Options

Triathalon - thinking about doing one

I'm now back to running after having pneumonia for 10 weeks. My legs feel like they belong to someone else, my luings are a bit wheezy and I've taken up swimming again.
I need a challenge for this year - something to get me into my trainers and out of the house so i thought I'd try a baby triathalon.

I can swim 200-400 metres ok, running 3 miles feels like hell but getting better slowly. The bike thingy must be easy.....at least I'll be sitting down!

Does anyone know of a tri happening on the south coast inthe next couple of weeks that I can go along and watch? Thinks I should find out a bit more.

What do I wear? Can girlies run in wet suits? certainly not running in my bikini for obvious reasons!

How do you train for a tri?

Help - so many questions!

Comments

• Options
    LJ

A novice Tri is well within your reach this season - There are plenty novice or "try a tri" TRIs about -

normaly about 200-300m swims 15-20k bike and 5k run

You dont run in the wet suit - get yorself a swimming suit to swim in (aim for a pool based swim for first race)

At the change over onto the bike - pull a close fitting T over your swim suite (you can buy the propper gear if you get into it) - cycle in you runnin shoes for ease - again no point in spending money on cycling shoes yet and you MUST wear a helmet and put the helmet on befor you touch you bike

Id advise sun glasses - any bike will do for you first race as long as its sound and safe

Aproaching the bike/run transition change down a gear and incease you revs (stand a bit to stetch) - hang up your bike then remove your helemet (it must be in this order)

Then off on the run

Great!!!

To train try and get 2 swims 2 runs and 2 bike rides in - during your training period - if you cannot fit this in during 7 days, have a 10 day training cycle

about a 5 weeks prior to the race include a brick session once a cycle - this is when you ride you bike and get off and run as a single training session (this is done in training cos its hard to do if un prepared)

If you brick session is going to be an hour - cycle for 40 mins and run for 20

Good luck - and feel free to mail me if you want a specific raining program or any other help

I will post details of southern races for you later

Again good luck

will
  • Options
    Thanks Will.

Lots of questions answered all at once!

I'm definitely going to give it a go but will need to sort my training plan out. At the moment I'm swimming most days with a run every other day (2-3 miles easy pace). Cycling is limited to the weekend only. Think training will be easier to do when the clocks change as I'll have more daylight time - I hate running at 6am in the morning!

Please send details of tri's in the south.

Thanks again

LJ
  • Options
    I've e-mailed you a quick list of TRIs in the Southern Region - Hope it helps

Will
  • Options
    I would also recomend the book: -

Triathlon: Tips for Success - ISBN:1841260290

It gives a good overvew of the basics including training, kit, racing etc
  • Options
    Thanks.
    I'm off to Amazon now to do some shopping! Its such hard work being fit!!!!
    LJ
  • Options
    I -warn you TRIs are very adictive ;o)
  • Options
    I need something to work towards.
    I did the great north last year and then lost all motivation. Hoping to get hooked on tri's.

LJ
  • Options
    Hi LJ,
    I tried tri's last year after the london Marathon when suddenly you have nothing to train for. Did a tri-a-tri first and everyone was so friendly since all in the same boat. Then did a sprint tri and again found it friendly and fun. Because the swim is staggered you don't feel any pressure since don't know where you have come in the whole race until everyone has finished -unlike a run when everyone starts together so you know you ar near the back!!! Last year I finished my whole tri then went to watch the better swimmers who were only just starting!! I found I got lazy so this year after the Paris Marathon I am going to aim to try (tri) harder! You should enjoy it, I live in Surrey and there are quite a few around here, the first the East Grinstead which has a tri-a-tri. WildWill I believe has migrated from the triathlon 220 site (whose forum was closed down)(but correct me if I am wrong, I used to eagerly read the site to see what would be written next!) so be guided by him. Good luck and have fun.
  • Options
    i was a 220 bod ;o)
  • Options
    You get up early as well WildWill ( and whatever the 955i stands for. It is very addictive reading these forums though, my husband thinks I'm having an affair with the computer at times!!!! There are so many threads to read. Carry on your good work advising.
    By the way LJ have you found the tri site, from 220 Triathlon mag? www.220magazine.com
    or www.britishtriathlon.org
    or www.triathletes-uk.org
    or www.triathlon.com
    maybe of interest if you want to look further.
    Dare I say I am off to play golf now -a rest day before the Cranleigh 21 tomorrow -gulp!!!
    Have fun.
  • Options
    Will certainly knows his tri stuff.I am in the same situation in wanting to do my first tri this year. Run and cycle fine but swimming is slow. Have invested in a tri suit to do the full tri in. Not doing open water swim yet or will borrow a wet suit!I am in the East Midlands and have dates of the series here through the local tri club. Is there not a local tri club in your area??
    Good luck with the training!!
  • Options
    I'm hoping to be representing my company in TRI in the corporate games this summer - its a sea swim and will be my first sea swim(Done Pool, River and lake) - looking forward to it big style

:o)
  • Options
    955i is my new motorbike :o)
  • Options
    Putting in my 5 pence worth - either invest in a padded swimsuit, or pull on a pair of padded cycle shorts prior to jumping on your bike. And don't forget to vaseline (or better yet use Bodyglide stick) on your nipples and anywhere else you think might rub when wet.
    And it will be worth your while practising riding the bike and then running right afterwards,e ven if only for a short while. You need to get used to the feeling and learn to deal with making your legs move while they feel like they are stuck in deep mud.
  • Options
    Oh and I forgot to say - have fun, and I bet you'll get addicted just like the rest of us. There's nothing like tri!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I did a cycle then a run this weekend - it felt like someone had stolen my legs and replaced them with some really heavy ones!!
    I'm a bit scared of joining a tri club (there is one in Southampton) as I may feel intimidated. Like the sound of a tri-a-tri.
    Will look at the other websites.
    I'm off for a wee swim now.

