean - you are spot on! Obviosuly PP's combo fits in with your 4th point!

Andrew G wrote (see)

I just run in the first pair I find and let the wife deal with the fall out image

Are you talking socks or PP style shorts here? image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

StevieG - Steady now!

DeanR7 wrote (see)

It is acceptable in certain occasions to bend these rules if you are colour matching/clashing with spikes/trainers/vests etc

Is it wrong that I'm getting excited about the track season based on foot attire colour matching?

http://media.startfitness.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/360x/smushed_9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/i/nike_elite_hyper-lite_no-show_tab_socks-blue_1.jpg

http://media.startfitness.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/800x600/smushed_9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/r/brooks-mach-16-110175-1d398_1.jpg

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think that photo is just after i started dunking bottles of water over my head.as that looks more bedraggled than it felt that early.

re socks, if id known that was slowing me down id have sorted long ago.

12 done, 7.03or so.never feels amazing post late night funnily enough
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - i too used to do xc without socks as a lad

PP - those blue spikes/socks combo would not anger the PB gods.  in fact quite the opposite

• Options

Nowt wrong with black socks - my Tesco ones are my bog standard running socks, although I used the old Ron Hill twin skin ones at Reading. Ive seen my photos from Reading and I look like death warmed up. Yes Stevie, not sure about the baggy shorts image, glad you survived Luton..a couple of my training group would have wandered down there after training.

I wore football shorts on my gentle 5 miler on Monday..I'm not wasting running shorts for a 5 mile leg loosener! I wear footie shorts if i'm slow coming back from Injury.

Sunglasses have rules too. It might be sunny, but I never wear them in a track race under 5K, or in a cross country race. Just not right.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Wrong, but understandable PP!

SG - your black socks were the whole reason for that 4 secs image

Careful, or we might move onto pre and post race clothing etiquette!

Ran out of time for my lunchtime session today - grrrr!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Red socks if you are Dave Bedford breaking a record.

SG, is it the Round Norfolk Relay or the Green Belt Relay?

The Green Belt relay involves a leg on consecutive days so attention to recovery is critical. I did the GBR once with a 13.5 mile on Saturday and 10.8 miles on Sunday. I averaged sub six minute mile pace for both and ran 77:15 for the 13.5. 

First speed session this morning. 10 x one minute with one minute recovery.

Fully dressed with hat and gloves, I was doing 5:15's on grass. Heart rate mid 160's after the fast bits, 120's after the recovery. Felt sustainable. No force required. Hill session on Friday programmed.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

There have been XC races I wished I'd worn sunnies in, simply in order to be able to see properly.  Having said that, I reckon you can only get away with sunglasses if you're likely to be in the first five of any given race.

Hats - OK on the road, never on the track.  Ever.

• Options
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Sunglasses have rules too.

Actually for sunglasses there is only one rule: don't wear them unless you want to look like a prick. As Dachs says, finish top 5 and the prick look-a-like effect can be countered by the finish position.

See what I mean:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvQy-GZIAAE2B8o.jpg

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

One of the president's men, I assume.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Other rules:

It is never ok to wear a hat in a road race, or a track race  ....ever.....unless you are racing in texas where it is mandatory

Sunglasses are a no, unless you are a legend.  by legend i mean Double olympic champion and not some triathlete doing a park run.

Deep heat should not be part of your pre race ritual....its not 1985

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

Deep heat should not be part of your pre race ritual....its not 1985

whistles uncomfortably....

• Options

Sunglasses often needed for XC. Or safety glasses due to low hanging branches capable of removing ones' eye rapidly.

I wore orange trainers and black long socks for yesterday's track sesh. WITH SUNNIES! image

DeanR7 wrote (see)

Breaking these simple rules angers the PB gods and a life of plateau and burn outs will become you.  Be warned everyone image

Suddenly everything becomes clear. image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, was just using the Green Belt as an other example of a long relay we're involved in.

It's most definitely the Norfolk angle that's got me interested.

Although I think it'd be a much poorer affair if people just do their leg and ruck off home!

Got sign off to go sniffing for another race now, so having a gander around. Shorter of course. I've had my early year half marathon fixes for now

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ok, one last post on Reading half.

Official results are out now (or I actually got round to checking them rather than the other list), and upgraded to 193rd image

None of this list by chip time  nonsense (200th)

http://www.readinghalfmarathon.com/results15/VitalityReadingHalfMarathon_v2.pdf

Most interesting to see the splits really.

5k 18.22
    10k 36.21
    15k 54.46
    20k 1.12.33

(18.22,17.59,18.25,18.27) not a bad pacing job

Dachs, you'll be best for this. Do you think the elevation of ups versus downs is equal enough for the 10k to be used in a relevant way?

as in using it as a guide for a standalone fast 10k for example?