Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Certainly is ... you wont miss them!

• Options
    Just seen a pirate leaving on bike - fast in the first 30 out of water woo hoo! !!
  • Options
  • Options

That's my running club's marathon out of my system, but not out of my legs.  My quads are buggered this morning.  A tough two lap hilly run in high humidity and pestered by thousands of biting flies all the way round.

Now that's done I can get concentrate my biking for a couple of months.  A few long sportives coming up and I want to be strong enough to enjoy them as a day out.

Half Ireman on radar now and my training partner has found a streak of form, mainly due to the heavy interval sessions she's been getting on her bike.  I've been told I going to get spanked on the day image.

• Options
    Very tough 3 hours on the bike over the mountains of Spain 1200 M of climbing, good luck to our IM UK pirates, wiggo, and Cav
  • Options

race yesterday

Eirias Triathlon

1.9K swim, hope the course was long as in trianing have been swiming 45 mins, hoping to go under that for race, couldn't believe 1:05

Bike 67 miles in welsh mountains average 14.5 mph found it tough and had problem with fuel, at the aid stations giving accerade, which is disgusting, so had to whole 2nd lap on half a bottle of lucozade sport, lession learnt.

run 2:31 run out and back X2 along the sea front.

pleased overall but my time was sh1t

Comedy tan lines a plenty today

now know where the training is needed for IM wales

• Options

Same race for me. Word from a Garmin-wearing friend was that the swim measured just over 3km in the end. Not the end of the world when you're there for an IMW training day! The marks of the course were a pair of kid's armbands with a dishcloth tied to them, so sighting was a challenge. Heaven knows how far I swam, but time was below par... even for 3km.

Bike was glorious. Awesome route, scenery and raod surfaces. I did a recce last week, so I expected it to be tough. Good news was that I recce'd the wrong hill (shit-fer-brains) so the race was more gentle than expected. Practised all my IMW pacing tips on the ups/downs and they worked. Just need to chill my beans on the flat bits, as I went too hard again, as per LCW Tenby. Food station was ace! Like a bring and buy sale. Just the bottles of Accelerade Soup on a table, and a bunch of nanas having a chat. I think you were supposed to get off your bike, take you box of scones, or home made jam, and go exchange it for a bottle. Time was good too.

Run was.... erm... well it was 13 miles along the seaside in the sun. OK but a bit dull, and weird to run past spectators in your pirate clobber to the accompanying sound track of complete silence (perhaps I heard some sucking of false teeth as I trundled past). Happy enough with 2:07 but slightly below par compared to overall finish time.

So 7:22 overall, which put me 58th. On a bit of a downer, because I can't help but notice that I'm very ordinary at this triathlon lark. This was a hard, hard race, but it wasn't Iron distance, so I feel no sense of achievement in having done it. It's a distance you're supposed to race, not just complete, and I was slow. My body shape looks all wrong for this lark and I'm having a little re-think this week about what to change going forward. Still committed to doing IM Wales though.

• Options

I don't have a finish time!!

the results say pending, does that mean I'm stil going?

• Options

I loved your report STIL.  Honest and straight talking, as usual.  Don't get a downer at this stage as your peak has yet to come.  This is a sighter not the main event.

I'm fecking useless at this lark, but I feel I have found something that keeps me from becoming a middle aged couch potato. I know I'll never feature, and I have accepted my limitations, setting my targets accordingly.  It means I can be realistically competitive in amongst fellow plodders.

I'd say to you, (but with my vast experience of 1, my thoughts might be worthless), that you should keep your realistic targets private.  If you hit those and finish in decent shape then you'll know (and you are the most important here) how good a race you had.  Improvements can only come after as you can work on the areas you weren't happy with.

For now, I'm only looking forward to reading how good you feel and how ready you are.  You'd still beat me on the bike 999 times out of a 1000, but that's not really something I'd go boasting about lol.

