Options

Calling the Great Sages that reside in the training forum

Just a bit of marathon advice.

I'm currently running the best I have ever run. I returned from a horrendous year of injury after injury last year to start running again on Christmas eve after another 3 month lay off. Since then I have gone from strength to strength, running a 2.19.40 at an undulating 20 miler 4 weeks ago and this morning I ran a 2.15.55 20 miler on a more testing course.
I'm feeling good about myself and I'm in 2 minds whether to go for a sub 3 @ London or play safe with a 3.05. My previous 2 Londons have been 3.42 and 3.12.

Comments

• Options
    you know the answer to that one by yourself, dont you?
  • Options
    Or maybe not

You did accidentally run a marathon in training didnt you?
  • Options
    I did indeed, but that was a 4 hour multi terrain training run. This is now the fine tuning on the big day.
  • Options
    Go ON
    Sub 3
    you know you can
  • Options
    You are right on the edge...

Looking at http://www.teamoregon.com/publications/effort.pdf

20 miles at 2:13:54 equates to 2:58:54

Adding 2:01 to the 20 miles time will add slightly more to the predicted marathon time.

Were you racing the latest 20 miler or well within yourself?

But you are in heavy training, so you could expect to be able to reduce that 20 mile time if you targeted a 20 mile race to run as hard as you could with a good 3 week taper.

What you do know is that you can readily run more than 13.1 miles in 6:48. So how about planning to run the 1st half a bit slower than that, say 6:55.8's and see how you go chasing a small -ve split. If it feels a bit hard you'd still be in good shape top meet your 3:05 goal.

You could even increase your -ve split target by assuming that your 6:48's from the 20 miler were worth 6:44's at London. If you feel confident about that you could push your 1st half target to 91:48 (~6:59's). That would give you a 51%/49% -ve split which Uncle Frank believes to be close to ideal.

Just a thought...

Ye.
  • Options
    Pizza Man,

If I'd done sub 2:16 (i.e. better than 6:48 pace) on an accurately measured, tough, 20 mile course, I'd be convinced I was capable of sub 3 hours (6:50 pace) for a marathon. Your confidence is high & you're feeling good - go for it.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Go for it PM!!
  • Options
    Yep Pizza, agree with all the above. There are 3 outcomes.

1. Go for 3.05, do it comfortably, then think `I wish I'd...'

2. Go for 3.00, can't quite make it but think, well I tried, WILL do it next year. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

3. Go for 3.00, do it and feel brill.

I managed to go from 3-15pb to a 2-54pb from an autumn to spring, so 3-12 to 3-00 is well withing reach. Don't set yourself low barriers.

Good luck.
  • Options
    PM, I would say go for it. However I would suggest that you aim for a negative split trying to spend 51% of your total race time on the first half of the race and 49% on the second half.

The advantage is that if its not going too well on the day you can choose to keep an even pace ans still make a good time. But if its going well then you can accelerate and make your target time of sub 3.
  • Options
    Pizzaman - my calc say 3:01:10...

... So i'd say go for it

Best of luck

Will
  • Options
    I second what CollyM says.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input.
    I'm going to go with the flow and sub 3 or bust. But as WW & Ye Hippo point out, it realy is a border line thing.

As Bruce Lee said "When you watch one star. When you focus on one star. You miss the heavenly glory that fills the sky, but, you can touch that one star"
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    It's definitely on. On your best 20 miler you'd have about 44 minutes to run the last 10k - OK so that's after 20 miles but we a sub 3 hour marathon as an incentive, a flatter course, and a proper taper you can do it.
  • Options
    Pizza Man,
    go for it mate. I think as pointed out above that if you can run a 20 miler at that pace in training that you're definitely on for a sub-3:00 after 3 full weeks taper.

Barnsley,
    really pleased to hear that you took 21 minutes off your marathon PB, I'm plannning on doing the same in 4 weeks!!!
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I'd go for it.
    With your Bramley time over 20miles, you should be able to run flat London with crowd support 5-6 minutes quicker, leaving the mere formality of a sub 45 last 10k.

Better to aim for 2:59:59 and miss by 2 seconds than aim for 3:05:00 and beat it by 2 seconds......

Good luck big man!
  • Options
    Pizzaman,

I'm in the same boat. I found that I had a stress fracture 5 weeks before last years FLM and have been building up for this year's run since I could start running again (July 2002).

Training has been going well and I've got PBs for 10km (39:10 in Feb) and half marathon (84:11 in Fleet yesterday). I was telling myself, throughout the training that sub 3:15 was my target but revised that to sub 3:10 when it was going well.

My biggest run has been 20 miles, done in a very comfortable evenly-paced 2h25min and I'll be doing a 22miler next week. I was pleased that I could hold back, following the oft-given advice of running the long runs slower than normal.

The concern is that if I go bold and aim for sub 3, it could all go wobbly and I'll blow up with 5 miles to go. On the other hand, I could take it, ahem, easy and aim for a comfy 3:10, which i reckon I could do.

I'm always sceptical about the claim that the crowd will carry you for a few miles. The crowd can certainly help with the mental aspects but they can't top up glycogen stores at 22 miles!

the bat
  • Options
    Go for it Pizza Man. If you don't make it under 3 hours and really blow up, so what, you tried! Not like you haven't done a marathon before now is it.....I'll be trying for 3:15 myself, if I go 'bang' then I'll be lucky to get under 3:45, but I sure am not playing safe and going for a 3:22-3:25.......

Best of luck,
    TR.

• Options
    As St Patrick once said, "Blimey O'Reilly" - go fot it and best of luck PM !!

Is another factor here the "what are you capable of" one... - ie besides your current form, a 3.42 FLM followed by 3.12 suggests a sub 3 'bottoming-out' a definite runner ?
  • Options
    Thanks for your belief in me guys. I feel that if I don't atempt it now I will not only be letting myself down my virtual running buddies belief in me as well.

Batfink, if you fancy having a bash at as well let me know. I don't talk when I'm running but it would be good to have someone else along for the ride. We could both help each other out when the going gets tough.
  • Options
    may the force be with you, PM - go with Bruce! as another bloke said, "if you will it, it is no dream".
  • Options
    More grist for your mill PM.

You beat me by 50 seconds at Bramley and last time out I managed 2:59:44 on a hillier course than London - so no excuses then!

Ye.

PS - I did run Bramley as -ve splitter - 73min 1st lap, 67:30 2nd lap and I was still recovering from an over-indulgent Xmas. That weight has now gone and the speed has returned. So I have just the same issue as you. The Taunton hills will cost me about 3 mins, but do I still shoot for another sub-3? I'll probably decide later, like 20 miles into it!

• Options
    Pizzaman,

I will hold judgement on going for 2:59:59 till after Monday, when I'm doing 3 laps of Richmond park (total of 22miles). I'll try and aim for 7:10 - 7:20 pace and see how it feels. After that, i'll have to make a decision.

Since I've done all my marathon training on my own, I'm not in the habit of talking either so if I do decide to think big, I won't be wittering on for the duration! Also, i think I put down a conservative 3h30 as a predicted time when I filled in my GB place which will mean I'll need to sneak forward a pen or two at the start.

the bat