Options

The Thunderbolt 4

Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
been out of the racing game for 6months after doing 20+ races last year, so looking for a low key little race to get 2007 rolling.

anyone know anything about this one?

mite just turn up to this one..60miles at home where i won't know anyone, will have no expectations of time and therefore no pressure!

Comments

• Options
    Not run it, but have friends in the village. It's part of the Tifield village fete, which starts at 12. The field is towards the north end of Tifield. Route is (I belive) a loop towards Gayton (which is NE of Tifield). Undulating, rather than actually hilly and along closed lanes for the most part.

Some confusion over the length, as my friend thought it was 2k.

Don't quote me on that, but it's the best information I could gather.
  • Options
    I'll be doing this one. It's going to be a p.b as I've never ran this distance before :-)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    best not be a 2k.
    if i do this one it'll be a 120mile round trip!!
  • Options
    This is definitely a 4 mile race. As well as a goody bag there is a medal to all finishers. Should be a good day for those that want to bring the family as there is so much else for them to do.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    mite just be you and me running caz!
    just don't go too fast i'm not in top form at the mo!
  • Options
    This is the Inaugral running of this event and so you have a chance to get in the record books as holding the fastest times respectivley. To date there approximatley 70 runners.
  • Options
    Is anyone else on here female? .... I could be 1st lady at this rate :-)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    depends how quick the other runners are gareth!

in my experience even piddly events tend to get good quality runners!

i've done runs with 1000 and come top 50 and ive done runs with 80 and only come top 20!
  • Options
    I plan to do this race, all being well.
    Looking for low key events as I am also returning from a few years layoff.
    should manage 4....he says, hopefully! :)
  • Options
    Ernie come and have a go. We have St Johns ambulance and a therapy/massage tent for your weary aching muscles. I think you will be glad you made the effort.
  • Options
    Running caz, I might go, so you there is a good chance you will not be the only female and at my speed you will not have a rival for 1st lady! I am due to do a 4am collect at Gatwick that morning, hence my reluctance to enter before the day. Sounds like a good race, so probably will turn up as will have missed my habitual Saturday morning run
  • Options
    Northants mads. Maybe if you ask in the therapy tent they will let you have one of there beds for a snooze!
  • Options
    Looking forward to this as it's my next race now :-)

Am really hoping I feel like giving this a good go on the day. Did Arden 9 last weekend (which was road) and ran 7:53 min miling. Don't reckon that will be anywhere quick enough to get a place here so will have to try and break my 'one-pace-Caz' reputation!! Might do a couple of sneaky short treadmill sessions this week to see what I can pull out the bag ;-)

NM - that early start does sound bad but I'm sure you can keep at it for a mere 4M :-)

P.b no matter what and a medal .... got to be worth a go.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    looking forward to this one now..even if i am driving 60miles each and way and coming on my own!!

it's an urgently needed return to racing after 6months away!
  • Options
    Hmmm, weather not the best but looking forward to it still. Not as hopeful as I was about a good time as I have a cough and sore throat but will try and give it a good go! :-)

Am still hoping that there are as few fastish female runners there as there are posters on this thread ;-)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    heheh running caz!
    nice one.
    hope it goes well.

i'll be there, and may see you, especilaly if only 80-100 people or something.

i'm just looking to do my first race for 6months.no targets...just a nice finish in the wet conditions and nice shiny medal.

top 10 would be terrific, but all depends on who turns up..might be 50 people who can do way quicker than 30minutes!!
  • Options
    Thought a mere four miles would be a doddle! Wrong! Really found this tough, I think I went too fast at the beginning and I don't think being awake all night helped much either. Having said that, I did my best time ever, (34 mins - well it is good for me!)So maybe worth the agony?

Great atmosphere and goody bag, shame about the weather from the fete point of view, still a bit warm for running though! Big thank you to the organisers and marshalls, will come again next year if still running!
  • Options
    Was a nice little run and I totally agree with how far 'only 4 miles' is when you are trying to put in some effort! Anyway, no watch or clock at the finish but my fella timed me with his mobile and reckons I was 29:45!?!?! Hope so :-)

Some very fast runners there, and loads of club runners which made me a little nervous about being last at one stage!!

