Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

oh, i managed some 600s too the other night at the end of my progressive marathon session.

20mins MP @ 5.55m/m (meant to be 6:05 so a bit too quick), 12 mins @ 5:52m/m, 6 mins @ 5:42m/m, then a 1200 in 3mins 59s and 2x 600m where i managed 1:50 and then 1:54. I was quite pleased with that.

Looking forward to running Paddock Wood this Sunday and seeing exactly where I'm at though. 4 weeks to VMLM

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Last time I went down to 200m for a rep was at the end of a pyramid session.  I thought I'd give it a proper blast, cheeks were puffing, the hands were all splayed out like a proper sprinter and everything, leaning into the bend.  I thought I'd transmogrified into John Regis or something.  32 seconds.  image

Nice reps, Dean!

• Options

SG, parkrun for the last 3 miles of your run? You know you want to.

No rain for me today. Shade inside 2 hours in sunshine at 7am: needed gloves but just shorts, t-shirt and one pair of socks: no sunglasses (but then I don't own a pair of sunglasses not a pair of jeans).

• Options

SG - My guts are generally better than they were, but still get affected by long races I think. In reps, it's so annoying as the one after is rubbish..good 600's there Jonas!

Dachs - had a few of those sensible withdrawls before..and a couple of runners strops when I've got in a mood and given up!

Dean - Presume it was windier oop north -which track is your local? in Stoke?

• Options

I used to suffer with GI issues and cramps after tempo efforts and XC races. After enough of them it went away and I could hit the buffet straight from the finish line.

Last XC season, back to square one! Sore stomach for the rest of the day.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - In answer to a question you asked a couple of days ago, my estimates using my mapping are that the start line at Reading is at about 38m AOD and the 10K point is about 46m AOD.  Therefore your first 10km was a slight net uphill, and you can indeed use that to compare to 10K times.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

perfect Dachs....a "legitimate" 10k within a half should definitely have at least a min to come off in a stand alone 10k i'd have thought. Would like to think i'd be mid 35 10k at the worst right now, so that'd stand up!

Phil - interesting idea...maybe. Would take a bit of logistics to work out. Or maybe it wouldn't...just turn up a couple of mins in, and have fun monstering past people. Although to produce HMP/MP on that course would probably be a higher intensity. But will weight it up.

Simon, i remember that first rep after! Never great fun. However, so much better than just unleashing without stopping, that I tried once. Not a good plan image

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    We have a club champs 10k coming up in a week. I was thinking about entering.

Sadly it would be my first race classified as a vet! In other news I was offered a job today, all still unofficial but could this herald a downward trend in my training!

Currently sat on a train that was virtually empty and some old bird comes and sits in the seat right opposite! I moved and now there's a guy sucking lips or something making some awful noise. I hate public transport.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good work Andrew. Presume you're meaning 40? Am not having 35 as a vet!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hill session done today.

Twenty two years ago I did an average on this drag of 2:01 with a warm following breeze. Today with an icy headwind I averaged 2:15.

Recovered way faster at the top on this occasion.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done on the job Andrew!

Good reps Dean and Simon. Nice long run Philip - legs recovered? Good luck at PW on Sunday Johnas!

Sweat was more down to breathability of the waterproof than my excess flab Ric!

Very busy week at work this week, so only managed a quick sesh at lunch - 5 x 400m off 200m rec aiming faster on each one. Bit slow really, but it was windy - 84, 83, 82, 79, 78

Bloody PC has broken down, so I can't access my training log!! 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

not much spare time today so did a 40 min tempo on my treadmill @ 5.39 pace.  felt good plus did it whilst watching an old utd DVD from 96/97 season.....damn we used to be good! 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    You old bastard Andrew.

At least you got some reps in Bus, look solid enough.

Nice tempo Dean.

Had a bash at parkrun this morning. Wanted to get close to 16 minutes. Long story short, I'm nowhere near. 16:37 today for first. It felt really quick, but I was actually slower than 2 weeks ago when I'd done 10 miles beforehand. Not sure where my form has gone, but I don't seem to have any speed in my legs. Have decided to try to fix this with some strides in some of my easy runs. Anyway, 10 for the day with warm up/warm down etc.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs, without wanting to sound like mr myagi... sometimes speed not found by doing more speedwork.  Maybe you just need fresher legs, you have had a bug and raced a 73 hm in the past week.  Rest and go again.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good tempo Dean. Is that what your marathon pace would be? Just to quantify it in my set in my ways zone terminology!

96.97 was indeed tasty, and the days of Karel "excelled at Euro 96 in centre mid, yet played at right wing when Beckham needed a rest" Porborsky and Jordi "nowhere near his dad" Cruyff.

Dachs, if you need some balance and disclaimers, come to papa, I have enough for everyone on this thread. Dean's provided you with enough for now though.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I had that most rare of sessions. One combining a long run with some quality. I guess this is the kind of frequent nightmare you marathon people have on a regular basis!

Was meant to be 13miles, with 4miles easy, 4m steady, 4m MP, then 1mile HMP to finish.

