Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options
    RUNNERS WORLD FORUMITES

This year the Halstead & Essex Marathon will be laying on the "Runners World Forumites Gazebo" where you can all meet and shelter from either the rain or the sun before (and after) the race. There will be large signs placed up near the gazebo so you'll know where to go to meet your fellow runners.

I shall be there so make sure you come up and say hello. This year I want to get as many pictures as possible for the website and hopefully we'll also attract the local media as well as we did last year. (http://halsteadroadrunners.net/forum/showthread.php?t=89)
  • Options
    Less than 3 weeks to go! Missed last year's event as I had a hamstring injury picked up at the Locharber marathon.

Did this 2 years ago when it was quite warm, this year I will be mainly using my Nuun tablets!
  • Options
    I'm going to be lacing some of my water bottles with Diaoralyte. Going to try this next week on a 12 mile long run just to make sure it doesn't have any side-effects.

After the tragic events at London I think education is required to ensure that the whole topic of hydration is better understood.
  • Options
    Cant wait for the 13th!!! Have not run for a week but in taper mode now so not too bothered. Rain on the day please!!!!
  • Options
    Also bombed out big time at the FLM - I did the Cranleigh 21 in 2:44 (circa 3:25 predicted for FLM) then was gutted to limp in in 4:28 at the FLM. Hated it, once the wheels came off and I saw the roadside bodies, I just walked the last few miles as a self preservation strategy.

Planning to run Halstead, but I'm waiting to as late as possible to enter (for the weather forecast) - anything remotely warm and I'll be pulling the duvet over my head.

Simon
  • Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Well done to all who braved FLM. I also ran below expectation, finishing in 3:48, when I was hoping to run 3:30 off the back of a 1:35 half and (a far from flat-out) 2:40 20 mile race.

I'm seriously considering entering, but will probably do the same as Finch. If the weather forecast is kind, it would be good to give it a go and at least challenge my 3:39 PB.
  • Options
    I'm enjoying all this winding down!

A 'mere' 11 miler tonight, swim tomorrow, 13 on saturday and slow 5 on sunday is actually sounding relaxing!

Training for a marathon is great when you think 5 months ago i was two stone heavier and used to sweat popping to the shops and back in my lunch break.

Thanks for all the messages back there everyone. Had a tough week training afterwards but back on track mentally and looking forward to the big day!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Lurking again

Great piccys Flynn, (I'll have to start charging soon........)

just popping in to wish all who are doing this a great run. (Coz its a great Mara to do).

I would do it but family plans are in the way. So am now doing Luton in revenge for FLM, I bombed out too with a 3:59, my second worst mara out of 9. Heat and the small matter of viral pnuemonia during the whole of Feb, put paid to a good time, but had a great time experince and atmosphere wise.

And you lucky folks will be treated to a great race on the 13th im sure.

Take care.
  • Options
    Really looking forward to the 13th but you lot are scaring me. Please tell me there is someone out there who is also expecting this to take 4.30 or more or am I going to be the only one still running when you lot are having a celebratory drink! If so, look out for the lonely family waiting at the end!!!

By the way, all those who did the FLM and are also running this ... WOW
  • Options
    Are there still places left for this race? I also ran FLM and would like to have another go to try to improve my time?
  • Options
    Marion Westby:

We do still have places available.
  • Options
    Flynn:

Like you I'm planning a hydration change for Halstead. Normally use water and powerbar gels, which wasn't that successful at FLM, so am going to try a few runs with SIS GO (which claims to be carbs and salts/minerals) see what happens.

The real problem for most with FLM is everyone trains through the winter, and this year had no exposure to warm weather during training.

I am seriously considering changing my training strategy to January - September, and runs marathons October - December. That way I train through the worst of the summer knowing that any marathons I run will be cooler conditions.
  • Options
    Marion:

Halstead should give you chance to improve your time, the course is fast (in my opinion) with the only killer being the down hill section at 22-23 miles, and then the climb through the playing field right at the end.

I ran my PB here, if that helps.
  • Options
    Hazel Armstrong:

There will be plenty of people coming in at 4:30. You will not be alone.

SusieBee & 4x4xFinch:

Even if the weather is the same as Halstead you will probably find it easier. There is less pressure and it's easier to settle into a pace because there's a lot less people getting in the way.

I ran Halstead last year in conditions which were very similar to London at the weekend and ran 7 mins quicker than I did on Saturday.

RFJ:

You'll be missed mate. I'll pencil you in for next year. :) For those who havn't read RFJs FLM write-up, here you go: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2824#rfj

jamesy666:

My PB came having trained all summer and then racing in November. It's the best way to do it, but life isn't that easy. There's a lot of good marathons at the start of the year which means training through the winter.

Lots of people do run PBs at Halstead. All marathons are challenging in different ways. For London it's the volume of runners. At Halstead it's our "undulations". On the first lap you don't notice them, on the second you do but then everything from 20 miles onwards is pain, suffering and as long as you've trained right and run at the correct pace it's all mental.
  • Options
    I hope the 13th May is a day like today, weatherwise. Cool with a bit of drizzle will do me fine.

