Options

Northwest Tri - Nantwich 05/09/10

Comments

• Options
    I'm here ! Where is everyone ?

• Options

done my race, question over my distance in the pool though, even Admirals can get it wrong, got to wait for my time for the swim but I 'could' be short in lengths, there was a lot of carnage in the centre lanes and I was trying to draft some guy who overtook me so I was just following blindly and it looks like he got it wrong and I followed, I had doubts at the time that something wasn't right but it wasn't until afterwards when one of the other guys mentioned something, it went along the lines of ' you must be Michael Phelps or you can't f_cking count' now not to be undone I did introduce myself as Mr Phelps but it has brought the doubt back.

I will check my time and I know if I am under 7.30 for the swim I was short and will disqualify myself to the organisors but what a school boy error to make, its not like I can't frigging count to 16 !  

Anyway, good event and the bike and run were honest and hard, just disappointing to know I could have got it wrong in a sprint and will have to live with that.

Anyway, good luck to the others later on and thanks for the support from Caz, SA, Jordy and then Calf/NAM.

ANd Calf was looking sweet on the run, good job.

• Options

Nick - your swim time is 7.10.

Get Teya to teach you to count! image

Got some good photos of you though! It was only a mistake and I thought the guy who took you to task over it was seriously over aggressive. I mean its not as if you affected HIS time and did it deliberately.

I did 1.38.46. Amazed to PB. Found the wind quite tough on the bike leg and the pool was significantly more congested this time than in May. Got a good few kicks and gave a fair few back!

Only disappointment for me was I have got chain oil on the t-shirt! Now that IS a schoolgirl error!image

Thanks to SA, Viking, Caz, Jordy and all the abusers on the run leg! I could hear you over by the start line you gobby swines! image

• Options

Did anyone else find it quite disconcerting to have the 100 mile sportive riders about? It was causing a LOT of problems for the traffic because they were cycling four and five abreast and the traffic was forced to overtake fully on the opposite side of the road.

Unfortunately that put me on a collision course with several cars coming straight at me.image 

• Options
    I thought about you all today when I saw the 100'ers weaving their way through Wilmslow in a rather random manner.
  • Options

Good Lord, I appear to have done my best to get a PW - despite my shiny new bike! image not quite sure how that happened...although I was conscious of "saving my legs" a bit on the bike. Overall felt more comfortable though, and I did manage to run all 5k, unlike last time. I don't know where it all fell apart, though, because there are no split times for me after the swim. Pah. Still I hadn't really trained so I can't complain.

Thanks so much for all the legendary Pirate support - SA, Mrs SA and Jordy, Viking and his collective, LB and Caz - you were all fab, thanks image

Yes LB I had the same, except in one instance it was the motorist trying to pass a sportive rider on a narrow bridge who was heading right at me. Pratt. The sportive rider's language was colourful when he cut her up to get back over.

• Options
    think i might  be 'Vikings collective'!image
  • Options
    Hi Colourin - sorry didn't know your name! Nice to meet you image
  • Options
    And you, well done today, you looked quite comfortable and happy on the runimage
  • Options
    The Pirates always make me smile image Thanks image
  • Options
    Colourin wrote (see)
    think i might  be 'Vikings collective'!image

*chuckles*

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Nick - your swim time is 7.10.

Get Teya to teach you to count! image

Got some good photos of you though! It was only a mistake and I thought the guy who took you to task over it was seriously over aggressive. I mean its not as if you affected HIS time and did it deliberately

Cheers LB, I have emailled the organisors and asked to be adjusted or DQ'd, my time reflects 2 missed lengths, thats the beauty of being a seasoned athlete, there shouldn't be surprises and I know what my time should be and thats too quick for me right now.

Yes, I agree the guy was a little aggressive and he could have worded it a little better but thats why I didn't want to let it drop until he had got it off his chest, I am man enough to admit when I am wrong but I was aware I was also standing there in a pirate top (it could just as well have been Chester Tri) and I didn't want some one to leave with the impression that I had cheated and it could have tarred more than just me.

In his defence, I don't have to but I will, if I had been behind someone or even in front of someone that I either knew had lost 2 lengths or in my eyes cheated at the time I am the sort of person who would steam about it until I mentioned it, although I might have put it a little more diplomatically I can see where he was coming from, no I wasn't going to win, and in the end it doesn't look like he did either.

However, I have a clear conscience and a possible DQ. I don't do sprint races unless I am having fun - might not have looked like it - and a DQ won't kill me, but someone thinking I cheated would.  

As it was I got 7th and if I had swam the right lengths I would have been 13th, c'est la vie, unlucky for some ;-(

• Options

LOL at not being able to count to 16 !

The swim did look like carnage to me - I'm just glad I wasnt in it !

I loved the sportif riders - so much fun ripping through them, but at the roundabout at Reaseheath I heard a marshal shout 2nd turn, so I set my line up for it, and then realised he was a sportif marshal  - Doh ! One v quick u turn later and back on track..