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Good racing guys.  I know exactly what you're saying STIL and I had the same downer feeling after Outlaw where my ordinariness (is that a word!) was so evident.  However what's the alternative - give up this tri lark?  I just thought about all the fantastic experiences I've had during training and racing which I would never have if i had not discovered tri.  As VT'd says it stops us all becoming middle aged couch potatos and after all, we are achieving things which others ( the majority) can only dream of.   keep the faith!! image

• Options
    Celebrate our ordinariness image its all relativevcompared to 99% of the couch potato lardys in this country even if you are last in at 16:59:59 you are far from ordinary in the normal scheme of things image
  • Options

Thanks for the supportive feedback, fellas. I'll take my head out of my arse and look on the bright side. Saturday was training for IMW - not an A-Race. I finished nice n fresh, with fuel in the tank, so probably did what I set out to do. Just gets me down seeing all the racing snakes streaking past on the run... makes me feel like a right hefty old unit.

Training plan confirmed for the rest of the week, with comparatively more riding... couple of double bike days. It's a cut-back week in periodisation though, so won't hammer myself on the running.

And then I need to get re-focussed on my diet. Going to have to get my body fat down to 7-8% for Tenby. It's currently about 9.7%, so I'm looking at stripping 3-4lbs off. Onwards and Upwards! 

• Options
    slowerthanilook wrote (see)

It's a cut-back week in periodisation though, so won't hammer myself on the running.

Say what? I'd say you must be elite, STIL - I don't even speak your language!!! image

Could us lesser mortals have a translation, please ...image

• Options

Bloody hell, Brit.... far from it!

Some training plans spilt the long-term workload into 4-week blocks. Weeks 1-3 of each block see you doing progressively more work, and then in week 4 you reduce the intensity and the workload back a bit. It supposedly gives your body a bit of an opportunity to "soak up" the gains you've made. Then the next block of 4 is slightly harder than the last, and so on. The whole process is called periodisation and the light week in each block is sometimes called a cut-back week. My understanding is that in your cut-back week, you want to reduce the amount of hours done (by say 10-15% on the previous week) but also do workouts that are slightly less stressful on your body, so chill your run speeds out... remove the hill reps... interval sessions etc.

Disclaimer; the author of this post knows precious little about triathlon training and the opinions above in no way reflect reliable advice image.

• Options

After the race on Saturday, rested on Sunday and today is rest, will be back on the bike comute tomorrow, 22 miles each way.

Anyone know how to get rid of the number tatoos?

• Options
  • Options

SA - have a look here

• Options

Have they given you a finish time yet, SA? Or are they assuming you're still enjoying a crafty Magnum on the Promenade?

These number tattoos?? Sometimes progress makes huge steps backwards!

• Options
    STIL pleased hear your head is out of your arse as that is not a pleasant place, if you're ever in doubt just imagine your 20 yr old self looking at what you're achieving and being astounded image
  • Options

Jesus... that's a frightening image image. Great perspective. I'm off for a ride image.

• Options

STIL - oh, I see. Very impressive knowledge, I must say! So week 4 is bimble week, sort of?!

I'm just muddling through my training at the min - HIM Sept 2nd, but then GNR 2 weeks later and mara Oct 6th, with 10 days in Spain next week (not a training camp!!) - not got my head around a 'plan' for all that yet, other than building up the long runs and the long bikes. Did actually attempt an interval session on bike this morning, though!

Reckon I'll call Spain a periodisation, then? image

• Options

STIL

Yep finally got a finish time, the swim was even worse than first thougt, but I did get back 1:45 from the traffic light delays

Did you notice the other guy with the same name as yours

• Options
    Timed 400m swim

Training works image
  • Options

Oooph... Meldy! Smoked it. Good effort.

I did notice the other bloke with the same name as me, Q, yes. The one who finished 13th instead of 58th? We're regularly confused by folk who can't tell the difference between the slow, fat one and the fast, skinny one. And I didn't get my traffic light time back image.

You've got it, Brit. Week 4 is your Bimble week. Enjoy the paella!

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

6.39!!! - she's a fish i tell ya  image

• Options
    Agreed Slim but what type? image .........runs off to hidey place on moor
  • Options

Dont hide in water Max ... i'll hunt you down  image

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Much as i like you Max ..you're on your own son  image

• Options

You see Max, you find out who your mates are  image

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    Timed 400m swim

Training works image

Awesome. Bring on winter swim image

I tried some leg kicking ion Saturday. It hurt!