Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Well run Mrs PP (and PP!).

It's a cracking day here, 1hr easy run on my normal loop, but reverse direction. I should have headed off road given the opportunity.

Nice view Bus.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Bus - The worst of it was trying to get the wrapper off my Kendal mint cake.  Ugh!

Dean - My race calendar is almost strategic in its periodisation now, for the next few months.  I've got the Ranelagh Richmond Half Marathon the week after London (2:59 pacing) as my final target race before a holiday, then I'm hitting shorter stuff for May/June/July before focussing back on training for Berlin - still getting through the Summer calendar of races for August/early September but training through whilst getting the mileage back up.  Mostly 5k, 5,000m, local road race league, etc. but maybe fitting in something shorter. I'd happily have a go at my 3,000m pb if I can find a good race, although I'm pretty sure you (and Simon) would thrash me over such a sprint!  I'm targeting the BMAF 5,000m champs in July as a convenient time after which to start getting my head back into marathon mode.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cracking time and report PP. Always good to see faster and older runners, with years of racing behind them still crack the pbs out! Good motivation!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

230miles of driving yesterday, but felt red hot on my 7m MP run today.

Did it round my nice loop, and best one ever, averaged 5.55.

(5.55, 6.00, 6.01, 5.53,5.54,5.50,5.51,)

It just naturally seeming to ramp up from midway onwards.

Having done the Reading half at 5.53 average, it makes it look like I'm the type of hardcore runner who can do 7miles HMP continuously!

But I'm not, so that should be a positive, that there's time to come off that 77.03, and get nearer to that outlying 75.41.

Busy old day after that, ferrying a pal to a hospital, waiting around for ages, then some other errands. Not the stuff holidays are made of image

• Options

PP, much better and gurnless photos on flickr. Good running by both you and MsPP and quite a distance form Kent on a wet morning too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/petercookspictures/sets/72157651727142971/

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7627/17020509341_b2896f34e4_o.jpg

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

If ever there's an analysis by a scientist rather than someone who knows footy this is it!

Yes Bury have on paper a tougher run, but they are the form team of the division, 7 wins out of the last 8, have a much bigger squad, have a much bigger budget.
    Wycombe have won 1 in 7 at home, are getting by with a core of about 16 players, play Burton the league leaders away, and a couple of teams we never turn over.

Lose tomorrow, and Bury win, and it's 1 point lead, with Bury a game in hand, so it really is all nip and tuck. Exciting though

So back to paper. Wycombe lost but Bury also lost. Southend won so come into the window.

Wycombe 74 from 41 games
    Bury 70 from 40 games
    Southend 69 from 40 games

The game in hand is the water logged game between them so they both can't win it. 46 games to play in the league and Wycombe have the best goal difference so they need 12 points to ensure automatic promotion but less will probably be OK.

Bury have 3 games left against the top 7 teams in the league (2nd, 5th and 7th) but Wycombe 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and bottom.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it was near miraculous Bury managed to lose at home to "On the beach" Morecambe. Just shows this division is dog eat dog.

Bury have some tough games, but even our game against the bottom team needs background. We've won 1 in 7 at home, and they have a new manager. New managers usually oversee at least some kind of brief upturn.

Fingers crossed not though! Boiling to a huge end of season, the fb moaning about allocation for our big away game at Wimbledon (game 44/46) is getting tedious 1 day in.

2500 season ticket holders, 850 ish tickets. season ticket holders get first dibs funnily enough, yet some moan that's not fair. I'm wondering how.

• Options

Good snap PP and a cracking race report. On periodisation, do you find the transition from 5K in July to marathon in October an easy turn around? I'm hoping to do an October marathon but, like you, want to spend the summer whizzing around the track.

3.75 AM recovery run

8 x 400 (1min rec) @1500. Came out as: 76, 75, 74, 75, 75, 76, 75, 72. So inside my target pace of 76-78. Was a shock to the system!

SG - if you can crank out 7 miles at the pace you ran reading I'd bet my wage that you've obviously moved on fitness wise. If you ran 7 miles at true HMP it'd be horrendous I'd imagine. Having said that, one of the guys at my club who is a 32 low 10K man does 8 mile HM pace runs every 2 weeks or so! He's a monster though!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Certainly tasty enough reps there S man. I find 400s are impossible to keep to the pace you aim for, so not surprised you exceeded your targetl! 600s and up I find are a lot easier to keep down!

Agree with you, I think 7miles HMP would be a horrendous slog, if not impossible for all but the likes of the real hardcore. I've done 2x3m, 3x2m and 4miles continuous before at the HM zone, but 7 would be too hard.

I think with the last half year of basically a relay where there was no one anywhere near me, and a parkrun, I've lost a bit of that racing eye of the tiger.