Nice little medal and goody bag and a nice pub lunch and pint after :-) Shame about the fete but you can't have it all.

A new p.b too :-)
  • Options
    Oh how I hate short races !!

Nothing against Thunderbolt, just being outside the comfort zone, but good to do once in a while.

No timing clock, and where was the finish line?

Stopped Garmin at end of tapes, so not sure of result, will check Wootton Road runners site later.

My first race at this distance, would probably do this one again. Shame about fete and refreshments.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    nice little race...worth drivin 60miles for!
    not sure my mate agreed when we noticed the fete was off!!

he actually missed me finishing..the lure of the pub was too great!!

the front 2 were very quick...kept up with them for about 100m, then dribbled in in about 10th..but that'll do was quitea hilly course rather than undulating.

results?hoping they will be published
  • Options
    Thanks very much to all the organisers. I was with the back markers but the marshalls still managed encouragement even though me being slow meant they were being caught in the rain.
    Would recommend to anyone.
  • Options
    A big thankyou to all who came, sorry about the description I was guided by a more experienced runner than myself. I can assure you it was a pleasure to marshal for all of you.Sorry about the fete thats the parish council for you.Will take note of all your criticisms and suggestions and try to incorporate them for next year. PLease feel free to suggest anything else if you can think of it, either here or at my own e-mail. gareth@gmeade.fsnet.co.uk
    once again thanks for coming and making all the hard work worthwhile.
    Gareth
  • Options
    Hi Gareth
    Sorry if I seemed to criticise in my last post, wasn't my intention.
    Friendly marshals offering words of advise (keep in, twisty road, 1/2 a mile to go) are much appreciated, even if I was too out of puff to respond to them.
    Thanks to all involved in organising, marshalling, helping out etc. I know it must be a thankless task.
    I hope next years race will be more attended for you. Well done.
  • Options
    Hi Jigs
    Please dont feel that you upset me with your comments, far from it as it was our first one we need all the help we can get. Glad you enjoyed it and we will realy take notice of anything anybody has to say to make it better for next year. Weather permitting we want to make next years better and hopefully we can get the fete put on this time (if the parish council will let us). The results should be on the Wooton road runners web site sopme time this week.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    for a small race Gareth it was pretty much spot on.
    You could get away with no drinks stations due to it being only a 4miler, so no problems there.

Didn't see a mile marker for the first mile,although I may have missed it. The 2nd and 3rd were on tiny little poles. Not sure if the budget stretches to some big square printed mile markers? Those are ideal.

The finish line ...well..it could have been a line and been more noticable, for those who like to dribble round the course and then fly in at the end like myself!

One of those electronic timers would have been perfection but I'm sure they cost plenty.

Finally on entering the park, on first sight it looks like you need to go straight on, rather than a very sharp turn to your left. Maybe there's a way of having the course go straight on and round to the finish that way...just to avoid any risk of going the wrong way!

All in all a nice little race, that is fine as it is but would be excellent with those few changes!
    Gee runners are a hard bunch to impress!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments Steve. Already looking at perhaps trying to hire one of those blow up finish lines with a clock on. I will try and get a sponsor to cover that. Mile markers, a good point I have to admit they were a bit of an after thought and nocked up quickly on the pc, will try and get proper ones for next year.
    The stretch in the park was put around that way to avoid running in to the fete that should have happened, perhaps next year we could have a sign up showing the direction or perhaps we could turn around in front of the swings, what do you think? It is very much appreciated that you have all taken the time to give us your comments and gives us ideas for next year. cant wait! This deffinatley hasnt put us off it was great fun.
  • Options
    I saw the mile markers and they were just the same as I have seen at other races. But then I do not go so fast as to miss them! I too, nearly ran the wrong way into the fiel; glad it wasn't just me, as I felt a bit of a twit at the time. The marshal just needed to stand in front of the gap in the tapes I reckon. Those timers must be expensive and I have never seen one at rural events, so always rely on my mobile phone. I am hoping Father Christmas will bring me a GPS running watch this year.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    results anyone?
  • Options
    Yes please, Stevie G! ;)

Still waiting and refreshing the Wootton RR results page hourly !!