Options

Any IT techies (literates) around???

Even though I work in the IT business, I'm a bit of a techie numpty when it comes to probs on my home PC.

The thing is that I used to be able to play YouTube vids and also cgange preferences on my search engine (Google).

I keep getting told on YouTube that either|I haven't got the latest version of Flashplayer (I think that's the one) or there is summat up with my browser. Simlarly Google tells me my browser isn't accepting cookies.

Well, I tried but can't download Flashplayer for some reason and I have re-installed my browser (Explorer 7.0, also, I think).

Nothing has changed although sometimes, when I first lof on to YouTube, I can play one video and then the next try, I get that message.

Any ideas??

I have also changed security settings to low BTW...

Thanks for any ideas...

RB

Comments

• Options
    I had the same problem Ratbag. Do you use McAfee? I googled the problem and found a fix. Had to rename a registry file for Flash (not within the actual registry though so you can't mess up the rest of your machine). I think the file you want is something like FLASHXX.ocx? Wil be under setting - do a search. Rename that file (I think) and you will be able to download flash 9 and use UTube again.
  • Options
    Throw it out of the window.
  • Options
    You could try a system restore to a previous date when your PC worked to your satisfaction.

Restore is in Accessories, System Tools.

Warning restoring back to an earlier is likely to remove any programs, updates etc that have been installed since. You can however save your current system settings and restore back to todays state if necessary.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    download Firefox browser and use that - it has it's own version of Flashplayer so won't conflict with IE7......you can then leave IE7 for whatever else you need it for - which ain't much really!!

and kill any paid for Antivirus progs as they are pains in the arse - try the free version of Avast or AVG as they don't have some many OS conflicts

• Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    10/10 for that answer FB
  • Options
    Hmmmm...OK. I do have a paid for antivirus / firewall / etc etc...prog...will disable, though it didn't cause probls before...

any preference between Avast and AVG?

Cheers for the help...

Oh, and by the way, will this sort out the Google issue? This seems to have cropped up at the same time...
  • Options
    Dont disable anything before downloading and enabling new stuff. However, I don't think that new stuff will just fix the problem. You'll need to do the registry changes too. If you've already paid for it though, I'd carry on using (unless it's Norton in which case burn it).

I've used AGV before and found it pretty good. I bought AVG aswell and the paid for version is faster. Firewall wise you can get hold of Zonealarm for free. I've got it from www.downloads.com before.
  • Options
    Thanks BDB...

I've got a CA anti-everything program...always seemed to be OK before...so I can't work out what happened...

I'm really not sure how to do what you recommend though..

How do I rename a registry file? where exactly is it and what file do I rename? Also what do I rename it to?

That's how much of a numpty I am at these things...
  • Options
    Hmmmm...now I come to think of it, it might be shockwave that won't download...

oh sh*t, maybe I'd better check and come back again tomorrow....
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    RB - don't go anywhere near the registry editor unless you truly now what you are doing..........it's probably the most important piece of data on your computer and tells the OS how everything works together..........

mail me if you need any help
  • Options
    RB - it's not the registry itself. As FB says, you really don't want to mess with that.

I'll see if I can find the thing that I did to fix and post back.
  • Options
    Here is is! Read down and its the post that goes on about going into settings. It's waht I did and everything is OK for me know.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks BDB. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

FB, if I run into trouble or it doesn't work, I'll drop you a mail.

Cheers
  • Options
    What Coops said ;-D