Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options

Many Happy Returns to PaulS4 & Swittle.image

Yep Swittle, I am indeed over the water.  I'm not too far from the green church dome that you should be able to spy from your routes.  My routes head up the River Mersey towards Seacombe Ferry or along the seafront in the direction of Moreton Shore, if that means anything to you?  I'm usually on The Prom by 6.30am.

Got out last night for my speed reps, as I'd been too weary in the morning.  It was bit of a struggle after a day in work, but felt good when finished.  Was a lovely sunny evening, so lots of people out with dogs & babies etc.

Jog watch - 3

Commuter Cyclists - way too many to count (run co-incided with arrival of the busiest Ferry of the evening)

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Just got the sudden urge to post up last night's run, mostly because it was so late last night that I couldn't get online afterwards.

Oh, Happy Birthday Swittle!

Got out at ten past nine, so it was fairly dark by then.  Decided to take the Alpkit off-road.  The fields were fine, the footpaths were fine, but I did get a little perturbed by my inability to see the stiles I was heading for across the fields.  Luckily I knew the route.  Doubt you could see them with a spotlight, anyway.  I decided after a mile through the fields not to take it onto the rocky streambeds up the top of the hill, but to stick with the roads and the firetracks.  Actually, I decided to switch the beam off up the one firetrack, and could see anyway when my nightvision settled in.  Not enough to see the surface of the track, but I trusted it and gave my legs a good workout feeling for the uneven ground.  At the top of the firetrack was a path through trees and very dark.  The trusty alpkit got me through it though here I noted my first issue - it's difficult to tell the difference between dry earth and wet mud, until you're in it.  Just to note that the second issue was related, the difficulty of distinguishing horse droppings on the roads.

Onto the roads, and back to the single LED instead of the beam.  It's bright enough.  Oh, third issue, on the LED you tend to imagine you're suffering from tunnel vision!  You can get lulled into that one, but once you've noted it, it's fine.

I had some tough hills on the route which I wasn't expecting, because of taking the roads, so came home early and easy.

4.64 miles, about 50 minutes.
    jogwatch - 0 (what did you expect?)
    carwatch - 2 (not bad for 50 minutes!)

• Options

Enjoyable lunchtime trot in the sunshine.

Through the golf course, (loads of golfers about) up the gravel lanes, over the main road then through the private estate. It is like Desperate Housewives-ville in there, the houses are HUGE, and never any traffic about. Then out onto the reality of the main road home from Purley into Coulsdon.

Felt harder coming back than it should have, maybe that was all the beer and late night yesterday catching up with me!

5.38 miles in 39:32

JogWatch 0

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Felt stiff from Sunday's 10 miles but cycled to work  (brrr) and felt much better as a result.

At lunchtime I went for an interval session ... the plan was just to run 2 x 1 miles at my predicted 10 mile race pace, in readyness for Sundays race. But my watch needs a new battery and it clearly wasn't talking to the foot-pod very well, registering my first (measured) mile at 0.85 mile. Consequently my "live pace" reading was way out too, so I over-cooked the intervals and ended up doing 5K pace.image

1 mile jog (8:45 m/m, 129 bpm),

1 mile @ 7:01 m/m (158/165 bpm), recover to 120 bpm,

1 mile @ 6:59 m/m (156/164 bpm), recover to 120 bpm,

1 mile jog 9:34 m/m 91(40 bpm).

As always on cycle/run days, I now dread the uphill cycle home later on! image

• Options

Did a fastish 4 today, gonna do a tempo tomorrow though so didn't want to push it too much. Ended up with a pretty good time considering the conditions.

4.07 Miles in 31:37. Average HR was 75% of MHR, peaking at 81% over last minute when I pushed it. Overall, I'm happy with that. Was much easier than I thought it would be considering heart rate. 

• Options

Today I was out at 5:40am for a quick couple of miles ('easy' day on the schedule)!! It was freezing when I left and I was glad of my running tights, ran at 9:25 m/m pace and just coasted round.image

• Options
    Just a quick happy birthday to Swittleimageimage
  • Options

Happy birthday to Swittle & Paul!

I've been reading this slightly enviously, as I had a shopping expedition to buy new running gear last weekend - then promptly got a stinky cold and wasn't feeling well enough to go out. When some clever scientist type invents a commercial use for cattarh (glue would be my first suggestion) I'll have been sitting on a gold mine! How can one head produce so much yuck?!?!

But I've been feeling better this week, so went out today. Just a brief circuit to test out the breathing apparatus, the new insoles and new shorts. Was tempted to leave it until it got dark and test out the new headtorch & highvis vest, but decided against it - save that fun for another day!

So took it fairly easy, and walked between the 3 stiles just for today (while having a good hack and blow to clear the tubes!). no watch, but approx 30 mins for 2.6 miles.