The XC was a horrible return, felt like death, Wokingham felt "safe", as I sat behind someone for half of it, and Reading was just getting more into it.

When you're properly race sharp, you find that you're willing to push past people, rather than cautiously sit.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice photo PP - looking very lean and mean!

SG - cracking HMP session! You need anothe HM soon to take advantage...

Stevie See - wow, those are VERY sharp 400s!

Home tomorrow image

• Options
    Gutted for you Bus. Do you have a day acclimatisaton before heading back to work?

SG - I've found it only takes one session or race to suprise you. Racing regularly helps me, gives everything a purpose. One thing about tonight's session, yes I was moving alright but bloody hell the thought of a 1500 race... *shudder*
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

commiserations Bus, I'll have a nice lay in for you! image

True say SS, I've had a couple of sessions recently that haven't gone ideal, either through too fast a first rep, excessive track windiness,  or through just being knackered off too short recovery. (midnight/7am session mix).

However, the 6miles 6.25 pace to finish the 12 the day after the Manchester and back drive, and this after a 230mile drive have massively helped. So it's all full steam ahead.

10miles easy tomorrow.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I can just imagine how a 1500 would be if you monstered the first lap.

Pure misery!

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Nice photo PP - looking very lean and mean!

Actually be cautious if you view at full zoom, those shorts don't hide much.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Nice report PP, Mrs PP is pretty rapid too!

Cracking run SG, looks like a real step up. Nice 400's SS.

Just a 6.5m tonight @7.03. The real story was my first day back at work. What a miserable existence, waiting half an hour for a delayed train. Signal failure, which I think is code for some stock broker has jumped on the line.Time to buy another bike to cycle to work.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

PMJ - Thanks for the link.  Some great shots there. BTW, we only had to travel over from SE London, piece of cake on a Good Friday morning. But it is an old club, so Lewisham was Kent in Victorian times!  image

Stevie See - Nice reps, obviously something left in the tank for the faster final one. That always nice.  Regarding Autumn marathon prep last year I took a very ad hoc approach of training/racing over the Summer as per normal, but adding on some mileage here and there as things progressed towards end of the season in the hope that it would get me into marathon shape, and it seemed to work. By 5-6 weeks out from the marathon I'd posted my best short distance times so was happy to train through a bit more for the rest.

Previous Winter/Spring marathon schedules would have focused on standard LR (easy pace and some progressive/MP added), mid-length MP runs in the week, and long intervals.  What I missed out of this over the Summer were the mid-week MP runs, because I was either doing short races or additional intervals.  But I compensated by adding shorter MP sections to interval work-outs, e.g. 3 @ MP on the track (e.g. 8 laps @ 5:50) followed by the standard training group intervals (e.g. 8 x 800).  With an additional easy run at lunchtime, I was getting the miles in, and finishing the day pretty spent.  Similar for Tuesday and Thursday. But as I got used to the routine I found recovery was getting quicker, so I could still manage a good 5k as long as I ran easy the day before.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Also, I kept in touch with the endurance end of things by doing at least one 20 miler every month, all through the Summer, with standard LR of 16-18 miles maybe 3 out of 4 weeks. For June/July/August these included progressive LRs building from 5/5/5 miles to 8/8/8 miles @ easy/MP+30s/MP sections. That last one was a bugger, but gave me a lot of confidence!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Lit, This year it looks like the ladies do 2 long legs followed by 4 short legs.

Then back onto a road section before a turn right and a nasty pull back up to the handover when you are feeling tired and yet everyone is shouting at you.

Thanks! Running uphill when you are tired and everyone is shouting at you sounds depressingly familiar from cross country relays. And yes, odd arrangement this year with both long legs first and then four short legs. I would much rather do a short leg at this stage before VMLM but it is controversial as, on paper, I am my team's second-fastest runner over longer distances. We have one fast long-distance runner and one speedy junior for the last short leg.

PhilP - MsP's progress is astonishing! Not that I'm jealous or anything.

• Options

Cheers PP, very helpful. I see my summer going something similar, 8/8/8 long run... think I'll leave that one out though imageimage

Off for a 10-12 miler in the sun later, ahhh bliss!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

(oops, slight error above... 3M = 12 laps.  Anyway... image )

literatin wrote (see)
    PhilP - MsP's progress is astonishing! Not that I'm jealous or anything.

I know!  I knew I had to up the training when she was catching me up in a XC race in December and said she could see my shorts!  image

See you Birmingham, I'm on leg 6 for our A team.  A promotion from the Southerns!

Stevie - No worries.  Slight artistic licence with the 8/8/8, it was more 5(easy)/8/8/3(hobble).  Did the trick though!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

surprised Phil hasn't been on to point out each track mile needs an extra 9metres.

