Options

30 Things Women Should Know

Comments

• Options
    Many thanks for your advice, it was a hysterectomy and I know that I will get back to top fitness probably a lot sooner than if I'd not been fit - but it is difficult to be patient!!!!!
  • Options
    I am in my forties and am finding that I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I go out and feel great and do a race and get a great time whereas other times my legs feels heavy even when warming up and I feel energyless despite having rested for a couple of days and I struggle to run and get a bad time. I think I am going through the menopause and my periods are erratic, does anyone know how to deal with this as I want to get better not worse?

Thanks

Ruth
  • Options
    The fad for botox amazes me. Why would you a)have a toxin willingly injected into your body and b) have it injected into the part of your body that is most involved in communication with your fellow man?

I know a few thirty somethings who have had it and they look either perminantly surprised or mad. Makes me edge away....
  • Options
    Hi Freda,

If I put my life and attitude on rewind...I'd be saying exactly the same things as you. The fat seems to be storing, the energy levels dropping and the motivation goes with it too...a year on, 2 stone lighter and I'm just getting involved in running (did my 1st 10k 2 wks ago) so I'm a complete beginner!
    I think you have to educate your mind before you can convince yourself that you want to do something about it.
    FACT: as you get older, your metabolism slows down, so you have to be careful with what you eat and how often you eat. You don't have to go to extremes and weigh everything (no fun in that) but bare this in mind: Anything with less than 4g of Fat per 100g (no matter how much the product actually weighs) is considered low fat.I've started using Cheese spread instead of Marg, tastes nicer and less in Saturated (heart clogging nasty!) fats. Fat contains 9calories per gram, carbs 4cals and protein just under 4cals. Carbs are energy food if exercising moderately (slightly sweaty / 30 mins, 3 times a week)...I invested in some good books..all about nutrition, training for endurance etc..train the mind and you'll know just how easy it is to do..
    Start slowly...brisk walking with the dog (or husband, on his lead!) or with a friend...join a recreational / swimming club to meet like-minded people. Start low with some good fat burning / cardio sessions. weights / resistance also help to burn those cals..but you have to burn the fat before you can tone the muscle, so doing endless situp won't rid that Kangaroo pouch!! Up the tempo after a month or so by 10% a week...just enjoy what you do and treat yourself!!
    Give yourself a short term goal..say to yourself "I'm gunna buy a good book..study it, try this cardio / eating healthy stuff out.." I promise after 2 months, if you have give it 100%, you will look and feel soooo diferent. Do it for yourself, you only get one body!
    Good luck, you'll do it. :-)
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Ruth,

It is hard work, and I too find it much harder this year than last(I'm 48).

My consolation is that doing nothing would make the situation much worse, and I know it will pass. Nathalie's ideas above make sense.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Helen
    Real women don't flush, they have power surges! (i read that on a fridge magnet!)
    Gill D
  • Options
    Ruth & Helephant Wheeze,

And I thought it was just me! Really suffered with a torn hamstring this year and struggling to get going again. I start off and run well then things go pear shape again. Feeling all of my 44 (nearly 45) years at present.

Been out on the bike as well to try and help, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not super fast at best of times (10k 60.01, half 2.19) but the thing that keeps me going is that it's 'me time' and not losing the enjoyment I've always had. I'm just going to leave the watch at home and start again.

Natalie makes good sense too!
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    I just had to pop in to say .....

my DoB is Aug 1950 – I am physically stocky "pit pony" build (NEVER in a million years did I ever think RUNNING would be possible, never mind a CHOICE!!)

I've had 2 sons quite "late" - 1985 & 1991

my sister (b. 1948) inspired me & was my first exercise mentor (she recently competed in the World Champs - duathlon)

I started plodding in May 1997 (age 46, soon after youngest started school) - 1998-99 were fab running / cycling years

oooops, the big 50 loomed in 2000, and coincided with injury, slowed me down, another injury had me struggling in 2001, and again at the beginning of 2002 - HELP!