Thanks
    LJ
    XX
  • Options
    While on the subject of Tri's. Elsewhere on the forum I sort of committed myself to the Olympic distance London Triathlon. While I'm still extremely keen to compete I was just wondering how embarassing it would be to have to do a 1500m swim in Open Water predominantly doing Breast Stroke. I've been swimming the past 6 weeks and my stamina for freestyle doesn't seem to be getting any better.

If the general verdict is I'll look a fool doing breast strike then I may just give the Tri a miss until I have more swimming stamina. By the way 1500m breast stroke would probably take the best part of an hour which would leave me hopelessly last for my age catergory getting out of the water.

I'd appreciate any comments from the regular Tri mob.

"Still drowning" PPB.
  • Options
    PPB - seen breast stroke used - no one laughs - only encourages - triathlon is like that

Have a look at last years results and the times that people completed the 3 disiplins ( a few people were above 55 mins)

dont be worried - just go 4 it
  • Options
    Definitely don't be worried about breaststroke. I have done many short and very long triathlons using it and have no intention of learning crawl as I'm quite happy as i am.
    With practice you'll improve and there is nothing like sailing past crawlers.
    It is often my favourite part of the race because when I'm on the bike someone steals my running legs!

• Options
    i have a strange sort of question.

i've been considering doing a tri but have two main concerns which have put me off:
    1) not very fast on a bike - but i know that training should sort this
    2) being a well endowed girl i can't understand the logistics, garment wise. i mean, there's no chance on earth of me running without my sports bra so does that mean i should swim with in on underneath my swimming cossie? and don't tell me to try the lycra 2 pieces - for a girl my size it just won't work (34D). the only thing about swimming in a sports bra is that won't it then rub terribly because it's wet?

anyway, hope someone can help. i'd also be interested in the list of newbie friendly tri's in the south. thanks
  • Options
    Sorry Susannah, can't help with your question but was just popping in to say that everything above is spot on. I did 2 sprint tri's last year (400m pool, 25k bike, 5k run) and am starting with a couple this year, graduating to Olympic distance at Salford Quays and then a Half Ironman in September. I must be mad!!! It's very addictive and great fun. Get yourself onto a couple of the websites mentioned above and you should be able to find suggested training plans etc.
  • Options
    Hi Susannah, I'm also a 34D & have always worn a sports bra whilst swimming. I have doen 4 sprint tris & I haven't yet suffered from wearing a bra. I wear it unders two piece tri-suit. Mine is a lycra vest top (& so bra sraps do not show) & lycra shorts with sligt padding. Triathlons are great fun & definitely worth doing.
  • Options
    Cheers for the comments Will & Rob. I was a bit concerned about being mocked when doing breast stroke but you've put me at ease.

Another Triathlon question then just to continue a theme, Which book is best: Triathlon: Tips for Success; or
    The Triathlete's Training Bible.

I'm also debating getting that Total Immersion swimming technique book but that's been discussed elsewhere before on the forums.

PPB.
  • Options
    thanks TrinaD. i'll have to get out on my bike then, now that i've not got another excuse!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Susannah

Don't dismiss the 2 piece tri suits - I'm a 36C and I wear a Speedo 2 piece tri suit (got it from Bourne Sports) and find it more supportive than lots of sports bras. They are really really firm and hold everything flat. Might be worth buying a copy of 220 magazine and sending off for one to try out. (I think Speedo have stopped making the tri suits, but there are lots of other makes) Alternatively, Sportsjock bras are like crop-tops, so would be ok for running without having to put a t-shirt over it. You'd need to experiment to see if it dragged much while swimming though (and didn't become see through!), but I don't think it would rub, even if it was wet.

I don't live in the south, but all the tri's I've done have been really friendly and the last ones home get more support than the winners. Try to find a novice distance or a sprint distance at most for your first one, to get you used to the format. They are really good fun, even for a rubbish swimmer like me.
  • Options
    Ping Pong Boy - on the topic of books - I have the Triathletes Training Bible and it is a bit heavy duty really and the training programmes require a lot of thought. I found it a bit over the top as a beginner. A friend has Triathlon 101, which seems more use.

220 Magazine in my opinion varies in usefulness - sometimes they have good articles, sometimes not.

There seems to be a lot of talk on these forums about Triathlons - perhaps Triathlon should have a section of its own
  • Options
    I would agree with Chris.
    Don't bother with books just yet.
    220 is a good mag.
    Do your cross training. Get a feel for it.
    Then you'll be able to pick a book which suits your ability/methods/goals.
    For the record I prefer one by Steve Trew probably called Triathlon! It's an interesting read but i don't follow it religously just use it to supplement/change the sessions that have evolved from changing to a runner to run-swimmer to triathlete.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    Hi Susannah,
    one of your queeries answered -don't have any problem myself!! But about the "south" tri's, go into www.hedgehogtri.co.uk and that gives links into Sussex area tri's with tri-a-tri's also. This is where I did my first ones last year and found them very good so plan on doing some of them again this year. Look forward to them and enjoy, I'm looking forward to finishing the Paris marathon then getting the bike out ready for tri season. Go for it.
  • Options
    Is there a website for tri-a-tri? My other half's thinking about starting cos he finds running boring by itself.