Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    katypie- i got mine in nike superstore in tillicoutry...stirlingshire
  • Options
    katypie - the 'not running today?' comment is the CLASSIC!
    usually it is the total couch potatoes who ask me that one - so tempted to reply (particularly to the chubby ones) 'I wish i could carbo-load as effectively as you seem to be able to' ...
    but then I am Not a Nice Person :)

• Options
    a wee tip for first timers...try not to keep looking at your watch,or mile markers..
    just look around ,enjoy the sights,chat away to other runners,and the miles will just melt away..
    and at water stations,take your water and move away from tables,sip your drink..take 30 secs or so then run on...depends on what water is in..if its cups its hard to drink on run..if bottles then with more experience you can keep running while drinking..
  • Options
    yeh these comments from non-runners
    i remember one couch potato at work saying "running today"?
    i said "no its a rest day" you know rest days..you should know as you have 7 of them eevery week
  • Options
    Why does the EM website say there's only 1 day to go? Did I miss a day somewhere? Did I miss the train?!
  • Options
    Oh crumbs reading this does get the adrenaline gong. Morning everyone.

Clothes all washed and laid out. I'm afraid I will be listening to my radio - attached to my phone anyway! I can't miss the Archers, can I. That way I'll see the miles run away! Well if the legs aren't so stiff. Lousy night's sleep last night. Sure that will only get worse. My last big (3½ hours) run I went on to work at the football from lunch time to 11pm! No stiffness and great feeling.

Good luck all those coming up here.

• Options
    I'll try and be at the med tent, light blue vest,dark blue stripe,dark blue shorts and bow legs, bemused expression likely to ramble. Can't wait.
    BLD
  • Options
    Anaesthesia

'not running today' is as offensive as when you diet and someone says 'should you be eating that?'. It brings the worst out in me....

• Options
    My particular favourite was the less than sporty looking ned (apart from the baseball cap obviously) who said Awright dumper truck as I ran past one sunny Sunday afternoon.
    Like he could run a marathon!!
  • Options
    BB hope your calves are Ok for Sunday. My back is a bit better. Have to keep fingers crossed it will ease off. ..
  • Options
    Someone at work has just asked me 'is a marathon always the same length?' HELP ......
    I just wish this one was only 13.1 miles. Reading all your comments is making me nervous - good luck to everyone on Sunday.
  • Options
    Ive read this thread for the last month or so, getting more and more anxious day by day but in an exiting way.

Its been great to read and very entertaining.

hope you all enjoy and acheive your goals if not theres always another day another marathon.

best wishes

kryton (off home to pack)

ps bb how was your time for the 5 miler?
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind the comments from the local yoof as long as they were original...
  • Options
    im always looking for a chance to plug my other hobby..poetry writing....you can see where i get my ideas..while out running
    anyway..on www.allpoetry.com/poets/billy
    you can click on all my work and read...some may inspire you all before sunday..theres one called "couch potato"which weve just been talking about..one called "marathon"

enjoy...
  • Options
    sorry for wandering off the marathon topic...but its all related...im trying to relax you all,and inspire you to go out and run a great race..
  • Options
    Guinevere--all these aches and pains are normal, it happens through tension. My left leg fell off the other day!!!
    I like it when people on the street corner yell " get a life"
    Yeah right
  • Options
    kryton..5 miler is tonight..did 33mins last year..
  • Options
    Guinevere - I am horrified at the "awright Dumper Truck" comment! Though it has made me laugh (sorry!). On Sunday when I was running with my chum we passed a couple who said to us "Keep it up, you'll be doing the marathon next". Imagine their surprise when we said that we are!!!

As for sly comments, my running buddy wins the prize for what her boss said to her. She said "Oh, are you doing the marathon? I just thought you wouldn't be able to even run a mile." Aaaaaaargh!!!!!

I'm making a of everyone's clothes to go with their numbers so I don't miss anyone on Sunday. Irrationally, I'm starting to feel shy!!!

Squawk! Eeek! Shriek! Gulp! etc
  • Options
    Guinevere - sorry, meant to say about my timings. I reckon your estimates are pretty much spot on for me as well. In my training, Arthur's Seat has consistently taken me 40-45 minutes or so. I'm determined not to get carried away and go faster than normal cos of excitement.

ps: When should I go and buy the EN?
  • Options
    Good luck to all fellow runners doing Edinburgh on Sunday.

I'm really looking forward to it. I've started to get all the phantom aches and pains !!

Cold bath tonight for the last time before the marathon.

See you Sunday..........

• Options
    I tried the cold bath treatment on Sunday , and it wasn't as bad as I feared and I felt quite refreshed at the end.

The closer Sunday gets the less worried I am feeling, taking the attitude that will be will be on the big day.

Good running to you all
  • Options
    Hi FAJ
    Looks like our times will be about the same - will be good to have someone to chat to!
    You should of course buy the EN tonight, Monday AND Tuesday!
    My piece is now online today (www.edinburghnews.com - click on features on the lefthand menu) but I shouldn't be discouraging sales! There is a handy map which is slightly better than the one in the final details booklet

Ian and Ellie and BLD - yes hopefully the aches and pains will pass! Am going for a gentle swim this afternoon and will try a cold shower or bath BRRRR
  • Options
    My final few words on the forum before THE BIG DAY! (as i don't have a pc at home, oh, and I'm on my lunch break!!). Good Luck to everyone, it's been good to follow the thread. Hopefully be able to identify some of you on the day. What I want to know is 'what the hell do I do now?' when it is all over?? Cheerz....NB
  • Options
    Sounds like I'm the same time as a few other five alivers...1hr for 10K and 2:20 for 1/2M...I'll chat- only I find for at least the first 30 minutes my breathing is all a bit to-pot so chatting more difficult. Takes me about 3 miles to get into my stride. I'm taking energy tablets, gels and carrying my drinking bottle with lucozade sport in it. Arranged for family to be around half way with more lucozade to top me up.

Did I see mention of carrying mobile phone? I could fit mine in bumbag thing but I wasn't sure. I know people in FLM took phones so could call spectators to update on where they are so they can see on course.

I'm selling my flat and have viewing at 2-4 on Sunday!! As I think it'll take me 5 hours I'll not finish until 2 and would like b-friend and family to see me run in at end. Think I'll put note on door to say away running marathon and someone will be in at 3- could send b-friend back to flat at 3.
  • Options
    Kitty - I am exactly the same, takes me at least half an hour to get warmed up! I'm about 1hr for 10K and 2hr 20 for 1/2M. Am going to give myself about 2hr 30 for first half of the marathon and then hope to do the second half in no more than 2hr 30. That's the plan anyway!!!!

poor you having to worry about the flat sale - I sold mine earlier this year and moved house and it was a definite stress!

maybe so many people will be cheering us on that there won't be many flat viewers anyway?!
  • Options
    Right, that's me away for the afternoon so it's goodbye from me until this evening. Needless to say, my first stop will be the newsagent to buy the EN!
  • Options
    Oops - almost forgot:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
  • Options
    natural blonde- for some after the marathon..training goes on and on and on and on..oh i make it sound like a chore..which it isnt..
    you will be on a high for a while after it...well it is a great achievement
  • Options
    Steady - can you add me to your list? number 1840, thanks!
  • Options
    I really am off now - for all those people that I won't cyberspeak to between now and the big day:

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

We're all going to be magnificent.