Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

25th August Max - have a look at the website ( sorry cant do links)  Trev who runs it is very well known to some of the Pirates and is a top guy.  I just like the look of the grass roots feel of it - seems like tri probably was before the IM train arrived!  Also its one of those events where we use it or probably lose it.  TC does a good write up of it over on tritalk.

• Options
    Looks good will try and tempt Bruv and the Cornish crew for this one
  • Options

Great racing WW and Joddly.

Impressive training for you Welshies.

I am in post event limbo. Have now managed a couple of runs and a spin on the bike. Any advice on a maintenance program?

• Options
    MT Yep its called the Little Woody image
  • Options

Feeling very ropey today following a long swim at Salford Quays last night. It's not Salford's fault.... no slur on the water quality. I just ought not to have drunk quite so much of it! I've been the Mucus Monster ever since, which resulted in a very bad night's kip. Somebody recommended me Beconaise, I think, a while ago. I'll have to follow that up. Anyway - a 4km splosh done, which feels good. "Filler" day today before an early morning brick tomorrow. I shall implement some of the tips from my new mentor for faster trotting. So....  other than having trashed my bike, it's all going OK so far image.

• Options

Massive well done to Joddly & WWimage

Good swimming STIL image. My last trip to Salford Quays , involved lots of ship canal water followed by a cheese buttie in the car on the way home,  ended with a very gurgly stomachimage, so I can sympathise.

Iron Muffin wrote (see)

I am in post event limbo. Have now managed a couple of runs and a spin on the bike. Any advice on a maintenance program?

Me too! I don't want to loose the hard earned fitness. I'm not sure how much to do at the moment.

Events wise, all I've got planned so far is a sprint in August and an Olympic distance in September.

Any advice would be welcome image

• Options

/members/images/280734/Gallery/Rw_DSCF1394.jpg

/members/images/280734/Gallery/RWCopy_of_DSCF1391.jpg

Big Woody swim last year Fantastic venue and water quality. Not only could see the swimmer in front you could see the swimmer in front of them.

• Options
  • Options
    joddly wrote (see)

Well done, WW - and it sounds like you had a great time there image.

Sorry to hear about your ride on Sunday, STIL, though the TdF session today sounds a bit serious!

Rest day for me, as I'm recovering from Cowman yesterday. It was completely un-Piratey as far as I could see, until an incognito Plum revealed himself to me (as it were image) out on the bike - great to meet you, Plum!

I didn't enjoy the race that much, perhaps partly because it came after the great Outlaw weekend, though nothing really went wrong. 

Swim - really busy and lots of biff until the second buoy, never getting into a rhythm until the second (of two) laps. Thought my time of 40 mins was OK though, until I saw that most people were 35 mins or below!

T1 was was wobbly as transition was a quagmire.

Bike was the most enjoyable bit. We had very little rain, light winds, and the course took me along roads I used to run on years ago. Legs were burning quite early, for a relatively low speed, but I put that down to the after-effects of the Outlaw bike last week. Pirate kit brought out a few cheers of support. 57 miles in 3.02.

Run was short, rerouted because of the wet ground. Since I was fading by the last third, it may have been a good thing.11.85 miles in 1.35. There was a slightly uphill out & back loop, and seeing people appear to fly back down was quite encouraging!

Only 2 fast people showed up in my age category, so I fluked a third and actually stood on an actual podium, actuallyimage

So, no more racing now until IMW - just steady training and a bit of volunteering for a few Big Events before then...

top effort Joddly! nice podium too image

• Options

Yep someone said it was like looking down a mini Grand Canyon. it is impressive when you walk to the edge.

/members/images/280734/Gallery/RW_Copy_of_DSCF1389.jpg

• Options
    bburn plO.dder wrote (see)

Events wise, all I've got planned so far is a sprint in August and an Olympic distance in September.

Any advice would be welcome image

Chuck there are a few middle distance races your neck of the woods in the lake district if you fancy one of them with it a google. If you want to go further a field a few folks are signed up for the wild boar 2nd sept down south now. I'm going to do it as a conserlation race. http://www.fullboarevents.com/index.asp?pageid=280976

• Options
    Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    Looks good will try and tempt Bruv and the Cornish crew for this one

NO NO and again NO........ No more lakes, sea , pools or bath tubs!! After Outlaw I officially hate swimming.

Seriously though, sons birthday that week and will not gest past him or OH for another weekend away................................................yet!!!

• Options

I didn't really have a lay off, and as I have been eating continuously for over a week I had to do something.  I have dropped the mid week bike sessions for now, added my running back in and kept up with the OW swimming.  The weekend long bike and long run will stay.

First continuous long run for over 8 weeks tonight, a 9 miler which I was delighted with.  No achilles or calf issues so that's kick started my training for a local marathon next Saturday image.  I have another 9 miler programmed for Friday morning and then start my week long taper image

• Options
    Sounds like you are back in track with the running VT'd, glad to hear the Achilles is holding up
  • Options

Nice work VTD. Back on the horse... if not back on the bike.