It was a fun event though - I may do the team thing again next year. 

Well done on the 7th/13th Rosey - thank god Kona isnt 25m lengths eh ? image

• Options
    Lol, cheers Cougie, sorry didn't get to say hi, am happy to get 3rd fastest bike split but the run needs some work as lost too much time there, less said about the swim the better ;-(
  • Options
    I didn't think things were going too bad, until I looked for my car keys....
  • Options

BB, we have your pirate bottle!!! mail or FB me and will get it sent back to you.

• Options
    Sorry I didn't see you mr SA but mrs cougie says cheers for the support on the run
    !
  • Options

Funniest comment of day was not by us, but by a supporter of someone else

As the person ran past him, he shouted very loudly

"Oh you've got a camel toe"

made me laugh anyway

• Options
    Mrs Cougie can't half shift! image
  • Options
    Looks like you did a fair bit of shifting yourself LB, Well done on your PB imageimage
  • Options

Just a quick note to say thank you for all those who came to cheer!! image  Was nice to see everyone.

I was only a couple of minutes slower than last year which just goes to show that even with training I don't get much better. LOL image

• Options
    In fact my swim was a minute faster despite zero training... and no I've not missed out any laps... image
  • Options
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Funniest comment of day was not by us, but by a supporter of someone else

As the person ran past him, he shouted very loudly

"Oh you've got a camel toe"

made me laugh anyway

LOL.

Quote of the day for me was the bike-in marshall who looked at a male competitor with a raised eyebrow and said dryly...

"That's not a timing chip, that's a lip balm!!!"

• Options

congrats to Cougie and family 2nd relay team

Did you get any prizes mate

• Options

"although I was conscious of "saving my legs" a bit on the bike"

I read that as SHAVING your legs on the bike Basil - very impressive time if that was the case!

Thanks to everyone for making my weekend.  With Windermere cancelled I could have been a mooching cow all weekend but you all pulled me out of it.

Thanks particualrly to Nam and Calfie for looking after me!

• Options

I think the windy conditions must have affected everyone. I lost at least 2 minutes on the bike, compared with a previuos time. It wasn't the best day that I have had either. After getting in the pool, I found that the strap on my goggles had come free of its clip, cue leaky goggles. Not a great combination with goggles. It also appears that Sunday was the day that the elastic had decided to give up and i was unable to pull them any tighter. A busy pool didn't help. There were people with swim start times of after 10 o'clock doing less than 10 minutes. Transition went okay, and i thought the bike was okay. I actually overtook a couple of people. Unfortunately the time wasn't that great. Running off the bike was hard. Too hard. i should be glad to have made it at all, considering the recent problems with my right achilles (7 weeks - no running) followed by left calf (10 days - no running). I was pleases with my efforts though. Then it all went wrong....

It took me an age to find my car, I usually get an idea of where I've left it before going to the race, but this time I didn't bother. When I eventually found it, I couldn't find my keys. They were nowhere. Checked if they'd been handed in. Checked T2. Rode to T1 and checked there. No luck. In the end i had to ride home on my bike. The trouble was, I didn't have a spare car key at home either. I got changed and OH dropped me off at the Barony. Still no luck at registration. I couldn't for the life of me remember when I'd last had them. I knew I'd changed my layout position at T2, so thought it would be a good idea just to scout out the entire row. I asked the guy at the entrance if it was okay for me to look. He said 'Where the bloody hell have you been, I've made two requests over the tannoy about these keys' (he reminded me of the H&S guy at a place I used to work, so I took it as tongue in cheek). He handed me my keys. I was so pleased. Someone had found them and handed them to him. I won't make that mistake again. It could have cost me £200+ to get it sorted. It did spoil my day a bit, but I'm happy to take it as a lesson learnt. Today I still have a headache. One of my toes has a dodgy nail. I have pulled something on the right side of my chest. My right ankle and left knee don't wish to walk, at all. I didn't want to get out of bed today.

Calf is okay. (That's my calf, not the person) (Who may or may not be okay, I'm not here to judge).

Bring on next year. image

• Options
    SuperCaz wrote (see)

Thanks particualrly to Nam and Calfie for looking after me!

No worries.  Welcome anytime, you were great company. image

parkbench wrote (see)

Calf is okay. (That's my calf, not the person) (Who may or may not be okay, I'm not here to judge).

He's ok. image  He walked around T2 for half a minute trying to find his shoosies but other than that was pleased enough with the swim, pleased with bike (considering the circumstances i.e. crap road surface, winds) and still knocked out an 18 in 5k (when deducting time in T2) for a 1:07 overall. image

• Options

LB - I told Mrs C that we were off to the pub for lunch without her you see - thats why she ran so fast.

TSA - er dont think there were prizes for the relay team - but we had to get off anyway and didnt hang around to see. Next year though - we'll improve !

• Options

Amusing time for a male competitor at the bottom of the results...  2:14:01 overall...  image

00:09:49 01:40:29 00:23:43

I mean... just WHERE did he go on the bike??