Options

Liverpool Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    I've mailed them.
  • Options
    OK, I picked the one for Kensington and Fairfield 'cos my FIL lives there.
  • Options
    Good on yerz! Now we need to know what they say.

For the record, I have done a little more research. MP's will not be able to help... and local councillors will only respond to their own constituents requests.

The requests to Liverpool Councillors will need to come from liverpool residents if they are to be acknowledged. It is not advisable to send loads of random emails to our councillors as this will undermine what we are trying to achieve...

Full marks for trying though Redhead - im just not expecting them to reply! We will see what info me & cougs get back.

• Options
    Alan thanks for responding.

Please give us an idea of timescales that we need to work towards - who needs to commit to what when etc..

If a Liverpool 2008 Mara was to be tagged on to the World Fire Fighters games then what exactly is required to make it a mass even for thousands?

What is needed in terms of sponsorship to get the event off the ground?

• Options
    With regard to time scale I would suggest that formal agreement is reached / needed by early in the new year with regard to staging the event. This would involve full Local (Council) Authority support, including the clear and unequivocal support of the Safety Advisory Goup (Emergency Services, Highways, Health and Safety, etc.) This will be pivotal to ANY development beyond this point. Without it there is no event. They would have to assess and review all aspects of the event and until they consider it 'safe' will not undertake any involvement. The whole process of assessment is likely to take a year anyway! This is the most difficult part and is relevant to any road race event - particularly in Liverpool. After that then I would look at the commercial issues relating to the cost implications of staging the event and set about raising appropriate sponsorship! This would need to be in place by August 2007 so ther is a twelve month window to promote the event is available thereby removing any doubt about the legitimacy of the race. I think it is possible to put this on but the success of the event (as with other main Liverpool events) is being determined by Political and Local Authority views.
  • Options
    Perhaps if RL had been a bit more professional in staging races and dealing with the all the above authorities in the past, then the maybe the council and others would be more than happy to back a Marathon in 2008.

But as you can see from the statement below, they have been less than impressed in the past. So, therefore, don’t be surprised if they are reluctant to acquiesce to any future approaches made by RL.

Briefing Note to Liverpool City Council Executive Member
    SUBJECT: ‘SANTA DASH’SPECIAL EVENT
    DATE: 21st NOVEMBER 2005

Item 4: Professionalism of this Event Organiser. LCC have historically had issue with this event organizer, arising from late / poor planning, late /non-payment of debts, unwillingness to answer queries and complaints, lack of prior consultation and so on.

Source: www.liverpool.gov.uk

• Options
    Moving forward. Alan some of us will give you our full support for this Marathon no matter what has happened or been said in the past.

• Options
    Mr H - Rearrange these words….

Horse.....dead.....flogging......a.....your

• Options
    Ydrib, you seem to have a major downer on runliverpool for some reason. I except everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

However, we have heard all the comments before and I don't think them being regurgitate every week is going to help us all get a Liverpool Marathon in 2008.

I don’t see anyone else stepping up to the plate and offering to organise one.

It is clear from the threads posted on this site that the majority of runners want a 2008 Liverpool Marathon.

Maybe we should all start supporting run Liverpool and not critising on past issues.

From my point of view being a RUNNER, as long as there is a start line, finish line and a race in between I don’t mind about anything else.

Come on all RUNNERS lets start supporting a 2008 Marathon bid for Liverpool.
  • Options
    Well said Keith.

Anyway, just because there are no xc or borders this weekend, get out and do some running instead of sitting in the warm typing away on the computer - remember you are a runner !!

I have just done 12 miles on the prom in a gail force wind - very hard work. Tony B was down there on his bike.

Does backwards Birdy actually run or is he just a professional moaner, I don't recall hearing about any of his past efforts.

You old mucker - Basil.
  • Options
    Well said Keith.