Jeez - that quarry for The Woody looks inviting, doesn't it? Is that Forest of Dean way? (Why am i asking.... i have no idea where the FofD is.... Gloucester??.... and there's no room for more races in my summer). Do fancy that event though.

6 miles threshold for me last night. Focused on high cadence, after reading that it's the best way to improve long-distance speed for endurance stuff. By all accounts, almost all top aths have 180 cadence and us donuts can get there too... even if we can't easily match their stride length. I've increased mine to 176 and i'm moving quicker and with better economy.... and with less niggles in my calves, so all good.

18M turbo at sparrows this morning and a run with Muffin at lunch. Might sneak back onto the turbo tonight to watch The Tour on ITV4 which should give me a 3-hour Thursday. I'd like that image!

• Options

Thanks STIL, I'm interested in your high cadence comments.  I shortened my stride a few months ago with a resultant higher cadence, and it felt natural and quicker.  But my injury relegated me back to plod.  I'm wanting to gain some speed back, but am wanting to know if your HR goes through the roof with your higher cadence.  I'm expecting that mine will.

• Options

Pulse didn't go nuts, tbh. It started to drift after 5 miles or so, but I was moving quickly for me. Next run I'll try to stick with the cadence and bring down the pace, just to see how it feels sunning slow at 176-180. Anyway.... here's the article that got me working on it;

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2012/07/06/make-a-high-stride-rate-work-for-you/

• Options

Well done on your PB WW!

I had a very hard day at the office at Roth on Sunday. I was still really suffering the aftereffects of my various ailments and struggled all day to keep my HR under control and get enough oxygen in image

Swim: I was so, so slow - even when below par I'd expect to get out the water in 70 minutes or less, but my chest was so tight I couldn't breathe properly, and it took me over 80 minutes, as I had to stop for a restorative float a few times!

I was knackered when I got out of the water and found the first loop of the bike hard going - it was pretty windy. Second loop was easier and I loved the whole hearted roadside support - really remarkable, Off the bike in 7h 20something, which isn't great, but OKish.

I felt heinous going in to the run, my muscles were really protesting the lack of oxygen and the work I was asking them to do, and I only managed to run the first 10k before the wheels irrevocably came off! I powerwalked the remaining 32K image But every time I tried to run, my chest just exploded with pain.

All in all, I shambled home in 15.45, (a personal worst by 1 and a half hours image) which considering I didn't even think I'd make it through the swim I will take happily image

A much, much more painful experience than any race I've ever done, but also a good lesson in never understimating your own limits. I'm glad I did it.

• Options

PuP..... ouch!!! That sounds like it was bloody awful. Well done on sticking at it and forcing yourself through the pain. Some of these race reports read like war stories!

• Options

Well Done PuP, bearing in mind your ailments this year, that's a fantastic result.

Sounds like you really had to dig deep, so massive respect to you

• Options
    Great reports everyone, well the post ironman lurg seems to have caught up with me sitting on the train home shivering and sweating? With my stomach doing sometsaults feeling pretty sll round bleuugh image home and bed methinks
  • Options

I think this thread needs sanitising !!   image

• Options

I guess I'm risking it posting on this thread with IMUK looming.

STIL The Big / Little Woody swim is at the National Dive centre near Chepstow.

http://www.ndac.co.uk/

Well toughed out PuP

Pass me the anibactira wipes please.

• Options
    Aaaaaaahhhhhhc ccc hhhhhhhooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Weary this morning. Three sessions yesterday, so I'm glad today is an easy one; just a swim, which I'll do in the outdoor pool in the rain to keep me awake. Tomorrow and Sunday both key sessions before next Saturday's race, so I'm reckoning it's better to have a low-key swim and save my beans for bigger things to come. Solid logic???

• Options

Having a good week so far this week. Got a 4km ow swim in on Tuesday and trotted out 16 miles today in 2:36, which is good for me. Kept cadence at 176, which is keeping me nice n tight on mid/forefoot. Overall 10 hours so far, before tomorrow's ride, which is scheduled to be 90 hilly miles on a recce for the Eirias half next week. Picked out one of Gary Fegan's swim workouts last night, which was very similar to some of MuffinTop's; 200m warm-up, then 18 x 100 with 10s rest. Worked well for me and I'll do it longer next time when I don't have to get the shopping in! Hopefully 16hrs of quality stuff this week image.

• Options

what intensity are the 100's done at?

• Options

Looks like it's all coming together Slower.

Managed 22 miles on the bike today. Went a bit silly at one point and was trying to push some speed then remembered I'm supposed to still be in recovery mode. Club run tomorrow - I'm ready to get back in to running. Swimming not so much.

• Options

Have to admit that they were a little less intense than I do with MT. I was on my own last night so I was doing them in 2:00 +10s rest (with pull buoy). Muffin has me doing them on 2:00 including any rest. I felt a little guilty about that, but it was only supposed to be a filler workout.

You swimming well, Melds???