Options

HR Training Zones / Base Training.

Comments

• Options
    Ok to check that I understand this right (Polar zones used)

Assuming my Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) is 220 & my average resting HR is 48 (ARHR), the following equation and training zones should apply to me:

MHR (220) – ARHR (48) = 172, percentages of 172 for HR HR thresholds for the training zones in brackets

50-60% (86 – 103 BPM) Recovery sessions

60-70% (103 – 120 BPM) Fat burning

70 -80% (120 – 137 BPM) Steady state training

80 - 90% (137 – 154 BPM) This intensity can be held for about one hour in competition (?)

>90% Short distance races (>154 BPM) - sprints etc

Questions

1) Is my application of the formula correct?

2) For base training do I use the 60-70% zone Fat burning?

3) These thresholds seem very low which is why I was originally confused and doubted my application of the formulae, for example last night on a very easy 7 mile run (9min miles+), I struggled to keep my HR below 140 and at times it went above 150 (hills) – this was very easy running, less than marathon pace. I also noticed that when walking the last mile (as I had a blister) my HR averaged about 110. There is virtually no way I can run and keep my HR below the 120 Fat Burning (base training threshold).

Or – should I be re-adding my 48 BPM Resting HR to the percentages to give the figures below, if I do they then seem a bit high.

50-60% (134 – 151 BPM) Recovery sessions

60-70% (151 – 168 BPM) Fat burning

70 -80% (168 – 185 BPM) Steady state training

80 - 90% (185 – 202 BPM) This intensity can be held for about one hour in competition (?)

>90% Short distance races (>202 BPM) - sprints etc

Im sorry if I seem a bit thick but im still confused (hence starting this thread), could someone be so king as to work out what my zones could be (cant believe ive a grade A in Maths – I must be getting old).
  • Options
    Trying the no gel route at the moment (although I'm no where near serious training that you guys do) and finding it OK although recovery is hard. Did 17/18 miles on Sunday (I'd love a GPS) with no food and stupidly no fluids...but my hands were sooooo cold and felt fine. But my run home last night was hard as hell...had to jump in a cold bath to try and stop my legs from complaining. Must get the batteries replaced on HRM.
  • Options
    that isn't much to eat!

dunno if it was 'the knock' - the symtoms were described in detail (ie mild cardiac drift, constant speed) - it wasn't particularly unpleasant, so maybe it wasn't 'the knock' at all. i've been doing a couple of 20 milers and a longer run, usually about 25, all winter, with never any worse symptoms than that (it getting a bit harder at the end, as evidenced by a slight drop in speed at constant HR, or a slight increase in HR at constant speed)

i've done 20 milers on just flat pepsi max, with very similar results... just i started eating something after someone told me i could have a heart attack if i didn't!

yes re tea coffee - i usually use flat pepsi max instead of water, and l-carnitine
  • Options
    count, the reason for the gels are

1) somebody told me i risk heart attack by not eating on 20 mile runs... which might be ********, but i dont want to risk it

2) fat burning can only provide a finite amount of energy, and even in the best trained athletes its capped at around 70% - without carbs, the rest comes from lean tissue by glycolysis, which aint good

l-glutamine supplementation (especially immediately post run) is supposed to help counter lean tissue loss
  • Options
    Andy - I've never heard No.1 !

I think 17/18 miles is prob near the limit without extra energy taken in. They talk about the wall being at about 20 miles don't they, so you need the gels before you get to that point.
  • Options
    a couple of people on these forums said it - maybe rubbish, but why risk it

one was Glen - and he has a bears so he must be taken seriously

anyway - i see no issue with eating 600 calories due to '2' anyway... assuming one burns 100 calories a mile (i'm heavier than average so its slightly more i'd guess) then 20 miles gives you 2000 calories - plenty of room to burn fat, especially if its three times a week, and that's before the cycling!

the only downside is it costs a fortune in batteries training on unlit country lanes in the dark (head torch/mp3 etc)
  • Options
    he has a BEARD

although he might have bears as well, not for me to speculate
  • Options
    I do my 4hr+ bike ride using just fluid i.e 1 bottle of water and 1 of powerbar energy drink (not a plug for them)much!
    I then eat a carbo bar and go off on my 2hr run and maybe take a couple of gels toward the end of the run.

This seems to work fairly well for me though i have used this through-out the winter so my body wont crave to much food

Carl, 220 minus your age is not accurate enough to get your HR zones
  • Options
    i eat much less on the bike, which is illogical come to think of it given reasons 1) and 2)
  • Options
    JLK

how are you handling 'periodisation' for austria?

i was planning to carry on doing mega miles aerobically (3 or 4 hours a night) running and cycling, with swim and gym in the daytimes, and then throw in speedwork from mid march
  • Options
    ...oops....

how are you organising yours, out of interest?
  • Options
    I started my winter preperation early (long slow stuff)so i could start my speedwork early. This is due to the divisonal road race champs being on my door step and as our team is running it i need to perform.

