Options

help with schedule

Hi Peeps,
I wrote my schedule based on the training session of RW website. I am planning to do races from 10k up to 1/2 marathons. My weekly sessions are:

Sun: 10M long run
Mon: 1 hour turbo training
Tue: 3x3k threshold
Wed: 5M steady
Thur: 1 hour turbo training
Fri: track work ( 5x1k or 5x1M or 15x200m or 10x400m)
Sat: rest
I would like your imput on this. Am I doing the right sessions? Should I change something?
Another question for you who use a track: do you wear spike shoes??

thank you very much for your help.
Spud

Comments

• Options
    Awww Spud - Looks like a reasonable plan but here are some observations.

1. If you're aiming for the half marathon I would be tempted to push up the long run a little, but probably as part of a 8-10 week build up i.e. during the rest of the year 10 miles should be fine.

2. Have you done speed sessions before? If not then I would aim for one session to start with and add a second later in the schedule as you get more experienced.

3. I would have the wednesday as an easy (rather than steady day) but it depends how hard you are pushing on the turbo. I'm also not sure that this session actually adds anything significant so you may want to substitute either a rest day or a gym (weights and core training session).

4. The Tursday session as one of your core sessions I would tend to look at in combination with the Friday session e.g. on the Tuesday you could do either (all sessions with 10 minute warm up, warm down);
    i) 20-30 minutes tempo (at or slightly below 10k race pace).
    ii) 3*3k as suggested
    iii) 1 hour Fartlek
    iv) Hill session (e.g. 10-12 x 200 metre hill).
    If doing the tempo or 3x3k then I would tend to do shorter intervals on Friday and vice versa.
  • Options
    Oh and I wouldn't use spikes - don't absorb enough shock.
  • Options
    so many questions to ask! Here goes:

1. What backgound of running do you have?
    2. When is your marathon?
    3. What time are you aiming for?
    4. And what is turbo training - sounds fun!

The structire seems fine, if a bit intense although your body will soon let you know if you're overdoing it!

the bat
  • Options
    Thank you very much, Martin. You gave me lots of good ideas.Bat, I have been running on and off for about two years. I have been a hurdler in the past but this was a long time ago.

I haven't got a date yet for the 1/2. Maybe June or July.

I have no idea about the time. Maybe less than 2 hours.Turbo trainer is a contraption you stick your bike on and cycle without leaving your living room. I do different sessions on it and use it for xtraining as if I run more that 4 times a week I get injured.
  • Options
    Ian DoddsIan Dodds ✭✭✭
    Hi Spud,
    You might want to rethink the timing of your 1/2 marathon - do you really want to run 13 miles at race pace in potentially hot and humid weather ? There are a whole new set of problems to deal with - especially dehydration and knowing how much slower to set off than on a cooler day.

I've run 25 1/2 marathons and the thing I still get wrong is working out how much negative effect the humidity or heat is going to have on me. Basically it slows you down because your cardiovascular system diverts some blood (and therefore oxygen) away from your running muscles to the extremities of your body to aid the cooling process. But how much should you slow down to compensate for this ? That's the trick.

If you must run a half in June/July then err on the side of caution and set off more slowly than you imagine you should.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Spud

For what it's worth I'd up the long run - if not weekly then maybe fortnightly.

I think I would want to do some running at target pace. At the moment all your running looks to be either above or below target pace. Why not ditch one of the speed sessions and substitute a 10k run at your half marathon target pace? This should be a relatively hard run but not hard enough to leave you tired for the rest of the week.

Again you might not do that every week - maybe fortnightly - so one week you 2 interval sessions, one week only one with your target pace run.

From a purely running point of view I don't think the turbo training will add much to your running and might detract from your training by tiring you out. I'm not saying don't do it but if you are purely interested in the running I dont think there is much point. Depends on how intense you go at it of course. I'm visualising you doing intervals on the turbo rather than just steady spinning.

One very important thing is I would try and get a better idea of what pace you are aiming for to help with pacing.
  • Options
    Thank you Ian. I hadn,t thought about that.

Thank you for your help Popsider. I will ditch one interval session and do what you recommended.
    Thank you guys for the help
    best wishes
    Anna