Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that, TR.  You'll be back next year, I hope!

Tough day at the road relays today, but life has been horribly stressful this last week and I suspect my heart simply wasn't in it.  Marathon pace for the 5.3M, the only saving grace being that I felt aerobically absolutely fine.  Nice to see a few from the thread.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

selbs - fingers crossed for you; the uncertainty is never nice, but as CD said......

TR - I'm really sorry to hear that but (obviously) your health is more important than any race. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it and get back to it asap.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

PP -- your standards are high, nice 5M.

coro... trademarkimage

running eye -- I don't know what your target is for the race in 5 weeks. If you sneak a sub-3 but your true race pace is (say) sub-2:45, that might be OK. It's just a long steady run. If it's a bit close to your target though, then for sure it would compromise you. But don't risk flaring up the injury -- I did a low-key marathon 2 weeks after VLM once with a dodgy shin and regretted it for months.

On great form there selbs, good luck with the family situation too.

Hope you figure out what's wrong TR, terrible shame to miss this one but that doesn't mean it's all over! You'll have years ahead when the littl'un no longer needs ferrying to cricket matches, after all...

I'm in the unusual situation of not knowing quite what my target is. After the high mileage stuff, I know my peak speed is pretty poor, but again this week I had a sign that I'm in surprisingly good shape (which is, after all, what I wanted to happen): I did 6M steady, then 10km@6:05/M (aiming for 2:40 MP). And then a couple more, so 14M for the day. Now I've done about 6M @ MP every year like that since 2013 1 week out, and this time my heart rate was notably low (avg 145 bpm, 880 beats/M). Despite a notable breeze. A breakthrough in running economy? Who knows. So should I be setting off at PB pace next week? Well I don't know, maybe the legs will cry foul after a bit citing lack of tempo work. But maybe a close sub-2:40 is feasible this year after all... I'll just have to live and learn.

Ryan Snell #864  A) Sub 2:30  B) PB (2:34:20)
    TippTop #754 (I think) - A) keep up with Dachs and unleash my stunning sprint finish up The Mall B) Just get it done and go to the pub
    CD #773 - I'll put down my usual sub 2:40 target, but as long as I finish without running like a numpty I'll be OK with that.  If that turns out to be 2:4X then so be it.
    PhilPub #22011 A) 2:58:59 B) 2:59:00 C) 2:59:01
    Dachs #1272 - A) 2:35 B) 2:37 C) 2:39:59
    The Jimbob #30926 A) 2.59.59 B) sub3.04.12sb C) sub3.05.22cb
    Joolska #210 (A) 2.46.59 or better; (B) 2.47.59; (C) 2.48.59
    Selbs (A) sub 2:40 (B) PB (C) sub 2:45
    CharlieW #762 (A) 2:39:59 (B) 2:42:00 (C) 2:44:59

• Options
    CW - Do you plan to run to HR or pace next Sunday? I think that if you can simply run your normal marathon HR then the pace should take care of itself.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

thats no good to hear TR, really hope you get to the bottom of whatever is wrong and get well/back to it for another year.

CW your targets are identical to mine..... which makes me think mine are a bit ambitious.

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Just checking in to say I hope you all have a great taper.  I'm writing with a fair bit of sadness and nostalgia as I really wish I were running next week but such is life and there are more important things.  Annoyingly, just as I was starting to build back into running after 3 months of misery, some total d*ck elbow barged me on Regent's Canal on Wednesday just after I'd started a fartlek. I was probably running 525 miling and am pretty fragile, he was probably struggling to 925s and much as I hate to be uncharitable could hardly be described similarly. It was totally malicious - winded me but didn't notice the total agony till I stopped later. Couldn't breathe deeply at all. Have probably cracked a rib. So enforced non-running since (though I *might* try tomorrow, we'll see).  Hope to catch you at the Red Lion all the same...

• Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭

Padams - congratulations - I can understand why a 100 miler is no longer on the agenda.

TR - really sorry you aren't going to keep the streak alive. I hope the docs can work out what is wrong and you come back stronger next year.

Lev - sorry to hear about the idiot and subsequent rib injury.

