Options

First time marathon

I am running London in April this year, and have been following the training programme off the VLM site, which has me building up to 22 miles but has me running 20 miles 4 times, before tapering down.  After reading lots on these forums, the Hal Higdon programmes come highly recommended and his programmes only have 20 miles planned in twice.  How many times should I aim to have run 20 plus miles before the big day, my furthest race is a half and my longest training run to date is 16.5 miles.

Thanks for any help

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    If you are following g a plan and it says 4 then stick with it. The more the merrier :) 
  • Options
    The argument about the upside and downside of more or less times running long has come and gone as many times as the seasons!

Stick with your plan now you've started it.
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    I did the London marathon advanced training plan last year and did 2x20 and 1x22. 4x20 seems excessive unless your someone doing big weekly mileage.  
  • Options
    Stick with the plan.  You can't choose bits out of one plan and blend them with another. It doesn't work that way. 
  • Options
    I think it depends on your speed- if you are fast, then 20 milers are a good idea, but if you are a slower runner ( like me -3:56 marathoner, at best), then the 20's take so long that they are a bit counterproductive, as you are wrecked for days after. I think that going by "time on feet" for slower runners is better, but there aren't many plans which work on that basis.

• Options
    I'm training for the London too, following the RealBuzz plan for beginners which has me running by time rather than distance. IIRC, the long runs go 130-140, 140-150, 160, 180, 200mins from next weekend so I'll only be running one 20 mile run between now and the actual race. I am a slow runner though ave 9:41 on my last big run.
    But, as others have mentioned, stick to the plan you've been working to as to change it now may throw things out of kilt
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I think the more long runs the better, as long as you don't injure yourself. But on the other hand, it's not the end of the world if you don't manage them all - you can still have a good race.

I did London last year as my first marathon, and only managed one 20 miler beforehand (in addition to one 19, and four that were around 15). I'm sure if I'd done more then I would have managed a better time, but I got round with only a couple of short walking breaks and enjoyed the experience on the whole.
  • Options
    Go out slower than you think, stay slower. Drink, eat and relax into it. You be fine
  • Options
    I'm using the hal beginners plan and I only have one 20 mile in it. But I have decent mileage midweek 
  • Options
    Thanks all, I've done 2X 20 miles so far , and did Bath half this weekend, finished in 2 hrs 11, so was fairly pleased with that. Although it did make me realise quite how long 26.2 miles actually is.