Im going to have to carry the fitness over to my preperation for Austria which should'nt be a problem!
  • Options
    My training is based alot around HR and how i feel. I try to get a race in at least once a month to stop getting stale!
  • Options
    i read some articles by dan ----- or ed ------, the quintana roo guy anyway

the gist was that anaerobic stuff takes three months or so to get back, and mega aerobic stuff for the rest of the time is arguably the best way to go

so i've been doing that since mid-october

will be interesting to see how it goes when i start putting the 'quality' work back in
  • Options
    if it doesn't work, then i wont try it again next year!
  • Options
    Ive not looked at my sports science notes for a long time as i only coach myself though i will try to explain one thing.

The term 'big strong heart' comes from the fact that the right atrium of the heart increases in size due to low level exercise(big) and it becomes strong from what you would say was 'quality'(speedwork) exercise. Strong is the thickness in the walls of the atrium.
    It is difficult to train the heart to become big if you are training hard at the same time (making the heart strong)
  • Options
    I've got a big left Ventricle (ooer) due to cycling apparently. How does that fit into things JLK ?

(cougie desperately tries to remember his O-level Biology drawings. Nope. All I can remember is the amoeba. Dot dot dot)
  • Options
    thats alright then innit, it completeley squares with the approach of only doing aerobic stuff now, then bringing in intervals etc later
  • Options
    and the crudely drawn kn*b on the blackboard, cougie?
  • Options
    Carl

Although there is no such thing as a perfect estimate, there is a better formula for calculating max hr in runners. It's in 'Heart Rate Monitor training for the Compleat Idiot'. You can get it from Amazon, but note the spelling of COMPLEAT.

Anyway, using that calculation (205 minus half your age), your max hr is 188

Now subtract your resting hr

188-48=140

now we multiply 140 by the %

so 140 x .6 =84
    140 x .65=91
    140 x .7 =98
    140 x .75=105
    140 x .8 =112
    140 x .85=119
    140 x .9 =126
    140 x .95=133

finally, to get your zones, add your resting hr on again.

Your zones are as follows
    60-65% 132-139 bpm
    65-70% 139-146
    70-75% 146-153
    75-80% 153-160
    80-85% 160-167
    85-90% 167-174
    90-95% 174-181

Just to throw a spanner in the works, some people have an actual max hr which is up to 20bpm different from the formula calculations, so it is advisable to do a max hr test- mind you, I haven't got round to doing one yet!
  • Options
    pfft that's still based on averages

its like saying 'the common belief that everybody is 5 foot 8 is patently silly - actually men are all 5 foot 10 and women are all 5 foot 6'
  • Options
    lol, which is a curmudgeonly way of saying i agree with you about the max HR test
  • Options
    Andy

Although I haven't done a max hr test, I do need to get round to one soon. If anything, I'm beginning to suspect that my max hr may be lower than the one I got from the formula, as I have only got within 10 beats of it once, and that was during a race, when I was really pushing it.
  • Options
    If you are serious about training with a Hr monitor then the only way to get your zones or levels is to get a max test. These estimates are a load of B......'s most of the time.

Ive had a max test and it was 17 beats lower than the 220- your age C..p!!!!
  • Options
    I've seen a different one in a Sally Edwards book that took account of sex and your weight. I'll look it up and post later.
  • Options
    Again! that will be an estimate and working in 10% tolerances this would not be accurate enough!!

Unless Sally Edwards offers a service where she comes round to your house with the equipment required?!!

A Lab!!!!!!
  • Options
    I know. But if we try it for size and see how it compares to our tested heart rates, it'd be better than that silly 220 idea.

Sillier title for a mag too. Read the bike review in there this month - they talk of rubbing the bikes ears on the road through sweeping bends or summat. What the heck is that all about ? Nutters.

Deffo recommend Pete Reads blue book.
    I think it tells you how to do a MHR test in there.
  • Options
    Is that THE Peter Reid? Or some guy who's called Peter Read?

Anyway Peter Reid is the Man!!

Mmmm!! Cant think why i said that? but he is bloody fast!!!

That guy who tests the bikes in 220 does seem like a dork! Im gonna have to ask my friend who is a Pro all about him?!
    I think it says in there somewhere that he is a former National Champ!!
  • Options
    bikes ears...
    c'mon you mean you all don't stroke them too...
    and feed then sugar cubes and carrots etc...?