I had to tell myself that I could not "decline" so rapidly just because I was over 50!! In April 2002 I joined a gym - just for a couple of months to fast-track my fitness, but it had the added bonus of bringing back my belief that I CAN get back to the level of fitness I had 5 years ago (age 48-49) I am feeling stronger, more flexible, and fully endorse the various posts on here regarding our "natural" looks - my parents are both active 83 yr olds (walk, golf, swim) and have a laugh when they look in the mirror and when they do LAUGH, they seem ageless, despite all the cracks & creases

I enjoy running all distances including Ultras and hope to start training for an ironman in the next few years – my “difficult” years (2000-02) have helped me fine tune the “body-listening” and enabled me to experiment with pushing myself (eg. three marathons in a month) and taking longer rests / “recovery” breaks without losing fitness

Recently I met someone who says it's not right or "natural" for people “my age” to be behaving like I am – the “proof” being how few “freaks” do it!!!! - and that it's "natural" to slow down and have a middle-age spread - um, so not only do we have to be bl**dy determined, we also have to politely combat this kind of attitude (sloth justification) Knowledge is strength!!!

so take heart Helephant Wheeze, Ruth & Lycra Lady
    All the best Hes xx

ps. my periods stopped age 45 before I started running, I have had a few "power surges" !! otherwise not aware of anything else
  • Options
    Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    paskha,
    Gresat to read about you. Some close echoes for me - DOB is June 1952, and my kids were born in 86 and 90(twins).

I am chunky build, currently overweight but working on it and I am a new convert to running. I have never been sporty and could never see the point of running, but now I love it.

My family think I am mad to contemplate a half marathon in September (but little do they know that I intend that to only be the beginning!).

Sometimes wish my periods had stopped - they are getting worse - heavier and more frequent.

• Options
    Paskha
    Thanks for the inspiration. You are one very admirable lady!! I don't have the aspirations for even a marathon, let alone an Ultra or Ironman. You have my greatest respect.

To restore my self-esteem I ordered some new running gear, sale of course, so I'm going to build up slowly and surely and dispose of the watch until I feel ready.

I'm an 'older' mum too. Had my kids when I was 35 & 36, so they're only 9 & 8, so I've some catching up do do on you guys!

Good luck beanz52 with the half in September. I'm entered in the Flora Light in Birmingham on 5 Sept so I hope to be reasonably fit again by then.

This year I've only done one half, 2 10k's, 1 5 miler and a 5k but I live in hope.

Still got my periods and always run my worst the week before. Legs feel like lead, can't breathe, just totally knackered even though I've invariably only run 3-4 miles.

I know that I prefer to run than have an ever expanding middle. I believe it's more 'natural' that sitting on a sofa stuffing yourself.

Thanks again Hes I take heart and will continue to run no matter what my aches and pains may be (within reason).
  • Options
    Hi All,

The messages are great and inspiring. For the last year I have struggled to get back into what was my sport for over 20 years. But lifestyle and jobs got in the way, plus aging beyond the magic 40, now 48 and creaky knees/ pot belly and hips has taking its toll.
    I am sure I am menopausal - but doc says not as they are still regularish. I get so tired at times during the month and can't be bothered to do anything. Saying that, I have just been to the gym for a work out- although no treadmill.

Reading your messages have inspired me to keep being positive.

So thanks to you all.
  • Options

I don't agree with what the article says about running with headphones on. I always run with my MP3 player when I run on my own- I wouldn't have got into running at all if it wasn't for the music.

Obviously you have to be careful crossing roads etc as there's a chance you might not hear a car etc, but I think I am FAR LESS likely to be attacked as a female runner than any other female walking down the street, as I look stronger, fitter and basically a whole lot of trouble for a potential attacker. Mind you I don't run in any deserted areas, I stick mainly to roads and leave the cross-country/woodland routes for when Mr Stripey can come with me.

But good grief, if you worried about being a victim of crime all the time you'd never do anything or go anywhere.
  • Options
    Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    Lycra lady - I am doing Brum flora light too!
  • Options
    beanz52 let me know number see if we can meet up in Brum! Spot the needle in the haystack!!

