Options

British 10K London Run

As this race has not improved at all over the last 5 years and still manages to overcharge and alienate its "customers", is anyone thinking of turning up without a number and running for nothing? Can it be done?

Comments

• Options
    Great idea, lets form a RW posse, what's the worst they can do, rugbt tackle us before the finish line.
  • Options
    Apparently they have huge fences at the start! Prob made of real gold going by the entry fee
  • Options
    But surely you should be grateful to be allowed to enter. It's not merely the London 10k, it's the British 10k ;0)
  • Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
  • Options
    What do you hope to achieve by 'bandit running' the race ? You'll only make it worse for the runners that have paid.

From past years they run out of water and medals - so any extra runners just make it worse.

Ok - so its been a cack race in the past - lets not make it worse for the poor s*ds that have coughed up eh ?
  • Options
    Has anyone got the race pack yet? I've not had one and the race is only a week away!
  • Options
    I threw this open for debate. My normal stance is never to suggest entering a race without a number. It isn't fair on those that have paid. I have ran some fantastic races, managed by honest & committed people, for probably little profit. Take the Hemmel Hempstead pre Marathon Training runs. £5 gets you a red ribbon to pin on, marshalls, drinks, and great food and drink at the end. Anyone could run this without paying, and they don't. The reason is because the correct intention is there, the organisers truly care about running.
    As for this race, it's an overblown, over marketed, over priced and under organised race. A poor introduction to anyone who is starting out running.
    If I take my own water, and don't take a medal, am I making a point without being immoral?
  • Options
    No you're not chris - you're just getting in the way of other runners.
  • Options
    Hi Paul... I have not got my race pack either and I can have not had a response to any of my emails I sent to runnersworld.

So I have one of those dumb sh*t who have paid and still might have to run without a number.

This is my first race and this experience is really putting me off :(
  • Options
    Donna - don't worry about it - if you use the forums on here and check out races beforehand you can find some great races - and they'll be a hell of a lot cheaper to enter too.

95% of races are really well organised. Judging by the past history - this is firmly in the 5% category though.

Just run and enjoy the day, and then look for a proper 10k to do.

I wouldn't email runnersworld though - this race isn't anything to do with them.
  • Options
    Donna - if it's any consolation you're not missing much with the race pack - the t-shirt is rubbish, and the booklet doesn't give you any info that isn't on the website. I'm sure you'll be fine without the number.

This is my first race too, but I agree with Cougie - don't be put off by their pathetic lack of organisation. Good luck on Sunday!
  • Options
    Thanks guys... I will definitely research the race first next time !

I am worried I'll go all the way there, take hours to find an offical to only get told I can't join in :(

Never mind ..live and learn !
  • Options
    FYI.. I found this link on the British 10K London Run's site which tells you if you are entered:

http://racepayment.mirrorservers.co.uk/thebritish10klondon/search_entry.asp

• Options
    I don't know if this helps anyone. We are a charity with 3 spare places for the event. Frustratingly I have 3 race packs on my desk which I am happy to send out to people - we could not sell the places and the packs are of no use to us without runners. I will need to enter names on the official race website which I am still able to do, even though it said will close on Friday 23rd.

Not sure if I am supposed to put my phone number on here as a means of contact?????

Happy to help fellow runners.
  • Options
    I would love to run in one of the spaces you have, not had a race pack myself. You can email me for my details
  • Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Why not have a look at this I found...

www.british10kcomplaints.org
  • Options
    Paul. Happy to email you, but how? Have tried clicking on the email member and it says private.
  • Options
    Sorry, pixelbunnies@googlemail.com
  • Options
    I only applied for this last Monday (19th) - a fact that is confirmed by the website but also haven't got my pack yet. This is my second race - the first being the Capital 10k which was a bit of a disaster - due to the heat I walked 2k. Don't want to take a pack from Nevis Bear though as I've already paid! I like the bit on the ''help'' section of website that tells you to write to them and you'll be answered in THREE WORKING WEEKS. Nightmare!
  • Options
    My friend and I haven't received our race packs either for this Sunday and we registered on 7th May. Our names are on website when I checked to see our status. I have wrote to them, but as it says I probably won't hear anything until 3 weeks time. I also have to travel quite a distance and don't really want to be turned away as this is my first 10k race. If anyone has any race packs they could send us, that would be great, but I can't afford to pay again. This whole event is really badly organised.
  • Options
    To Nevis Bear, I would be interested in 2 of your race packs as I really can't see me receiving mine in time for Sunday. Would you need payment for these though, as I can't afford to pay £29 again. Thanx
  • Options
    Nevis Bear - do you still have any race packs left? I'm desperate!!
  • Options
    Plus I don't mind paying...!
  • Options
    Have you clicked on the email member 'envelope' next to her name?
  • Options
    I have but it says her details are private. Not sure what to do now... time is running out. And i just want to know if i'm doing the run or not. Have had an invitation to a quarter final knees-up for the footie on Saturday evening, so i need to know whether i can drink heavily or not!
  • Options
    On a different note - applied last Monday and got pack through today. Correct postage and everthing. Hooray!
  • Options
    Debs. Been out of the office for a couple of days so sorry for delay in replying. Have already sent out the 3 packs we had so can't help on that one I'm afraid. I wish you well with somehow getting hold of your race pack. Our charity ones only had a number, pins and a booklet. No idea what happened to promised T shirts????
  • Options
    Sorry to sound so negative but it sounds like the organisation of this race has not improved one bit since last year, i hope i am wrong.

I pledged never to run it again and i am keeping to that.

:¬(

• Options
    We've contacted the race organiser and he has assured us that the last batch of race packs were sent out first class on Tuesday. If for any reason you do not receive your race number by Saturday 1st July there will be a help desk on race morning located in at the baggage bays in Waterloo Place, London SW1Y.

The help desk will be located on the east side of the central memorial in Waterloo Place facing the Institue of Directors. The help desk will be open at 8:00am until 9:15am. if you entered online please bring proof of entry with you.