I'd like to see a Marathon in Liverpool in 2008... even though I may not even be there then.
  • Options
    Flippin’ heck! Did you see the news today about the guy convicted of Internet rage, because someone upset him on a forum? I haven’t upset anyone have I??? No….? well here goes……

Keith- The only reason he appears to be ‘the only one doing anything’ is because he is the only one getting paid to do anything! He is a Race Organiser! So don’t be viewing it as he is doing everyone a favour. IT IS HIS JOB.

Give me his big fat wodge of a pay packet and I will organise a marathon for you!

You all appear to be getting confused again, between genuine race organisers who give up their own valuable time and do a fabulous job, and ones (like RL) who get paid to do so.

Paradoxically, by continuing to support such a poor organisation, you are actually preventing the Marathon ever happening! Effectively you are destroying any chance you may have of getting the race on. If you concentrated your efforts on putting pressure on the city council to employ a credible, reliable race organiser, you may stand an outside chance of achieving your aims.

And yes Basil I do actually run. In fact, I have run more miles in the last 30 years than probably most of the people on these forums could ever dream of.

The reason you may not have heard of my ‘past efforts’ is that I run for myself and no-one else, I do not need the affirmation of other runners, I certainly don’t need to come on here and bore people about my PB’s unlike the sunglasses and lycra set, these forums seem to attract.

I come home, get my kit on, go for a run, come back have a shower…..what’s to feckin’ talk about??!!

:-)
  • Options
    I and some of my pals in Liverpool would deffo be up for it. I'll be happy to e-mail RL and Liverpool city Council to this effect.

If you look at what the Great North has done for Gateshead, you have to admit there are possibilities.

GK

• Options
    Speaking on behalf of the 100 Marathon Club we would love a Marathon in Liverpool, the sooner the better. I would be happy to run the half Marathon course twice (having done nine 24 hour races) as I like multi lap races. I'd even run round Sefton Park umpteen times!
  • Options
    I would be interested in a Liverpool marathon and tbh all the major cities in the UK 'should' have a marathon, even if it was only ever 2 years say.

Manchester and Birmingham should have one too if they dont already.
  • Options
    Birdy,

I feel like I have just been savaged by a dead sheep !!

Alan Rothwell,

Why not start the marathon at the end of Hoylake prom - you could then head towards Wallasey & Seacombe and through the tunnel to Liverpool - the runners would have done 8 - 10 miles before they hit any public roads and it would give those from outside the city a fantastic view of the waterfront that you can only really appreciate from the Wirral side before coming out of the tunnel on the Liverpool side - if you then do Scotlad Road, Leeds Street and The Strand they would then pass the great landmarks from the other side.

Birdy,

There you go mate, instead of knocking all the time - put forward some constructive ideas that the organisers can consider.
  • Options
    Tried the ballot for London a couple of times with no sucess so a marathon in my home city would be fantastic and as it's planned for 2008 plenty of time to train! I hope it goes ahead and would be happy with BB suggestion or even twice around the HM course (although the parli hill would be at about 22 miles)
  • Options
    I think the most important part of it must be sponsership and that means a major sponser. Thats why Edinburgh was almost cancelled last year 4 days before the race and why its marathon next year is in doubt. These races need major sponsers because of the costs involved.

Cardiff if in doubt for next year because the half raises more money for less cost....
    I hope you manage it because we need more marathons apart from FLM.

(Sorry but I probably couldn't manage an August one because I find running in Summer really difficult because of the heat)

But best of luck to those involved.
  • Options
    Basil…do you want me to tell you what RL have done with your very constructive suggestion?

Well they have probably filed it straight in the bin where they file other suggestions and have continued to do so for several years. [See the city council’s comments on the previous page re: ‘unwillingness to answer queries and complaints’ on RL’s part.]

To use a famous quote…..“The incompetent with nothing to do can still make a mess of it” seems to fit well to RL!

At the end of the day mate, let’s be honest it isn’t rocket science to work out a 26 mile route is it? I mean 5 minutes on the Gmap Pedometer site could sort that; it’s the other technical and organisational aspects that seem to defeat RL.

