Options

free from- diet

ok so i've recently been to a nutritionalist who after about 5 years of 'no you are fine' from doctor's, told me to cut out dairy, wheat, coffee and pork from my diet.
My problem is...the 'wheat free' bread and pasta is shit so what do i carb load on before a race? Only done a 10k so far and have another (swindon) in 3weeks and im hoping for a half next year but apart from becoming a monkey i dunno what to eat before the races!
please any ideas!

Comments

• Options
    I have recently switched to wild rice and other varietys instead of pasta .. for no real reason really .

I also like the spinach pasta and cous cous

depends on why you need to stop eating it all really
  • Options

Can you afford to see the nutritionist again? They should be able to help you.

I'd go with rice, quinoa, and try things like either maize pasta, or 'vegetable pasta'.  The vegetable pasta has a name, and I'm sorry but at the moment I cannot remember it.  There is a new gluten-free bread in tesco that is supposed to be more like real bread, but it is a tad expensive.

Cutting out dairy, wheat, coffee and pork all at once must be quite restrictive for you.  Is it a permanent cut from the diet, or just for a short period of time to be able to see what you react to?

• Options
    Im afraid cous cous is out as it's a wheat product m.elody image
    I'm seeing her again in a few weeks so will be asking her opinion but thought there might be others out there in the same situation that could shed some light!
    It can be pretty hard it's been about a month now although the benefits far outway the annoyance! It's going to be a permanent thing im afraid. I am big on the brown rice front now but am missing the variety that pasta dishes bring to meal times. Think i will see if i can find that vegetable pasta though thanks image
  • Options
    Orgran do vegetable pasta - available in most supermarkets alongside their own 'free from' brands, some of the pasta is better than others too so try different brands. Quinoa is a good carb and Sainsbugs sell barley cous cous (though it is very expensive compared to the wheat version). Can you tolerate spelt? If so that makes good bread.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Agree with LMH about Orgran. Available in almost all Holland and Barretts.

I found spelt in Morrisons today LMH! image

• Options
    What about sweet (or normal) potatoes?
  • Options

You might find this thread interesting/useful, it's pretty much along the same lines.

linky thing to thread for coeliacs

I don't bother with the wheat-free pasta as it is (mainly) disgusting - I prefer rice.  If you have to avoid wheat, but not gluten, then you can eat oats - which is not quite so restricting.

If you want more info, try searching under gluten-free/coeliac as I think that you might find more info there than "free-from".

Spelt is unfortunately, a form of wheat, so if you're on a w-f diet, it would be out.

You could always contact the coeliac disease society, they provide guides on what you can/can't eat if you have coeliac disease - that might give you some more info.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Just out of interest, how did the nutritionist come up with that list of foods to avoid?

• Options
    I was wondering that Sarah....image
  • Options
    Me too as it's a bit of an odd combo - well, can understand wheat/dairy...image
  • Options
    Thanks for the vegetable pasta name it was a nightmare trying to find it on google! Thanks for the thread cjba will check it out. Finding it difficult to find things on the web as so many things aren't actually what they claim to be.

stb..she did this test on me, which no it's not 100% just a guide and i can't remember what the machine was called but she said it basically tested for the electrical current going though me and my recovery when tested against the products. she tested about 100 or so things from different fish, vegetables, cat/dog, alcohol, fruit, gas fumes.... And then lets you know what you were sensitive to and so should try to avoid.
    I've known for a long time dairy wasn't good for me, so even though it isn't a difinative test i'm willing to believe it if makes me feel better! image
  • Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I hate to say it, but that type of testing is completely unvalidated and, IMO, a total waste of money. Research has shown that it consistently fails to identify people with clinically diagnosed allergies. If it can't find those (which are relatively easy to pick up) how on earth is it meant to be accurate in detecting intolerances?

I can completely understand why you want to find the source of the problem, but cutting out all wheat and dairy (I'm not so bothered about the pork - you can cope just find without pork products) is quite restrictive and will have dietary implications. What source of calcium did the nutritionist recommend? Lots of micronutrients are consumed in wheat-based foods (you can of course make do without - I myself am coeliac, so know what I'm talking about image) so you do stand the risk of losing out on those, not to mention the increased cost of buying wheat-free products.

Any nutritionist worth their salt would never recommend that you cut out such a wide range of products all at once - how are you meant to know if you're sensitive to one particular food if you've cut out dozens? Far better to follow a proper elimination diet - cut out one food, i.e. pork. See if your symptoms improve. If they do, great. Then you reintroduce the food (a food challenge) and see if the symptoms come back. If they do, you know for certain that pork is the culprit and remove it from your diet. Repeat for wheat, then dairy (or whatever order you fancy). Never all at once. Unscientific, unhelpful to the patient and potential unnecessarily restrictive.

I'll get off my soap box now image 

• Options
    It's all nonsence, just eat whatever you fancy, i do.
  • Options

I would say only a properly regulated blood test that measures IgE levels (and perhaps at a push IgG levels) is an acceptable reason to cut out a food group. I agree entirely with what Sarah the Bookworm says. trying to live without certain foods in a world that simply doesn't cater for you is a pain in the arse and unless you have a definitive medical diagnosis and reason to do it, I would exercise extreme caution.

