Options

When to take an energy gell

I'm doing my first half marathon at the start of October and am up to around 10 miles in training so far by which time I'm getting fairly tired. I've never used an energy gell before but am curious, especially as they give them out on the course around the 10 mile mark. Is the best time to take them when you're starting to feel tired or some time before that point if you can normally predict at what distance you'll normally start tiring? How long do they take to have any sort of effect?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I tend to take my first gel around 10km (+- 1hr) just before the water station. The second gel at around 15km (+-1.5hr), again before the water station. I don't usually take a third one. Maybe around the 2hr mark if you are stil some 15min from the finish,

I would strongly recommend to use a gel you are used to. Try diferent gels now and choose the one you like (or dislike the least!). Last thing you want is to try a new gel and makes you run to the toilet...

The time of the effect of the gel is not immediate, I reckon some 5-10min. It is not obvious, it is more of a case of feeling less tired than having energy boost. That is my experience at least.

Best of luck and importantly enjoy!
    5k: 25:33
    10k: 52:29
    HM: 1:56:29

45yr old bloke!
  • Options
    Gels are not really necessary for the half marathon distance. It's important to remain hydrated though, especially if it is hot, so arrive hydrated before the start, and take a drink at each drink station. I find that it is best to slow down with the drink, otherwise you may choke, or spill it all over yourself. I've just noticed that you said they give out gels at 10 miles. If you feel that you need one, ensure that they are the same as you have trained with, as advised by vitichris above. Good luck with your training and the race itself.
    I don't use gels myself and ran the Southampton Marathon in April without one.
  • Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. There's no need for additional energy consumption during a half marathon. Your body stores more than enough fuel. Hydration is, however, very important. If you are tiring in the latter stages, you may find a psychological advantage in taking in a gel - provided, of course, as others mentioned, that you have accustomed your stomach with it. 
  • Options
    Just a word of warning regarding suggesting no fuelling is necessary for a Half... my friend takes over three hours to run-walk a Half, so there are some circumstances where some amount of fuelling might be necessary - if you're going to be out on the course for a very long time, for example. Of course, I agree with the comments about hydration (without over-hydrating!).

I'm a 1:43 HM runner and I take one gel (or one glucose tablet) at about half way... although I suspect, as Sol2 suggested, this is more psychological than anything!
  • Options
    I decided to experiment with energy gels for some half marathons I have imminently coming up this month. Have previously just relied on water stations come race day over the last few years. I've been training with them on my long runs (1hr+) and taking them at 30min intervals. Plan on taking x3 max during my races, on assumption I finish them all <1hr45min. Not sure if it's just a placebo effect, but have noticed a difference. The lactic acid doesn't tend to build up as intensely during the latter stages and my recovery is better. I use the High5 energy gels in a variety of flavours.

I'd like to add, that of all the things I've tried and swear by for endurance events, beetroot juice trumps everything for me. I religiously drink the stuff leading up to events.
    PB's:

10K: 00:46:18
    Half Marathon: 01:33:42
    Full Marathon: 03:37:21

I adore metal music. And running. Preferably at the same time.
  • Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Just a word of warning regarding suggesting no fuelling is necessary for a Half... my friend takes over three hours to run-walk a Half, so there are some circumstances where some amount of fuelling might be necessary - if you're going to be out on the course for a very long time, for example. 
    At such low intensities, your friend is probably burning fat as fuel. Certainly no need to throw in a packet full of sugar! But if he/she is getting hungry out on the course, why not eat real food, such as granola bar or fruit roll ups or even real fruit? Easier to eat and easier on the stomach!
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    If you're our racing for 2 hours plus then I'd say gels can help as long as they agree with you. I take one roughly every 25-30 mins for the marathon so usually end up having 4 (5-10-15-20 miles). Always make sure I have water at every station. Even if its just a few sips and pour some on my head. 
  • Options
    I'm a 2.10 half runner. I usually take a Caffiene gel at around 45 minutes. I carry another regular gel with me but I only take it if I feel empty after another 45. 
    --
    https://bigrunnerslog.wordpress.com
  • Options
    Having said this if you've eaten/fueled well enough in the build up to the race, you may not need them. On average our bodies can hold around 2000 calories which is around the amount required to run a half. I think I take one for the psychological benefit and a nice caffiene hit to give me a concentration boost.
    --
    https://bigrunnerslog.wordpress.com
  • Options
    I did a half marathon over the weekend. I got to about 45mins in and decided to take one. Took another around 01:15. Finished 01:36:11, which is my 2nd best half to date so was pretty chuffed. I genuinely felt a lot stronger second half of the race and my split times backed this up as my pace increased.
    I didn't initially intend on taking one as had a good breakfast and preperation 2-3 hrs prior. But I felt I needed a kick so went by feel as opposed to simply taking one every 25-30 mins like they recommend. Agree with Jimbobello - it may well be a psychological benefit/hit to deter any spikes or when you are pushing for a PB.
    PB's:

10K: 00:46:18
    Half Marathon: 01:33:42
    Full Marathon: 03:37:21

I adore metal music. And running. Preferably at the same time.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I recently ran a 20 mile race as part of marathon prep so practiced my fuelling in the race. Ran the first 5 mile steady in 30 mins which is when I took my first gel and then ran the next 15 at goal marathon pace so obviously the intensity went up but took the next 2 at 10 and 15 miles. Finished strongly and ran 1.55 and managed to win. 

• Options
    I do not use gels because I simply do not believe in them. I have found drinking Water and sports drinks on course was enough to get through a marathon.
  • Options
    Gels have only been around for a few years, so back in the day,  we ran half marathons and marathons with just water. There were no energy drinks available either. I ran a 1.20 half and 3.12 marathon whilst in my forties with just water. I'm 71 now and ran the Southampton Marathon in April in 4.10, without the aid of gels or energy drinks.
    If you feel that gels help, then by all means use them. I have tried them during LSD training runs, but did not feel the benefit.
  • Options
    I don't think there's any need for gels on a half. 

No idea what the gel would do to prevent lactic building up ? Placebo effect ?
  • Options
    Anything below 2 hours is runnnable without a gel. Above 2h, I'd follow ML84's advice...
  • Options
    I must be the only one here that notices a difference in a half marathon! Glasgow yesterday, I took a gel 5 mins before the start, then one at 5 miles and one at 9. Gels should be taken before energy and hydration becomes an issue - and should never be used as a substitute for taking on fluids. I made sure I took on enough water at three of the drinks stations as well though, which is usually my downfall. 1st one was probably placebo, but the 2nd and 3rd especially I got a good response from and my last 2 miles were the quickest I ran on the way to a PB 1.28. Pretty sure getting my hydration and fuelling correct was reflected in my time. Works for me, but everyone is different! I don't buy into the "anything below 2 hours is runnable without a gel" argument. It's all about how much energy and calories are burned and how many carbs are required to maintain. The more effort you put in, the more energy you use, the more that energy needs replaced.
  • Options
    I think if you want to refuel for a half marathon, an isotonic drink would suffice. They usually provide isotonic dirnks in the half but never a gel if I am not mistaken. You'll do fine...
  • Options
    stu1970stu1970 ✭✭✭
    Didn't bother with one in the end. Continual supply of jelly babies at side of road kept me going. :)