Options

WELSH RUNNERS!!!

Comments

• Options
    I breast stroke as well, with my head above water wearing my glasses, as I am blind without them... and it is only 300 mteres swim! It was great fun last year, that is why nam and I are back image I did it off no training as well, actually, that was the only time I swam in years image
  • Options
    Oh and Pizzaman, there were loads of breast strokers last year image
  • Options
    I'll go see the "management" and see if I can get a day pass.
  • Options
    I will try and get a day pass too. Where is it exactly? Distance from Pembrokeshire? I will try the novice event. I too will prob resort to the old frog leg stroke. Bike should be ok and the run will be fine........he says lol
  • Options

Well, I've only just learnt to do front crawl  - MAJOR achievement as I'm real swim numpty - and everyone else's breaststroke is faster than mine anyway...........oh, and I tend to fall off bikes too ......can I push it up the hilly bits??image   Do quite fancy it though........

Seren nos - Well done! that's fantastic - can't imagine swimming that distance and then running and biking too - you must feel  great having completed it!

Matt - my geography isn't great and I'm sure someone here will know better, but I reckon you're about 60 odd miles away ?

• Options
    Plod_Jones wrote (see)
    *runs away and hides*
    You can run but you can't hide!! image
  • Options

I've only just learned to front crawl myself.  I breast stroked it last year as did many others.  This year I'd like to be able to FC the lot.  I've done it in training no problems, but race nerves can make me wibbly... image

Go on folks, the more the merrier.

I also have spare pirate kit!  image

• Options

Anyone fancies a little fell race that finishes in Herefordshire but starts in Wales????

It is on Saturday and very beginner friendly: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewracedetails.php?id=20083

• Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Or how about this little cracking race, in the village where we used to live and which my wife helps out on (and which got me into this running lark!):

www.rasfawrllanddoged.co.uk

• Options

They both look great, but unfortunatley I won't be able to do either.

I like the smaller events. There is something about them, I don't know what it is.

Still working on the Cymmer tri. Is it the Cymmer near Pontypridd?

• Options

It's by Port Talbot I think PM.  image

Afan Forest Park is 6 miles off M4 J40. 

directions

• Options

By the seaside image

Matt, did you get a pass?

• Options
    Yes got a pass but have to give the wife the equivalent race entry fee!!! My running is costing me a bloody fortune as I always have to giver the better half the same amount!! Who's idea was that..................oh yeah thats right it was hers!
  • Options
    Weird... I don't understand this getting a pass and giving the oh the amount you spend on races, but maybe that is just me? I have always been allowed to do what I wanted (within reason) and spend my own money the way I wanted to spend it. Don't think I would accept it in any other way...
  • Options

It's jsut getting the balance right. I couldn't just say " I'm doing whatever". I need to see what else is happening that weekend, childcare who else has got any plans. It's not so much as getting a pass as sorting making sure it fits. 

As for the Mats', bribery. I fully unerstand that one image

• Options

Yeah, I can see you need to co-ordinate things, especially if you have kids that need looking after.

Hmmm, bribery, now I suppose that is where I have gone wrong... I should have gone the bribery route and make my men 'bribe' me in stead of just saying yeah, if you'd like to go do that, enjoy! image I now know how to tackle that one next time around, if there ever will be a next time that is...

• Options
    Hanneke - Om Namah Shivaya! wrote (see)

Hmmm, bribery, now I suppose that is where I have gone wrong...

LOL...  We live and learn hey... 

Interesting system though...  At least that way you don't end up in a situation when one person pays for all the boring yet necessary crap such as rent, bills food...  while someone else just enjoys themselves...

• Options
    Well at least I will be there.........................so thats a good thing. Besides if she buys clothes I have to have the equivalent in money, works both ways!! Cant wait until she needs make up again!
  • Options
    LOL Matt, I am liking your system image and Nam, you are soooooooooooooooooo right!
  • Options
    I think it's almost fool proof.  At least no one gets take for a ride!!  image
  • Options

If its a local race then I just go and book it..............if its a night away then i have to get a pass because it puts a lot more stress on my OH as we have 3 kids...

Its trying to get the balance right but sometimes when your training your too into it to think of clear balances.......I just want to do them allimage

And I did feel great after Balaimage

• Options

Unfortunately at the moment every race I prep for I fall ill!!! Its been a repeat pattern. My first race ever last year, sprained ankle before race, ran it anyway in the end. Llanelli half started on the line taking flu relief!! Bournemouth half ill up to 3 days before. Missed the dam 10k! Now prepared and currently ill with Llanelli 10k looming.....................

Does anyone know if there is a reason for this? A mate says that running over the hour mark i.e 6+ miles for me lowers your immune system, would make sense as did 9 milr long run last week and ill the next day with this dam cold tonsilitis thing?

Any ides? or just unlucky!!!

Looking forward to that tri tho, sounds ace, a nice novice friendly one cant wait, will be my first!!!! Do they mind me geting my guts out to get in the water or should I cover it up???

• Options

I used to get that,............... the sore thraoty thing. Every year a week after I'd run a marathon, it would last about 6 weeks. I used to think it was some kind of hay fever and then I stopped doing marathons ............................. presto. Maybe cut back all of your runs by 25% for 6 weeks to give your body time to adjust.

Nam, you edited image. Thanks though. No it's not one near Ponty', but it's not too far. I'm Merthyr all of the week leading up to the tri. I've always fancied doing one but my swimming is.................................... well like I'm one of the blue rinse brigade doing lanes and chatting .................... in fact they'd beat me. So this looks ideal, nice little swim, gentle forest bike ride followed by a little jog image

• Options
    That race in Llanddoged looks great, but I am in Manchester running 10K for Cancer Research on the same day! Shame, it's not that far from me.
  • Options
    Pizzaman, there will be plenty of blue rinse style swimmers in the pool, well if last year was anything to go by, including myself image I am looking forward to it already and looks like there will be a nice crowd from here image
  • Options

Regards the triathlon, can someone please help with some questions?

Is the swim in a pool or a lake?

Is the cycle rough enough to justify the mountain bike or hybrid?

Is there some nice villages nearby to stay in for me and the Wife?

I am a complete newby to tri, but excited at the prospect!

• Options

Hi Matt

The swim is in a pool

You'd probably get away with the hybrid if you are doing the full sprint - definitely if you are doing the novice one

Plenty of lovely places to stay for camping this is the bees wotsits (I have lunch there most Thursdays). There are also loads of B+Bs in the area, but you need to book, they fill up fast.

• Options
    If you have a look around this site it'll tell you what you need to know about accomadation etc. And the drop off cafe is as I said - well worth a visit