Insoles felt a bit strange, as they have more builtup heels than the insoles that were in the shoes, but we'll see how they go - a bit premature to judge on only one outing.

Dogwatch - 16!
    Horsewatch - 1 (probably incontinent, judging by the poo piles left across the field)

• Options

Happy Birthday Swittle and PaulS4 imageimage

An unusual event for me today - a lunch time run.  My firm moved offices last week from a lovely old building in Grantham to a faceless block in Lincoln.  It's nearly a 70 mile round trip to get to work now, so I thought I'd try running at lunch time at least once a week.  So, last night I checked out the local roads to the office on map my run and found a nice little 4.2 mile circuit. 

Come 1 pm tpoday it was very sunny and rather hot for this time of year.  Down Doddington Road, then right onto Tritton Road, right turn onto Newark Road, past loads of little shops I never knew existed, past Asda then right turn up Station Road, a bit of a wait at the level crossing for a very long goods train, past the vintage vehicle museum (little S will love that!),  then a left turn back up Doddington road to the office.  A good run, but very noisy - I'm not used to running with so much traffic around.

I treated myself to a kitkat from the tuck wagon in the afternoon - yum!

• Options

Evening folks & many happy returns to the birthday boys & girls.

Thought I'd try the club splinter group tonight so turned up expecting a range of abilities to find I was the slowest. Hey ho I'm not bothered - did some jog, hill sprints (phew puff puff) jog, tempo (me sprinting to stop falling behind too much) & a bit more jog.

Overall about 7 miles so have done a whopping 22 miles this week with a half planned on Sunday.....

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Happy birthday, PaulS4, in, ooo, 3 and a half hours' time image

And thank-you, all, for your kind thoughts, as I settle comfortably into the V55 category image

Ye, Ickle Legs, I know where you mean and can see the prom from college in Bootle if I wander up to the 6th floor.  Used to run a circuit with my old running club from Wallasey Village to Egremont and on to Harrison Drive before doubling back after the golf club.

0630  Took a turn round Crosby with my running pal, heading past Chesterfield School and back into the village before crossing the railway at Brighton-le-Sands and heading for South Road & home.  Pleasantly cool - my chum ran out of steam 5 minutes from base but exceeded my expectations again.  I even mentioned the "R" word. image

5.5 miles, 52:46, JogWatch: a v. impressive 7 

• Options

Hope the Birthday has been a good one Swittle!!!  Thanks to all you guys for the encouragement I got from you all following my races on Sunday.  I am still on a high and have several races lined up for early next year (providing I get in as they are very popular).  Tonight it was back down to club for a nice easy session which involved a run around the outskirts of Withernsea.  As always my favourite part of this run is along the  promenade as I love to watch the sea as we run past.  Run distance tonight was 5.7 miles and was done in approx 52 minutes which meant it was nice and relaxed and was able to maintain a good conversation all the way round.  Plenty of dog walkers out tonight enjoying the nice dry evening.

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

0630    Much warmer this morning and quite still.  My friend & I took a circuit of Waterloo, Seaforth and the boundaries of the Freeport before returning to base.  A decent pace for 30 minutes but then we backed off a fair bit, as she's not run for 9 months.

5 miles, 44:07, JogWatch: 2

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Lovely sweaty lunchtime weather!  Got out just after twelve and did the  local 4 mile loop with Speedster.  Told him today that we would run slow, fast, slow, fast for each mile, and it did make it more interesting than just racing around.  We think we did the fast miles in about 6 minutes each which would mean the slow miles were about 9 minutes each.  He lost me on the last mile, managing to gain over 40 seconds by the end of it.  I am jealous.  But he's tall, and heavy, and I'll thrash him over an ultra... image

Jogwatch: 6, all ignorant.  It's not like home...

• Options

7 miles, 7:40 mm, frustrating tweaks, nips and flashes of the impending injury my fcuking legs have decided to bestoy upon my body.

I predict a few weeks of relative inactivity.

Bollocks.

• Options

happy birthday Paulimageimage I couldn't work out if it was today or yesterday, so my apologies if it's belated.

Gym session for me tonight.  3 miles of 2min 5mph 2min 8mph followed by 130 crunches. Next run tomorrow with the club.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Evening MLRers ... rest day for me today ... excellent thread here if you're looking for some interesting reading...

Hadd training

• Options
    I got to page 7 and TBH got a little lost, although what I did understand made sense!!image
  • Options

Did my 'Tempo run' this morning, only 4 hrs kip and felt like it!!image

I did my normal Warrington loop with 1st mile @ 9m/m pace and the next 4 all over the place from 7:25-9m/m pace!!

5.37 miles in 43.47mins.image

• Options

Le Gav - unlucky, hope you're on the mend soon image

Swittle - yep., Egremont/Harrison Drive - that's my plodding ground.

