Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

Despite it getting a bit tougher most folks seem to still be well on course for a great run.

nelblade - all the best for the race and the op.

Joolska - I do love the Benedictus from The Armed Man though!

Right knee has now started being a bit sore like the left was. Hopefully it will similarly fade away but in the meantime have got a 2M road relay tomorrow at Nottingham Uni which might test it a little!

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

MtR: I think we're following the same schedule and mine says 20 with 14@ MP. It will be tough without a number on.

JAP: good to hear the hamstring problem's faded away. The 7@ HMP was the one I missed when I twisted my ankle. Don't think I'll be getting it back though; think Bath was enough of  HMP workout.

TR: It looks like you could be getting your timing just right this year.

RSalter: that's decent mileage for the last couple of days. Sounds like shins sorted itself if there was no reaction after the quicker pace today.

I did the 12 as ordered by P&D tonight. Fairly brisk pace averaged out @ 7.12m/m (73% HR); happy enough with that. Easy 7 tomorrow and as mention above, a tough one on Sunday evening. As I missed my 24 mile run two weeks ago I'm thinking of doing this 3 weeks out instead of the scheduled 22 miles; just a confidence thing really. Am I doing this a bit close to race day? Could 2 extra miles have a adverse effect this close?

• Options

NB Sorry to hear that, I'd go along with others and say that you should go for it, I really hope it works out for you and that you can continue running in future.

Glad others (JAP and SL) are recovering nicely.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Mr. Boat: I think you'd be fine with 24 3 weeks out. You might be sensible to make your LSR 2 weeks out slightly shorter than P&D suggest.

Barnsy: nope, it's the Armed Man we're doing. Last night's rehearsal has done nothing to convince me that it has any musical worth, but I dare say it will get a good crowd and prove profitable...

'Mixed grill' of reps last night: 4 x (1K, 90 secs rest, 800m, 90 secs rest). All under 4mins/km pace. Legs have clearly recovered fine from Bath and 4 days of easy running have done them the world of good (although I'll admit I was slightly wistfully thinking 'what if' as I rattled through the first km in 3.52 - if only my legs had felt that springy on Sunday!). Easy run this morning and then LSR (12-15) Sunday. Fingers crossed for Reading.
  • Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

MrB, the other question of course is, do you think the extra 2M will have any added benefit? If it is just for confidence, then as Jools says maybe just chop a couple from the following weeks LSR to balance.
    I think I am glad my P&D schedule says 22 this weekend rather than 20 w 14@MP, even if I will have a number pinned on for my training this weekend!

Jools, good to hear the legs are feeling bouncy so soon after Bath, hopefully you can keep them like that for Reading, just keep clear of ZaTTU at the start, I fear he may be doing a sub 5 min opening mile! image

TR, 5 weeks is still a long time to peak, I am sure it will be fine, you are due a year where things fall into place for the big day.

RS, tapering for Fleet, isn't that cheating? image

• Options

Bit of a catch-up chance for me. Yet another busy week at school but then we've just hit Excellent (the highest rating) in every category so I guess we need to keep it up! There's a massive Catwalk show this evening - huge event that raises over £20,000 with half for charity.

ZaTTu - really enjoying your posts and the anticipation of Reading (don't stop posting please!). Greatly looking forward to hearing how it goes (very well is my guess!) HH / Coro / Joolska likewise.
    Coro do you sleeep on flights?

PtB - nothing like nice new racing flats is there, especially when they are green?! Dog poo less nice though!

JH1 - just seen that session of yours. Awesome!!

Wardi / WTGY - good training going on despite tiredness 

JAP - good to hear hamstring is all ok.

Marigold - sounds like things are coming together very nicely

NeilMac - nice session

Joolska - nice reps session

TR - nice sessions. Yep, think that's probably my target. Will be interesting to see what happens in the summer, esp if it's true that Bideford was 90s-120s slower than true flat, and I know I could have gone quicker. I'm definitely aiming for a 74'xx HM in the summer as build-up to Berlin.

MtR - very nice pb's there and time equations. Are you aiming / hoping to get under 2h50 this time?

RSalter - good week there esp given the shin early on

Barnsy - hopefully all ok on right knee. Some softer surfaces maybe? Do you run in skins/tights? I sometimes find they put pressure on the knee which I never get in shorts.

MrBoat - sounds like a good one lined up for tomorrow

RununMan - well, my goal for Berlin is very much that ... but let's see how London goes first!

Interesting that you (RununMan) are also doing relatively high mileage off one run a day like me. I do wonder whether 70mpw on singles is more beneficial than the same mileage on doubles? There are benefits to both, but something tells me that the quality of doing it through singles makes it ultimately more beneficial?