Hell of a chiselled arm by the way Phil. My word.

As for me, first shirtless run of 2015 today, lovely weather. 10miles, sub 7, standard.

Done until Friday now.

• Options

90 minutes in the sun this morning on the bike, followed by a 3km brick run at steady pace (HM apparently) around one of the lakes. Cycled to a local country park and dumped the bike in the car that the Mrs had parked.

Vast amount of people and dogs wandering around not looking where they were going. 3km came out at 4:10/km average and I felt like I could have gone a hell of a lot harder. Speed is returning at last.

Spent the rest of the day with the family at the park and had a picnic. Back to work tomorrow morning then a trip to Bike Park Wales in the afternoon.

I caught the sun today. The only positive to come out of this is I had my hair cut yesterday so no embarrassing tan lines.

Looking forward to F-Off.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

surprised Phil hasn't been on to point out each track mile needs an extra 9metres.

1609.344 metres to a mile. I'm out for 1,600 m reps tomorrow lunchtime.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ah the dreaded 1600/mile reps. What intensity at though?

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Nice work Iron.

We had dreaded pyramids at the track tonight 2,4,6,8,1k,8,6,4,2. All with 100m recovery run/jog. 

Supposed to be at 10k pace but I think I went a bit faster. I did the first 600 as 500 by mistake, so threw in an extra 200m at the end.

40,1.20, 1.40, 2.45, 3.29, 2.47, 2.06, 1.20, 36, 33

Actually felt quite strong, despite not feeling fresh. The 200 at the end felt really good, actually made me realise there's another couple of gears. I fancy doing some proper speed on the track now.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I am wondering if I also did 1.1k rather than 1k in the middle. I can't keep count when I do this cr*p!

• Options

Nice 12 mile progression run tonight:

6 miles easy @avg 7:00, then last 6 were: 6:48, 6:16, 6:20, 6:19, 6:10, 5:40.

Finished on an nice avg of 6:38 for the run!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

I can just imagine how a 1500 would be if you monstered the first lap.

Pure misery!

in my mile pb last summer i went through the first 409m in about 62 secs or so.  the next 2 laps were miserable and painful before a bit of a rally on the final lap to get a pb.  i hope not to make that mistake again.  slowly slowly catchy monkey

lots of good training going on above...i got out of work late yesterday so missed a rare warm night at the track but did 6*1k on my treadmill.  3min reps with 2min rec.

Looks like my team can only get 10 out for the national relays so looks like we will be a no show.  poor effort really but team has lots of other commitments/clashes

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Sounds like Johnas is in cracking form, hopefully that long awaited sub 2:40 is in the bag this time around.

Nice reps AG and very handy progression run from SS

Must be frustrating to go up north for a parkrun Bus and still lose out to a Reading runner. Sounds a great holiday anyway.

PP's run is, of course, stunning, but I've already told him that, and we can't let him get too big a head or he will take himself seriously and start wearing even shorter shorts.

After 3 days off over easter (and only short easy runs for 4 days preceding that), this week sees me start 10k specific training. Plan last night was 6 x 1 mile at target pace on the track. And yes PMJ, I started on the curvy mile startline. Not really sure what target pace is, but PB pace is 5:14, so 5:12 seems as good as any. Did 5 in 5:10, 5:10, 5:12, 5:09, 5:13. However, legs stiffened up a lot on the last rep, and I had to fight to keep it on pace, so didn't feel adding a 6th would have really been of any benefit. 5m at 5:11 average is decent enough, considering I've been doing my sessions more at HM/10m pace recently.

Very stiff 4m easy this morning.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

some good training going on. Stevie, that looks a tidy run indeed, especially ending at  5.40.

Dean, remembering what a 60second 400 felt like from a few years ago, the idea of another 3 laps and 9metres from that would be a sickener. Although obviously for you 60secs wouldn't be flat out!

Dachs, 5x1mile at 10k, or 8x1km is what I'd describe as a peaking session, so for you to casually cruise the former off so comfortably, and faster than pb pace is incredible scenes. I bet the recoveries weren't even that long either, 90secs?

I remember Moraghan ages back saying how the two basic things that define your running career are top speed, and ability to keep top speed. I wonder how quick you could do a flat out mile? I don't want to guess, but I'm sure you have an epic ability to keep pretty close to your top speed!

AG - welcome back to the world of work. I ironically type when I'm sat in my pants midway through a week off on a rest day meaning I'm doing absolutely zero image. Hope that train scenario was just a horribly typical welcome back, and that things ease now.

The session? Quite nice work. I remember those pyramid classics. And not being able to wait until you were over the hump, and looking forward to the short reps again!