Treated myself to an extra half hour in bed this morning & it was still dark when I got to The Prom around 6.30am.  Did my "Hills" route today and enjoyed a good, strong run.  V.pleased, as I'm tackling 6 miles LSR on Saturday.image

Slightly random, but I've been out & about walking arond 7-7.30pm the last couple of nights - I can't believe how many Runners I've seen.  Made me quite envious as it must be a nice time to go, but really wouldn't fit with my body clock/schedule (plus, I might find an excuse not to).  Seems to be the popular time, tho'. I guess it gives people a chance to get in/rest/eat/sort kids etc. before getting out.  Anyhoos.....

• Options

Sneaked in a quick run whilst waiting for the plumber to arrive. Have held off running for what seems like ages so I could concentrate on my end of course exam. That was yesterday and went better than expected compared to last years. Saw the Proclaimers in the evening to round off a strange kind of day so wasn't able to celebrate with a run then. Anyway

5.71 miles in 40:46 @ 7:08mm

Jogwatch 1

YT: 801, MT: 5.71 

• Options

Afternoon.

Did a medium paced 7 mile run today. Was expecting about 55 minutes but was amazed to end up with 53, with average HR only 75% of MHRimage It's like I've found an extra gear since my last LSR. 

And I felt fantastic, like I wasn't pushing it at all image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Reapeated Tuesday's plan to run 2 x 1 miles at my predicted 10 mile race pace, in readyness for Sundays race. Started badly as I left my footpod at home, so had to guess pace.

1 mile jog (8:46 m/m, 129 bpm),

1 mile @ 7:20 m/m (152/159 bpm), recover to less than 120 bpm,

1 mile @ 7:16 m/m (151/157 bpm), recover,

1 mile jog 9:59 m/m (133 bpm).

A bit more ensible than the 7 min/miles on Tuesday and I felt much more comfortable. Still too fast for for me for a 10 mile race though ...

• Options

Weather was certainly cooler this evening. Went out a bit after 5 and was distinctly chilly to start with - even cught glimpses of steam from my breath!

Extended loop tonight. As I crossed the first field, I thought that they'd be harvesting soon, as it had gone that yellow/gold colour and was a bit scratchy and dry (no idea what it is - 2 generations back we were farmers, but that piece of ancestral memory has long since departed!) 2 fields later and there's a combine harvester doing the business! They're just a little on the large side, if you've never stood that close to one. Bit of a breeeze, lots of cloud and the cold got stuck in my throat so I spent the next hour coughing - obviously not completely over the cold yet.

4.1 miles in 46:11 so that's 11:16 min/miles.

Must increase the time out, need to get up towards the hour /10k mark...

Dogwatch - 13 (not quite up to Tuesday total)
    Horse watch - 2 and a small one
    Combine harvester watch - 1 (couldn't really miss it!)

• Options
    DD I really tried with that link, but it went way over my head.image
  • Options
    Another club night tonight.  A very mild night tonight and not even a breeze to cool us down.  Warm up jog round Carrs Meadow before starting on a relatively short session.  After the warm up jog we did a 400m circuit followed by a 400m jog recovery.  We then upped the circuit to 800m with a 800m jog recovery.  Then it was back down to the 400m circuit and 400m jog recovery.  Finished off with another 800m circuit and 800m jog recovery before jogging back to the light house.  image
  • Options

Evening all - I think I need to become a postie or a duck, although being short hasn't helped me reach the speedy speeds of short stop....

Club night & you'd think with lots of us doing a half on Sunday they would choose a nice little route (or don't you taper for a half...) anyway NO- out in the dark with head torches for a hilly 5 miles. OK not super quick (50mins ish) but lots of effort which I'm not sure I could afford..... 

Jogwatch -

8 at the start,

0 at the end because everyone kept blinding me with their torches. 

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

0625  Still and remarkably warm after a little rain.  Up into Crosby and over the railway, then on the deserted, wide roads of Blundellsands past the "Key Park" [key needed to enter].  The Serpentine took me to the prom and I went against my better judgement by choosing half a mile on the beach in near darkness image.  Got sort of used to the light but baled out at the Baths and took the cycle way & side roads home.

5 miles, 42:11, JogWatch: 0 [couldn't really see anyone anyway!] 

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Easy evening run for me, 5.6 miles with only one race pace mile, the rest gentle.  Felt a little tired in the last mile home so will taper properly now for the race on Sunday, and by taper I mean do sod all for a couple of days.  Maybe.  image

5.6m ~50mins

Jogwatch 3

• Options

Greetings all!  Club run tonight, I ran with the same group as last week while I get used all the routes.  I got even more confused tonight running round housing estates I never knew existed and got held up at the level crossing for a good 5 minutes while two ridiculously long goods trains pottered through.  6.3 miles tonight at an average pace of bang on 10 min miles.  The route felt a lot longer than that because of wating for those daft trains.

local youfs shouting stoopid comments - 6

chilled galss of wine at the end of the run - 1