Options

Pearls Of Wisdom

Comments

• Options
    that it doesn't need to be perfect weather to have a good run (for ages I never went outside if it was even slightly raining)

to get proper running shoes - had a few problems with shin splints when I first started which have now gone

• Options
    thought of another one - when i started i only went running at 6am or something stupid as thought everyone would laugh at me if they saw me attempting to run - I know now that generally people don't take any notice so can go whenever it fits in best with your day
  • Options
    Avoid dogma.

We live in a world without absolutes.

Take all training advice with a piece of salt.

Running is child's play.
  • Options
    That after you've been running for about 1hr and 20 mins, you start to feel really great.... (well, for about another 30mins or so).
  • Options
    1) immodium does help

2) the first 20mins are always going to be carp.

3) my PE teacher wasn't lying to me when I was 18 and asked her what the best exercise for bums and legs was, took me 5 years to try it out.

4) the more you run, the more you get to eat

5) vaseline is worth its weight in gold

6) never to forget I run for FUN.

7) sports physio actually hurts quite a lot and is not the gentle rub down I was expecting.
  • Options
    Car drivers cannot see me when I run.

Car drivers can see me when I cycle, but try to kill me. Even those drivers who stop or detour into the next county when approaching a horse's behind, will drive at 70 mph millimeteres away from me when I am on a cycle.
  • Options
    That it only takes three weeks or so to stop hurting just because you are running. After that it only hurts when you want it to (ie when you push it).

I would have had many less false starts where I gave up after a week if I had known how good it was going to feel...
  • Options
    that as soon as things are going right and you're up to a good speed and distance, you will get injured

you will you know

it's a conspiracy

and a heart rate monitor is worth it's weight in gold, after months of struggling and not being able to get past half an hour of running, I got a hrm, slowed down and ran my first half mara.

• Options
    Always put your socks on before your tracksters.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    That there are almost as many different ways to train as there are runners - it is not a 'one size fits all' sport and the type, frequency and intensity of training that works for one person may not necessarily work for another.
  • Options
    That running Hastings half seriously damages the knees!
  • Options
    Ladies can go to the toilet in the open air- don't worry if anyone sees you the likelihood of you seeing them again is miniscule - and as for them remembering your face........
  • Options
    Wish I'd known that ....

(1) You don't have to be a runner before joining a running club. I always put off going along because I couldn't run round the block without stopping 10 times. Eventually went along, joined the beginners group, lost 1.5 st, over the next few years have run some 10k races, run a few halves, ran London marathon this year, setting targets for next year....

(2) The fact that I was no good at running at school was the fault of the PE staff. They were only interested in those folk talented at cricket or rugby. I'm fitter (though fatter) at 40+ than I ever was at school. Can any teachers reading this think about actually teaching kids to run (maybe a jogging club?) rather than sending them off on a cross country run in the rain while the PE staff have a fag in the office? (sorry, rant over)
  • Options
    ....that you would not make progress by training for one race, doing virtually no training afterwards and only building up again when I decided to run the next one! Now that I've joined a running club and have run pretty well every week over the past year and have established a sound fitness base, my PB's have greatly reduced.
  • Options
    Don't let yourself get too obsessed with the marathon bug. I've always found that training to run faster is a lot more fun than training to run further.
  • Options
    Brown Bear, I am a teacher reading this who takes out a group of kids running twice a week before school. I also talk to them about how to build up running. Were you only allowed to run between 8.30a.m. and 4p.m. then?
  • Options
    I have learned to respect the humble cold and sore throat. I ran recently feeling a bit dodgy, hoped to blow away some cobwebs and feel better, ended up with something way more flu like and couldn't run for another week.
  • Options

That coaches with big reputations don't always know best.

That if you're training hard and getting nowhere, its far more likely that your training needs adjusting, than it is that you've reached your physical limits.

IMHO, most runners get stuck at a level far below their potential due to dogmatic training methods.

• Options
    That long slow running makes you good at long slow running. Introduce speedwork sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Do listen to your body - but don't be frightened of it. It's capable of taking on a lot more than you give it credit for, providing that you treat it with respect.

Don't be afraid to experiment - we are the sum of our experiences both good and bad.

Don't be afraid of failure - learn from it.

Read, listen and learn, but most importantly draw your own conclusions about what's best for you.

Never start a training session without knowing it's purpose.

You don't have to run a marathon to prove you are a runner
  • Options
    Barnsley Runner

My comments re:teachers are aimed at only those that I suffered at secondary school

Before that, I used to run, play football at cubs, etc. but at secondary school, I then had 7 years of PE teachers (supposedly sports professionals) telling 150 kids, 3 times per week, that apart from the 20 who were good at rugby /cricket (depending on season) that the remaining 130 kids were stupid and no good at sports. 30 wks to a year, 3 times per week, 7 years - get told that you're no good 600+ times when you're at an impressionable age, and you give up.

Angry with the dire physical education I got? Damn right I am.

In the last few years, I've run with people who have told me that walking is okay, that going 5 yds further than last week is a great achievement, that in sport I challenge myself on my own terms and I can vary them to suit fitness, mood, my own goals, etc.

I gained more in 1 year running with a club than I did in 7 years at school

So don't take my comments as a swipe at all teachers - just the ones I suffered. Eg, the Head of Dept spent at least 1 day per week practising his golf swing on the rugby pitch.

Must stop before I fall off my high horse...

BR, what you are doing is great, and hopefully will help prevent kids getting fat and unfit like I did, and also keep alive their interest in sport

• Options
    Agree with Minks and Bazza about dogma.

There's no single thing about training that I'd wish I'd known before, just the fact that you don't have to follow someone else's rigid plan. If you find out how the body works then you can do your own thing and still be successful.

But the biggest thing I'd wish I'd known before is how much I'd enjoy it, and what a natural high it gives me, and what it's done for my confidence. So, just wish I'd taken it up earlier.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Brown Bear, your comments remind me of the Brian Glover sports master football pitch scene in the movie Kes - incidently shot in Barnsley I believe. We had a master just like that. Fortunately for us he was replaced by a younger and truly inspirational sports master who opened our eyes to the possibilities of acheivement at all levels of ability.
  • Options
    Get Involved at a young age.

A 12 year old runner, been running for 2 years now, and it was jus the one-off 800m which started me. i won that, and have been running ever since.

If i was to give a tip to a beginner, it would be to get involved, join a running club, and don't be nervous about however good you are to start with, thats why you train. But don't overdo it like i did at the start!
  • Options
    Oh yeah, and also, you won't be the best to start with, but if you try, you'll definitely get up there.
  • Options
    Don't wear white sports bra and white top to run in the rain..... couldn't work out why i kept getting cars hooting at me until i got in and looked in the mirror!!!
  • Options
    all men are bastids
  • Options
    "Mind is everything, muscles, mere pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind"

I think that's an inspirational pearl of wisdom. Shame I can't lay claim to it, Paavo Nurmi did. But in any event a great favourite, gets better as you age.

The best I can do is keep off the concrete. Ten times the impact of grass according to the experts. Plays havoc with the knees.

Cheers then
    Harry