Options

Question for swimmers...

As many of you (if there's anyone left here) may know, my swimming is pretty carp....

...and I've just started back after doing almost nothing since Vit 2005...

So I'm wondering...how can I get up to a reasonable speed in the swim? Is it just a matter of putting in the lengths...or would a swim course be beneficial?

I keep looking at the TI classes but they are very expensive and I was wondering how worthwhile it would be...

Any thoughts / ideas??

Comments

• Options
    Looked at the book and DVD?

Cheaper and can be learnt.
  • Options
    do the course ... it you don get enough out of the book/dvd you need to know you are doing it right before practising it

a drill done wrong, at best, doesnt help
  • Options
    Join a Tri club ?

£2.50 every Saturday night, is the best money I've spent in years
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughts...I may have the book somewhere...I seem to recall buying it (maybe not reading it!) in 2005....I will think also about the course...even at the price...

I do have a local tri club but they might be a little peeved as I joined them briefly in 2005 to train for IMCH....then I left of course...might have to think about that...
  • Options
    I don't think there's a good substitute for training with a coach, you need to have someone tell you when you're doing something wrong, and endless lengths is not necessarily going to make you any faster. Our tri club coach is brilliant, gives us varied sessions, mix of drills and sprint work, always a total of between 3 and 4km each sesh, and never misses any errors by any of the swimmers.
  • Options
    Hi Ratbag,

I started swim lessons with my running /tri club a year ago and it has been worth every penny. I was sceptical but putting in the time and following a programme of technique drills, speed drills and a long swim each week really has made a difference.

When I started the lessons I had to 'relearn' front crawl - at the time this was very frustrating and it took over 8 weeks of feeling like I couldn't swim properly. However it is worth the effort.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Ratbag - my swimming saw a massive (well, for me) improvement after just one all day coaching session (I attended the Pirate swim clinic in Warwick). As a result I can now swim sub-30 1500m's and managed a sub-7 400m at Stratford this year. You'd be amazed at the difference a more efficient stroke makes.

There was talk of another Piarte swim clinic running (we'd have to speak very nicely to the instructors to see if they'd run it again). Otherwise invest in some coached swim lessons - maybe just 2 or 3 to start with, then go away and practice the drills you've been shown.
  • Options
    Ratbag - a couple of one-on-ones with a decent coach will make a huge difference

Trickster I am sure Lindi could persuade Mark to run anther clinic - but the last one at Warwick only happend because Mark missed the Windermere training weekend that year so he organised the extra session to make up for it

• Options
    Lessons and putting in the lengths. So the answer is.....both!
  • Options
    Maddy - I bumped into Mark and Anna at Stratford and they sounded like they'd be up for doing another one. Good thing to do in Autumn to give people all Winter and Spring to practice what they learn.
  • Options
    Trickster I bump into them all the time
  • Options
    Ratty just get down the pool and swim, stop making excuses!

TI ¦oD
  • Options
    Smiffy...thanks for your valuable input...

Actually that exactly what I intend to do...in fact I have started...

A swim clinic (especially in Warwick) would be a great idea!!

I think a session or two with a swim coach would be pretty helpful...

So who can arrange another clinic???
  • Options
    Ratbag - If you don't mind the drive Mark will have no problem with you dropping into the Warwick Uni club sessions especially the Sunday one which is probably easier for you to get to.
  • Options
    Maddy...you might need to explain a bit more about the Warwick Uni sessions...and who is Mark?? I'm assuming he is the coach person?

and how much does he charge?

etc...etc...
  • Options
    Mark ran the Pirate Warwick Uni swim clinic - he also runs Warwick Uni's tri club and does the swimming coaching.

The club swims between 6 and 7 on a sunday - often go over a little - and to swim in the club session you will have to pay as a visitor to the sports centre - £2.20 but it is a club session so it won't be one on one but if you introduce yourself as a newbie and a Pirate he will keep a slightly cloer eye on you

He did someone on one with Barley this year so you could sort that out afterwards - I don't know how that works
  • Options
    Thanks Maddy...

So, this isn't OW?

I'll need to check out where the sports centre is and maybe have a word with Barlos....

I appreciate your help...
  • Options
    Nope not OW but the pool is kept pretty cool

The sports centre is on the main campus in Cov and easy to get to off the A45 and A46 - can't remember how I got to Banbury from there I know we started on the A46

Most of the Pirates rave about Mark
  • Options
    RB

If you want to share the cost of some private coaching from Autumn onwards, I would be interested in doing a bit, as I would really like to properly make a breakthrough in speed rather than it just getting easier for the same speed, which is al I ever managed in the past....

I am in London, but mum is in B'ham so the occasional session at warwick could be a possibility
  • Options
    I also know the name of another good coach in Cov who has made a big difference to an already fast swimmer and I think coached at national level
  • Options
    Actually, could someone send me contact details for Mark?
  • Options
    If you email me smiley I will forward your details on
  • Options
    WHWH...could be a good idea..

I'm following up another line of enquiry at the moment but if we do it, I think I know one other person that might want to do this...

Thanks Maddy for all your help... I have a couple of phone calls to make and then need to decide what to do...

Mind you I think I might be intimidated by a coach who has coached at National level...
  • Options
    I think Dan has coached some of Warwick Uni's age groupers on an ad hoc basis - he is quite down to earth - a lot of a lad actually but knows about swimming
  • Options
    This isn't totally relevant but does anyone know why swimmers do hundreds of lengths in training, even if they only race over 100 metres? It seems a bit like Linford Christie doing marathon training.
  • Options
    swimming is very much a technique based sport. It takes thousands of repititions of any muscular movement before it becomes "natural" hense the need to do many and long training sessions. Another factor is that swimming is not an impact sport so you are less likely to suffer an injury and can tolerate higher training loads.
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    I'm also still having trouble swimming after nearly 2 years of learning. I've had lessons and done a weekend workshop with The Shaw Method, but still cannot do 25m comfortably and it's now getting me down. I can't afford to join a club or pay for any more lessons so if there's a Pirate who fancies a few hours with me to try to work out what I'm doing wrong, I would be more than grateful and will repay the favour (not sure how, maybe several pints at a social perhaps).

:-)
  • Options
    I am happy to take a look if we can find a convenient pool (no idea where you live) but I'm not a teacher and don't know how to 'teach'. When you say can't do 25m comfortably - what do you mean? In terms of breathing or what?