Options

Help - how do I cope with hills?

Comments

• Options
    Since starting doing spin classes at my gym my uphill running has massively improved - now I find that on hills I often easily pass runners that I have trouble keeping up with on the flat!

I think that half the battle is in your head, and if you can tell yourself as you're going up that "this will make me stronger" then they lose the fear factor?

Now each time I come to a hill I tell myself over and over that "I'm good on hills", and it seems to work!
  • Options
    not saying I'm uber fast, just that I'm happy on most hills now :-)
  • Options
    I disagree that running around (avoiding hills) is a luxary. There is nothing more rewarding and exhilarating than running up to the crest of a hill and looking all around at beautiful views and to glance back down at what you have achieved.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    WCP, well done on completing your first 5k. It's a great feeling! With regard to hills I have just the same problem - I can't go for a run at home without going up and down them and when I first started running there was no way I could get all the way up any of them in one go.

I persevered and would run up them as far as I could and then walk the rest of them. Gradually the amount I could run increased until I could run all the way up and that was a marvellous feeling.

Don't beat yourself up if you can't always run up them as you can have off days even as a more experienced runner. One tactic I employ is to focus on a point about 15 feet in front and run towards that, then as I pass that point I focus on another point 15 feet in front and so it goes on. I don't look down as I find this interferes with my running form and I don't look at the top of the hill because I think that can sometimes be too daunting.

On particularly steep hills it can help to pump your arms (if you know what I mean) to help push yourself forwards and shorten your stride.

You also need to practise running downhill as that can be as tough as running up them. The trick is not to hold back too much as that puts a lot of pressure on your pelvis. Try to keep your body upright and in-line with the surface you're running on. This means you are in effect leaning forwards slightly and then let the momentum carry you.

You'll find that eventually you'll come to love those hills as they give you great stamina. Good luck with your training and enjoy your first 10k.
  • Options
    Ah... I was just going to comment that no one had mentioned pumping arms, then Redhead beat me to it. It's bizarre but concentrating on pumping arms really seems to help.

Other than that, go slow and keep going. Even walking keeps that momentum up.
  • Options
    hi,

re looking down when running up hills. as i've said i do find this a useful technique but other people's comments re body position are correct. it is important to keep your head and chest up and just drop your eyes to the road about 10 feet ahead and not let them stray up to the top of the hill and weep ;-)
  • Options
    Personally I prefer to look up the hill as it keeps my windpipe open. I'm normally puffing quite hard at this point and the more oxygen I can get in, the better.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I agree very much with DTB. If I think along the lines of "this hill is hard, so i will be getting stronger" instead of "this hill is hard, i'll give it a miss next time" it can spur me on.
    Obviously this can sometimes be hard to put into practice but i think its worth a try.
    Happy hill running...
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    I approach hills like a challenge. I drop down a gear, shorten my stride & slow down, head down and keep going. I will not let a hill beat me, and if I have to walk I make sure it is a brisk pace, which is often quicker and more efficient than running.

Using the mentality of 'its going to make be a better runner' is a good motivator.

The terrain you are on can make a big difference though. On roads you know there aren't going to be any traction issues - so you just grit your teeth and keep on plodding. Off-road you need to look a few yards ahead constantly to pick out the best line....where its less slippy (look for grass or fallen leaves - avoid wet mud).

Only way to improve is to get out there and run up hills, pushing yourself - it will hurt, but you will improve!

Running downhill?.......well thats a different forum in itself!
  • Options
    It's only a concern becuase its an unknown quantity.

As has been said already, it's mostly in your head. Most races finish at pretty much the same place, so you'll go downhill as much as you go uphill (though you might not notice so much!).

Everyone new to running will have their first 5K, and if you keep it up the time will come when you'll run your first hill too.

The more hills you do the more confident you'll become. Practice makes perfect (well, probably not perfect!).
  • Options
    i enjoy hills, there is little flat land where i live, slight inclines to very steep ones.

I look at hills as a challenge and part of the run, not as something to fear or avoid.

If i go on a longer training run always include a big hill or two, you are cheating yourself if you dont, when it comes to running in races you cant avoid the hills.
  • Options
    Ah hills, this is something I'm going to have to conquer, will go back and read all the posts when I can. I've entered my first marathon, and off all the ones to pick I chose Snowdon...will there be hills there I wonder ? :-O

I do enjoy hills, but mainly because I love running fast downhill, assuming the ascent doesn't turn your legs to jelly. I try and do one set of Kenyan hills in my local park, it's a 1k loop and takes about 7 mins, try to do 10 reps with 1 minute rest....still, not prep for a 3 miles steady climb, need to go off to the Lakes for some of that !
  • Options
    Hills are great, and much more interesting than boring flat runs.
    Try concentrating on the views,and you will soon forget any discomfort getting up there. It doesn't matter if you have to walk occasionally, just watch fell runners at work.
    I think that Grasmere sports is on next week, just watch the runners in the guide races. Brilliant, but they don't all run all the way! and they are seriously good runners.
  • Options
    Hello WCP

I started the race at the back last year, didn't finish there though. Psychologically I prefer to be able to pass the odd person rather than be overtaken by loads of people.

