Options

That annoying moment your chip fails in the London Marathon

Comments

• Options

unless its Manchester  image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'd be annoyed at the antics of these (shortcut) cheats simply by the way they regard those who do the entire distance as some sort of idiot.

A question of context perhaps, but those who sign up for the deal know what it's about.

🙂

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Philip and Seren - you are both right!!

I would bring back public flogging - we could use our saucony kinvaras or asic gel cumulus.  Bare foot runners would obviously just have to watch and boo

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

/members/images/183787/Gallery/vlmcourse.jpg

Far too many convenient places to cut the course after halfway.  Start of Narrow Street, Limehouse Link, Westferry Circus if you haven't already done so by the Highway.  Maybe they should remove all the barriers, but have a secret camera set up to name and shame anyone who's tempted.  Would be great fun to watch all those who slip through and think they've got away with it image

• Options

Must be some CCTV round there, anyone know someone with access image

• Options

So apparently a guy dressed as a shoe saw Natasha go under a barrier *link*

I doubt it will happen but I hope she makes a public apology!

• Options

ooh loving reading all these, we were watching at just past the half way point and I was trying to see if I saw anyone cheat where we were, I saw a few running run to the loos at the Texaco garage which were on the opposite side of the road, which I'm guessing then if they came out instead of carrying on to the Isle of Dogs they have just stayed on the same side and headed for the finish which would explain why  they had missed the mats

• Options
    plazzyplazzy ✭✭✭
    Emmatron wrote (see)

Can you warn us when you link the s*n?

• Options
    plazzy wrote (see)
    Emmatron wrote (see)

Can you warn us when you link the s*n?

+1

I clicked on it before I realised it was that rag.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Jo PoweredbyChocolate wrote (see)

ooh loving reading all these, we were watching at just past the half way point and I was trying to see if I saw anyone cheat where we were, I saw a few running run to the loos at the Texaco garage which were on the opposite side of the road, which I'm guessing then if they came out instead of carrying on to the Isle of Dogs they have just stayed on the same side and headed for the finish which would explain why  they had missed the mats

Aha! I've always thought if you wanted to cheat the best way would be to pretend you needed a poo. Much better than just ducking straight under the barrier.

• Options

How long before the prices come down enough and the technology is suitably sophisticated that the big races issue all runners with a gps unit and has wifi receivers round the course so all runners can be located at all times?

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Kris Whitmore wrote (see)

How long before the prices come down enough and the technology is suitably sophisticated that the big races issue all runners with a gps unit and has wifi receivers round the course so all runners can be located at all times?

even if they can do it, it is overkill.

a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)
    Jo PoweredbyChocolate wrote (see)

Aha! I've always thought if you wanted to cheat the best way would be to pretend you needed a poo. Much better than just ducking straight under the barrier.

And then that Radcliffe woman comes along and just poos at the side of the road, spoiling it for everyone who doesn't want to run the whole way.  Spoilsport!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Easy enough solution is to have another timing mat about 100m from the finish.

It won't be a 'timing' mat as such, but will flag up whether or not the runner crossing it has crossed all the other timing mats; which to the cheats, have been placed in some very inconvenient places.

Needless to say, it will be relatively easy to drag possible miscreants from the race where their timing chip will be given a public examination.

If the chip proves faulty, then maybe a free entry for next years event as recompense for the potential public humiliation.

However, If the chip proves perfectly functional, a good public naming and shaming should be entertaining.

🙂

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Realistically it is only idiots who would fake doing a marathon. As you can not predict what that kind would do in different circumstances- unless you are one and then you wouldn't be reading this, then applying logic to the solution is pointless.
  • Options
    Kris Whitmore wrote (see)

Cannot see it. Still costly to start with. Wi-Fi can be unpredictable. Will deliver far more than the current system.

They did have tracking devices for the celebrity runners which follows where they are on the course. But doing it for 39,000 will be too much.

While they have mats for every 5k. It may be possible to extend mats to every 1-2 miles in future. Just the matter of cost and reliability.

• Options

http://news.sky.com/story/1687563/towie-stars-sister-hands-back-marathon-medal

"At her request, we have removed her results from the system and she will be returning her finisher's medal to us."

Too little too late - cheeky so and so.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

lessons to be learned.

if you are going to skip half the course remember to take a proper break and calculate roughly when you would have reached the same place in the course.

don't set a new world record pace.

then you can go with the faulty chip story.

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    image yeah Skotty, but if you're so fecking dim you don't even know there are timing mats every 5K (whatever a K is) you ain't likely to learn the lesson!

Still, all the more fun for us
  • Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    skotty wrote (see)

lessons to be learned.

if you are going to skip half the course remember to take a proper break and calculate roughly when you would have reached the same place in the course.

don't set a new world record pace.

then you can go with the faulty chip story.

Quite.  See results for the "Brighton Lady" at the Brighton Marathon 2015 image

http://brighton.marathonapp.net/events/2015/entrants/8d792f18-cb91-5b97-8556-5868e7bbea63

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Well the time is in keeping with recent standards, but she doesn't seem to have much luck with the chips..

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

The Dickinson Effect: Cheap as chips.

• Options
    She's written a glowing reference to the oxygen clinic. THAT must account for that PB....
  • Options

An excluive with Okay magazine, poor woman had a panic attack, got disorientated and then felt awful being cheered on. Is that the best she could muster?

http://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/541021/natasha-argent-sets-record-straight-on-marathon-cheat-claims

• Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    ^ yeah right... And who is going to believe that?
  • Options

A panic attack...she looked awful at the finish line and on the picture she shared over social media....and the lies she continued to tell....

• Options

Mr f.  Have you managed to look at mark can and his new hole record claim...looks like he has gone to ground.....makes all his 90 marathons in 90 days look a bit dodgy as well now.....

I have read lots about his sponsorship deals for things for him but gave found only a few thousand pounds raised for charity

Wonder who paid for all his travelling and board

• Options
    RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭

I believe her that's the most plausible excuse I have ever heard image

• Options
    runner-manrunner-man ✭✭✭

So she suffers a panic attack, in a marathon full of runners, spectators, medical officials, even marshals and no one noticed. For which she plugs her smug face in a glossy magazine probably paid too. If she does get paid, lets hope it goes to the charity who had to suffer.

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

We had our annual town 10K last week (a good race, about 1000 runners, but still a small town fun race), and one woman was caught driving her car out to just short of 5K, parking up in the woods and starting from there. I mean, you don't even get a medal at this race - WTF???