Dan - I agree with the millionth runner campaign being bollox - but you know these companies - any angle to sell a few more t-shirts! image

• Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭

TippTop #754 (I think) - A) keep up with Dachs and unleash my stunning sprint finish up The Mall B) Just get it done and go to the pub
    CD #773 - I'll put down my usual sub 2:40 target, but as long as I finish without running like a numpty I'll be OK with that.  If that turns out to be 2:4X then so be it.
    TickTock #30655 (A) 2:54:59 (B) 2:57:29 (C) 2:59:59

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

TR - Nooo! You deserve your own Sub-3 London Marafun commemorative plate. Saying that, it's not the end of an era I'm sure. Just a hiatus and you'll come back stronger. You're my aerobic monster hero!

Lev - Ar$e! Bloody hell, lemme buy you a pint.  (( ))

Good to catch up with Jools at the relays on Saturday. Also spotted Race Jase flying home on his leg. I repeated my billing for the A team and just about managed to not embarrass myself, not losing any places and making a contribution to the team finishing 12th overall, a solid result after a shaky start since our first leg guy pulled a hamstring. I ran half a minute slower than this time last year, a little disappointing but looking at it objectively I just haven't done anything like the mileage of this time last year. On the other hand, I'm healthy, not injured and looking forward to pacing duties next week. 6:50/m is feeling a lot more fun than 5:2x/m at the moment, but that suits me!

Did a quick recce of the course this morning in glorious sunshine.  Started at the gates of Greenwich Park, took in all three starts and jogged through Charlton and Woolwich and back through the park. Many yellow road warning signs and a few barriers popping up. Getting serious now.  image

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - sorry to hear that, really hope you'll make a comeback and we'll see you at the Red Lion with another 2:5x (or better!) in the future.

Lev - that's really annoying, especially if it was done intentionally. Hope it's healed up and you can get back into it.

PP - well done at the relays, reminds me to have a look at the results.

Nice list forming for Sunday. I won't be able to watch it live as I'll be on my way back from a stag do, but will attempt to not find out the result until I get home to watch it in the afternoon.

Good weekend for me. Saturday was the first track fixture of the season, 5000m for me. My mate and I agreed to go for a time as we expected the opposition wouldn't be very strong (correct assumption), he particularly wanted the club reconrd of 15:23. First lap was a bit quick (71s), then we settled into about 74s, taking one lap each in the lead. Don't have all the splits, but 3k was about 9:13, so on pace. I was struggling a bit from about 3.5k onwards and we were dropping off the pace a bit. With 600m to go I couldn't hang on any more and my mate accelerated away - he must have done about 67s for the last lap as I finished with 15:30.8 and he was 15:21. Bit annoying to not break 15:30, but still a PB which was pleasing considering I've been focusing on endurance and conditions weren't great - cold and bit of a breeze. Also the track was damp from the earlier rain and I could feel my feet slipping slightly on each stride - was tempted to wear spikes but haven't worn them since last summer or for anything longer than 3000m so didn't want to risk it.

About 18M yesterday in about 2 hours - Garmin died after 2M (forgot to charge) so no idea on splits or accurate distance/pace, but the first 2M were 6:4x and it felt like I got a bit faster at the end, feeling pretty comfortable throughout.

Then had a great pub lunch - massive roast and sticky toffee pudding!

• Options

TickTock #30655 (A) 2:54:59 (B) 2:57:29 (C) 2:59:59
    Muss #31767 (A) 2:37:19 dreaming (B) Sub 2:40 (C) Sub 2:45

NIce 18 Padams and amazing 5000 - tantalisingly close - well earned roast I reckon

PP decent run at relays well done

8 weeks training block finished yesterday 952 miles ave pace 07:26 . I'm going to enjoy this taper  

• Options

Morning,

Padams - Massive congratulations to you and Mrs. Padams, the sleep deprivation a new born brings will be good training for a 100miler.

Tr - Hope the docs get to the bottom of it.

Selbs - That's a storming run nice to see you in such good shape.

Lev - Shit news mate see you in the red lion.

nice to see a Coro 10 getting an airing.

