Options

Having a mare

TmapTmap ✭✭✭
After that fascinating thread on stats analysis, how about a thread on who's -had the biggest shocker in a race?

My own "Cambridge Boat Race" was the '95 marathon - first half in 1:27, second half in 2:22.

That gives me a daftness coefficient of 1.62 (daftness = time for second half over time for first half), although I think I deserve a special bonus for the fact that my first half was actually quicker than my half marathon pb.

Can any readers beat this for breathtaking stupidity?

Comments

• Options
    Peter,
    that's a classic!

Must admit I haven't ever achieved that level of daftness in a marathon but during one of our club summer league races last year I did manage to set my minimum time for standing start to completely blowing up. Splits looked like this:

mile 1 - 5:28
    mile 2 - 6:47
    mile 3 - 6:31
    mile 4 - 7:49

;-)
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    MM, what is your current marathon PB?

My most stupid event was the Robin Hood marathon in 2001. Although not quite up to Peter's standard, first half in 1:30, second half in 1:55. First mile in 6 minutes, last mile in about 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Peter - what a mare. I'm sorry I can't beat that but my marathon debut last year (funny splits so I've converted to minutes per km).

First 10k 00:45:26 Average per km 00:04:33
    Net 16.5 km 01:17:33 Average per km 00:04:42
    Final 16,5 01:37:08 Average per km 00:05:53

Towards the end of the final 16,5 km I reckon I was close to 8 minutes per km.
  • Options
    Net should read next
  • Options
    Stockholm 2002.
    30 km - 3.24
    42.2 km - er, 5.10

It was very hot!
  • Options
    FLM 2002.
    First half - 2:15
    Second half - 3:41
    Daftness coefficient 1.63, just edging me ahead of Peter.
    Given my injured staus and lack of training for the previous 2+ months, the surprise is not that the second half was done so badly, but that the first half was better that the official half-marathon PB I set at the GNR a few months later after much better training.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    darn it. And you match me on the half-marathon pb too.
    Velociraptor, you are indeed even dafter than me. Congratulations.

• Options
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. You're all speaky all maths like my arty brain no cope
  • Options
    Drew,
    current marathon PB is 3:09 from Las Vegas in Feb 2001, so I'm looking to take a REALLY BIG chunk out of that....but could be setting myself up for a monumental daftness coefficient
    ;-)
  • Options
    Ah, having a mare race, a training thread I can contribute to with confidence.
    FLM 2002
    First half: 2:08
    Second half: 2:42
    Yes, it was a half marathon PB for me at the time too. Why do we do it?
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Marmite master

Velociraptor may sneak it on marathon daftness, but you win the "engine stalled on grid" category. Monumental missing mileage musclepower from marmite master.

I am in same position as you regarding marathon. FLM '03 will either be my pb (perhaps a sub-3), or it will be a mare. Well, either way it will be a mare, but hopefully a fast one.

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Can't compete here.
    Only managed a couple of -ve split marathons, but even my worst was only something like 1.10 on the scale.
  • Options
    Always run stupidly in major relays. last year at the North of England 12 stage relays at Stockport I set of for my 4 mile leg like a train trying to keep up with the bloke in front as I did not want to lose a position for our team.

I later discovered he was a sub 31 minute 10k runner!

On these races you're on your own and have no benchmark to set against.