Off to run the JohnAustin HM tomorrow. Will do it as part of a 21m training run. Plan is to run 13.1m @ around 6'30 then do 7-8m easy. However, coach has told me to stop at 18m if I'm tired from last Sunday because he has a big training week lined up. I might be unusual in not wanting a long taper. Haven't spoken about it to him yet but I'm hoping for a 10-14 day aggressive one rather than 3 weeks.

• Options

RW-H - for me its relatively simple. Doubles = Divorce!

80m done this wk, so i've peaked "mileage wise" hopefully not performance wise. Run today was out and back 5 at 7.45 then 5 at 6.30's (guess the elevation!). 

I'm plannning a extra long, long run tomorrow, usually do one run of about 24-25m (3hrs?) around this time.

Good luck to the racers this weekend.

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    RWH: 2:49:59 is the goal. But I'd be happy with an even paced race on the day - whatever the end result.

Just back from the local parkrun. 18:49 for 5th place this time. Felt easier than last week, but couldn't go faster.
  • Options
    MtR - just back from the local parkrun myself. Was giving out the position codes at the end. Nice to (almost) meet you.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Crikey - if they don't get control of that nuclear reactor, I suppose I could be using my London marathon place instead of Nagano after all.

Hard to tell how bad it is but with roofs being blown off buildings, it can't be that good.  We'll see, I suppose.  Best wishes to anyone affected more seriously.

• Options

I did 15.38 today for the hackney marshes park run. Fastest time this year. And won the race. May do it next week but have not decided as I am doing the cranleigh 21 the next day. Doing 18.6 miles tomorrow.

<a href="http://null/localiser/member.asp?sp=&v=7&MemNo=380046" title="Visit Filthyrich member profile">Filthyrich</a> why did you not run. Well done matr good run. Hope you get your target for the marathon.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5M easy. Right calf is a little tight after yesterday, so could be some quality time with the foam roller...

Tmap: things don't look good in Japan, do they? It's hard to imagine what it must be like there.
  • Options

GAWD - very nice time from you today (as usual). I'd have introduced myself but was my first time volunteering and didn't want to mess up! Didn't run today because my foot's been a bit sore so I've had a few days off. Plus had a wisdom tooth out yesterday. I'm going to miss the Finchley 20 tomorrow and just do an easy few miles instead, then back to proper training on Monday.

After swapping my cut-back week (about 45 miles) and full training week (about 70 miles) around I've only missed about 24 miles training in the 6 days I've had off, so hopefully it won't be too costly. A litle envious though of all the 'tired legs' comments I've seen this week. My legs are feeling like coiled springs at the moment - I'd prefer they were tired instead.

RSalter - wow, your Everest excursion sounds exciting. You asked my VLM target - still not quite sure... I'd love to do 2.39 but everything seems to be pointing to 2.42-ish. I might aim for 2.41.00 so that if I'm feeling good later in the race I'm still in with a chance of sub 2.40 and if I've gone too hard then I could maybe still hang in for 2.42.

• Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    MTR - Also back from a park run (Bushy). As soon as I set off my legs were heavy and lactic within 1st 200m so reeled it in as also have a duathlon tomorrow. Last mile was quickest for 17:50. Hope to go sub 17 within a month. I like the sound of your VLM target. I think I will go conservative this year and either do even splits or a little bit of a negative might be nice, overtaking people on Embankment.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Nice parkying folks !

MTR - you ran a good few y'day so tired legs today is fine.

JH1 - good work, hope the duathlon goes well.

RWH - keep some of those matches in reserve for race day, you had a tough week this week too.

JAP/MrB - I'm hoping to do a longer run tomorrow and then a couple of progressice 20s and these should help the peaking. 

I would have thought that 70 mpw would be better spread over singles, if you switch to doubles you then need more miles. But i've just done 2 months of doubles, and had 3 non running days/week, so whatever fits your lifestyle is optimum.

52M bagged on the steed, put a lots of hills and bigger gear work into the last 20M, tommorrows long run is going to be a weary grind. Only 2 more weekends of long ride and long run after this one though.

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    Quick shoe question: does anyone know if the bright green Adios are different in anyway to my bright red ones? Apart from the obvious. I've somehow managed to wear all the pimply bits off of the front.of mine after only 120 miles.....just had a quick look and the sole pattern looks different.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Green shoes are scientifically slightly quicker than red ones, when used with spangly laces.  I think that's where I went wrong in Barca.  Yellow shoes, with yellow, non-spangly laces.

Went on an 8-miler, first since Barca.  Felt quite sore still.  Amused to see, however, that I am currently 9th on the V40 UK marathon rankings on Power of 10 - heh heh! 

