Options

Wed 2nd Jan 2008

2»

Comments

• Options
    sam - i've suffered IBS since i was 19 so have lots of sympathy.  its only been this year that i've finally managed to get it under control - suggesting again that it has been significantly stress related.  i hope you manage to get a diagnosis and a plan for getting on the road to recovery.  good luck with the dissertation.  i start a masters course in a few weeks.  the bits for my first assignment have just arrived so i'm getting back to studying again.
  • Options

Afternoon.

Well AF that really is some acheivement....you do deserve such rewards though..you are so dedicated ..glad to seem to have your mojo back..I rememeber you wernt too happy last week...glad it has sorted itself out...and that you are back on track..

Sharkie...take care and be sensible for a couple of days...I know I ALWAYS feel the odd niggle after just ONE track session let alone the amount you do..and look like you dont have to worry about your weight..you are TINY !!!...(makes me feel like a flipping cart horse )....image..but wont get into the weight thing...it has taken me years to accept I am not ever going to be petite !!image..

Iron mel take care ..I didnt realise you had hurt your back..I hope you feel better soon and achieve your goals for this year...

I am really pleased with todays run..I wasnt sure if Mondays 20 miler was out of my legs...and it is a bit on the windy side here..but did a nice undulating....9 miler.....

What: 9 miles inc 10 x 100 metre strides....in 71 mins 7.53 min miling...

Why: scheduled general aerobic and speed

• Options
     Ultra AJH...you run in shorts THIS time of year ??
  • Options
    NN - you mean there are other, non-shorts, options?
  • Options
    BRRRRR!!!...rather you than me....although I would probabaly race in shorts this time of year !!
  • Options
    Hi there and HAPPY NEW YEAR

Just back from an excellent New Year on Cornwall - we went running every morning along the coast path which was A1 fab.

Marmite - huge congratulations on that mega PB a few days back
    TMR - that is some long run, well done

The week for me has been :-

Sunday:- 23 miles - coast path and roads, forgot to drink enough on route
    Monday:- 5.8 miles + 20 mile cycle
    Tuesday:- 4.5 miles 7:30am sober up run having ended the partying at 3am ish
    Wednesday :- 5.8 miles

So now time to start the taper before the Jan 19th Thames Path Ultra which is making me nervous - my first one and 50 miles suddenly seems a very long way. Any taper tips welcome.

2007 was an epic running year for me with the North Pole Marathon and Chele La Himalayan marathon with the associated training in strange places like north of the Arctic circle in Sweden .... and the Welsh hills. I got a new half marathon PB on the way (1:24:55), and came close to my 10 k PB as well. I'm not sure of the mileage as I stopped my log in April, but 2000 is about right. These events are opening my eyes to a whole new spectrum of possibilities - there is something about running in the middle of nowhere with stunning views all around just enjoying the journey, and at some point reaching the finish.

New year's resolution - restart my running log and get my swimming and biking up to scratch to at least complete a full distance Tri.
  • Options
    • what: 11 miles/pm gym session
    • Why: Schedule

First day back after New year busy day
    The winds are so cold and blew me all about the place hope the promised snow does not happen and it gets a wee bit warmer.

Been out of my shorts since Last week in November will race in them but not for training i like my muscles kept warmimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

9 miles done at calorie burning speed. I did however out a bit of a pace on for the first mile to get the blood flowing. Once heart was ticking I kept it easy to avoid getting the clothes damp.

Ronhill tracksters for me, although it was almost chilly enough to wear baggy shorts over the top.
    Long sleeved top with windcheater top over it.
    And a bobble hat.
    And gloves.

Welcome to our newest arrivals.

• Options

hmm. Well I don't like those tight things. I have a pair, and well, yes I suppose they are ok. But I prefer shorts. As long as my hands are toastie then I am ok.

I don;t know why I am posting here. I've not done anything to report other than eat. Which is quite normal for the time of year. However eating is now stopping.

A bit of cross training and some more tomorrow no doubt. A cortisone injection in 3 weeks time, I hope. And then we'll see.

But I do want to warn you all about those Wii things as I am a kind and caring person. Beware of them. They can attack things and cause one to take out and smash light fittings, as Mr Scoobs discovered today. He was playing tennis with teenage scoobs. We were both back to work today, but Mr Scoobs is fortunate in finishing his day much earlier than I do. He thought he would use this time to practice his tennis skills.......

Unfortunately teenage scoobs was thrashing him. So he said in retaliation ''watch this''. He then proceeded to leap into the air in a - err- rather dramatic fashion I am told, launch his serve and swing his arm with his controller in his hand, high high above his head. His plan was to do the most amazing serve ever that teenage scoobs would not even be able to see, let alone return.

In reality he hit the light fitment full on, launched 2 of the casings into the air like missiles. They missed teenage scoobs and lauched themselves onto the wall where a piece of glass stuck itself into the wall like the arrow off of Robin Hood.