PP - Well done at the relays.

Jools - sounds like a tough day at the road relays.

RB - Sounds like a shambles at Manchester Marathon

CW - I'm amazed you allow yourself so much mental anguish before an endurance event, how much energy are you wasting, probably enough to negate the DIY trainer surgery. image

For those that don't know 2 weeks ago my wife gave birth to a healthy boy. It's been absolute mayhem with my 8 and 6 year old off on half term, some semblance of sanity is returning (or I'm just back at work where I can ignore it all)

I have no target for London other than to ease myself round and then sink a few beers in the red lion.

• Options
    Lev - Ouch!! Hope you heal soon.

PhilP - Nice relaying.

SL - Huge congrats on number 3

107 @ 6:57 last week. Started slowing doen and cutting bac the miles from Thurs onwards. Felt wrecked during last week so hopefully got it just right. Ended up with 878 at somewhere around 7:05 over 8 weeks.

I'll do my final marathon HR test tomorrow on flat ground which will hopefully give me a better idea of whether 2:29 is possible or not. All the number ls suggest that I'm close but need decent conditions and the long range weather is very changeable at the moment.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

Padams - Congrats on the pending new arrival news and a very nice 5k at the weekend to boot!

SL - Awesome news about the 3rd arrival image

TR - Really sorry to hear you're having to step off the London train this year, but you know when you're not right in yourself. Hope you can get to the bottom of it, recover and rebuild for a triumphant return in 2017

Lev - That's f'ing sh*t luck, hoping it doesn't effect your fitness and you can get back out on the running again ASAP.

TT - Glad you feel you are on the return, might be in your vicinity on the course come Sunday

CW - Sounding very promising for Sunday, you have nothing to lose by giving it full beans, could be your finest hour image

PP - A very solid 5 mile race, you have high standards these days! 

Dachs - Got fingers crossed you get over the bug, similar to TT I think we might be seeing each other on the way to the Red Lion, unless my taper performs some sort of miracle...

Coro - Textbook image

Dan - Would have loved to see what Mossad-style move you pulled on the oik

Selbs - You're in good shape it seems, training has panned out fairly well this year taking all things into consideration

Wardi - Your lurgy certainly has drawn itself out, maybe your immune system was a bit compromised post Barcalona which really let it take hold... hope you get over it soon as the weather warms up (on hold this week!)

Ryan - Your pace/HR stats on Strava are impressive, looking forward to seeing what you can do in London. I suspect you will be off up the road infront of me however!

Congrats to Running Bhoy and Tom13 for excellent runs at Manchester too.

Had a funny last week of proper training before the taper. Found my heart rate creeping up in my easy runs, whereas before it had stayed pretty consistent (even as I sped up a bit as my legs freed themselves up). Granted it was my 3rd 100M week in a row, so fatigue was likely a factor too, but I go the impression that something else (maybe viral) was acting too. A midweek 70min steady came out at 6:16/M but HR was averaging 162, legs felt fine but the engine wasn't fully firing. I backing off the volume in the 2nd half of the week. A second 70min steady on Saturday yielded 6:14/M/161bpm and I felt a little better. Got some Iron/vitC tablets on Friday as a precaution, not got time to get it tested before race day. It can't hurt to take them, but realise it's a bit late for any noticable benefits (if any).

So onwards into the taper, not got much idea what I can run come Sunday, a PB would be nice (02:32:52), faster towards sub 2:30 seems a diminishing prospect IMO. I'm planning to do a progressive HR test on the track on Wednesday to give me some idea what MP could be. 

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Al_P - whatever about Dachs, at that pace you'll be up the road from me. Hopefully it is/was just a bit of fatigue and you'll be fine for Sunday.

Lev_ - that sucks! No idea what somebody would hope to achieve by that; totally pointless!

Padams - congrats on the 5000 pb! Nice 18m too.

I had the rare occurrence of having a second quality session in one week that went well on Saturday (obviously too little too late for Sunday, but a start for going forward) - one of my 'hills+stuff' sessions: 30mins steady, then 1.25m @ 5:24, 90s recovery, 10 x 280m hills hard, straight off the last one into: 2m @ 6:11, 1m @ 5:53, 1m+ @ 5:33.