Not too convinced about the japanese situation - seems a little optimistic to say that it's good that the roof blew off because it's reduced the pressure.  That sounds a bit like praising the benefits to one's blood pressure of being stabbed.  Still, what do I know.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

MrB, the green and red adios certainly look slightly different, although it looks like it is just the very bottom layer of the sole so would guess it would make no difference other than to grip possibly. I did have to get the grren ones out of their box to check though, so no true knowledge here ( am sure a real shoe expert will be along soon image). However, the sole on the green ones does appear to be a cross between the soles of the adizero aces & pros, both of which I have worn without issues so hopefully it should all be good.

Very pleasant 10M for me this morning. Even took the hat and gloves off after 4M! Kept it nice and easy as I thought the legs would appreciate it after last night. Given how they felt, not sure I needed to bother, but did anyway. Just need to decide on a plan for the Finchley 20 tomorrow now, or I might just make it up on the fly! image

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    JAP: thanks for that. I'm sure I will be getting some in the next couple of weeks. On the colour: I think the ladies version look a bit better in green as there's also a bit of red to break up all that green. Good luck tomorrow. I'd have probably done the same as you and gone out today anyway; rest days are over rated image
  • Options

Tmap re shoes lol image

Some great park running above. GAWD that's shifting!

TR - the next 3 weeks will be my peak-intensity training of the whole 6 months!! There's some seriously good sessions lined up. I'm in good hands though, and the 2-week taper should be plenty of time for getting the matches race-ready.

• Options

so last 2 weeks

2 weeks ago

Hackney marshes park run 16.40 26 feb

Roding Valley half marathon very hilly  71.08 27 feb course best for me

week ago

Hackney marsehs park run 15.52 5th March

Bath half marathon 68.51 equalled my p.b 6th march

This weekend

Hackney marsehs park run 15.38 12 March

Next weekend

Hackney marsehs park run 19th March

Cranleigh 21 20th March.

• Options

Crab- Oh it's not new I can assure you I do the same thing every year.
    This year I have realised that trying to run 6/7 days a week is not for me anymore. I got a steady build up of calf soreness which made every run uncomfortable, and at the same time was aware that my running wasn't improving anymore than when I stuck to 3 runs a week with swimming and cycling
    . As soon as I went out on my bike last Sunday the run on Monday was great. My conclusion is that my body has altered over the last 10 years to that of a triathlete and a few months intensive running isn't going to reverse that. I just have to accept that as a result I am quite capable of churning out sub 3.15's but sub 3's aren't' necessarily on the cards.

Anybody doing Stafford tomorrow I will be ambling round sans watch again.

• Options

Good pedalling TR, and nice ranking TMap.

Good numbers Bertie. What's the main target race?

Just back in from a pleasining Hadd sub-LT 10m at 6:58m/m, no dog turds, so feeling more chipper now. And managed to catch last 10 minutes of Italy beating France, very uplifting stuff. they deserve a win or two this 6N, 'cos apart from the England (mis)match they've been pretty tough to play against.

Good luck anyone racing tomorrow.

• Options

Hail Hail

A couple of days with no internet, so I apologise to wtgy for cloggin up his fb newsfeed.  Again.

Little to report apart from lots of cold wet snow.  I guess the Japanese could well have different white stuff coming out of the sky soon enough.

Best wishes nelblade

Very nice pr-ing folks.

Good luck to any racers this weekend.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Some good park running going on this morning

I did 25.8 at 6.45 this morning and met 3HW(?) as we are both taking part in a bit of research at St Marys. Legs feel pretty fine for the effort but I still had to stop and stretch out for cramp at 25.4 miles
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭

Snow! Short sleeves and sunglasses for me this morning. 23M off-road in 2:24; a bit quicker than the same run last year which I also did 1 week before Reading (still no number here).  

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    My number arrived today, Coro.

Excellent parkrunning, thread!
  • Options
    Yep that was me Gobi, pleasure to meet you mate.

I managed 6:49s for the same distance (25.81M in 2:56:09), I think still comfortably sub 3 had the distance been correct. Gobi made it look significantly easier than me though.

These tights are, um... tight! Be glad you escaped with a spot of ultrasound!

Apologies for the lack of a proper readback, off out to pizza express with the missus shortly but I can confirm the green adizero range are the way forward, mine were firing on all cylinders again this morning...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

good stuff PtB - was that to derive a non drift HR ? is that MP now then ? or are you aiming sub3 again ?

Coro - top work, faster than last yr too.

gobi, 3HW - nice ones, but 25.8 ? whats that all about ? wheres the 0.4 extra ?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL 3HW I have been running around since getting home :¬) I think I would have preferred the ultrasound on my hamstrings though :¬)