Options

Big Half

2»

Comments

• Options
    lots of run miles in your legs will do you no good if you can't walk after 112 miles on the bike!! as said you need to cut back on your running and competing and focus on your swimming and biking - 30miles 3x a week is tickover stuff - you need to be doing regular 4/5hr rides and getting up to distance - and then try running when you've finished the bike!!

train smart is the way forward

oh - and yes - don't do a 1/2 IM a week before a full
  • Options

it looks like i've underestimated big style here.

i had hoped to complete a good number of run races (as usual) and then to up with the bike when home. 50 x3 mile was a figure i was working to before IM70.3 in june then i thought id gradually increase to august for full distance.

having read psoh and other IM threads(beginner tri) from you guys i now almost understand what ive got myself into.

so its a definite im not doing this one a week before - foolishly thought it would be good 'practice' for race day.

i regular set off to a race 730am so im changing that to long bike day and the other days i can finish early - long bike.

there is a cycling club locally - think i'll tap them up (no tri clubs near though)

just out of interest - this pirate club of yours seems well supported - do you have to be IM before you can join?

thanks guys, i appreciate you all being to the point

• Options

I'd just like to add that the IM peeps on here, despite the cavalier banter from time to time, are all awesome athletes, without exception, even Coach Barlosimage. I reckon half of them would whup the Commandos on any course.

There is much to be learned from them all. I would recommend doing so whenever you can. I am, and it's hurting!

See you at Boltonman. 

And don't do a half IM the week before.

• Options

Hi Sore shins,

Have a look at the this website There are some training programs on there which might give you an idea of what you should be doing and how to structure your training. Running seems like your strength, so it almost takes a back seat during training.

Assuming you actually mean 3 x 50milers before your 70.3, this still isnt really enough if you're aiming for a full IM this year. You're aiming to recover from your halfIM, build from 50miles to 100miles on the bike (which, arguably is harder than building the first 50 miles) and then taper (3 or 4 weeks) for your IM in august - not enough weekends there! You cant ramp up the bikes too quickly, and you need a recovery week every 4th week, so at the rate of adding 10miles to your long ride every week, it would take you about 10 weeks to get up to 100miles.

You might need to reassess your goals - the IM is the target, not the 70.3. Thats a good thing to do, as a nice big training session in race gear, with race food etc, but I would think you're looking at 80mile bikes before then.

How long does it take you to cycle 30miles at the moment? And what sort of terrain?

• Options

Hi Flyaway, Cougie, FB, dustboy, gumps

great advice, very sobering - takes me just over the 2hour mark to do the 30 miles average per garmin is 14.8mph - i cant seem to beat the 2hour just yet but ive been blaming the red lights. but due to family stuff and not taking the IM training seriously enough getting ready bike out and away ive been dilly dallying... and before i know it 3hrs have gone by.. i have done a few runs afterwards (not immediately) 11miles

terrain is very urban and has a few hills 5% gradient according to the gps

i now understand i need to plan a longer ride ideally without too many traffic lights etc then do a run immediately afterwards

swim total is 64 x25m ie the mile just over the hour but in a municipal pool with other swimmers affecting a constant stroke (twice a week)

swim more, bike alot more, then some more, keep up the running immediately after the bike

ive had a good look at those websites and training plans - im certainly gonna change as per your advice

i will not be doing this the week before - ive heard thhat loud and clear

IM is my goal , has been for the last couple of years but road running which i love has got in the way and is much easier..... cycling and swimming have been used to complement my runs on my none running days.

• Options

done Winter and Summer Toughguy, Edinburgh marathon , Classic distance tri's , over 30 halfs

so ive got the determination just think ive underestimated the IM up to present, the pro's make it look alot easier than reality..

once again i appreciate your input guys

• Options
    No probs. The step up to a full IM is a big one compared to say a Half IM.

I bet you could easily run a Half Mara any week of the year - fit or not - but the leap to a full Mara is really quite demanding.

So Half IM to Full IM is probably about 3x as hard. (Am i making sense ?)