I did R4L in Truro on Sunday and started in the middle - couldn't begin to run until nearly 1K, it was sooo narrow and crowded. It isn't like that at Lanhydrock, though.

• Options
    Following some advice in RW a few months ago, I alter my gait now when I run up challenging hills.

I run on my toes and rather than running with my arms across my body, I try and keep them like pistons at the side.

It really has helped me.
  • Options
    A recommendation when you reach the brow of the hill (apart from a deep breath of relief) is to drop the shoulders and let the arms shake out and hang loose for a few seconds.
    Try not to force yourself back into your normal stride and just continue with shorter strides tabbing away and allow your legs to naturally fall back into their normal stride pattern.
    Good luck
  • Options
    After today's run I've just remembered why I enjoy hills. Seemed to really run up and down the hills well and seemed to find loads and loads in my 7 mile run around Exeter. Lots of short strides is certainly the way to master them and the feeling when I reach the top of some of the longer hills is certainly much more rewarding than any running on the flat.
  • Options
    Well, I am still going at the hills and I have to say that your combined (!) advice here is really helping...I have given up 'fighting' the hills and wishing they would go away and now am resigned to them being there!

Even went as far as borrowing a heart monitor for one run and as it didn't go as high as I'd imagined (still within my training zone apparently!) I am now at least re-assured that I'm not (hopefully!) about to drop dead from over-exertion!

Am trying to befriend the hills - maybe that could be my now mantra 'I am befriending the hills'?
  • Options
    Shorten your step, pump arms, look ahead, listen to a good slow beat song and work, oh yes and enjoy! Hard, but good for me in West Yorks - a hilly place!
  • Options
    wcp, just don't say it out loud if there are people about!
  • Options
    runner duck, you're quite right, not something to say outloud! Mind you, nothing could be more embarassing than my run today - my girls wanted to come with me so decided to go up to the playing field at the end of our village and trudge round it so they could go on the swings...except there was a football festival and it was packed with cars, parents & their off-spring!! The kids couldn't have cared less but quite of the parents just gawped! Still did it though!
  • Options
    good for you! i'm sure i'd have sloped off with a beetroot face! top marks for dedication to the cause :-)
  • Options
    I've been training for a race this Sunday which has a nasty hill in it which you have to do twice - so my husband is being dispatched to the hill so he can shout at me to get up the bl***y thing the second time round!

• Options
    excellent strategy!
  • Options
    Can I just add to some of the other comments on here - How fortunate you are to live in a hilly area! Hills are fantastic for building strength, endurance, and character. Just take them nice and easy, no need to race up them, and before you know it, you'll be a fell runner ;-)
  • Options
    running on your toes has already been mentioned

A variation I'm not sure whether I invented or read about is to concentrate on picking up your heels rather than the normal running gait of pushing forward - which when you think about it is driving into the hill rather than up it

just a thought but it works for me
  • Options
    hi guys,
    just thought i would add my penny's worth .... hills are excellent for you stamina..... and if trained on successfully then they can enhance your fitness and any races you do on the flat are effortless!!

hills are ace.....

sad.p
  • Options
    Something I found helped from an article several years ago in Runners World.
    Keep your arms bent and pretend that you have reins in your hands. On each step forward pull slightly on the "rein" in the opposite hand to the foot. Does this make sense? I found it very useful when I was getting back into the swing of running following having children.
  • Options
    hi,
    went out last night for a run inspired by this thread....

Basically its around about 7-8 miles and takes in a very steep hill which climbs for about 3 miles!,I have used this run in the past for various training purposes.

Best time was 1hr 6 mins..... until last night when inspired by the people on this thread and for once i was feeling really,really good i pushed on and completed it in 1hr 5 mins!

My technique?..... well... it's to keep my head up,look a few yards in front and to pump my arms slightly faster than usual,which will automatically make your legs follow suit,i try to keep my breathing deep and regular...... then its all in your head.... stubborness (hope i spelt it right) is a great thing to have when climbing hills!!!

sad.p
  • Options
    One of the contributors mentioned using a heart rate monitor. HRMs are mainly of use for efforts longer than 3 min due to physiological lag - it takes a while for your heart to get up to speed for what's required of it. You would have finished the effort and recovering while your HR is still on the up. If you're running 3 min hill reps, then mucho respect and them some to you.