When I arrived home. the front room was immaculate, Mr Scoobs was looking sheepish and started the conversation by saying, ''I've had a little accident''

So to those with Wii's - beware of the Wii, it has hidden talents.

Toodle pip.

• Options

Evening,

Same dress code as Blisters for me and a good choice of a 3 lap loop where the downhill bit was into the freezing wind so.....

What: 6.4 miles with the last loop a bit quicker than the first 2 loops

Why: Base training

Last rest: Saturday I think (have I really had that much to drink??)

Watch out for the nation wide grid lock tomorrow as the country grinds to a halt under a centimeter of snow  image

• Options

Soda

You are so right...yippee will be sent home from work early incase we get snowed in;-)...i live the quickest route 2.5 miles from work!image

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Evening all

Sorry to hear about your mum RFJ, my thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

Blisters: well done on the course PB.

Gobi: well raced

Scoobs: LOL. I still want a Wii though (I think it will be my present to myself when I finish my PhD...)

FL: does that mean you aren't doing yorkshires then? 

My 2007 high point was my 34.58 10k PB at Bolsover, while the biggest downer was losing 10 weeks through injury

Aims for 2008
    1 - Stay as fit and healthy as possible
    2 - Enjoy whatever I'm doing
    3 - Sub 80 HM, Sub 5 mile, Get on the aw rankings list for 10k or 5 mile (Or better still, both).

What: 8m at a pace sufficient to keep warm
    Why: Winter has arrived

• Options

Scooby - I sort of did the same thing to our bedroom wall lap shade with a bestest backhand ever.

Soda Jnr didn't stop laughing for an hour.

• Options

AF just a small thing to almost forget  image Brilliant.  I hope whatever has cropped out to put FLM in doubt doesn't prove so serious

sharkie, not nearly as hard as 13 or 14 image

kenobi, the moving sounds as if it might be exciting ?

IM, from what you say, sounds to me as though you back was tight to start with, perhaps from training or sitting at desk, then you pulled some muscle fibres.  I'm impresed with the efficiency of the US medical system, but maybe a little deep tissue massage would have sorted it quicker and without resort to several drugs.

Sam, I've urgently got to finish doing the same for HM R & C, buut first time round to get to accountant tomorrow or Friday. I wonder what else I can find to do to put it off ?  Its the thing I hate most, and stresses me most in the whole world.image

Pammie, and all Garmin users, sounds like a cautionary tale is needed.  The memory on my Polar 625X is small, only 14hrs-worth, so I download and delete after almost every run, but I know the Garmin memory is pretty massive, so the inclination would be not to bother to delete it, though I was talking to a mate a few days ago, who said his Garmin said 'memory full' half way through FLM, and so he ended up with no data from it.  Lesson: don't let it get so full that it might get stroppy with you at important moments

What: 14ml
    Why: midweek medium long miles

• Options

SL2 - I don't know about the Yorkshire XC now; I've had the Christmas flu and got a chesty cough from it that doesn't seem to be getting better (i was coughing a lot during my 6.5M run today, even though I was taking it very steady), so don't want to exacerbate the chest, especially as I'm an asthma sufferer. My HR was higher than a usual trot pace today also.

I'll see how I feel over the next two days and I'll either:
    a) run it as a training run;
    b) race it; or
    c) not do it      (I've put my name down to do the Northerns and National XC anyway)
    I'd like to do it as it's a good experience, but don't want to get ill again just for the sake of it.

I like your aims for 2008, Stuart, especially the first 2. That's what I'm aiming to do so I can make this marathon attempt idea a possibility. As long as I remember to cross-train and do pilates, I should be OK.

• Options

NN
    You're getting a bit quick!  Will be good to see how all this training pays off in your next race.

Scooby
    Loved the Wii story, we are similarly equipped...

Chilly club run this evening -

What:  8.3 miles; 1:06; pace 8:00; HR144 (77% of HRmax)
    Why:  Meant to be 7 miles  MP, so a bit slow & a bit long
    Last hard:  1 day
    Last rest:  Last year

5 miles easy scheduled for tomorrow.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    AF.. I am guessing from a previous post, is it your knees that are giving you some discomfort? Hope things get back on track for you.

Scoobs.. a fine tale for the new year!

Stuart.. are you aiming for 1:20 at the Brass Monkey?

12.5 miles run home from work, 4 miles in the middle at tempo pace - Av: 6.35 per mile.

• Options

All this end of year and data stuff has had me perusing the Athletics Data rankings. I need to find another 4 seconds per mile at most distances. Do-able. So there's a challenge for 2008, to appear on some statistician's ranking chart. Somewhere.

To think that tennis players can only be ranked comparitively against the current crop. It is our fate to have chosen a sport where we can be objectively seen against athletes long past their prime.

Is Serena Williams better than Billy Jean King was? Who will know.
    Is Paula faster than Ingrid Kristiansen? Of course.

Thanks for the prompts I remembered that I nearly got the lyrics wrong. Boomtown Rats of course, but it was not I don't Like Mondays, it was Rat Trap. Yes I did start the thread.