Phil had sowed an interesting idea of working the last 3miles round the parkrun locally.

I was slightly perturbed as got to bed quite late (by my standards) due to the England game last night. Fuelling wasn't exactly spot on, and getting up at 6.45 on a Saturday didn't feel gorgeous either as it's generally my one lie in day of the week.

Anyway, the plan was out the door 7.50ish, get the easy and steady bits in, couple of MPs and then hit the parkrun  a few mins after it had started, and then enjoy some overtaking to make the 3miles feel easier than a solo run.

Didn't quite pan out that way, as I forgot these parkruns never start on time as some guy always has to give a little speech. Therefore, I was wasting time at the end of the park into the wind on grass trying to time my arrival, and the MP slipped slightly off zone for the 2nd mile.

Then covered the first km of the parkrun as my MP mile 3, but realised that zig zagging on and off grass, round tonnes of people, into wind was not the glorious run I'd envisaged.

Couldn't bear having to do another 2.5miles like that, so headed back to the main path, and finished MP mile 3 slightly too slow.

Then, as per Simon style (and Stevie G style circa 2 years ago), my stomach combusted.

I was 11miles in, 3miles of MP covered, and it would have been super easy to quit it there, but I carried on vaguely thinking I'd do 1/2m MP, and 1/2m HMP to finish.

In the end I just did the next mile as MP, on target, and thought i'll have one burst to see if there's HMP available, but due to a mixture of the route ahead,   not having the legs, not having the will and not seeing the point in trying to force a last mile I ended it there.

If I had to do this session again, I'd do the last 5miles round my 0.9mile loop instead. So much easier to pace on that.

However, still a 13miler all in, and we are still only 6 days on from a half marathon, so not the end of the world.

In for another 20-30mins then off to a Wycombe away game, hence the early start.

looking forward to a lot of sitting down now..and a mere 3miler tomorrow!

• Options

SG: didn't see you at all at parkrun: you should have come over and exchanged banter as per normal. The long run form yesterday was still in my legs but only 30 seconds slower than last week so I'll take that. Odd thing with a 10 mile race on Good Friday (Maidenhead 10) and I am doing no fast reps: I'd normally do a few sub-6 sessions so 6:10 to 6:15 pace feels easy but will have to rely on endurance to get me through.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Some good efforts going on there. I thought SG's story was going to end with a Parkrun PB so I was disappointed. Tasty treadmill Dean, shame about the poor taste in football.

Dachs, 16.37 is pretty dire, age seems to be catching up with us all.

Post interview I did a 9 miler, hamstring tightened up but I was able to finish it, albeit it at a slower pace. Two hours later I was in the pool and being forced against my will into the fast lane. I was shagged out after that, trying to keep up, which I didn't.

40 miles on the bike this morning, thankfully missed a lot of the wind. Plan is to do long run tomorrow but we'll see. I've already clocked up 10.5 hrs this week, in what should be an easier week post RHM.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Eh? According to my Garmin, parkrun started dead on 9 this morning SG?

Last minute decison to do it this morning - up at 8.10, out the door 8.30!

OK time for 3rd today, in 18:21, but didn't feel quite on top - it was slightly humid and I think I have some form of underlying lurgy, as I couldn't quite seem to breathe properly.

Frustrating day - went out to by a new PC, but no one had the one I wanted in stock or the monitor I wanted to see before buying online, so wasted a whole morning. Needed to get a new gear cable for my bike as it snapped yesterday, but cam out of Halfords to find some f****r had taken out half a door and the rear panel on my car with their shite parking and driven off! Thanks pal!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, get the CTV on to the case. I nailed some 'fail to stop' and they got a six month ban and a £700 bill.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Checked that, but unfortunately no CCTV there - probably the only place in the UK there isn't!! Good idea though.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds bad bus, really bad dents?

Another good win for Wycombe and this should be a quick coach home.

Footy season boiling to a big finish then a nice 3month or so breather!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nothing disastrous, but some scraping, couple of dents and a bit of lost paint - it's the impact on the selling price that pees me off, as we are thinking of trading it in!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Bus - Are you sure it wasn't a dog?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Chips away are decent! Especially if there's paint impact
  • Options
    Good tempo and 600m reps Dean + Simon

Dachs I agree with the recovery approach. You did run a 73 HM last week and you can't force a quick parkrun that quick imo

Good luck IC at the duathlon, still on my bucket list

Bus - had same issue a while back, never caught them and cost me 250 for new

front wing, labour new tyre etc.. Car was only worth a grand or so too.

Nice bike miles and weekly volume AG and congrats on job offer

SG - another day another session will work for you! I've had a 'few change of session plans at last minute things' the last few weeks and just put it behind me

Southern relays for me tomorrow. Have had shin splints return since last Saturday but being careful. On the last leg (short) so running late afternoon - driving up from the Isle of Wight. Missions
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    It appears I ran a short leg of the northern relays today despite being in the Trafford centre 30 miles away at the time?
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Well done Matt!
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow Iron, is it the Barnes one? I was going to do it but I have to take the little one swimming.