Options

the fixed five-RW paris choice

13»

Comments

• Options
    Alice RW wrote (see)
    Hi all,

Just to clarify about the selection process and the voting within that – we will take the result of the members' vote into account to pick the winners, along with the application forms and the Boot Camp day. Should we have a vote result which is really really close, we'll now be able to look at the bigger picture in weighing up who deserves to make the Target 26.2 team.

Please be assured that your votes will count – very much so, that week of forum interaction is a really important part of the application process. We like to see how candidates enjoy using the forums, because being part of the forum is such a key part of the project.

Happy to answer any other queries – we've worked really hard putting together the Target 26.2 project and I think it's a fantastic prize.

Alice

Alice - I take your point about seeing how people interact on the forum but the "vote for me" format is very unnatural and rather forced which I think has caused some hostility (hostile might be too strong but can't think of a better word right now) in the past. Is there any way people can be asked to just get involved in the forum and join in on the threads for you to judge how they get on without the voting bit? 

Just wondering. image

• Options
    Hi Alice (and forumites of course)
    Quick question ... is it worth entering if I'm suffering from health problems which are severe(ish) but shouldn't affect my running too greatly.
    Sorry that's really badly phrased - I just mean are the team likely to accept some level of risk with their selections or will they need to play it safe as there are only 5?
    SOLB
  • Options

Wobbled........

I seem to remember that Steve wasn't saying it was the fault of the voting that people were in totally unsuitable groups..........the shortlisting that was done after the boot camp was done by those in charge.......when it should have been the people like him who know about running............the one person shortlisted was put in a group that was never going to be achievable and was going to lead to injury......I believe they had entered with a slower time in mind and had been persuaded that they could go faster.

• Options
    *decides to stop sitting on her hands*

To anyone who is considering applying I would say JFDI! Despite the occasional hiccups I can honestly say I had an amazing time right from the point where I knew I was going to the selection day but couldn't tell anyone. Although they say 'Bootcamp' it was great fun even though the track was covered in snow. I've learnt a lot about myself and my running this year despite not achieving my stated target.

If this year is getting away from times and looking for wider reasons for doing that I think it will remove at least one stressor from the equation. Very easy to get fixated on a number believe me.

Someone commented about the competition threads not lasting beyond the marathon. I know some have in some years but certainly for myself I wanted to draw a line so started a new thread (the fact I found that my mother had been lurking on the original thread helped this decision along).

• Options
    Thanks kk I'll have a think, you're completely right I need to work out whether I'm strong enough for the extra pressure first.

I got loads out of the Supersix threads last year and I'm sure the same will be true this year irrespective of whether I enter the comp or not.

Can I pick your brains a bit about the pressure USB? How did you find it? (lurkers aside) I want to be realistic about whether I can do it before I decide whether to submit an application or not.

I'm not really bothered about the free kit and publicity and stuff I just think the coaching and advice is amazing ... can still get in on that without entering - certainly did last year. Hmmmmmmm

I didn't know we had to beg for votes; I don't want to do that - I'm glad it's not all about votes in that case. (I only joined the site in December so I just missed all that last year)

Might have a chat with the docs to see what their thoughts are ...
  • Options
    I just want the free stuff and travel and nooo shoes
    and to be

FAAAAAAAAMOUS
  • Options

I think the coaching would be fantastic for me.  I know I'm not going to be able to get a PB in Paris as I'm probably a year off my best but it would be a terrific step on the way back to where I'd like to be.  And some new kit would be great too.

And I've no trouble whoring myself on the forum to try and get the votes.  I think that bit will be quite fun, or maybe I'm underestimating what it will take or I'm not taking it seriously enough.

• Options
    SOLB - you'll have a band of cheerleaders behind you which will help. I'm sure the same applies for most regular posters.
  • Options

SOLB - for me I think  the only pressure came from within.  I found the tone of 'my' thread to be really positive although it wasn't the same elsewhere.  When there were 'difficulties' the forumites came riding to the rescue too!

I would like to think that I didn't go round touting for votes although I did revisit a couple of threads to say hello but not mentioning the competition.  As IM says if you are known on here there are plenty of people to do the touting for you image

I think the most important thing for whoever wins the places is to get posting regularly on the thread and by that I mean at least on a daily basis and most definitely posting about the training.  That is what people want to know about.

• Options
    image thanks Mouse, I'm sure you're right - the vote touting bit can sort itself out.

USB you did have a lovely bright thread. There was a great balance of training, advice and support.

I'm not that well known, I tend to stick to my little corners ... will have to start bringing in Mars bars to bribe you popular people with image

Guess I'll just have to wait and see whether an application floats off my computer or not.
  • Options
    SOLB, if you're shortlisted, PM me.  After what you've been through recently, there are a few things you need to know if you're going to do this.  Short advice - don't.
  • Options
    Bugger off the lot of you..... I want to win

Not that I could cope with the technology if I did image I still run with a sundial
  • Options
    Plum wrote (see)
    Bugger off the lot of you..... I want to win Not that I could cope with the technology if I did image I still run with a sundial

just be pleased that at your age you can still run..........

you should have a chance Plum......I can't remember them having an elderley person chosen before..........should add a new dimensionimage

I enter every year and are never picked............I think its because I am too honest........last year people forgot to mention important facts....................

maybe i should miss out the fact that I am also going to be training for the double ironman at the same time as marathon training..........they would need a good coach to fit that into their rigid schedulesimage

• Options

Vote Nicko

Witty, intelligent, top bloke and international running star image

• Options
    And he's a good clearer upper too image
  • Options
    I take bribes - the bigger the better.
  • Options
    I've decided not to enter but I'm open to bribes too ... my latest addiction is Curlywurlys (just saying)
  • Options
    Can we have vice candidates as our running mates?  I think that fits Plumb perfectly image
  • Options

One of the Q.s asked why do you run. D just replied "because you have legs".

OK - I'm game for being a cheerleader so long as I get to dress up and look 18 again.

• Options
    But they did look good in the photos though for the magazineimage
  • Options
    Plumb, There's no B in Plum image
  • Options
    RunningInPleasePass wrote (see)
    Plumb, There's no B in Plum image

There is in plumber.

and plumb bob

• Options
    I could be the first Asics super fiver to die in transit......

and there is an l in plumblob as wellllll but not 2 bbbbbbb's or maybe 2 bbbbbbbbb's

I can probably manage three or four runs a week without expiring.

How far is Paris from Silverstone?

Do I have to run in Asics......
  • Options

seren nos wrote

just be pleased that at your age you can still run..........

you should have a chance Plum......I can't remember them having an elderley person chosen before..........should add a new dimensionimage

I hope they change their minds this year it will be my last running marathons.

• Options

i kinda feel  for the RW crew - every year the crack out an awesome prize and the threads dedicated to each of the runner gives an awfull lot to other readers beyond the chosen 5 and we all do our best to shoot them down for it !

still the forum 6  organised by meldy/ KK rocked last year