As for the reference to a dead sheep, I think the only similarity is that Howe has/had lots more hair than me!

Supergirl Pam – may you get everything you wish for, including umpteen laps of Sefton Park, because that’s probably what the eventual marathon will consist of! – Go girl!

SN - any race organiser worth their salt should be able to network efficiently enough to attract sponsorship and realise the importance of it.

• Options
    If it was that easy to get the sponsership then Edinburgh wouldn't be in the trouble they are in. Everything is easy in theory, in practise it takes a lot of hard work and I'll support anyone willing to put in the hard work. Starting up any race from scratch , even on a small scale involves a lot of work so this is going to be a hard job.
  • Options
    What part of ‘IT’S HIS JOB’ don’t you people understand?

We all ‘work hard’ but when you take on a paid job you are aware of the challenges involved and should have the competencies to match to enable you to do the very best job you can, thus justifying the salary you receive for doing it.

Attracting sponsorship is part and parcel of organising such events and as such is fundamental to the role.

And don’t offend people that do work really hard and get on with it without whining and moaning and blaming everyone else for their own shortcomings and failings.

• Options
    So who pays the wages of Run Liverpool then ?

Love the line about the moaning Birdy ! V good.
  • Options
    Ydrib, since this is your view......

".....I come home, get my kit on, go for a run, come back have a shower…..what’s to feckin’ talk about??!!"

Why come on the forum at all, why bother.....
  • Options
    Ydrib - can i just clarify, despite your issues with Run Liverpool, would you like to see a Liverpool Marathon happen in 2008?
  • Options
    Cougie – I thought the ‘lycra & sunglasses’ quip may draw you out. As for RL’s financial situation, although I am more than happy to provide you with a detailed breakdown (isn’t the internet a marvellous thing?!) I would suggest you speak to them directly for clarity or alternatively have a look around yourself, there is plenty of information available, often in vivid detail!

Keith – as to why I am here, my original profile may clear that up (although this may be hard to find, thanks to Dan the Ban & co!) I am sure if you ask nicely though, Mr Happy will print it here for you, as he has kindly done for me in the past, he’s good like that, you know!

Minsterman – thanks for the positive question, I would LOVE IT if there was a Marathon. That is my whole purpose for being here. As 2008 is the Capital of Culture year, I can think of no better way of celebrating the city’s fine sporting heritage and for visitors to go away with a positive perception of Liverpool and the people that live and work here.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not out to destroy Run Liverpool, what I want is for them to learn for their past mistakes and errors, to listen to feedback and constructive suggestions, to communicate more positively with the running community. And hopefully this will enable them to try to organise a top quality event, not one which is second rate and put on with a ‘that will do’ attitude, which has been especially prevalent in their past efforts.

If the above is possible, - great, bring it on, but if not and they are not up to the job, then give it to someone who can give us the Marathon we deserve.

• Options
    You mentioned in a previous posting that you felt if anything were to be achieved then in needed to be done at a political level, involving Liverpool City Council at a political level...

I am also wondering if you have contacted your local councillor (I am assuming you are a Liverpool resident), and if so, what kind of response have you had?
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Jeez, I wouldn't trust LCC to run a p-up in a brewery. As far as I'm concerned, the council's job here is to OK the route, close the roads & supply police. Councillors shouldn't be able to say 'yes' or 'no' to anything IMHO.

It's up to RL to come up with the route (again, not including the Wirral & I have major problems with that), sponsorship, any star runners & general organisation. So many cities organise this properly (look at Dublin or a range of European cities) that RL should be able to. If it can't, then hand it over to someone else.
  • Options
    Serious question

who else could take this on if RL werent here?

it isnt a small job is it
  • Options
    Oh come on then Birdy - if I am one of the "lycra and sunglasses set" that bore people about their PBs - please doooo tell me where I've done that. I hardly ever bother.

More to the point though - why come on here complaining about Run Liverpool and then when I ask a sensible question - you ask me to look it up ?