The best judgement of my condition was not the run, but the fact that I've been completely wiped out since. I guess it's a start that I at least managed to put that much effort into a session. No idea what will happen Sunday, but I do think a 2:34:xx is a very best case scenario given how I feel at the moment.

• Options

HH

Congrats SL - and a sensible plan.

TR - keep that orange singlet - (in the words of Arnie) you'll be back.  Find something else to keep the tubs off.

Running Eye - dinnae listen to them!  A sensible sub3 will NOT compromise a target race 4 weeks out.  Start off at 6.45s, see how you feel at HW, if the ITB is flaring up, ease it back and jog home, you'll have a good sense of holding back early on - nowt wrong with that plan, plus you've earned a few beers.

• Options

Greetings all.  I haven't posted here in a long time but wanted to wish you all well for London.  I can never keep up enough to offer input, but enjoy following the everyday stories of running folk- makes me feel almost normal!

As thoughts turn to pacing I had a look at my times from Berlin last year.  I hadn't paid much attention to this before but looking now there is a very clear lesson: if you want to pass 800 people from 5K to the end, then run close to even splits, and make the first 5K your slowest.  http://runperf.com/en/event/bmw_berlin_marathon_2015/marathon/results/12180

My two best (ie best return on training, and most comfortable, not fastest) runs in 20 years have come from exactly this approach. Easier said than done of course. 

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Padams, congrats on the pb in not even the best conditions at the 5,000. With the fast short distance speed, and bit of ultra training, pity you aren't doing London this weekend as you would fly round!

SL - congrats on the 3rd.  Crazy stuff with the 8 and 6 year old already image  Looks like a few people fancy sub 240.. maybe  u could do some fun pacing duties then get bought a lot of beer at the red lion!!

TT sounds promising/right direction at least.

Lev, that is rubbish that is.  Hope feel better soon.

Al_P a pb is always good, especially at your speed!

Well back down to earth for me, as I managed 3 miles (out of 6) at same speed approx. as Saturday when I did more like 6 out of 12 around 5:45-50m/m pace.  Today it was at a completely unsustainable HR approaching 10km effort and I felt rubbish.  Saturday I felt I could have run 5:45-50m/m for a half marathon. Hope I'm not coming down with something (was at a 4 year old bday party in weekend as well, and spent a good 1.5 hours in a car getting there and back with a 3 year old who was vomiting last night and coughing/spluttering in the car....).  Could just be that I have had too much beer and food over the course of the weekend as well and not enough sleep catching up with me.  Or taper madness...  time will tell!

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Thanks for the sympathy all, much appreciated. Have been back on the XT (oh fun) and might try a run tomorrow. Still feeling quite beat up though. 

Really excited for Sunday, even though I'll just be cheering you all on from the sidelines. Hope taper fever isn't hitting too hard. 

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

SL - massive congrats, enjoy London and particularly the beers afterwards!

RyanS - hope all that hard work pays off, you've definitely earned a good result.

Al_P - lots of MP in there, once you're rested it will feel easy.

TT - impressive session. Will be interesting to see how the marathon goes with the different build-up.

selbs - standard taperflu, you'll be fine next weekend. Not sure I would fly round London, the 5000m PB was old and needed some revision, and whilst I think my endurance is decent at the moment I don't think I've got the speed endurance to run fast for 2.5 hours. Will find out to some extent at MK though!

Various work/household jobs this evening so no running, but works well with the relatively tough weekend anyway, and should feel good for some intervals tomorrow.

• Options
    Rather shamefacedly dropping in after not posting for many months. Been keeping up with some on FB, but I know it's not the same! So sorry to see bad news from Wardi, TR and Lev.

Good to see others going well and particularly good news from Padams and SL.