Feeling much better as have been out for two 4.3 milers, without watch. Great feeling. Went back to days before I really got into timing and PB's and really enjoyed running. The good news is the hamstring seems to have healed completely as I could walk properly on both Saturday and this morning. Also I don't ache!! I haven't felt like this post run for absolutely ages.

I'm going to carry on building up slowly and really enjoying running again. Doing the Sport Relief on Saturday with the kids and then Brum in September, so I'm not putting any pressure on myself with regards to training for races all the time. I think that's when the enjoyment went.

Stripeycat - you seem to have considered all the hazards of running with music and are extremely sensible about it. I've often wished I had music on some of my longer runs but as they take in some country roads it doesn't seem appropriate. I have seen ladies running on wrong side of road with music on, which doesn't seem too sensible to me.

Happy running everyone.
  • Options
    Am a little concerned about item 18. i ran the flm in april and have carried on running and training since then. ive only had one period in about 8 months, and am also struggling slightly with a sore hip joint recently. Should i be concerned?
  • Options
    I started running at 46 - am now approaching 48 and have never been healthier or fitter in my life.
    At first I ran for 15 mins and was tired, I have got better slowly but surely.
    Done a few half marathons and around 10 10k's. I will never win but there are always a few behind me - even the last person has done better than the people watching!! I love running and have more engery than 20 year olds I work with. At first I thought I would never go out in a pair of shorts but here I am. Eat lots of fruit and fish, beans and pulses (plenty of red wine on a weekend). I feel wonderful and hope I am still running in 20 years time. Have even stopped wearing heels most of the time as I don't want to fall over and have to stop running.
  • Options
    Beverley

Me too - I wear flatties all the time now as I dread the thought of hurting my feet or leg muscles - being able to run means more to me than appearances. At 45, going on 46, I feel better and more confident about myself than I ever have before. Life begins, eh?
  • Options
    Ladies,
    Help!!!I did my first tri last year at age 46 and this year entered the "dream double" (for me) - London Marathon and Triathlon. Training for the former was going wonderfully ie following the LM programme, then menopause hit in a big way. I don't mind the hots, but I do mind the sleeplessness (sometimes down to 2 hours per night) the exhaustion, the toilet needs every hour. A month ago I was running 30k in 3:20, now I'm lucky if I can do a tired 3:50. I'm sure it's lack of sleep. Doctors just talk HRt and I'm not having that. I'm taking the natural path, but could do with your advice - you're likely to know far more about not only menopause, but menopause and running.
    I think you're all great!!
    -Cape Town girl
  • Options
    Hi Shereen,

Can't actually help, but if you start a thread in the health and injury section i'm sure one of the Dr or anyone else going through that would be able to help.

I'm only a year younger than you and thought I had years before that hit ;-(
  • Options
    Hi Tired Legs (Mrs Punch)
    Will do as you say. The sad news is, I thought the same as you when my sister (18 months older) reported menopausal hot flushes, etc) a few months ago. Apparently this one is no respector of age...........or fitness, health, or dreams.........

Thanks anyway. Go well. Anyone else out there with some answers?
    Shereen.
  • Options
    I'm hoping that this is the place to talk! I need to talk to someone and want to hear some advice from y'all.

I'm mum to 3 (17, 16 and 10), 48, fat (3 stone overweight), menopausal (couldn't believe it when that hit me - almost a year to the day)asthmatic, work virtually full time, like my wine too much, and am thoroughly fed up with myself...

I've tried to run regularly before but get disheartened when I can't even manage 30 seconds run then a minutes walk for 20minutes, without it being truly unpleasant. So the result is I stop trying after a couple of weeks.

I joined Slimming World about two years ago and know how to cheat the system so I have lost two stone - then put a stone back on - and am ashamed to say I'm still going, cos I know if I stop I'll get ginormous!

I love my red wine and know I'm drinking rather more of it than is good for me - and it's stopping me losing weight. I'm not daft - just bored and very lazy - and look it.

BUT... I want to change in a big, big way. I have just re-read what I've written and can see a big fat horrible slob in my mind and am shocked that it's me.

