Options

Jeremy Clarkson is sacked!

2»

Comments

• Options
    MgtH - thing is tho, however you want describe the content thats what made the millions of viewers watch. Including me. So Clarkson hasn't had his contract renewed because he assaulted someone and thats how it had to be but I'm getting slightly pissed off with people saying the show will be better without him. Turn on your TV. There are thousands and thousands of shows without Clarkson. Go and watch one of those instead.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that is the thing at all. I didn't say it would be better or worse without his holiness. Just that the Beeb can be expected to deal with it and move on.

Just like they are expected to deal with others leaving

Johnathon Ross.

Russel brand

Adrian chiles

That horsey woman who looks like Adrian chiles

Fern cotton.

Zane something. malik is it?

And whoever else
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the actual cars are a kind of second sting of interest with top gear. The opinions of the presenters rarely matched mine in terms of which cars look good or that I would buy, but the banter was good and that is what people tuned in for. That and to see the star in a peasantly priced car.

Fifth gear is a much better show about cars that most people could afford, and their tests are much better, but the humour is not there.
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭

From that list I want Suzi Perry. Coming to that, anyone of the Gadget Show might do well. Entertainment instead of proper review. It's not a review show anyway. Not many people are stuck between a Gaillardo and a Koenigsegg and need help to decide.

I also guess we see Clarkson on either Top Gear USA or Australia soon.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Suzi Perry
    Vicky Butler Henderson
    Lucy Worsley

The dream team.

• Options
    That would be wet dream ?
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    Is shoplifting morally wrong then? Even when the big companies make unimaginable profits despite continually allowing good food to perish, while people of the world are starving? You need to look outside the box.

Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    ^^^ thing works differently here than they do in the 3rd world colonies so your post is irrelevant ^^^

Oh and Asda is part of Walmart and Tesco is a true British/English company that is multi-national. So your post is cow dung maate!

Lars wrote (see)

I also guess we see Clarkson on either Top Gear USA or Australia soon.

those shows are franchised by BBC worldwide so Id put money on that never happening

• Options
    Well i did read something on the IBT site that claim Clarkson WILL have to appear in the Australian Top Gear live event or there will be some sort of legal rumpus.
  • Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I don't think there is anyone that could fill his shoes. Clarkson was doing good telly (matter of opinion) back in the 80's and there is nobody that has Clarkson's wealth of experience in journalism and in the automotive industry.

Whatever you think of him and his antics, Top Gear is now dead, 

I sat with my son last night and watched a re-run of the episode when they created their own mobile homes. We laughed and giggled, and I felt quite nostalgic. I think that will be his equivalent memory to the one I have of sitting down with my Dad on a Saturday and watching Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks slug it out on what was an entertainment programme purporting to be sport.

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

So the head of the BBC and his family have had death threats, and the chap who was assaulted (who didn't report it and who isn't pressing charges) is being abused on Twatter.

What a great country we live in...................

• Options
    Not nice for either of them however death threats and abuse plus threat of graphic violent sexual assault if you're a woman is standard practise on Twitter for sure. Did you see the supposed comedy clip posted on this thread? That guys routine is based on repeatedly wishing Clarksons three daughters die. But he's just joking... so thats ok.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Chelsea fans, probably
  • Options
    Miffi:

A) No he didn't. He wished they would go blind. Just a joke. Like on Top Gear.

B) You're spectacularly missing the entire point of that routine, which is odd, given that he even breaks character at the end to explicitly explain what the point is so that people like you wouldn't misunderstand. It's almost like you didn't watch the whole thing or something.
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I watched it. He just isn't funny.
  • Options
    That's fair enough, Gideon. Different people find different things funny. But to misrepresent the whole thing, as Miffi did, isn't a simple matter of differing taste: it's either a deliberate act, one born of stupidity, or a failure to engage on any meaningful level with the routine.

Seriously, Miffi, did you watch all the way to the end? All the way to the bit where he explains exactly what he's doing and how it relates to the subject matter? The bit where it becomes blindingly clear that OF COURSE he's not actually wishing blindness on Jeremy Clarkson's daughters (mind given that you thought he was wishing them dead, I suppose it shows how much attention you were paying), but employing an exaggerated version of Clarkson's wearisome comedy tropes to make a point about their irresponsible nature? The bit where he talks down the camera directly at you and explains it all, making it explicit that he's doing so in order to avoid sensationalist misreadings of his intent of the type that you've clearly made here? Did you?
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I find the Stewart Lee thing funny and quite clever.   It is a bit near the knuckle but it has to be to make the point - you almost have to think is it ok to laugh at this - the problem with some of Clarkson's cracks is that people laugh at them without thinking.     

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I guess I didn't think it was funny because I don't think saying it is a joke, makes it ok or funny- Which was the point of the rambling lesson, but as I was already there, I didn't enioy getting the directions explained slowly.

I like clever comedy, so maybe it is just his delivery style that is not my cuppa.
  • Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Really?  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32214799

How can that possibly make any sense at all?

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff. Surely this is a late April fools story. Technically he went sacked by top gear. His contract was not renewed. But a sideways step does not seem like standard punishment within the BBC for an assault. Maybe people on yearly contracts are treated better than employees.
  • Options

thats a shit decision

• Options
    I look forward to watching it. If it happens.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you can almost taste the smug digs he'll be making.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Oisin Tynan will get on as a guest?
  • Options
    Stevie G. I can also imagine the type of comments he'll get from Merton and Hislop. Hope it will be good viewing.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Interesting way of handling violence in the workplace.

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Didn't he throw a biro at Hislop last time, cutting his face? probably muttering something about the 'pen being mightier than the sword'.

This really has changed my view of the BBC. All of a sudden, I don't feel like paying them my license fee.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Have I Got News For You is a good example of a show continuing despite its wanchorman hitting the big red self destruct button.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

he's pulled out of hosting HIGNFY

• Options

Sue Perkins is currently joint fav (@2/1) with Dermot O'leary to be Jezzer's Top Gear replacement:

/members/images/855487/Gallery/jezzerreplacement2.jpg

I'll go for 4 episodes before she makes a soggy bottom pun - perhaps during a track test involving a swelteringly hot day and a Recaro bucket seat.