If you cut dairy you run the risk of becoming calcium deficient and increase your risk of osteoporosis in later life (amongst other things) unless you supplement your diet with calcium and vit D. You seem to be avoiding a lot of foods and this could imbalance your nutritional make up more than you realise.

I don't want to scare you, but almost all of these tests have been shown to be completely bogus. Only  Yorktest came out with any credibility whatsoever and that involves sending a sample of blood to a private lab for analysis. It doesn't test for allergy though - only measures IgG levels.

• Options

I agree with LB and Sarah with regard to the testing in particular.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Go and see a dietitian!

Not that I'm biased at all... image

• Options
    Remind me what you're studying again?image
  • Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I could do with a trim.....image
  • Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    May I suggest that you don't ask me to do it... image
  • Options

Its worth bearing in mind that absolutely anyone can call themselves a nutritionist and start giving out advice.

Quack quack!

• Options
    Whilst I am intolerant to wheat I can tolerate spelt - which is why I suggested it. If you're not actually coeliac it's quite common to be able to manage spelt I'm told.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

As a recently diagnosed coeliac (I'm image 50) I've had problems with dairy products, but having read the blurb from the coeliac bods, I see that they may be due to my inability to process gluten.  Once I've stabilised following removal of gluten from my diet, I may be able to return to eating dairy.

If you have problems with wheat, that may explain the dairy, but as others have said, the only real way to test is either via blood test (which you get for coeliac) or exclusion diet.  If you follow the later, providing it is conducted under proper and professional guidelines, it will enable you to identify and eliminate the "culprits".

If you really are determined to remove wheat, you need to check everything - Oxo cubes for eg contain wheat - otherwise you may find yourself eating it inadvertently, so prolonging your symptoms (whatever they may be).

However, by removing so much from your diet, you could end up with a nutritional imbalance, which won't help matters at all.  I'm guessing that this is a self-referral rather than via your GP?  If you have serious concerns about your health, then try your GP first, he/she may be able to either give you tests or refer you to nutrionist on the NHS. 

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    CJBA wrote (see)

As a recently diagnosed coeliac (I'm image 50) I've had problems with dairy products, but having read the blurb from the coeliac bods, I see that they may be due to my inability to process gluten.  Once I've stabilised following removal of gluten from my diet, I may be able to return to eating dairy.

CJBA - coeliac disease can cause a secondary lactase deficiency - hence the problems with dairy. This is reversible, as your small intestine recovers now you're on a gluten free diet.

Have you tried Genius gluten free bread? It's not available on prescription, but is the nicest GF bread that I've found. image

• Options
    I have been diagnosed coeliac since 1984. The last thing that you do is experiment on a gluten free diet before having a biopsy. These diet experiments wil just cloud the testing process and make it harder to make a proper diagnosis. You will go round in circles if you let nutritions keep telling you to leave out this and that.Longun.
  • Options

gosh didn't think i'd have so many responses!

Lardarse-im afraid i can't eat whatever i feel like as i get very ill, you must feel very lucky.

Went to so many doctors the past 5 years and none of them were helpful. They just keep saying ibs, which yes i do suffer from but they couldnt help me as to what was aggrevating the ibs. I've had a few tests done so coeliac is ruled out but they said they wouldnt test my intolerances on the nhs (big surprise) so she gave me 3 names i should go see and my women was 1 of them. 

I completely agree it probably is a load of rubbish but im inclined to beleive her as she atleastgave me some answer''s rather than nothing!!

She's given me lots of advice on how to include calcium etc in my diet now also.
  • Options

Yes, thanks for that Sarah, I've been on a g-f diet since June, so after 50yrs of eating the wrong stuff, it's going to take a while for my gut to settle, but I'm confident that it will.

I try a bit of dairy from time to time, to see how it's going.  No 1 Child has similar problems, but we seem OK with lactose-free cheese and yoghurts, although I have to say that now  that I've got used to eating soya yoghurts, I think I prefer them to the "real thing".

And yes, we've tried genius - the closest to real bread.  I've changed my breadmaker to the g-f version and made some bread - not brilliant, but just have to get used to it!

My favourite lunchtime special used to be cheese and marmite on toastimage not any moreimage

• Options
    sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

Go and see a dietitian!

Not that I'm biased at all... image

Correct. Anyone can claim to be a nutritionist. It's about as scientific as homeopathy. Before you know it Gillian McKeith is sifting through your poo!

Dietitians are qualified health professionals. I'd rather show my poo to them.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Michael Hughes 10 wrote (see)

Correct. Anyone can claim to be a nutritionist. It's about as scientific as homeopathy. Before you know it Gillian McKeith is sifting through your poo!

Dietitians are qualified health professionals. I'd rather show my poo to them.

Maybe we don't want to see your poo... image image
  • Options
    anybody can see my poo if they follow me on a runimage