Options

That annoying moment your chip fails in the London Marathon

Comments

• Options
    runner-man wrote (see)

Maybe their policy is not to name and shame on social media until proven guilty.

Don't know: they seem to have gone from nothing to anyone who has missed a mat is suspect. I saw a few yesterday that missed one mat and their split time doubled and were marked result in query.

• Options
    2wheels wrote (see)
    David F wrote (see)

This might seem low and capture legit runners but I only get very few false positives this way, which I then just manually look through. In all honesty almost everyone who had a missed chip timing had a dodgy result.

My chip missed the first 5km at Brighton, it is very obvious though (halve my 10km time and it;s consistent with all my other splits), I really dont think you need to worry about false positives

I was wondering if this happened to anyone else as mine didn't register at the 5K point in Brighton either. Hope no one looks into my suspicious time - went from 3:35 last year to 2:44 this year (and my bib number was hanging by one pin for most of the race)... image

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    runner-man wrote (see)

Maybe their policy is not to name and shame on social media until proven guilty.

Don't know: they seem to have gone from nothing to anyone who has missed a mat is suspect. I saw a few yesterday that missed one mat and their split time doubled and were marked result in query.

Luckily, they (or their contractors) have an elaborate computer vision-based system that recognises race numbers (by the look of it) in order to sell massively overpriced pictures, so they will likely be able to pull all sorts of useful metadata out to let them find people on video too, and confirm that they passed various points- if they were actually on the course.

It would be reputational suicide to do anything other than measure twice, cut once- possibly even worse than invoking the spirit of Yolo Swaggins and letting cheats go.

• Options
    runner-man wrote (see)
    Real Mr I wrote (see)
    Is it too much to hope that one of the processes in place to id cheats is looking at the runners world forum?

To be honest, I would have thought LM would know which runners who cross certain posts, then go missing. If they have a system which copes with 39,000 through nine points of the course, it shouldn't be hard to find out anyone who tried to cheat. Maybe their policy is not to name and shame on social media until proven guilty.

They do. Hugh Brasher said they do. I quoted him earlier.

The organisers don't "name and shame" cheats publicly, They deal with them privately and remove their results - which is the proper and professional way to go about it.

I think it's probably only in recent years that they have come up with a system similar to Mr.I's but it does takes a few days to investigate them properly. We sit here complaining they don't care and are not doing anything but I'm pretty sure they actually do - and are.

• Options

I hope the cheats get banned from LM forever so that people who really want to run it properly get to run it! image

Natasha Argent is apparently a tennis coach. I hope she gets banned from coaching anyone. 

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted but i also saw 4 or 5 people with two chips one on each trainer.  Whats that all about?

• Options

Championship runners all get 2 chips - presumably just to make sure they're picked up since prizes and qualification spots could be at stake.

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Thanks Andy - i really regret shouting you cheating b4st4rd at that woman at the end nowimage

• Options

Was she Kenyan?

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

SenidM said "Sorry, but I doubt if any of the cheaters found have ever looked at a RW forum, or even know that a magazine called RW exists, so naming and shaming is just our fun"
    Don't think that is so, we had a Charity come on here to clarify their position and we've had several club representatives come on here to defend their runners on previous posts.

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

It has been known for people to run with a second chip, so get someone else a GFA or an entry to Boston.  However, it's a simple matter to spot them in the results as you just find two people who have crossed every mat at exactly the same time.  Then you check the photos.

• Options

See but this is an example where it all falls down for me when it comes to the organisers of the London Marathon finding cheats with their computer programs.

This lady here. Basically flagged as a cheat.

http://results-2016.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/2016/?content=detail&fpid=search&pid=search&idp=9999990F5ECC83000019E99C&lang=EN_CAP&event=MAS&num_results=1000&page=38&search%5Bsex%5D=%25&search%5Bnation%5D=%25&search_sort=place_nosex&search_event=MAS

Yes she missed a timing mat, but have a  look at the times. If anything she was ridiculously slow for the bit she cheated on, and anyone with half a brain would come to the conclusion she likely didnt cheat. So considering London Marathon have only a handful of people to check, and it would take no more than a 2 minute look at her times to know there was probably nothing untoward going on, why is it that they take 48 hours to flag up the culprits and even then some of the times they say are dubious are a stretch at best in terms of the accusation?

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    M.ister W wrote (see)

It has been known for people to run with a second chip, so get someone else a GFA or an entry to Boston.  However, it's a simple matter to spot them in the results as you just find two people who have crossed every mat at exactly the same time.  Then you check the photos.

sounds like a job for Mr I.

• Options

Oh and to see that shes flagged up, type the surname Scarfe into the search terms and it will show shes under query.

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Andy D wrote (see)

Was she Kenyan?

