Options

Birmingham & Black Country Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Think of it this way, there is a tunnel a few miles away which can be waked through which is over 3400 yards long (2 miles). Be happy it is not that one....................
  • Options
    Dark side doesn’t even half describe it!
  • Options
    Hayhay, you heard me :-)

Hello stranger, this not your cup of tea then ;-)
  • Options
    Hayhay, you heard me :-)

Hello stranger, this not your cup of tea then ;-)
  • Options
    oh dear.. thought i'd have a quick serious look at this..... it's down a bloody canal innit!
  • Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭
    Opps - Gonna have to give this a miss now...

Good luck though Andy - All the best in organsing it :-)
  • Options
    Kaz,

I can tell from your photo you have done Himley haven't you...........a very familar water feature.......
  • Options
    I've only just found this - and theres a 10K for Carol . I can't get the £50 but I'll pay £25 for me and carol to do the half and 10K.

But can I get out to 13.1 in a month?
  • Options
    Hang on - if we start and finish in a different place where do we park? does the 10K finish back to the start or does that finish 10 down the cabal whilst the half 13.1 miles down?

Will I need two cars? one at the start one at the finish?

We'll need to know as we'll have kids there watching/waiting.
  • Options
    Mike,

I think the race ends in the same place, the 10k people sort of join us in Dudley somehow.
  • Options
    Somehow?

By boat?
  • Options
    Chris M - Think it's Himley .... suicide 6. Never know the name of the places, just go and run the event :-)
  • Options
    mike hawes: When plans are need re: travel / cars RC is known to formulate plans with military precision. Leave it up to her!
  • Options
    running caz: I thought your icon was from the Big John Ultra?

...did you get the pic I sent to your phone the other night?
  • Options
    I certainly did AA ..... what a tease :-)

Feeling a bit guilty as I dont think I'll be doing this now :-)
  • Options
    I'm really up for this but I need a stack more details to be honest - this thing about the start and finish , plus if it's on a towpath it's going to be hell at the start and if there are any Civvies walking the other way.
  • Options
    Folks, I went to the tunnel last night, I was mistaken and there is plenty of headroom. However there is almost no way you can run through that tunnel unless you are super sure footed, I walked through and found it extremely slippy.

Mike - Lots of Civvies, fishermen, people walking dogs, could be a very crowded start, after all the rain very muddy too.
  • Options
    So it's going to be a shambles then? what about water stations?

I'm still up for this and I'll be able to get at least 4 - 5 adults in my campervan so if someone wants to follow me to the start then drive me back I can take a load back to the start.

• Options
    Evening alll, just stumbled over this event and thread but after a few lack lustre results am not sure about entering... is the course pb friendly? All this talk of tunnels is scaring me I have to say... wouldn't miner's torch helmet thingies be the answer?
  • Options
    Emma,

I run parts of the canal on a regular basis, it is not PB terrain and nice and wet/muddy in patches, although nice and flat of course !
  • Options
    We do not even know where this one is starting yet, so I do not think I will be part taking in this one.
  • Options
    I still up for it - as I've said if someone will coolect me from Brum I'll leave my campervan there and I can get loads of adults in it!

It'll be a laugh - lets do it!
  • Options
    Is it safe to do a training run along the canals? Went out a few months ago out towards Aston and Digbeth along city centre canals and there were a few suspicious characters loitering aroudn the tunnels... so if anyone wants to hook up for a training group I'd love to hear from them.
  • Options
    As a prolific racer (slow, but prolific)I find it amazing that I've only just heard about this from somebody at Shugborough last night. I was all prepared to give it a go, until I spotted the £50 entry fee (OK, the free to you and me but please raise sponsorship wheeze). Still interested, but to be honest from reading the threads the whole thing looks to be a shambles with no idea of where we start, logistics of parking etc etc. Is there a list of definite entries ? Other than this I can only find the Wenlock 7 on July 15th, so am currently undecided.
  • Options
    Mike, I am still in two minds but might do, I live in Tipton which is around the halfway mark !!!! So I have not a clue how I will sort it.

Emma, alright for us guys (most of the time )but please please please run with someone as there are some very shady charactors on the canals at night. But as above I am not near the city center so cannot run with you.

Rich, same here.
  • Options
    Emma - isn't there a running club nearby? where are you? Birchfield harriers must be near . The canals do attract dossers and winos near the rundown areas of Aston - Digbeth but this route proposed is from the other way and I think that these canals are quite quiet. Please be careful .

As to the race - if we can have some more details like start finish points etc then I'm all for it. I can't raise £50 but I'll go as far as £15 if he wants to make the effort. Just give me a start/finish somewater between and at the end and I'll be fine with it.
  • Options
    Hi all. Sorry for the lack of info so far - it has been difficult to finalise anything until I got permission to end the race in a good spot in town.

As this event is in its first year the most important thing is having runners to take part. Thanks to those of you who are being such good sports and signing up.

The entry list has grown larger than expected and I am in contact with local officials to discuss logistics. This all started as a bit of fun among friends but it seems that loads more people out there are keen to have a half marathon in Birmingham!

The event is not affiliated with any athletics body but there will be volunteer race marshals in attendance, as well as drinks stations and first aiders. There will also be someone following the back of the race in case anyone has to drop out.

The race takes place along the canal towpath - this provides us with a road-like surface without the need to shut off roads or dodge traffic. However this does not leave much room for overtaking which is why entries are limited to just 50.

The course is flat and the terrain is good for the most part. There are some bumpy bits and some narrow stretches, plus the Tunnel, so this is not pb territory. We will also have to look out for walkers/cyclists/fishermen.

The Tunnel is a bit of a problem but I have a solution. There is plenty of headroom but it is quite narrow, so we will have to go steady here. I suggest that runners bring a torch labelled with their race number on. I will have these taken down to the tunnel and handed to you as you go in. Someone will then collect them as you exit and take them to the finish line to be collected with your gear.

I had set a target of £50 sponorship per runner - this was back when I thought I would have about 10 runners taking part. Now we have 40 and counting, so if any of us can raise even a small amount it will go a long way. Some runners have offered to donate whatever amount they feel is reasonable, which is very gratefully received.

There is no commitment to raise or donate anything - what I want more than anything is to have people there on the day who are up for something a bit different.

It would be nice to see all of you in the pub afterwards to get to know each other and hear what you have to say about the race. The race will end at Brindley Place, just off Broad Street. There are plenty of pubs round here and if the weather is nice we can sit outside one of them and rehydrate together.

Friends and family are very welcome too and it would be very nice to have them at the finish line to cheer us all on and add to the atmosphere.

As the event is point-to-point you are all presented the difficulty of transporting your kit. I am working on a way round this - I will have one of our volunteers collect your kit at the start in Wolverhampton and drive it down to the finish line in Birmingham.

Due to confusion with the RW site I have cocked up the 10k a bit and not many people have been able to enter. This makes things easier though - I will be able to drive the 10k runners from the half marathon start in Wolverhampton to the 10k start line...I'll also give details for you people to get there yourselves, in case you don't want to trust my driving! The idea is that the 10k ends in the same place as the half marathon at roughly the same time so it will start an hour later.

Thanks for taking an interest in the race. It seems there have been many discussions about a Birmingham race in the past few years and hopefully this is one step towards having a full scale one.

Race packs are being put together and full details will be posted online shortly.

I am happy to receive comments/queries by phone/email.

Regards,
    Andy Karran
    07734 433 505
  • Options
    emma b: It may be worth posting on this thread

here

its a lot of the same people that post here - but there are always runs in sutton park being orgainised and we're all a friendly lot.