My training has been pretty uneventful. Main concern is lack of races - only one poor 10k in February which turned out at about MP pace. (Cross country season was better.) I've basically done the scheduled numbers with average mileage of about 66m/w, which is my highest but never really feeling that the fitness is showing. Guess I'll just have to trust the training and set out with a view to PB pace and see how things go.
  • Options

Tis the season for the all of us creepy crawlies to crawl out from the dark places.
    Wishing all you heroes all the fantastic fortunes and phenomenal results that you deserve. Sorry to hear that stalwart TR has had to pull out, amazing to see the predictions that Jools is now anticipating. (Don't trip up this week).
    Fantastic results from Padams already. I don't know where you found the energy with all that running.

Personally, I'm only doing one or two runs a week now, but enjoying them (8m/m). Biking is going really well, helped by the effing decent hills out the back door. Swimming is now possible. That's major league improvement. I'm enjoying training, but it's to complete, not compete.

Looking forward to Sunday. I'll be there in spirit.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Blimey, is it 2008 again?!  image

Speaking of old times, I've not posted any food for a while.  With apologies to those carb-depleting, I thought I'd share this evening's dessert, as inspiration for carb-loading. A bit early perhaps. I ran out of yoghurt so I knocked up some pancakes instead, and made them interesting with the help of banana, honey and toasted almonds. 

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1469/26511031855_48e703bd6a_c.jpg

• Options

2008? You'll need to remind me.

As we were.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

2008 involved Lillywhites, IIRC.  Even I looked younger in 2008.  No grey hairs image

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭

As we were indeed....I can feel a tear of nostalgia welling up

Pictures of carbs is not cool. Not sure why I put myself through these 3 days, makes absolutely no difference I'm sure.   

I see that 2:24 as an M40 won you $10,000 at Boston yesterday....not a bad pay day. 2:29 as 1st F got you $150,000. It was an odd race, 3 people at Brighton were quicker than the 1st M.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

RS -- I'm going to run to pace not HR, because I've never run a marathon with a HRM before so I don't have a 'normal'. I'm going to keep an eye on it and learn, though.

selbs -- maybe we're _both_ being ambitious! You're testing yourself at faster than MP though, so it's likely to be tough. (See below, was for me today.)

PP -- nice one in the relays, and like your evocative mention of the road closure signs going up. And hmmm... carbo load starts on Thurs for me. I'm being a bit Atkins right now, just to stay skinny on my seriously-reduced taper mileage.

Padams -- excellent 5000m there.

Lev_ -- I failed to take in your story previously. Nooo!

Muss -- incredible training block. Taper well.

SL -- congratulations! See you for head-wetting detail at the pub.

Al_P -- hope you're in full form for the race. I'm in self-imposed quarantine in a distance room at work, avoiding a guy with a lurgy who sits behind my usual desk.

Welcome back OS, CRAB, Blisters &  CL (probably finish near you again).

I had a minor panic on Sunday when I found a tight spot in my calf, which I massaged deeply and painfully after a couple of wines in the evening; all yesterday it was feeling a bit tender from that, but today when I ran on it it was fine. Into my usual routine of little faster-than-MP tempos round the park now. Today's was 2M@5:56/M, which was very comfortable breathing & HR-wise, but didn't feel sustainable in my quads. Whereas 6:05/M for 6M was fine on Sat, so it must be the right ballpark.

Inevitably I've started watching the weather forecast: cool but a bit of a NW wind, which can't help, even if we do have the shelter of the city and each other.

• Options

2008 you say......them were the days image

Looking forward to catching up will all in the champ tent and Red Lion, taper well my friends!

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

SL - great news; Lev/TR - less so image

2008? Bloody well hope not; I ran 3:22 that day (well, walked a fair bit too!). Not my worst VLM by any stretch though. 

Will be at the expo all week, hawking from the Tribesports stand (no 174), then trying to convince them to let me into the champs tent on Sunday. Then Red Lion before 1pm I hope. At least they don't sub-contract the baggage to the Manchester Maraton team. 

First one gets them in. Marders/Marigold, don't forget your wallets.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    2008...world beating I recall. Now 2007 was the one......scorchio.

I will pick up TR's bat as my return to London since 07. 5 weeks out since 1 Feb has put on the kibosh on any sub 3 ambitions, just will be happy to get to finish in one happy smiling piece.

GLA