Options

The Grant & Stone Wycombe Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi all

it was real good

clocking 2.17... i've got a treble run next weekend, so i was never going for sub 2 hours (ie 1.56 last year )

i know what i am capable of achieving, so it's nice to run for pleasure, then when the day is right , just go for it all guns blazing, but of course that also takes mental stamina to hold in there !

Saturday morning HM or 15 miles out of Bobbington 50k ( 2.2 mile laps )

Saturday night Hornton hilly 6

Sunday MK HM

Spectator support compared to other years i thought was virtually NIL

But i see plenty of that at rural races,

i'm in this to run, keep superiorly fit and feel real good and superiorly mentally strong, ...and of course it usually does just that

We all have bad days

And for me

the rest comes second

i do sincerely hope you all had a splendid run.. if it where your first or so HM , then congratulations

Just another run on another day for me

my mind and what little preperation i have is focused now on next weekend
  • Options
    Ach, what happened?

Went through 4 just over 29 then my legs seemed to fall off

Averaged around 7.30 pace after 7 then lost it completely. The last 6 took longer than the first 7.

Ended up just inside 1.45, 10 mins down on what I thought I'd do.

No point worrying about it. These days happen
  • Options
    Cookie

exactly

These days happen !!

Pure and simple
  • Options
    Cookie

Sorry

Just read your profile as i do not know you

Just move on and treat today as a training run friend

At least you did it

• Options
    Cookie - I think you should be very proud of yourself.

The furthest I have done is 10k and thats enough for me,so hats off to you,you did it!
  • Options
    Thanks Ruthie

Absolutely Mick. It's 13 miles and an hour 45

It all goes in the bank

• Options
    I really struggled today, looks like I wasn't the only one.

After a 10k pb last weekend was looking for a half pb on my pb course.

But the lack of training really showed the speed wasn't there and It was really hard going after 9 miles.

Still it was nice to see Mick and Phil again, and my mum really enjoyed her cuddle.

Mick good luck next weekend you madman.
  • Options
    Hi everyone.

I finished my first half marathon in 2hr,34mins. I was chuffed to bits. Looking for the next one now.

My Husband (Paul) got a bad case of cramp and struggled towards the end, 2hr,43mins.

Both tired now but really pleased we did it.

Well done to everyone. Lovely to meet you Mick & Phil - you are an amazing man.

Running Mummy.
  • Options
    Running Mummy

Did we meet then ??

Where when.. i met loads of people today !

Still glad you both had good time

Take care now both !
  • Options
    Cyber

lets have an action replay !!

The hug with mum i mean

LOL.. she's just fab !

Clive old boy, you looked so fresh you know, no-one would have thought you found it hard
  • Options
    Thanks mate, I'd had twenty minutes to recover when you saw me. Last year the last 3 miles were my fastest of the race this year they were by far my slowest.

I'll let mum know. lol
  • Options
    Congratulations to you all! Glad you enjoyed the day...

Results now online http://www.sportsystems.net/files/resultwycombehalf07all.pdf

Further category results will follow as soon as we get them.

Thanks and happy running, Trev...
  • Options
    Trevor

it was a super High Wycombe HM as usual

Many thanks to all
  • Options
    Cyber

last year clocking 1.56, i blew the last 3 miles to kingdom come

But i could'nt afford to today

i just though ok, an extra 20 minutes ...So what !

it's like when i 've got a marathon coming up ... i never go all out in HM's the 2 weeks previous
  • Options
    How lnog does it take for photos to go on the website?
  • Options
    Nice to see you at the start of the race Mick and Phil. I came in just under 1:45 which was 5 minutes faster than I had expected. I pushed very hard in the last three miles which is where I normally fade but I was determined to not do it this year. I was very tired at the end. It was not so hot but very humid.
    As usual a very well orgabised race. They do know how to do it well Handy Cross Runners. See you all next year.
  • Options
    I was puzzled by one thing - the announcer said there were around 1100 participants but there were 883 finishers. Does that mean 200+ dropped out?

I would've though that anyone reaching Bourne End would have to come back anyway along the route to pick up their kit/car whatever and hence finish the race. Despite the planned closure after 3:15, the latest recorded time was 3:32.

Now I have to mull over whether to enter Burnham Beeches next month to make up for yesterday's disappointment. Anyone else entered for it? I gather the course is a tad easier than HW.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    SleepyLion - there's normally a few no-shows, so I reckon that would have accounted for most of the difference. The organisers will only know how many entered, rather than how many actually cross the start line (unless they use the 'posh' chip timing).

As for Burnham, I'm entered. I struggled yesterday with a stomach bug & had to endure cramps for 10-11 miles, so didn't get the time I wanted. I'll be hoping to rectify that at Burnham in a big way. I understand the course is kinder, though as a lot of it is covered by trees, on a hot day there can be high humidity there. Do it and see ;-)

Thought the organisation was superb (despite the race appearing to start ever so slightly early) and it is easily the best value race I've done so far.
  • Options
    My hubby is doing the Burnham one too,he must be mad,I'll be at work so can't do it!

I thought the guy on the microphone was funny,telling people to get proper kit.

• Options
    I did Burnham last year, and I'd say it's on a par with Wycombe but without Marlow hill. It's set over two laps, and the hills come somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5 then again between 9 and 11 miles can't remember exactly where they are but that give you some idea. They are big up and down undulations rather than a big hill.

Take your swimming costume as there is a nice outside pool you can swim in after.

Last year I took it easy to finish in just under 2 hours then ran the last 2 miles in reverse then back to the finish for a 17 mile training run, for Abingdon marathon.
  • Options
    My next race is the Up Toe Down Flow, 1/2 marathon, along the river Thames from Marlow to Windsor in 2 weeks.

Anyone else doing it?
  • Options
    Yes Cyber

Abingdon marathon folkes.. were the rogue beat us !!

LOL
  • Options
    I might have beat you Mick but you really helped me get through the first 7 miles a lot faster than I'd hoped. I wouldn't have got under 4 hours without you.

Did i ever tell you Mick that my fastest Mile that day was when I spotted you at 21 miles. Not cause I wanted to beat you I was so happy to see you again I just wanted to catch you up.

Apart from me finishing in under 4 hours my highlight of the day was seeing you smash your pb. 4.03.

Yes you read that right 4.03 for a full 26 miles pushing Phil. This man is awesome.

Your one of a kind Mick and we're all inspired and love you for it.
  • Options
    Clive

Thank you for your kindness with that post

I'll print that off and put it into my special folder for a bad day !!
  • Options
    Found it hard on Sunday. Warm and as I come from a way away, had no real concept of Marlow Hill. A - I was very slow to ascend and B - it took me a few miles to recover to race speed, so my timings were shot to pieces. Picked up in second half, once the cloud started to come over.

Great goody bag, good value, but as was written about on here, the pavement / parked car situation also did not lend themselves to a pb. Good marshalling, and I used every sponge going!!

• Options
    Had a good look at the photos,some great pics on there,saw you Mick and Phil you are just amazing.

My hubbys number was 444 you would think he would have smiled for the camera!

The photos are much more reasonable than the photos I ordered from the dorney dash.
  • Options
    Ruthie

Thank you , your kind !!
  • Options
    Mick, what publication was the reporter with that interviewed you after the race. I'd like to read the article.

And what was your number?

I'm glad you liked the post I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it. Your a real hero.

• Options
    Hi Mr Cybes

Old man LOL

We were No 2

paper..no idea

Subject of hero

Course i amm ...

LMAO