Options

Tapering advice appreciated!

Advice please!

I need advice about tapering before a marathon. Anyone got any basic 'rules' or methods or website info

30th March is D Day!

Comments

• Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Craig,

I heared, that you have to taper a day for every mile of your long run. These means, you have to taper 3 weeks for a 20 miler, two weeks for a last half marathon distance.
    I don't know about the shorter distances that are done after this, but this is what I heared for long runs.

On the other hand my German RW book has a 30 km run two weeks before the marathon.

The big problem is, that when you ask 4 people you will get 5 answers.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I did the Kingston 16 mile race with a 3 mile warm down 3 weeks beforehand last year and was well and truly recovered for the marathon (coming in at 3:15 for a first-time) so I can say for definite that this worked. During my taper I still ran 3 times a week and included speed work, but no sessions lasted over an hour.
  • Options
    I tried this taper 1 week prior to my first marathon last weekend and won.

6 days to go 5 x 3mins as fast as possible with 3 mins slow

5 days to go 4 x 3 mins as fast as possible with 3 mins slow

.......and so on, having a complete rest a day before. This session can increase your endurance up to 15%.

From the start you feel like a million dollars. Why dot you try this, it worked for me.

Have a nice run tomorrow,

Allan
  • Options
    Craig,

There's a thread in the FLM forum "To taper or not to taper" a couple of weeks old now - take a look at that for more.

There's a pointer to a PP article. Backs up Allan's suggestion.

I'd recommend tapering for 3 weeks, but taper hard. i.e. use the period as recovery from the endurance/high mileage stuff and also build in a higher proportion of strength/speedwork (but at an overall significantly lower volume).

As the long miles settle into your legs you'd be surprised how you can boost your speed sessions. The stronger you are on race day the less the early miles will take out of you, and a negative split will be yours!

Oh, & these faster ticklers in the last week also help with carbo-loading according to a recent RW mag article.

Ye.
  • Options
    Try this simple method. Two week taper. First week 50% of normal mileage. Second week 25% of normal mileage but don't do it all on the Fri/Sat.
    JJ
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you for this advice - will absorb and make my plan.
    Cheers
    Craig