Enjoy your taper everyone.

Pete
  • Options
    *** RACE NUMBERS UPDATE ***
    As you are all aware you have not yet received your race numbers. Please rest assured that we are very concerned about this situation and are working hard to rectify it.

This year we have changed suppliers, sponsors, and many other aspects to the marathon organisation. This has all had a knock-on effect on the issuing of the race packs.

We are receiving the race numbers tommorrow and they will be posted very early next week after we can make up each pack. This means you should all have your race packs before the end of next week.

Race numbers this year have been printed with runners name's on them which we think looks great. Some runners have special number numbers allocated to them so see if you can spot one on the day. :)

As soon as the race packs are sent I'll post a message to tell everyone.

Any concerns then don't hesitate to contact me. (Contact details here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=34987)
  • Options
    Typo correction:

"I ran Halstead last year in conditions which were very similar to London at the weekend and ran 7 mins quicker than I did on Saturday."

... should have read ...

"I ran Halstead last year in conditions which were very similar to London at the weekend and ran 7 mins quicker than I did on Sunday."
  • Options
    Good morning, I am the Course Director/ Chief Marshal for the race and thought I'd just come on with a bit of info for those staying in or around Halstead the night before the race and who will be out seeking pasta!

There is a new 'Prezzo' Italian restuarant in Halstead the address is 5 Market Hill Tel. 01787 474271. They are open from noon untill midnight which is ideal if you want to eat early and get to bed. It's mid priced, main courses start at £5.95. It's not a tracksuit and t-shirt type of place though!

I have run races where forumites have started a list on the race thread and then made a group booking. Would anyone be interested in that???
  • Options
    Morning

I am also considering Halstead as I have heard so many great things about it and also to make up for such a disappointment on Sunday. Does anyone have any idea of what training you would need to do in next couple of weeks given FLM and that normally the taper would start now?

Thanks!
  • Options
    JJB

I ran both FLM and Halstead in 2006. After FLM 2006 I rested totally the first week, and then did one or two runs for the next two weeks (nothing over 5 miles). By the time Halstead come around i was feeling quite fresh and ready to race.

Am following the same approach for 2007 as it worked last year. I guess it depends on what pace you want to run, in 2006 I ran 4:11 at FLM and 3:57 at Halstead.

Obviously Halstead will only be my 4th marathon, so my advice can hardly be considered that of an expert.

James
  • Options
    that all sounds sensible - great nagative split!
  • Options
    Well with long runs we tend to run them weekly or bi-weekly however some run a long run only every third weeek working on the priciple that one retains fitness for the same number of days as miles run.

It really depends how use to high milage you are and how well recovered from last Sunday. I would aim to work on your recovery and probably not to run more than 12 miles in one stretch and no closer than 12 days before the race. Speed work, hillwork etc., wont do anything for you now just aim to run easy and be comfortable. Give it a go, even if it doesn't work out you will learn a lot from it.
  • Options
    thanks. I certainly will be giving it a go.
  • Options
    Can anyone suggest a good (quiet) hotel in/near Halstead?

Hazel - This will be my first marathon and I'm going to take at least 4:30 (prob nearer 5:00) to get round so you wont be on your own :-)
  • Options
    Hi I'm joining the "Disappointed at FLM" gang! Not only was it hot but I struggled with the noise (bah humbug I hear you say) and the constant jostling and never really settled down and got to concentrate so I'm going to give Halstead a whirl for a different slant on the distance and one that is closer to the training I've done. I feel pretty much recovered already and had a sports massage this eve and was told "you'd never know these legs had done a marathon" so I've entered, but on the quiet in an attempt to keep the pressure off!

Marion - I hope to be somewhere near your 4:30 so there will be at least two of us!!
  • Options
    I will be aiming for 3:45, which training suggests is achievable, but is dependent on the weather.

Hammo - there is no real danger of being jostled or baukled at Halstead...well okay maybe for the first 1/2 mile. In 2006, I started the race at the very back and by the time we had climbed the first hill in mile 1 you could choose what bit of road to run on.

• Options
    Sorry, just reading back, I meant Hazel rather than Marion, and Yvonne had already replied, so I'll join you you two and make three! (This is why I normally hide in the background on the forum...!)
  • Options
    Thanks Jamesy, I went along to watch a couple of years ago and it certainly looks a lot more like the kind of races I am used to. In the meantime we need to carry on doing cloud/drizzle dances!

Good luck with your 3:45!
  • Options
    decided to have a go at this one,( although I have to get round the shakespeare marathon first.)

I seem to have a hunger for running as many marathons as I can.Where it came from, I do not know,how long it will stay, I can not say.

I think I have got the bug and its running away with me.
  • Options
    YvonneM for accomodation try this http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/25/25548/Dog_Inn/Halstead it's within walking distance of the start/finish and pasta is not far.