No she was from Essex!

• Options
    Shedboy wrote (see)
    Andy D wrote (see)

Was she Kenyan?

No she was from Essex!

Boom Boom ... are  you here all week?

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

hehe - thats reasonably good for me image

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Ohhh Mr I , that last runner you flagged up, she used to pop onto these fora years ago, Think I met her at a couple of races, assuming it's the same lady with the same name, still running for the same club...

• Options

Im not sure whether you meant that as a good or a bad thing Dustin! image

• Options

that last one looked a bit starnge as she has some really slow splits near the beginning.......

then i noticed from the photos she ran part of it in fancy dress like the queen.so that would explain why she had a couple of slower splits.....doesnt look like a cheater to me so surprised they flagged it up

probably discovered it was too hot to wear it the whole way

• Options
    She's not cheated - she's doing consistent 50mins or so for 5k's -- she probably went to the loo and missed the mat at 20k.
  • Options

It's good to see there are so few cheats, but I'm glad the minority are being put in the spotlight. Absolutely reprehensible behaviour. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Perhaps they've just flagged them using an automated system but have not checked them yet. I had two chips, because I'm special. It's to give me that extra edge in case I cross the finish mat with the wrong foot, losing valuable fractions of a second.

• Options
    David F wrote (see)

I wrote a script that goes through each result page looking for missed chip times. Then it compares the different timing mat markings and I look for anything with greater than a 10% variance. This might seem low and capture legit runners but I only get very few false positives this way, which I then just manually look through. In all honesty almost everyone who had a missed chip timing had a dodgy result.

Unfortunately this year due to my timezone location, I could only do the first bit of the race, then had to have a sleep and then post again just now as it was too late for me to wait for everyone to cross the finish line so I could run the script image

Its about 50 lines of code, and in all honesty, you could easily hook it up to the live results and catch people out as soon as they cross the finish line .

Someone from my club completed the marathon, but had no start time, splits or finish time.... She's highly unlikely to have cheated, and I guess the lack of a finish time proves that, but it shows that some chips sometimes just don't work... the most suspect ones are obviously the ones that fail at 10k then magically work again just in time to get the finishing time...

• Options
    Probably had the chip near a magnet or something ? All chips work when you are given them.

I see they were selling magnetic number holders at the expo. Small print says not for numbers with chips on - which is a LOT of races nowadays.

Your clubmate will still have pics of her along the way. If there's none then I'd be suspisious.
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Haha lit - at least i know it wasnt you i saw at the end.  I put mine on the wrong foot and that clearly caused all my issues image im getting two next time for balance

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Actually, one time my chip failed at the start of a race but not the end. I ended up just getting a gun time, which was annoying.

• Options
    Real Mr I wrote (see)

See but this is an example where it all falls down for me when it comes to the organisers of the London Marathon finding cheats with their computer programs.

This lady here. Basically flagged as a cheat.

http://results-2016.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/2016/?content=detail&fpid=search&pid=search&idp=9999990F5ECC83000019E99C&lang=EN_CAP&event=MAS&num_results=1000&page=38&search%5Bsex%5D=%25&search%5Bnation%5D=%25&search_sort=place_nosex&search_event=MAS

Yes she missed a timing mat, but have a  look at the times. If anything she was ridiculously slow for the bit she cheated on, and anyone with half a brain would come to the conclusion she likely didnt cheat. So considering London Marathon have only a handful of people to check, and it would take no more than a 2 minute look at her times to know there was probably nothing untoward going on, why is it that they take 48 hours to flag up the culprits and even then some of the times they say are dubious are a stretch at best in terms of the accusation?

cougie wrote (see)
    Probably had the chip near a magnet or something ? All chips work when you are given them.

I see they were selling magnetic number holders at the expo. Small print says not for numbers with chips on - which is a LOT of races nowadays.

Your clubmate will still have pics of her along the way. If there's none then I'd be suspisious.

I really really really can't imagine this person cheating. And I can't imagine that every chip works perfectly every time. I'm not sure how she'd have ended up with a medal by crossing the finish line, but not been given a finishing time, if her chip was actually working.

Edit: a little bit more investigation shows she has 21 photos from various parts of the course, but no times of any nature on her profile. I suppose she might have just dipped into areas where photographers were, but she also definitely ran down the Mall and went over the finish line... You can draw your own conclusions I suppose.

• Options
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

I really really really can't imagine this person cheating. And I can't imagine that every chip works perfectly every time. I'm not sure how she'd have ended up with a medal by crossing the finish line, but not been given a finishing time, if her chip was actually working.

Ebay?  Yours for £100.  Heck, even the chips are going for £20!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

Ebay?  Yours for £100.  Heck, even the chips are going for £20!

Are they? Ace, I've got two.