Options

Elliptical training

Advice please.

I am training for my first marathon (Lake Vyrnwy June 1st)and follwing the RW mag schedule for a sub 4:00.
Unfortunately I am suffering with shin splints to a degree that I can't run at all at the moment. So while I can't run I have had the notion of using an elliptical trainer at the local gym and this week I have been doing the schedule by the way of my HRM and the RW schedule.
The question is, will this help at all or is there a better way of doing this.

Its very boring and tomorrow I have got to do an hour and a half at 70% WHR so any advice would be appreciated.

Nick

Comments

• Options
    Nick

The ET will help maintain jour fittness but if i was you i would try and get some time in a pool and do some aqua joging (about 30min sessions) this will both help you with your running and aid you recovery

Good luck

Will
  • Options
    Well..you run far faster than me so I can't advise re cross training for your target time/fitness etc - but for the FLM last year I had to cross train in the gym for the full 3months before hand - just doing one long - very slow run a week on a playing field. On the day I was far fitter than the speed I could run at - bad news for you I guess! - and found the whole thing really easy but couldn't run as fast as I'd hoped.

The problem with total x-training is that you still have to build up your running mileage slowly & carefully once you get running again - otherwise you end up with shin splints again - even tho you've got the fitness to do more.

I used all the equipment in the gym except the treadmill, and tried to keep the speed (!) on the bike by reducing resistance to a level where I could get 80-100 rpm for the duration. Also used the elliptical trainer - both facing the right way (about 70% of the time)- but also going backwards - & also facing the wrong way and going forwards and backwards - which really stops you getting just some muscles worked and not others - esp the calves.

Have you worked out what's causing the shin splints though ? After 25 years of being told not to run because they were so bad --I'm now almost 100% free of them, combination of problems - sorted by regular physio / exercises and orthotics.

Good Luck.

• Options
    Will- Thanks, its funny you saying that, I have been swimming in the morning for the last week approx 1000m before I go to work. How do I Aqua Jog ? never done that. I have just been reading the Triathlon training thread and fancy a go as well any information would be great. Just got to sort out my leg.

SS thanks, I hadn't thought of going the other way, I shall try this tomorrow. The problem started after doing Tough Guy this year.I had been doing a lot of steep hillwork in training for that and now whenever I incorporate hill runs in my training my right shin hurts like hell, and for someone who has aspirations to one day do a fell race, its a bit of a pi**er to say the least. I have benn resting for one week but its still a bit tender so I will give it at least one more and see how it goes.