Still - plenty of time so get the long rides in your legs and then you should still be in decent shape for the run.
  • Options

If there is a pirate bike outing near you, (pre IMCH, I think there are a few threads about), that would be a good thing. I have found them excellent fun, extremely supportive and an invaluable insight to an area which is pretty alien to me really, ie bikes.

I have got masses of brilliant tips from loads of pirates, like foods, gels, arse cream, punctures, shoe wedges, ergonomics, seating positions, bike fits, cadences, hill techniques, how not to mash, caffeine, Nuun/Zym, lactic control, kit tweaks, gear ratios, motivation, tea stops and goodness knows what else. (apart from how not to crash, that still eludes me). Probably most importantly, time in the saddle.

There is a wealth of info on here.  Good luck with it.

• Options

Cougie, someone else said it was 4 times as hard. Guess I'll find out soon. image

• Options

what have i got myself in to hey

my missus is spewing - she thought my running training was bad enough - ie time away from the house...hohohoho

these pirate runs/rides seem a good thing - i'll keep an eye out for them

" got masses of brilliant tips from loads of pirates, like foods, gels, arse cream, punctures, shoe wedges, ergonomics, seating positions, bike fits, cadences, hill techniques, how not to mash, caffeine, Nuun/Zym, lactic control, kit tweaks, gear ratios, motivation, tea stops...."

im gonna be busy

i asked earlier - do you have to be an IM to join or can you just turn up?

• Options

I have only ever done a HIM distance and am therefore lower than Roger the cabin boy.

But as I think Candy God King Blackbeard Pirate said, the main focus is IM. Seems a few are donning pirate gear for sprints and stuff but I kinda feel that if you are going to wear the badge, you have to do the time so to speak.

Re family, I have similar issues, wife who married a guy who never did any sport and was always around the house, 2  kids 5 & 8, yeah it's tough at times "You and your stupid bloody pointless sport, you had better give me all the passwords to our accounts before you do this stupid race" etc.

I suppose it's "How much do you want it?" 

I hope I am right in that quality training is the key, not necessarily just hours pounding out the same old route.

And you can't bury the bike to the back of your mind and hope that your swim and run will be good enough. Crikey, I have even bought a fixie/single speed for training and I hate the bike leg of any race coz I am shite at it.

I shall now have to take my own counsel.....bu66er.

Will the missus be at Boltonman?

• Options
    aye the missus will be with me - number one supporter and all that - the kids 7&10 have been dragged to many of my races kicking and screaming - IM is a very long day so i'll have to sort something out there - but its fairly local, about 30 miles away so hopefully the can be rounded up for the 'expected' finish time.

i agree about the pirate gear - badge of honour etc same thing about wearing IM stuff - wont don the yellow lycra til ive do the deed.. at least HIM at least anyway

i want it alot - i'm fully paid up and im a right tight b@stard so i'll make sure i get my moneys worth...

im aiming for a 2hr swim, 7hr bike , 5hr run - so ive got a little time in for punctures, toilets , etc

pushing for the snow to shift soon .... saddle time req - as you say - im sh1te on the bike need to up this 30 mile route and soon

• Options

Aiming to finish in a similar time. But 1.30 swim and longer bike and run. Bit old for speed.

Have you considered your nutritional requirements on the bike leg? Can you eat/drink while riding? Don't forget they are using Gatorade on the day, do you get on with it? Don't wait till your mashed brain says try it on the day. Sainsburys for you m'laddo and try it out.image

If IMUK are to be believed, this will be up there with the big IM races. The kids will love it. And apparently CH4 and Eurosport are televising.

And I might finally get to run a marathon....

• Options

BTW, I'll probably do Weymouth Half distance 7th June, think Bala is around then and closer to you, big pirate event, very highly recommended by the cognoscenti. Have a go.

If you are nearish Bolton, ther is a pre IMCH Midlands ride I think. Maybe a Northy type one too. Shoudl be a thread somewhere.

• Options

Bala half is 14th June and is a big pirate eventimage