Options

Beta-blockers and running

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of running whilst taking beta-blockers?

I started running around mid April and am currently in training for the Great North Run and all’s been well so far with modest but satisfying progress.

However, I’ve recently noticed some strange patterns in my performance and I’m wondering if they could be to do with the beta-blockers that I need to take for hypertension.

I’ve noticed that sometimes, my long run - 8 miles this week - feels great and I could carry on for miles. Other times the same distance (or even less!) feels like hell.

Until recently, I decided that it was ‘just one of those things’. That is, until I started wearing my HRM. I got the HRM years ago when I used to do a lot of cycling but I hadn’t worn it for running until a few weeks ago.

The pattern I’ve noticed is that on a long run, if my HR gets up to around 130-140 BPM, everything’s great and I feel like I could run forever.

On the runs when I feel like hell, my HR maxes out at around 110 BPM and I before long, my legs feel like lead, my lungs burn and I just have to walk.

This was particularly pronounced on my 8 mile run today. About 10 minutes before leaving for my run, I took a beta-blocker. For the first 3 miles at 10 minute mileing, my HR was 130-ish. After that, without any reduction in pace, it dropped until it stabilised at around 110 BPM. After 5 miles, increasingly tired, I had to do the rest of the session as a run/walk.

Within a minute of stopping, my HR was down to 97. Once I got home, I checked my BP and it was 120/100

My theory is that on the days when I feel good, I’ve run early and therefore haven’t taken the beta-blocker until after the run. I’m tempted to experiment with not taking the beta-blocker until after I’ve run, but I’m slightly concerned that this may not be the medically correct thing to do.

Regards,

Mikey

Comments

• Options
    I have recently started taking a mild beta-blocker specifically to allow me to continue running as I went into atrial fibrilation during a half marathon in June and also on a number of subsequent training runs.The choice was to give up running or run slower keeping the heart rate down.
    I wear a heart monitor always when running and try to run at about 138 or thereabouts as if I go too hard and get above 145 I can start to get some very irregular (and high) numbers and I don't want to make a habit of going into AF.
    I don't have a problem with very low rates but I do feel much more tired than I used too even though I am running a whole lot slower(10.5 min miles instead of 8 min)
    I think maybe you could reduce your dose but obviously check with the doc first.
    I managed the Glasgow Half marathon on Sunday but in 2 hours 19 (my PB is 1.45) and will try a bit faster at the GNR next month.
    Best of luck,
    Chas
  • Options
    MikeyMikey ✭✭✭

Chas,

many thanks for the reply.

I've actually discussed this with the GP now and there's now a much fuller thread discussing it on a different forum. You can read it here.

Cheers,

Mikey