Options

HRM's: Staying in the zone.

I just got a Timex Ironman HRM and like it allot but I keep finding I go out of the training zone I have set (165 to 180) and to get back into it I have to walk for a short distance. If I try to keep running or jogging I can't seem to drop my heart rate enough. Obviously this can get pretty annoying at times like on hill ascents...

DanielB

Comments

• Options
    ...and the more annoyed you get, the more difficult it is to stay in the zone!
    I know about this - I've been there. Once you start feeling trapped by the 'I must stay below this limit' mentality, it becomes self defeating.
    The only thing I can suggest is that you be guided, rather than enslaved, by your HR zone limits. There are lots of factors which affect HR - if you go above your upper limit and start getting audible warnings, it doesn't necessarily mean it's because you're working too hard. Slow down a little, but don't feel obliged to walk.
  • Options
    You should find that over the weeks you no longer have to slow down as much to stay in your training zone; as your heart gets more efficient you run faster at the same heart rate.

Don't forget you should be using a number of training zones during different sessions rather than stick in the same one each time.

Mine are:
    Recovery runs: 140-156
    Steady pace: 156-165
    Marathon pace: 166-173
    Tempo running: 174-189
    Intervals: 190+

There's a book by J Parker in which he says it's very common for runners to have to slow down a lot initially on their recovery runs, regardless of their pace. Keep a record of your hr/pace and you'll be able to track the improvements. Good luck.

• Options
    Should have said, I'm not suggesting my heart rate zones would be right for you (depends on max heart rate, mainly) but just to show the wide range of training zones I use.
  • Options
    My Age is 22 so my HRMax would be about 220-22=198? I tend to just run for 15-20 mins before going to work. Helps me wake up...

DanielB
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Laura is far older than that ;)
  • Options
    Daniel - don't blindly follow that firmula either. There are lots of runners on these forums with MaxHRs way above what the formula predicts - at 44, with a max of 192, I'm one of them.

At the risk of repeating myself to those who've seen me post on this subject before - HR training is an art, not a science.
  • Options
    "firmula" - shurely shome mishtake!
    I want the edit function back NOW!!!!
  • Options
    Cheers Fat Face!!
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Your welcome. I going to have a "take the mickey" day today. I'm brassed off. Saw my physio on Wednesday, who is concerned that I may have a stress fracture in my foot. I've got to do more resting.
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Your should obviously be you're. Grammar boy, grammar!!
  • Options
    FatFace - sorry about the foot.

Did she put the ultrsound over it tho'? If she did - well - you'd know if you had a stress fracture or not - it's a real easy but v painful - like agonising - test for stress fractures.
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Yes she did. I wouldn't have described the pain as agonising though but it was painful when I went in.