I never used to be like that - so why am I now? I need some help with 'Where do I start?' There's so much to be tackled and I have realised at last that I'm not going to wake up tomorrow a size 12 and fit as a flea...

Today I subscribed to Runner's World to try and help get some motivation in my life, so that's a positive. Tonight I go to Slimming World so am going to ask the consultant to kick my fat butt.

Is there anyone else out there that has ever been like this, or is it just me? (I feel my husband must think he's the unluckiest man in the universe)but he doesn't really help when I fall at the first hurdle! So it's a vicious circle cos I end up in a row and told I'm a loser...God this sounds terrible!!! I need some encouragement from someone out there that's even remotely felt like I do. I want to get out there and get some exercise for myself.

Help!
  • Options
    (((Jaybird)))

Welcome - you have come to exactly the right place.

First step - have a wander around the threads and pick up some hints and coping strategies!

All life is here - really!!!

If you want to run and enjoy being out there then most of the battle is done! First, make sure that you have a decent pair of shoes from a proper running shop - not <<<ahem>>> JJB or the like.

Second - post your training achievements - setbacks - and general progress on here.

Third - keep at it ;0)

• Options
    When I said 'keep at it' - I meant slowly and steadily does it. Follow (loosely) the beginners schedule found in training. Don't be too rigid about it - but stick to the run walk thing for a while - even if you feel you could do more!

It works - trust me I know!

I'm a 54yo overwieght ex smoker who is running FLM in a couple of weeks!!
  • Options
    Oh Jaybird I read your post and it could have been written by me!! I just joined this site today and have copied down the 8week running schedule. Going to try and run in the mornings. Also thinking about joining WW as I used to go and it suited me. I am lazy by nature joined a gym and started with good intentions but couldn't go a few times due to children and my job so subsequently lost interest. Story of my life but at 43 I know I have to take action or I shall just pile on more weight, have been yoyo dieter most of my life. Would love you to email and let me know how you are getting on.
  • Options

You could enter a 10k a few months ahead, that will keep you going and make you keep training. It's easier in the summer apart from the trauma of the first time you go running in shorts each year !
  • Options
    Hi all just popped in to say i was like this about 6 years ago and without running would still be very over weight and totally unfit
    But started with walk/run then entered Race for Life and since then have gone on to do 6 marathons and a 100km in the sahara I am nearly 50 (sept this year)and looking to do more events and to travel to do them!!
    Hubby and kids have had all my attention up to now so this is my time and yes there are days when its tough to go out the door but I just remember how much freedom running gives me...yes i am hooked
    was inspired by a lady only met last month called Kenwynne Barber 65yrs old doing the north pole marathon one month after the 100km sahara-guess age is irrelevent....
    happy running all
  • Options
    Thanks BevT all this is very alien at the moment... 10k??? I know to the rest of you must seem like a walk in the park!! Don't know about the shorts ;0)

Tortoise Legs too...what an inspiration. Not too many years ago and a few stone lighter I was running with ease seems a life time ago now but I know I can get there again, probably not as fast but still...It's going to be a long haul but I'm begginning to believe I just might do it.
  • Options
    redscarlet
    just take every day as it comes have short and long term goals that way there is no long haul just a series of achievements
    enjoy the journey
    oh yes if not a 10k then start with a 5k and go from there.Race for life is always a great motivator.
    happy running
  • Options
    Thanks Tortoise still haven't been out yet. I have a pedometer with stopwatch mode, sitting beside my bed daring me to get up and go. I am entering the Lincs 5k. Going to make sure I go out tomorrow morning :O) The sooner I start th sooner I can get good enough to join my local running club.
  • Options
    I am 48 this year and started running eighteen months ago - my weight has gone up by two stone - the flab won't budge - and everyday I get a new wrinkle! So unfair. But hey, I've never been fitter, never felt better and I have laughed by sock's off (or should I say sox!) reading this thread. It doesn't matter why you rn - to race or just to get fit - but it should be fun. Forget the pedometer and stopwatch just get on the trainers and go for it!